Gameday Tigers

Football Signing Day

LSUDad

A good write up, signing day is December 19th. 

LSU and the early signing period: See list of recruits, national rankings, more

br.dunhamcapitol.101318_HS_209

Dunham's Derek Stingley (24) on the field before kickoff against Capitol, Friday, October 12, 2018, at BREC's Memorial Stadium in Baton Rouge, La.

Advocate staff photo by HILARY SCHEINUK

The early signing period for college football begins Wednesday, LSU coach Ed Orgeron has said the coaching staff feels very strong about the 19 verbal commitments they've received.

Each school is permitted 25 scholarships per recruiting class.

With the class of 2019 being loaded with elite Louisiana talent, it's an important time for the Tigers. 

Story Continued Below

Below is a rundown of what LSU's class looks like, where it ranks and other key recruiting information.

CLASS RANKINGS

LSU's class ranks No. 4 in 247 Sports' composite rankings. Rivals ranks LSU's class No. 6.

LIST OF COMMITMENTS

Name Pos Ht. Wt. School

Anthony Bradford OT 6-5 320 Muskegon (Mich.) HS

Marcel Brooks LB 6-3 200 Flower Mound (Texas) Marcus HS

Tyrion Davis RB 6-1 230 Southern Lab

John Emery Jr RB 5-11 206 Destrehan High

Joseph Evans DT 6-3 305 Haynesville HS

Cordale Flott DB 6-1 165 Saraland (Ala.) HS

Maurice Hampton CB 6-0 195 Memphis (Tenn.) University

Kendall McCallum LB 6-3 235 Oxford (Alabama) HS

TK McClendon TE 6-3 240 Copiah-Lincoln (Miss.) CC

Trey Palmer WR 6-0 205 Kentwood High

Peter Parish QB 6-1 198 Phenix City (Ala.) Central

Ray Parker OT 6-5 275 Ruston High

Thomas Perry OT 6-5 325 Teurlings Catholic

Quentin Skinner LS 6-0 235 Buford (Ga.) HS

Donte Starks ILB 6-1 225 John Ehret

Derek Stingley Jr. CB 6-1 195 The Dunham School

Kardell Thomas OG 6-5 340 Southern Lab

Charles Turner C 6-4 260 Bradenton (Fla.) IMB Acad.

Cade York K/P 6-2 175 Prosper (Texas) HS

SCHEDULE OF ANNOUNCEMENTS FOR UNDECIDED RECRUITS

-- Nakobe Dean, a five-star linebacker from Mississippi, will announce his decision on ESPNU in the 1 p.m. hour Wednesday.

NOTABLE HEADLINES

-- Story of Southern Lab guard Kardell Thomas — the most influential piece of LSU's recruiting class

Can't see video below? Click here.

-- For LSU committment Derek Stingley Jr., All-American Bowl selection is the latest honor

-- No sleep 'til signing day for Ed Orgeron and the LSU coaching staff; 17 in-home visits in 16 days

-- University High's Christian Harris in awe of selection to play in All-American Bowl

WHAT HAPPENS AFTER THE EARLY PERIOD?

With a scholarship limit of 25 per class, the Tigers will have six open slots if they sign 19 in the early period. Here are a few names LSU would love to signing on national signing day in early February.

-- Ishmael Sopsher, a five-star defensive tackle from Amite. LSU, by all accounts, in locked in a battle with Alabama.

-- Devonta Lee, a four-star wide receiver from Amite. LSU and Alabama are in pursuit.

-- Siaki Ika, a four-start defensive tackle from Salt Lake City, Utah. LSU, along with Alabama, are battling schools out West such as Utah and Southern Cal. 

-- Raydarious Jones, a four-star athlete from Horn Lake, Miss. The Tigers see Jones as a defensive back and are battling Ole Piss to sign him.

-- Christian Williams, a four-star defensive back from Daphne, Ala. Williams is committed to the Crimson Tide but isn't signing in the early period.

-- George Pickens, a four-star wide receiver from Hoover, Ala. The Auburn commitment won't sign in the early period as other schools like LSU and other SEC schools continue to recruit him.

National signing day is Feb. 6, 2019. The early period begins Wednesday and ends Friday.

The little guy from Haynesville. 

Joseph Evans' LSU signing to mark history on journey from tragedy

btnzszrwqddpscwyn7hjJerit Roser • TigerDetails.com

Franklin Evans often tries to hide his proud tears when people praise his son, Joseph.

But the men both laugh loudly when asked if he will be able to contain his emotions Wednesday when “JoJo” signs his letter of intent to play college football at home-state LSU.

“I can already tell you that one,” the elder Evans admits. “That’s a BIG no!

“I always just think about where he started from, you know — premature, three pounds as a baby, and his mother died giving birth to him. And when people talk about him or he does stuff, I have to hide my face from him because I don’t want him to see me cry. It’s a real emotional thing. I just get overjoyed.”

The 6-foot-3, 305-pound Joseph Evans has come a long way since then, as a young man and as an athlete.

And Wednesday’s milestone will etch the defensive tackle's name firmly among the elite of one of Louisiana’s most storied football communities.

