Gameday Tigers

College Football Playoff selection committee

houtiger

Two dud games.  The selection committee makes its decision for the wrong reasons IMO, and in the opinion of many.

Because this is what happens when a committee full of coaches and athletic directors embrace age-old values instead of actually, you know, watching games:

• Notre Dame didn't score a touchdown and couldn't even hit 250 total yards in a 30-3 loss.
  • Oklahoma and its point-a-minute offense went down 28-0 early in the second quarter, and Alabama played keep-away the remainder of the game in a 45-34 victory.

The result is an unmitigated disaster of a day.

The worst part of it all is it didn't have to be this way. We didn't have to be force-fed Spam when there was filet mignon waiting to be devoured.Michael Ainsworth/Associated Press

Take any Joe Sixpack in early December and tell him his life depends on choosing the four best teams in college football. Not deserving, not conference champions, not even the unbeaten.

The four best teams.

Those four, in order, would've been Alabama, Clemson, Georgia, Ohio State.

But who wants to watch Clemson and Georgia play? They're only bitter rivals, and Georgia only had mighty Alabama on the brink of defeat twice—twice!—in the last 11 months and couldn't finish the deal.

And really, who in their right mind wants to watch Alabama play Ohio State and the hottest quarterback in the game in Dwayne Haskins? The same Ohio State that, four years ago in the CFP semifinals, beat favored Alabama on the way to winning it all.

Instead we get a committee of 13, a group with the undeniable mandate to protect Power Five teams—plus Notre Dame—at all costs (see: fox, meet henhouse), delivering two dud matchups.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2813062-alabama-and-clemson-domination-creates-ugly-day-for-cfb-playoff-committee?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

sorry, but i disagree with his arguments. 

the games have to mean something. 

Georgia lost 2 games. that matters. I don’t care how good you think they are. I don’t care how much of a better game it may have been. They lost. TWICE.  that has to mean something.

From labor day weekend until first saturday of december, college football puts on the absolute best regular season of any sport in America.  I’m not throwing that away just so i can get 2 good games on one Saturday in late december.  

Kirk Herbstreit: We'll get to 8-team College Football Playoff

• by Jordan James
  • Dec 28, 3:23 PM
8786466.jpg

The 2018 season's College Football Playoff semifinal games will take place on Saturday, as the No. 1 Alabama Crimson Tide take on No. 4 Oklahoma Sooners in the Capital One Orange Bowl and the No. 2 Clemson Tigers play the No. 3 Notre Dame Fighting Irish in the Goodyear Cotton Bowl Classic.

But how much longer will the College Football Playoff only include four teams? Ahead of the fifth installment of the playoff earlier this month, Nicole Auerbach of The Athletic reported that there is a groundswell of support among some "influential voices in college football" for expanding to an eight-team Playoff. So much so, that they don't even want to wait until the end of the 12-year television contract with ESPN in 2026.

ESPN college football analyst Kirk Herbstreit, who will be in the booth for the national championship game on Jan. 7 and Orange Bowl matchup between Alabama and Oklahoma, thinks an eight-team field will also happen in the near future.

“Logistically, how we get there, I’m not sure,” Herbstreit told Sports Illustrated. “But I think it will at some point get there. I think that college football is still a sport where fans really feel urgency every week. I’m a sports fan of all sports—college basketball, MLB, NFL—and as a fan, the only sport I feel every week I feel urgency is college football.

“Right now in the NFL—and I’m a Titans fan now living in Nashville—you start to kind of get a little bit of it when you get into the latter part of the year in the NFL. But in college football, you have that all year. So I think the playoff has definitely increased the intensity and I think the sport has enjoyed an immense amount of success as far as its popularity with the TV ratings and the excitement around the sport in general.”

Although an expanded playoff would likely bring in more revenue, 247Sports National Writer Chris Hummer has argued against an expansion to eight teams, calling it an unnecessary cash grab.

"I don’t think anyone is doubting the first four years of playoff results," Hummer wrote. "The best teams got in. More so, the best team won.

"I can see a six-team playoff that gives the top two seeds a bye. Any further than that, you dilute the talent pool of the playoff and lessen the importance of the regular season. Yes, you’d still need to impress for participation in an eight-team format. That wouldn’t shift. What would change is the reward for an unbeaten Alabama or Clemson. Good job on the unbeaten regular season! Now go out there and play an extra taxing game versus a tough opponent.

"Pushing the playoff format to eight goes against the CFB Playoff’s stated goals:

"“The four-team playoff preserves the importance, excitement and compelling nature of the regular season, which is the best in sports,” the CFB Playoff’s official site reads. “It also maintains the tradition of bowl games, which are unique to the American sports culture.”

"It’d be contrarian to pretend the viewing public wouldn’t embrace an expanded playoff. It opens the pool of debate, interest and most importantly gives every fan base increased hope. It’d mean more money for everyone involved.

"That's also not the point."

Unfortunately, until we have a nationwide, NFL-style conference arrangement with college teams, there is going to be unfairness in the postseason. Right now there are too many human factors and differences in college programs.

