Gameday Tigers

Flora-Gumps!

LSUDad

Talking with my family, the ones that live on Avery Island. They went ahead and flooded the Salt Mine. 

Cargill Begins Flooding Its 3d Largest Salt Mine; MSHA Regulators Silent About 2020 Roof Collapse That Killed 2 Miners

averymine.webp?crop

AVERY ISLAND, LA, June 9, 2022 — As court petitioners and geologic experts warn that Cargill’s salt mining under Cayuga Lake risks a catastrophic mine collapse and flood, the company began closing one of its two other giant U.S. salt mines 18 months after a roof collapse there killed two miners.

averymine.webp?w=900Cargill began flooding its Avery Island salt mine Monday, leaving it with two U.S. rock salt mines — one under Lake Erie, the other under Cayuga Lake.Ronald Olivier photo

Cargill on Monday began intentionally flooding its Avery Island, La., facility as part of a months-long process of permanently shutting down the oldest salt mine in North America.

firstrocksaltmine.jpg?w=500

Neither the company nor federal mining regulators have provided a detailed accounting of the fatal December 2020 accident, which triggered wrongful death lawsuits against the company by the widows of the dead men.