Jvcqmuve1zilk4ibikcm

Franklin Evans

Tornados and Tigers

The opportunity for Joseph to play football at LSU was a no-brainer — especially for Franklin — but one neither Evans anticipated.

Haynesville is known as much now for its high school football as maybe anything else.

The “Butterfly Capital of Louisiana,” a town of about 2,000 residents, in the northwest corner of the state, has claimed more LHSAA state championships than any other public school.

The Golden Tornado boast 17 titles — second only to the 26 of powerhouse John Curtis.

But only one player has signed a football scholarship with LSU out of Haynesville High School: Kenny Jackson in 1974.

Joseph’s biggest familiarity with the Tigers came when North Webster star Devin White, from nearby Springhill, joined the program in 2016.

Until October 2017, in the days leading up to Halloween, when coach Ed Orgeron visited Haynesville and offered the Golden Tornado’s junior standout the chance to follow suit.

“I come to the office, and Coach O is sitting down and says, ‘How you doing, Joseph?’” he recounts, slipping seamlessly into a growling Orgeron impression. “I was speechless. Then he called my dad and said, ‘We’d like to offer your son.’ And his reaction was, ‘Yep! Come on. Let’s sign right now.’”

The Evanses had started trying to build connections with other college coaches.

They considered Louisiana Tech a likely destination.

But Orgeron’s surprise was Joseph’s first scholarship offer — and one to which he immediately committed.

“That was big,” Franklin says. “That was big news for us. I’ve loved LSU. And when we found out a big school like LSU was interested in him, man, we were so happy. And we were sold from the first time he offered. Joseph didn’t want to go anywhere else, and I definitely didn’t want to go anywhere else because Louisiana is our home. It’s our home state, so if we can represent our home state, that’s what it’s all about.”

Franklin’s passion for the Tigers — and New Orleans Saints — grew as a way to represent home throughout his 20 years serving in the U.S. Navy during tours that included Singapore, Hong Kong, Bali, Indonesia, Japan, Guam, Puerto Rico, Spain, South Korea and Panama.

“Being on a ship with people from all walks of life, there was a few people from Louisiana, and we’d all stick together when it came to repping our schools,” he explains. “It’s a big thing in the navy — everybody talking about their home team, home football team and stuff like that. That’s bragging rights right there, so I’ve been on LSU for a minute.”

Xjiktbjmmntap5zybole

Franklin Evans

'That boy's gonna be special'

When his wife, Debrah, passed away, Franklin received orders from the military to remain home in Louisiana for a position that would allow him to raise his children in Haynesville with the help of his mother.

“She always said, ‘That boy’s gonna be special,” remembers Franklin, now a sixth-grade science teacher and assistant police chief in nearby Cullen. “And I didn’t know what she was gonna be talking about at the time, but he wasn’t like the other kids. The other kids were sneaky — but not Joseph. The only thing Joseph was sneaky about was walking through the night sneaking into the refrigerator. The other ones, when I would be at work, they would try to sneak and find things to drink or smoke cigarettes and stuff like that.

“And they used to get mad at Joseph, because Joseph didn’t like that kind of stuff. And he knew that they were doing wrong, and he would tell me, and they would get mad at him. The good thing about Joseph, he doesn’t let anybody else influence him — especially when he knows something is wrong — and that’s why I trust him so much with anything, because I know if he tells me he didn’t do something, I know I can take him at his word because that trust is there.”

Joseph grew. And grew. And grew. With the help of more than a few late-night snacks, his father laughs, until Franklin finally put a lock on the fridge.

“If somebody had left a piece of pie in there, then my urge would tell me to go get that pie,” Joseph admits. “And then the next day, it’s sort of like, ‘Who ate my pie!?’”

“Everybody was like, ‘JOSEPH!?!’” Franklin chimes in, as they both laugh.

Joseph developed a strong faith and work ethic, as well as athletic and musical ability — winning two state shotput titles thus far, singing and playing multiple intstruments in addition to his football talent.

And the older he got, the more he reminded Franklin of Debrah.

“She was silly,” Franklin says. “She loved to smile. She loved to make people happy. And when she walked into a room, the whole demeanor of the room changed. It’s like her spirit had that glow. And Joseph has that presence, too. He walks into a room, and people just get happy like when she walked into a room and people would just get happy.

“I can’t explain it, but that’s the way it was. And Joseph is silly like her. He doesn’t even know where he got his silliness from, but she would just say stuff, funny stuff, all the time, and she always was happy.”

C2urh0jalml1jsjwssdp

Drive-thru autographs

Joseph’s positive attitude and light-hearted disposition have made him an all the more easy to embrace and support.

“It’s just a big thing up here at Haynesville — and, plus, everybody loves Joseph because of the way he is,” Franklin says. “He’s got great character. He has a great sense of humor. Everybody loves him. If he walks into any store or if anyone sees him, they come up and start talking to him because he’s very approachable and just loves everybody and everybody loves him.”

Half of the community probably has Joseph’s autograph now.

The first woman to ask recognized him through the drive-thru window at his job at a local chicken restaurant about 10 blocks from school.