Everyone knew this was going to happen to Notre Dame and that Georgia is obviously the better team, but it’s pretty hard to say an undefeated program should be snubbed in favor of a team that’s already had two chances to beat Alabama this year.

(And that’s where UCF has a point, too: I’d say they’re not much different than the Irish in terms of schedule and ability this year, but the Irish have the history and the revenue potential.)

The old BCS system was actually pretty good, and they should have just expanded THAT to 4 teams.  The computer rankings worked pretty good and removed much of the human bias.  The computer rankings took strength of schedule into account, so a one two loss Ga. team may have gone into the playoff over an undefeated ND team this year, and that would have done a better job of meeting the college playoff objective of playing off the 4 best teams, not the 4 best records.

1 hour ago, houtiger said:

The old BCS system was actually pretty good, and they should have just expanded THAT to 4 teams.  The computer rankings worked pretty good and removed much of the human bias.  The computer rankings took strength of schedule into account, so a one two loss Ga. team may have gone into the playoff over an undefeated ND team this year, and that would have done a better job of meeting the college playoff objective of playing off the 4 best teams, not the 4 best records.

This is true, except for the 1 loss uga part. 

They lost two 

6 hours ago, wsgeaux said:

Unfortunately, until we have a nationwide, NFL-style conference arrangement with college teams, there is going to be unfairness in the postseason. 

THANKFULLY, that will never happen. 

if you want to watch sh!t like that, they play on sundays. 

NFL fans need to keep they noses out of college football

everyone is so obsessed with “fixing” the postseason for some reason. 

but in doing so, they’re overlooking what makes College Football great. The regular season. 

for 3 months, this sport demands perfection. a 29 point loss to 6-6 Purdue is brutal to your chances. and it should be. you get penalized harsher in this sport for mediocrity than in any other. 

2 of the Saints 3 losses are to teams with losing records. including one at home to a team with double digit losses.  and NOBODY cares.  it counts exactly the same as if they somehow lost to the ‘85 Bears at Soldier Field in the snow.

FUNK DAT!

you can’t lay an egg against a dogshit opponent and still call yourself “the best”

the season starts Labor Day weekend. and you better bring it each and every saturday from then until the first Saturday of December.  period.

if not, it’s your own damn fault you didn’t get in.

not the biased media

not the flawed committee

not the “system”

its your fault.  and yours alone.

and don’t give me the UCF argument either. OU has played as many ranked opponents THIS MONTH as UCF has in the last 2 years combined.

Notre Dame's Brian Kelly: No 'overwhelming' talent disparity with Clemson

play

•  
  • trotter_jake.png&w=160&h=160&scale=crop

ARLINGTON, Texas -- After falling to Clemson30-3 in the College Football Playoff semifinal at the Goodyear Cotton Bowl Classic, Notre Dame coach Brian Kelly stressed that "four big plays" were the difference and that the Irish's issues Saturday were "technical and tactical," not talent-based.

"I do not feel like there was an overwhelming difference in terms of talent," Kelly said. "If we coached better and we made plays that we have been making all year, we would have had a pretty good darn football game going into the fourth quarter."

EDITOR'S PICKS

• r482889_1296x1296_1-1.jpg&w=130&h=130&scale=crop&location=center

Result won't hurt ND's future CFP hopes, AD says

Neither Notre Dame AD Jack Swarbrick nor ACC commissioner John Swofford believe that Notre Dame's result Saturday will affect its future hopes for the College Football Playoff.

•  

In the first half of Saturday's Cotton Bowl, the best catch made by a man in Notre Dame colors belonged to a fan in Section 330 at AT&T Stadium.

• Notre Dame All-American CB Julian Love, who had an interception and 15 pass breakups this season, missed most of the first half vs. Clemson after suffering a "head injury."

Kelly pointed to Clemson's four big touchdown plays and the loss of All-American cornerback Julian Love during the second quarter as the reasons for Clemson's victory.

With Love out, Clemson quarterback Trevor Lawrence connected on touchdown throws of 52, 42 and 19 yards in the second quarter. Running back Travis Etienne added a 62-yard touchdown run in the third quarter to put the Irish away.

"I think Clemson was extremely smart and opportunistic in taking advantage of some things schematically," Kelly said. "They did a great job of pushing the ball vertically in some opportunistic situations."

Even though Notre Dame struggled offensively as well, gaining only 248 yards, Kelly said he feels differently about his program than he did in 2012, when Alabama routed Notre Dame 42-14 in the BCS National Championship Game.

"Do I feel like it's different than that game? Oh, I do. Absolutely," Kelly said. "I left that game feeling there was so much work to be done from the inside out, so much development, so much recruiting.

"They were the better team today -- there's no doubt about it. [But] this is a totally different feeling. I feel like this football team is on the brink [of a championship], where when I left that game, it was, 'Boy, do we have a lot of work to do.' ... We can come back here and win. So it's a different, real different feeling for me."

Quarterback Ian Book agreed that this is only the start of a successful era for Notre Dame.

"Not to take any credit away from Clemson -- that's a great team and a great defense -- [but] if we play the way we have been all year, it would be different," he said. "We expect to be back here next year."

Archived