Gameday Tigers

LSU VS Barn, October 1st, 6pm, ESPN

LSUDad

On 9/28/2022 at 5:47 PM, cadillacattack said:

Hatch, …. believe it or not, our current OL is actually much worse than the 2012 crew. At least the 2012 crew was young and came together the following 2 seasons …… no hope of that occurring in this instance 

I read the Auburn starting center is out for the game.  That is the most important position on the o-line, he calls the blocking assignments at the line.  That is not going to help Auburn.

• Like 1

Koy Moore, an Auburn wide receiver who transferred from LSU, shared his thoughts on the LSU wide receivers in Baton Rouge and how that factored into his decision to transfer.

Speaking with “The War Rapport,” Moore explained his decision, but it wasn’t about too many players at the same position.

“It wasn’t about that, in my opinion, I ain’t trying to cocky or nothing, I was the best receiver in that room,” he said.

Asked to clarify that position in light of Kayshon Boutte being in the mix, Moore doubled down.

“Oh no, I know, and I’m better than him, for sure, for sure,” he said.

In 2 years at LSU, Moore, the talented Louisiana native who was a 4-star recruit in the 2020 class, appeared in 11 games and made 27 catches for 248 yards.

Moore and Auburn are set to take LSU at 7 p.m. ET on Saturday on The Plains.

It’s game day for the Tigers as they hit the road to face Auburn in an SEC showdown. LSU looks to extend their win streak to four games after crucial victories over Southern, Mississippi State and New Mexico. 

The Bayou Bengals have officially reached the peak in their schedule with it consisting of mainly top conference foes over the next few months. Saturday night, LSU will be without starting running back Armoni Goodwin as he continues nursing a “substantial” hamstring injury. 

We’re just hours away from kickoff with LSU and Auburn getting things going for 6:00 p.m. Here are a few pregame notes and stories to read to get you prepped for this evening:

Pregame Notes (Provided by LSU)

Brian Kelly will bring a team to an SEC venue for only the third time on Saturday when LSU plays at Jordan-Hare Stadium. In 2006, Kelly’s Central Michigan team played at Kentucky (lost 45-36) and in 2019 his Notre Dame squad dropped a 23-17 decision at Georgia.

LSU has won 9 straight games, including 3 in 2022, when reaching the 30-point mark.

In 4 games as LSU’s starting QB, Jayden Daniels has accounted for 8 TDs (6 pass, 2 rush) and he’s completed 73 percent of his passes (81-of-111) for 835 yards, 6 TDs and no interceptions. He also leads the team in rushing with 262 yards and 2 TDs on 44 carries.

Last week, LSU started 4 true freshmen, including 3 on offense. LB Harold Perkins became the fourth true freshmen to start for the Tigers this year, joining LT Will Campbell (4 starts), RT Emery Jones Jr. (2), and TE Mason Taylor (3).

LB Harold Perkins leads LSU in tackles (22) followed by S Jay Ward (19).

Transfer S Joe Foucha will make his LSU debut on Saturday against Auburn. A transfer from Arkansas, Foucha started 33 games in the secondary for the Razorbacks and joins the Tigers with 231 career tackles, 11.5 tackles for loss, 17 pass breakups and 5 interceptions.

BATON ROUGE – For the second time this year, LSU’s BJ Ojulari has been tabbed as the SEC Defensive Lineman of the Week for his performance in the Tigers' 21-17 win over Auburn on Saturday.

Ojulari led LSU with four tackles, including a pair of sacks, as the Tigers held Auburn scoreless for the final 39 minutes of the contest. Ojulari’s sacks accounted for eight yards in losses with one resulting in an LSU touchdown.

ADVERTISING

Down 17-0 in the second quarter, Ojulari sacked and stripped Auburn quarterback Robby Ashford of the ball, which was picked up by Jay Ward, who returned it 23 yards for a touchdown. 

Ojulari’s sack of Ashford ignited a rally that saw the Tigers outscore Auburn, 21-0, over the final 39 minutes of the contest. In the second half, LSU’s defense held Auburn to 145 total yards, caused two turnovers, a pair of punts and forced a turnover on downs.

The 17-point comeback was the biggest on the road in a SEC contest for LSU since 1979 when the Tigers erased a 17-0 deficit in a 28-24 win over Ole Miss.

Earlier this year, Ojulari earned SEC Defensive Lineman of the Week for his play in the win over Mississippi State. Ojulari now has now been honored as the SEC Defensive Lineman of the Week four times during his career.

• Like 1

I thought it was an ugly game.  I think Daniels problem is his vision, he doesn't seem to get when a receiver is open, unless it is plainly obvious to everyone that he's open.  Yes, he can run, and given that our running backs are not setting the world on fire, Daniels has the luxury of threatening to pass and if the defense has broken down, he can take off.  The o-line popped a RB out on occasion, but not consistently enough to call it a good running attack.  The defense played well, except for a couple of breakdowns in the secondary that hurt.  But, they do fight, and they seem like good guys that get along.  I wonder if Noose should be the starter at QB.  I think the opposing defense would have to respect his arm more, and that might open up the running game a bit.  At least my crush is getting to play a little, after a year and a half in purgatory.

Edited by houtiger

Listening to BK, one thing I have to be impressed by is the coaching staff adjustments during the game.  Kelly talked about LSU seeing Auburn have success in the passing game and they changed their coverage scheme at halftime.  They don't even wait until the half, they make adjustments on the sideline.  It seems the adjustments work, so the coaches obviously know what they are doing.  It's not just Kelly, I think House is doing very well at DC.  Denbrock, hmmm, it's hard to tell because I think Daniels is limited as a passer.  People on TV talk about Daniels "growth" this season, and he probably has improved, but while his running ability is at the top of SEC signal callers, his passing is in the bottom half.  With his receiver corp he should be doing better.  I saw Daniels on the sideline talking to Boutte again this game, not sure what that was.  Was Boutte pouting about not seeing the ball more?  It looks like there is a problem there.

I like Matt House.

I bet House is glad Harold Perkins decided to come to LSU.  I remember the first day of fall camp, one reporter said half way into the first practice you had to get your program and find out who #40 was.  They said he had a size and speed that stood out over everyone else.  When you realized he was a true frosh, they said he looked ready to step on the field in the SEC, which most freshmen do not (except for Will Campbell and Emery Jones).

Edited by houtiger

On 10/3/2022 at 4:24 PM, houtiger said:

I think Daniels problem is his vision, he doesn't seem to get when a receiver is open, unless it is plainly obvious to everyone that he's open.  

i really wish there was a way to watch the game on replay from the skycam.

I'd love to have a view from behind the line looking out at what he sees.  Because on the typical TV coverage angle, you rarely see anything downfield.
so it's really tough to say if he's making bad reads, missing reads, etc.

• Like 1

I heard this on SEC Network, about why Daniels is not getting the ball to our excellent receivers.  They said that defenses don't think Daniels can beat them deep.  He might luck up and hit one long pass a game, but he won't make a living doing it.  So, the DB's focus on the short and intermediate routes, a deep receiver will not get a double coverage, and that makes the shorter passes harder to complete.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Hatchertiger said:

JD doesn't appear to have a cannon for an arm.

I think JD can get the ball down the field pretty far when he is not on the run, but his accuracy on the long balls is usually poor.  Sometimes his accuracy on the intermediate throws is poor.

• Like 2