“This lady while I was at work at Southern Classic, she came through the drive-thru and said, ‘Can I have your autograph please?’” he remembers. “That was the first lady that got my autograph… Then when I went to get my driver’s license, a lady from Homer, she said, ‘You’re going to LSU?!’ And I said, ‘Yes, ma’am.’ And she said, ‘Can I have your autograph?!’

“I can’t go anywhere without somebody talking about it. It’s a small town, so everybody knows everybody and their grandma, so you’re gonna hear about it if you see me.”

But the celebrity status has extends well beyond city limits.

Franklin has received an influx of friend requests on Facebook and says many fans have expressed plans to travel to Haynesville on Wednesday to partake in the signing celebration.

“I’ve got that picture of Joseph in his LSU uniform and, man, everybody’s sending my friend requests,” Franklin says. “And I joined an LSU Facebook group, and man, they’ve shown us so much love. I mean, people from the group that don’t even live close around — two or three hours away — want to come up and be a part of the signing.”

JoJo and MoJo

Joseph’s grandmother called him “The Gentle Giant” as a child.

The ever-kindhearted young athlete didn’t want to knock other players on the ground when he started peewee football.

He found his intensity and competitive nature as he got older, though, en route to becoming an all-state player and three-star prospect.

“If you’re in front of him, he tries to stare down deep into your soul and just tries to put fear in you,” Franklin says. “You wouldn’t think that about him just seeing him walk around the halls of the school. You know, he’s always laughing and joking and has people laughing just being silly. But, boy, when he gets on that field, you better watch out, because he’s coming for you.”

The switch is so stark that Joseph’s teammates have given different nicknames for his on- and off-field alter-egos.

“It’s really that dog mentality that you’ve gotta have to play football,” he says. “People on the field call me, ‘MoJo.’ They say I’m not ‘JoJo’ no more — I’m ‘MoJo.’ They know when I’m ready to play football, you can’t talk to me because I’m already in my mode and it is what it is.”

Joseph's extra push

Wednesday afternoon will be an occasion for the wide-smiling JoJo, as school and community members and guests from hours away flock to Haynesville to celebrate history.

“We come from a big family,” Frankling says. “I had 10 sisters and five brothers, and we’re a very close-knit family. And for someone in our immediate family to be as loved and respected as Joseph, it just makes the whole family feel good. I mean, my whole family’s coming out to support him.”

Notably, three of Franklin’s cousins plan to be among the extended Evans family joining the ceremony.

A large poster outside Haynesville’s Red Franklin Memorial Stadium displays Demetric, Douglas and Bobby Ray Evans in their respective professional football jerseys with the message, “Success is a trail worth following.”

Joseph admires it almost daily as inspiration.

And all three former Tornado stars intend to join him on stage for his critical moment, Franklin says.

“Wednesday’s gonna be exciting, having my cousins there with me,” Joseph says. “I’m just gonna sign my next chapter in my life, and I think it’s gonna be good.”

Their presence will be meaningful as Joseph strives to not only follow Jackson’s footsteps in signing with LSU, but theirs en route to a professional career in the sport.

Signing with the Tigers will be a dream come true for the Evanses in itself — but not the last.

“It means I have to work hard, work hard to meet expectations,” Joseph says. “I wanna be more than just the first guy from Haynesville to go back to LSU. I wanna be the first guy who goes back to the NFL.”

Franklin expects to choke up, “because all those accomplishments, I wish his mother was there to see him — see the young man that her baby grew up to be.”

But Joseph credits Debrah for being a guiding hand throughout his development into the young man he is today.

“I always feel like my mom was always with me,” Joseph says. “Everything that I did, I feel like she was my extra push in a way in my life. And I just, I’ve never met her, but I have an emotional attachment with her, because she’s that voice in my head, and I know it.”

At Teurlings, Thomas Perry found a home at the position he was meant to play

JAMES BEWERS | LAFAYETTE DAILY ADVERTISER | 10:30 am CDT September 14, 2018

icon-sms_24.svg icon-facebook_24.svg icon-twitter_24.svg icon-mail_24.svg

28911775001_5834147149001_5834144634001-vs.jpg?pubId=28911775001
Kevin Foote and James Bewers talk about the first two weeks of preps season in Acadiana.
DAVID D'AQUIN, LAFAYETTE DAILY ADVERTISER

Looking at Teurlings Catholic senior Thomas Perry now, it isn't hard to figure out why he plays offensive tackle.

In fact, the LSU commitment is the prototype.

Teurlings Catholic offensive tackle Thomas Perry (76) protects former Rebels quarterback Wesley Blazek (18) during Teurlings' playoff victory against Loyola Prep on Nov. 10, 2017.
Teurlings Catholic offensive tackle Thomas Perry (76) protects former Rebels quarterback Wesley Blazek (18) during Teurlings' playoff victory against Loyola Prep on Nov. 10, 2017.
SCOTT CLAUSE/THE ADVERTISER

At 6-foot-6, 325 pounds, there's no question he has the size to be a Division I offensive tackle. But it's his athleticism, not his measurables, that makes him an SEC-caliber player. Players his size typically can't move the way he can.

