Gameday Tigers

2019 Spring Football Game

LSUDad

Folks that missed the Spring Game:

Starting slot receiver Derrick Dillon has been out this spring due to surgery, Orgeron, said, and potential starting left guard Chasen Hines has been out as well recovering from ACL surgery.

On defense, starting outside linebacker K'Lavon Chaisson is still recovering from his ACL surgery, starting inside linebacker Jacob Phillips is being withheld from contact until preseason camp, starting cornerback Kristian Fulton returned to practice March 28 from his season-ending foot surgery, starting defensive end Rashard Lawrence has been out after undergoing offseason knee surgery, and potential starting outside linebacker Ray Thornton sat out after suffering a noncontact ankle sprain midway through spring practice.

Defensive linemen Neil Farrell and Nelson Jenkins also did not dress. They've missed a few spring practices due to injuries, Orgeron said. Offensive lineman Donavaughn Campbell did not dress out, nor did tight end Thaddeus Moss, who has practiced intermittently as he's recovered from the foot injury that kept him out all 2018.

I want to mention a LB that didn't get much press last year because Devin White was so outstanding.  Mike Divinity.  People talk about how good Jacob Phillips is, and he is good, but to me, Divinity was second only to White last year.  It took Mike his freshman year to figure out his assignments and learn where he was supposed to be, but physically, to me the guy is fantastic.  Clearly last year he had mastered his craft, he knew the plays and did an excellent job playing his position.  Chaisson returns and we hope he will be as good physically and comfortable with the defensive calls.  But, I think Divinity could be our best LB in 2019.

Divinity will leave after this season, and Chaisson and Phillips might also.  If we are going to make a run at winning the west, it has to be this year IMO.

• 4 weeks later...

today on dandy don:

— Tyler Shelvin’s weight is always a big topic in the offseason, and this year, it’s great news as he’s dropped 60 pounds, according to Tommy Moffit, who was also in attendance.

Wow, that's a LOT!  I thought we recruited him at 365, and he showed up on campus at 385.  He took a redshirt his freshman year and didn't reduce his weight much, seemed he lacked the motivation since he was not going to play.  He started working on it going into spring last year and got to summer at 355.  He earned more playing time through the year and played quite a bit when Ed Alexander got hurt.  But if he is down 60 lbs., I'm guessing that is from his high of 385, that would put him at a svelte 325!!!  I remember Moffit talking about him last fall, and he said that while he was dropping weight, he was adding muscle at the same time.  Very impressive!  I hope he is agile and hostile.

His young running mate, Apu Ika, came in around 350 and I know they will work to get him down a bit, I think O said he wanted him around 325 also.

Hopefully we will have quality and depth at the nose tackle this season.

Archived