“I’d be lying if I told you an exact time (for his 40-yard dash), but it’s just over five seconds," said Rebels coach Dane Charpentier. "Some of these guys that are 300-plus pounds get up closer to six seconds. He’s right about five seconds. He can really stride it out. He’s not a typical 330-pound high school kid, for sure.”

Increasingly, however, college programs are looking for edge linemen that possess Perry's frame and agility to match the athleticism of the pass rushers they have to block. 

“For (pass blocking), I’m pretty good," Perry said. "Like even the fastest guys, I’m able to do my steps and still stay with them and get in front of them. Even though they’re trying to speed rush outside, I’m still able to use my feet and stay with him and still be able to not let them get to the quarterback.”

Thomas Perry
Thomas Perry
SCOTT CLAUSE/THE ADVERTISER

But there was a time when Perry, the son of former LSU offensive guard Adam Perry, planned on playing defensive line on the varsity level. In fact, he went to an LSU camp as a defensive end his eighth-grade year, where he was coached by now LSU head coach Ed Orgeron. 

As a youngster, he played on both sides of the line. His dad, now an orthopedic surgeon and Teurlings' team doctor, was even his offensive line coach in middle school. But when he showed up at Teurlings as an eighth-grader, the only other position he played, aside from defensive end, was tight end.

“Eighth-grade year I played tight end just because I was taller and I was pretty athletic for my size and I was able to catch," Perry said. "So they would just put me out on a route and I would just catch over someone.

"Actually, I came to Teurlings to play defensive line, but then mid-year, they wanted me to switch over because we didn’t really have anybody on the offensive line. I went to camps for offensive line, and then I just started playing there more.”

Does he miss catching passes?

"I mean, yeah," Perry joked. "I sort of wish coach would put in some plays like that. But I mean, it’s all right.”

Perry didn't need to learn another position once he found a home at offensive tackle, the position he was seemingly meant to play. His technique is so good that, at previous LSU camps, he's been asked to demonstrate how to perform a drill for the other campers. 

He's started at Teurlings since he was a sophomore and earned All-Acadiana and All-State honors last year.

"From looking at the tape, he took the biggest jump between his sophomore and junior year," Charpentier said. "He started to get a little mean streak about him. It takes those big guys a little while to realize how big they are. He’s starting to really mature. From the first time I met him as a rising junior until now, I think he’s gotten better the whole time.

"I think the scary part is that he still can get a lot better. Athletically, how gifted he is and how big he is, really, the sky’s the limit for him in football. He’s got all the tools, and I think he can still get a lot better.”

Even Notre Dame coach Lewis Cook, who will lead his team into a matchup against Perry and the Rebels on Friday at Teurlings, is impressed by Perry's development.

"He’s such a big kid. It’s important for him to catch up, so to speak, with his body — his strength and his coordination and everything — and you can see that coming for him," Cook said. "He just looks like he’s got better body control. I’m sure having played every game last year, having an offseason and a summer to continue his training, is only helping him. He such a big, strong kid. They play him in the backfield on short yardage (situations), so that means he can move. And if you watch him go, he moves pretty good.

"That’s what it’s all about with linemen. It’s all about how well can they move their feet, especially with a big body like he has. I think he’s going to be a really good college football player. Of course he wouldn’t have gotten the offer if he wasn’t already an outstanding high school player.”

Perry committed to LSU more than a year ago, and his decision was an easy one. Both his father and his mother, Heidi Hargett Perry, attended LSU. Heidi threw the discus on the Tigers' track and field team from 1991 to '94.

Naturally, Thomas has always wanted to go to college in Baton Rouge, especially because his dad once played in Tiger Stadium. 

"It’s pretty cool how he’s done all of this stuff, and now I can walk in his footsteps,” Thomas said.

Adam, who played left guard for the Tigers from 1993-1997, still coaches Thomas, even watching film with him and giving him tips on the sideline before games. From the old film he's seen, Thomas said he and his dad are different players.

“I sort of think he was more like the smaller, stockier guy," Thomas said of Adam, who is 6-foot-3. "I feel like he was stronger than me, but at the same time, I had height on him. I think I was quicker than him.”

Asked who is the better athlete, Thomas said his dad would debate his answer. 

“I mean, I would say that I’m probably better than my dad, but he would get a little upset. He would probably say something different.”

DT Siaki Ika picks LSU over USC football on Early Signing Day

206490a8399e879b37e5a031e911881a?s=44&d=mm&r=gby Alicia de Artola56s ago

Four-star defensive tackle Siaki Ika selected and signed for LSU over USC football and others to kickoff Early Signing Day 2019 on Wednesday morning.

Early Signing Day for the 2019 recruiting cycle started off with disappointment for USC football as Siaki Ika made his announcement for LSU instead of the Trojans.

The four-star defensive tackle out of Salt Lake City chose the Tigers over USC, Oregon, Utah and Florida, who all started the day in his Top 5.

Ika welcomed USC’s coaches in for an in-home visit last week, but it seems that wasn’t enough to sway him towards the cardinal and gold.

BREAKING: Siaki Ika chooses LSU

By Mike Scarborough
December 19, 2018
Tweet

If you aren’t already a premium member of TigerBait, it’s time to give us a try. Subscribe now and enjoy all of the benefits of a subscription. Click here to join

The LSU football program received some incredible news Wednesday morning as four-star defensive lineman Siaki Ika‍ of East High School in Salt Lake City committed to LSU.  

Ika chose LSU over offers from Florida, Utah, USC, Oregon and many others.  The 6-foot-3, 335-pound prospect who goes by the name “Apu” is a significant get for LSU as he is a second defensive lineman in the Tigers 2019 class.

He joins Joseph Evans of Haynesville who is expected to also sign with LSU today.

Ika is a mid-term enrollee and will be on the LSU campus in early January for the spring semester.

Derek Stingley signs with LSU

BySHEA DIXON 3 hours ago 

8890905.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320(Photo: 247Sports)

The No. 1 cornerback in America has signed with the LSU Tigers.

On Wednesday, Baton Rouge native and five-star cornerback Derek Stingley made it official and signed his scholarship papers with LSU, putting the pen to paper at a signing day ceremony at Dunham.

Stingley is the highest-ranked signee for the Tigers in the 2019 cycle, checking in as the No. 2 overall prospect on 247Sports, regardless of position. He's ranked as the No. 3 overall prospect on the 247Sports Composite.

Stingley had committed to LSU early in his recruiting process, but reopened things to take a final look around before getting back on board with the Tigers in June. He's been a firm commitment ever since, and Stingley is expected to be an instant impact addition in Baton Rouge as an early-enrollee who will join the team in January.

With starting cornerback Greedy Williams on his way to the NFL Draft, and Terrance Alexander in his final year of eligibility, the Tigers will be searching for fresh faces at cornerback next fall. Kristian Fulton will likely be one starting cornerback, but the door is open for Stingley to make a run at the other starting spot. That could allow Kary Vincent to slide inside to the nickel, and Kelvin Joseph could then see if he's most-needed at cornerback or safety.

7COMMENTS

Stingley is also expected to be in the mix as a returner on punts and kickoffs.

2019 LSU COMMITS

5-star CB Derek Stingley | Baton Rouge, La. | Composite: 0.9973, No. 3 Overall, No. 1 CB
5-star RB 
John Emery Jr. | Destrehan, La. | Composite: 0.9931, No. 12 Overall, No. 2 RB
5-star OG 
Kardell Thomas | Baton Rouge, La. | Composite: 0.9844, No. 32 Overall, No. 2 OG
4-star OLB 
Marcel Brooks | Flower Mound, Texas | Composite: 0.9787, No. 44 Overall, No. 3 OLB
4-star CB 
Maurice Hampton | Memphis, Tenn. | Composite: 0.9685, No. 63 Overall, No. 9 CB
4-star WR 
Trey Palmer | Kentwood, La. | Composite: 0.9495, No. 111 Overall, No. 19 WR
4-star ILB 
Donte Starks | Marrero, La. | Composite: 0.9492, No. 114 Overall, No. 6 ILB
4-star RB 
Tyrion Davis | Baton Rouge, La. | Composite: 0.9396, No. 142 Overall, No. 8 RB
4-star OT 
Ray Parker | Ruston, La. | Composite: 0.9352, No. 154 Overall, No. 16 OT
4-star OG 
Anthony Bradford | Muskegon, Mich. | Composite: 0.9203, No. 199 Overall, No. 13 OG
4-star QB 
Peter Parrish | Phenix City, Ala. | Composite: 0.8954, No. 339 Overall, No. 13 DUAL
3-star OT 
Thomas Perry | Lafayette, La. | Composite: 0.8850, No. 444 Overall, No. 36 OT
3-star C 
Charles Turner | Bradenton, Fla. | Composite: 0.8763, No. 558 Overall, No. 6 OC
3-star DT 
Joseph Evans | Haynesville, La. | Composite: 0.8702, No. 648 Overall, No. 45 DT
3-star CB 
Cordale Flott | Saraland, Ala. | Composite: 0.8702, No. 652 Overall, No. 60 CB
3-star TE 
T.K. McClendon | Wesson, Miss. | Composite (JUCO): 0.8656, No. 45 Overall, No. 3 TE
3-star ILB 
Kendall McCallum | Oxford, Ala. | Composite: 0.8647, No. 755 Overall, No. 32 ILB
3-star K 
Cade York | Prosper, Texas | Composite: 0.8197, No. 1950 Overall, No. 6 K
2-star LS 
Quentin Skinner | Buford, Ga. | Composite: 0.7876, No. 2910 Overall, No. 4 LS

Siaki Ika kicks off signing day with LSU commitment

ByBILLY EMBODY 5 hours ago 

LSU started off the early signing period for the 2019 recruiting class with a bang, landing the No. 1 player in Utah Siaki Ikaover the likes of Florida, Oregon and Utah. The 6-3, 351-pound defensive tackle announced for the Tigers on Wednesday morning at his high school.

247Sports recruiting analyst Blair Angulo, who made the first 247Sports Crystal Ball pick for LSU, said that the natural comparison is to Buffalo Bills defensive tackle Star Lotulelei.

"Massive frame. Built like a tank at 350 pound. Immovable on the interior. Agile and quick off the snap. Demands double teams. Impressive motor and hand technique," Angulo wrote. "Balanced skill set as pass rusher with sound technique. Impactful in run defense, can shed blocks and plug gaps. Needs to trim down to build conditioning. Can improve counter moves. High upside and potential to be a consensus All-American and future NFL Draft Day 2 selection."

Coming off his final official visit this past weekend to Florida, it was a neck-and-neck race between the two programs with LSU ultimately winning out over the GayTurds.

The four-star prospect visited LSU officially for the Tigers’ big 36-16 win over then No. 2-ranked Georgia. The LSU staff followed that up with multiple in-home visits out west at his home in Salt Lake City, Utah.

Ika ranks on the industry-generated 247Sports Composite as the No. 159 overall prospect in the country, No. 11 overall defensive tackle and No. 1 player in the state of Utah. On 247Sports, Ika comes in as the No. 191 overall prospect in the country, No. 11 overall defensive tackle and No. 2 player in Utah.

Up next for Ika is heading to San Antonio for the 2019 All-American Bowl, which will be broadcast live on NBC on Jan. 5, 2019.

"It means everything and I know I could say the same for a lot of other high school football players," Ika told 247Sports. "This is the highest level of high school football and it's my passion, so this has always been a goal of mine. I'm just glad and thankful that it all came true.

"I was just talking to my dad this week and telling him about this whole deal. He was telling me that he's just so proud and never thought all of this would come for one of his kids. That's the biggest thing for me -- all of this hard work is for my parents and to make them proud."

As a senior, Ika posted 89 tackles – 55 solos and 34 assists – and 14 sacks in only seven games. That was on pace to top the monster year he had as a junior with 128 tackles and 15 sacks in 13 contests.

Stick with Geaux247 for the latest on LSU's early signing period. Want the latest scoop? Sign up for our Buy 1, Get 1 free deal NOW.

Raydarious Jones commits to LSU over Ole Piss, Auburn; 4-star athlete

lsuauburnfootball.091618_HS_4349
LSU head coach Ed Orgeron sings the alma mater on the field with his wife, Kelly, and players following LSU's 22-21 win over Auburn, Saturday, September 15, 2018, at Auburn's Jordan-Hare Stadium in Auburn, Ala. Advocate staff photo by HILARY SCHEINUK

Dec 19, 2018 - 1:27 pm
  •  
  •  
  •  

The LSU football program picked up a massive commitment Wednesday afternoon when 4-star athlete Raydarious Jones surprisingly signed with the Tigers, shocking most recruiting experts.

Jones, a dual threat quarterback who projects as a skilled position player at the collegiate level, picked LSU over Ole Piss, Auburn, Mississippi State and other schools.

247Sports ranks Jone, 6-foot-2 and 170 pounds, as the ninth-best athlete in the country. His commitment moved LSU's 2019 recruiting class up from No. 4 to No. 3.

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/sports/lsu/article_4b7f0de0-03bd-11e9-b235-23fe2ec1848c.amp.html?__twitter_impression=true

2019 SIGNEES

DEC 19 | 7:50 AM

EVANS-JOSEPH-HEADSHOT.jpg

Joseph Evans

Haynesville, La.
Haynesville HS
@Jevans7318

DEC 19 | 7:54 AM

PERRY-THOMAS-HEADSHOT.jpg

Thomas Perry

Lafayette, La.
Teurlings Catholic HS
@tperry76_

DEC 19 | 7:59 AM

SKINNER-QUENTIN-HEADSHOT.jpg

Quentin Skinner

Buford, Ga.
Buford HS
@QuentinFSkinner

DEC 19 | 8:20 AM

MCLENDON-TK-HEADSHOT.jpg

TK McLendon

Soperton, Ga.
Copiah-Lincoln CC
@_Tk_88

DEC 19 | 8:28 AM

BRADFORD-ANTHONY-HEADSHOT.jpg

Anthony Bradford

Muskegon, Mich.
Muskegon HS
@A_Bradford75

DEC 19 | 8:35 AM

MCCALLUM-KENDALL-HEADSHOT.jpg

Kendall McCallum

Oxford, Ala.
Oxford HS
@iRoc23_

DEC 19 | 8:44 AM

TURNER-CHARLES-HEADSHOT.jpg

Charles Turner

Canton, Ohio
IMG Academy
@turner_cha75

DEC 19 | 8:52 AM

YORK-CADE-HEADSHOT.jpg

Cade York

Prosper, Texas
Prosper HS
@YorkCade

DEC 19 | 9:40 AM

STARKS-DONTE-HEADSHOT.jpg

Donte Starks

Marrero, La.
John Ehret HS
@donte_starks8

DEC 19 | 9:45 AM

PALMER-TREY-HEADSHOT.jpg

Trey Palmer

Kentwood, La.
Kentwood HS
@Treythekiid7

DEC 19 | 10:06 AM

IKA-APU-HEADSHOT.jpg

Siaki Ika

Salt Lake City, Utah
East HS
@Jackfish801

DEC 19 | 10:10 AM

STINGLEY-DEREK-HEADSHOT.jpg

Derek Stingley Jr.

Baton Rouge, La.
Dunham HS
@JrStingley

DEC 19 | 11:56 AM

BROOKS-MARCEL-HEADSHOT.jpg

Marcel Brooks

Flower Mound, Texas
Marcus HS
@MarcelBrooks_5

DEC 19 | 1:20 PM

PARRISH-PETER-HEADSHOT.jpg

Peter Parrish

Phenix City, Ala.
Central HS
@peter_jelani

DEC 19 | 1:45 PM

EMERY-JOHN-HEADSHOT.jpg

John Emery Jr.

Destrehan, La.
Destrehan HS
@emery4____

SIGNING CLASS BY POSITION

• OFFENSE
  • Quarterback

• Offense Line

• Running Back

• Wide Receiver

• Tight End

• Kicker

• DEFENSE
  • Defensive Line 

• Linebacker

• Defensive Back

• Long Snapper

Raydarious Jones commits to LSU

BySHEA DIXON 3 hours ago 

8557718.JPG?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320(Photo: Keith Niebuhr , 247Sports)

The battle for four-star athlete Raydarious Jones came all the way down to his announcement on ESPN, but when the dust settled, there was just one team left standing.

On Wednesday, Jones made his verbal commitment for LSU, picking the Tigers over Ole Piss, Auburn, Mississippi State and others.

Jones is one of the most athletic prospects in the 2019 class, and he checks in on 247Sports as a Top 200 prospect and a Top 10 athlete in the class. Jones will head to Baton Rouge as a cornerback after working out for defensive backs coach Corey Raymond during camp this summer. Jones had played high school quarterback, leading Horn Lake to a state title win this season.

Jones gives LSU another huge cornerback addition in a talented defensive backs class that is headlined by five-star and No. 1 cornerback Derek Stingley.

The 247Sports Crystal Ball had swung in favor of Ole Piss on Wednesday morning, but the Tigers buckled in and landed his commitment by the time he took the stage to announce on Wednesday afternoon.

Stay tuned to Geaux247 for more on LSU's 2019 class as the Early Signing Period rolls on.

2019 LSU COMMITS

36COMMENTS

5-star CB Derek Stingley | Baton Rouge, La. | Composite: 0.9973, No. 3 Overall, No. 1 CB
5-star RB 
5-star OG 
4-star OLB 
Marcel Brooks | Flower Mound, Texas | Composite: 0.9787, No. 44 Overall, No. 3 OLB
4-star CB 
4-star WR 
4-star ILB 
4-star RB 
4-star OT 

4-star DT Siaki Ika | Salt Lake City, Utah | Composite: 0.9315, No. 159 overall, No. 11 DT
4-star OG 
Anthony Bradford | Muskegon, Mich. | Composite: 0.9203, No. 199 Overall, No. 13 OG
4-star QB 
Peter Parrish | Phenix City, Ala. | Composite: 0.8954, No. 339 Overall, No. 13 DUAL
3-star OT 
3-star C 
3-star DT 
3-star CB 
3-star TE 
T.K. McClendon | Wesson, Miss. | Composite (JUCO): 0.8656, No. 45 Overall, No. 3 TE
3-star ILB 
Kendall McCallum | Oxford, Ala. | Composite: 0.8647, No. 755 Overall, No. 32 ILB
3-star K 
2-star LS 

Quarterback Peter Parrish signs with the Tigers

LSU has its quarterback on board for the 2019 recruiting class with Phenix City (Ala.) Central quarterback Peter Parrish being announced as a signee for the Tigers on

8868420.jpg

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
ALL-NEW SPORTS NETWORK
Straight news and highlights without the noise

WATCH NOW FOR FREE
Streaming On All Devices

LSU has its quarterback on board for the 2019 recruiting class with Phenix City (Ala.) Central quarterback Peter Parrish being announced as a signee for the Tigers on Wednesday during the early signing period.

The 6-1, 198-pound quarterback ended his high school career with a state championship in Alabama before heading off to the Alabama-Mississippi All-Star Game this past week, where he let everyone know he was locked in to LSU after overtures from Georgia, Florida State and Tennessee.

“I feel like it is a heavy burden lifted off my shoulders," Parrish told 247Sports. "Now I can really focus on LSU and not really focus on any other colleges that have been looking at me. I am ready to start preparing for LSU. The process has been great, but it’s been a long process. I am ready to settle down and focus on just one college.”

The four-star prospect ranks on the industry-generated 247Sports Composite as the No. 338 overall prospect in the country, No. 13 dual-threat quarterback and No. 13 overall prospect in Alabama. On 247Sports, Parrish ranks as the No. 17 dual-threat quarterback in the country and the No. 20 overall prospect in Alabama.

On hand to watch Parrish take home the a state championship earlier this month, and the game’s MVP award, was the LSU staff, and they have since gone in-home with him for a visit.

PAID CONTENT BY BUICKGet great offers on Buick VehiclesIt’s a great time get a deal on one of Buick’s available all-wheel drive vehicles

“They congratulated me,” Parrish said. “They were at the game, and right after the game I talked to them. (Ed Orgeron) made a home visit two days ago. We talked for like two or three hours while he was there. We kind of talked about everything. We set up the official and everything like that. I think we are going to do it some time in January. But I am signing with LSU next week.”

Arizona State, Cincinnati, Florida and others offered Parrish with LSU extending an offer a camp performance this summer and Parrish accepting that offer shortly after. 

In April, Parrish was timed with a 4.61 40-yard dash, 4.32 shuttle and 35-inch vertical, impressive testing numbers for a quarterback. Up next, Parrish will head to Hawaii for the Polynesian Bowl in January.

“I am pumped up about that,” Parrish said. “It’s Hawaii. And it’s another chance to showcase my game.”

The LSU recruiting class currently sits at the No. 4 recruiting class in the country, according to the 247Sports Composite Team Recruiting Rankings. On the 247Sports team Recruiting Rankings, LSU sits at No. 3 nationally. LSU picked up commitments from four-star defensive tackle Siaki Ika and four-star athlete Raydarious Jones on Wednesday, landing both Top247 prospects on Wednesday announcements.

Stick with Geaux247 for all your early signing period coverage and how things will shake out. Want the latest LSU recruiting scoop? Sign up for our Buy 1, Get 1 free deal here!

hq-daily.png

Where does LSU’s class rank nationally after 1st day of early signing period?

Updated 6:22 PMPosted 6:21 PM

14shares

LSU inked 19 players in its 2019 class on Wednesday, raising the profile of the class on a national scale.

Going into the early signing period, 247Sports ranked LSU’s haul as the No. 4 class, Rivals put LSU’s class at No. 6 team and ESPN said LSU had the No. 7 class.

LSU rose in some of the rankings after 4-star defensive lineman Siaki “Apu” Ika and 4-star cornerback Raydarious Jones signed with the Tigers, as neither of whom had been previously committed to LSU before Wednesday.

LSU’s class moved up two spots in Rivals' rankings to No. 4, leapfrogging both Clemson and Oregon. The class also moved up in ESPN’s rankings from No. 7 to No. 6, jumping over Clemson.

The class still ranks in at No. 4 by 247Sports.

The schools with higher ranked recruiting classes in the 247Sports and Rivals rankings are Alabama, Georgia and Texas A&M. ESPN has those three schools, as well as Michigan and Oregon, ahead of the Tigers.

LSU recruiting coordinator/running backs coach Tommie Robinson is originally from Phenix City, Ala., so he has some strong ties to the Yellowhammer State.

Robinson used those connections to help reel in a Tiger who is now signed, sealed and delivered during the Early Signing Period in linebacker Kendall McCallum.

McCallum, a 6-foot-3, 230-pound thumper in the middle is the No. 32 inside linebacker in the country in the industry-generated 247Sports Composite. The Oxford native committed to the Tigers on June 25 after he landed offers from Louisville, Missouri, Ole Piss, and others.

LSU visited McCallum last week to make sure he knew how important he was to the Tigers’ future.

"It was fun. Coach O was fun. Cool coach, down to earth type of person," McCallum told 247Sports. "Coach Robinson was there, too. He's a good coach. It was fun. They kept us entertained. It's already like family with the coaches."

There was never any drama with McCallum.

The same cannot be said for Cordale Flott as the three-star cornerback from Saraland, Ala. visited Florida the weekend before the Early Signing Period and contemplated waiting to February to sign. After going back and forth, Flott opted to wait until February.

The country’s No. 51 cornerback and one-time auburn commit committed to the Tigers over offers from Ole Piss, Florida, Alabama, Kentucky, Nebraska and others. 

Cordale Flotts shuts things down for good

Cordale Flott changed up his plans and signed with LSU on Wednesday.

8429538.png

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
ALL-NEW SPORTS NETWORK
Straight news and highlights without the noise

WATCH NOW FOR FREE
Streaming On All Devices

8429538.png?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320(Photo: Courtesy of Cordale Flott)

The LSU staff has buckled in and gotten one of their commitments to change his plans during the Early Signing Period.

On Wednesday, Alabama's Cordale Flott signed his scholarship papers with the Tigers and faxed them into LSU, and the program announced his signature soon thereafter.

Flott had said he was "50-50" between LSU and Florida after making an official visit to Gainesville this past weekend. Because of that, the Saraland High standout said he planned to wait until February to sign scholarship papers with a college.

That changed on Wednesday morning when the Tigers turned up the heat with their press to get Flott on board now. He will join five-star Derek Stingley as the two cornerback signees from the morning in Baton Rouge.

LSU landed four-star Mississippi four-star cornerback Raydarious Jones on Wednesday, adding to a cornerback class that includes five-star Derek Stingley, Flott and four-star Maurice Hampton. Hampton did not sign with LSU on Wednesday. The Tigers will still recruit other cornerbacks in January, including four-star Jay Ward and four-star Christian Williams, who is committed to Alabama.

Stay tuned to Geaux247 for more on this breaking news.

2019 LSU COMMITS

5-star RB 
5-star OG 
4-star OLB 
4-star CB 
4-star WR 
4-star ILB 
4-star RB 
4-star OT 
4-star OG 
4-star QB 
3-star OT 
3-star C 
3-star DT 
3-star CB 
3-star TE 
3-star ILB 
3-star K 
2-star LS 

Archived