Gameday Tigers

LSU Has Hired Football Coach Joe Brady

LSUDad

LSU hires Joe Brady to offensive staff

• by Shea Dixon
  • 51 minutes ago
  8994926.png?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320

LSU head coach Ed Orgeron has filled the empty position on his coaching staff.

On Saturday, the Tigers officially hired New Orleans Saints offensive assistant Joseph Brady.

Brady will fill the void left by former passing game coordinator Jerry Sullivan, who announced his retirement earlier this month.

Brady spent two seasons with the Saints from 2017-18, helping New Orleans finish among the best in the league in both the pass and run. Brady worked alongside quarterback Drew Brees and offensive coordinator Peter Carmichael in all aspects of game preparation.

Prior to his stint in New Orleans, Brady was a graduate assistant at Penn State from 2015-16, where he worked under current Mississippi State head coach Joe Moorhead, who was previously the offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach with the Nittany Lions. Brady's two years on staff also came at the same time NFL running back Saquon Barkley was at Penn State.

Before his stop at Penn State, Brady was a defensive assistant at William and Mary, his alma mater. He worked with the linebackers as part of the Tribe's staff in 2013-14.

Brady played college football as a wide receiver for William and Mary from 2009-12, where he was named an Academic All-Conference in 2011 and 2012.

He graduated from William and Mary with bachelor’s degrees in process management and consulting as well as kinesiology and health sciences and a minor in leadership and organizational management.

LSU now has 10 assistants on staff, with Brady joining an offensive staff that includes offensive coordinator Steve Ensminger, running backs coach Tommie Robinson, offensive line coach James Cregg and wide receivers coach Mickey Joseph.

On the defensive side, defensive coordinator Dave Aranda's staff includes defensive line coach Dennis Johnson, cornerbacks coach Corey Raymond and safeties coach Bill Busch. Greg McMahon is entering his second season as the team's special teams coordinator.

Stay tuned to Geaux247 for more on this breaking news.

• Like 1

LSU hires Saints offensive assistant Joe Brady as passing game coordinator

lsuucf.010219_HS_1128
LSU head coach Ed Orgeron leads the Tigers onto the field before kickoff against Central Florida in the PlayStation Fiesta Bowl, Tuesday, January 1, 2019, at State Farm Stadium in Glendale, Az. Advocate staff photo by HILARY SCHEINUK

Jan 26, 2019 - 12:29 pm
  •  
  •  
  •  

LSU has hired a replacement for Jerry Sullivan.

New Orleans Saints offensive assistant Joe Brady has been hired by LSU coach Ed Orgeron to be the Tigers' passing game coordinator, an LSU official confirmed with The Advocate Saturday.

The news was first reported by The Athletic's Bruce Feldman.

Brady, 28, will also assist LSU assistant coach Mickey Joseph in coaching the wide receivers, filling in the role held by Sullivan, who retired from LSU on Jan. 9.

Brady had a wide-ranging role as a coach in New Orleans, working under Saints offensive coordinator Pete Carmichael in the last two seasons.

In 2018, the Saints ranked third in the NFL with 31.5 points per game and eighth with 374.9 yards per game.

Brady is from Pembroke Pines, Florida, and he began his college playing career at Air Force before transferring to William & Mary after his freshman season. He recorded three catches for 34 yards in three seasons with the Tribe.

Immediately after his playing career ended, he became a student assistant at William & Mary, managing winter workouts and spring practice — a role that landed him a job as a defensive assistant with the Tribe in 2013.

Sullivan, 74, took on his role in Orgeron's staff in 2018 after serving as a consultant the previous year. He spent seven years with the Tigers from 1984-90 and also coached in the NFL for 25 years before his return to Baton Rouge in 2017.

When hired by the Saints. 

Report: Saints add Joe Brady as an offensive assistant 

64812447.jpg

The New Orleans Saints made a personnel move over the weekend, as they added former Penn State graduate assistant Joe Brady as an offensive assistant, per a report from The Times-Picayune.

Want to keep up with all things Saints?Don't miss any breaking news, take a second to sign up for our FREE Saints newsletter!

From The Times-Picayune:

"The New Orleans Saints appear to have a new addition to the coaching staff.

The Saints haven't announced any recent coaching staff hirings, but the Twitter page of Joe Brady reflects he is now an assistant football coach with the Saints.

Brady spent the past two seasons as a graduate assistant at Penn State.

He played wide receiver at William & Mary, where he served as a student assistant coach in 2012 at the conclusion of his playing career. William & Mary then hired him as a defensive assistant in July 2013."

The Saints have yet to officially announce the move. 

Saints losing offensive assistant Joe Brady to LSU Tigers 

The New Orleans Saints saw one of their staffers leave for the college ranks, with offensive assistant Joe Brady accepting a position with the LSU Tigers. Brady will become LSU’s new passing game coordinator and receivers coach after two seasons with the Saints, and before that spent two years with the Penn State program. College football reporter Bruce Feldman first reported the hiring, and Brody Miller of the Times-Picayune confirmed it.

Per LSU insider Michael Detillier, the Saints didn’t just expect Brady to leave, they offered ringing endorsements: both Saints head coach Sean Payton and receivers coach Curtis Johnson gave Brady their recommendation when he interviewed with LSU for the position, as well as Saints offensive coordinator Pete Carmichael.

The Saints will feel this loss at some level, but overall it’s a good development. Healthy coaching staffs want to see their team members move on to bigger roles and find success of their own. It’s part of being a winning team.

If this works, this is the introduction press conference for Ensminger, and soon after he starts speaking, he says he will develop the QB's, "you don't forget the 3 step drop, the 5 step drop or how to throw an out route".

http://www.lsusports.net/mediaPortal/player.dbml?&db_oem_id=5200&id=6236020

Then you have this quote from Forbes magazine in May 2018 (I guess they write about football also):

"That will be the mission for Ensminger, now entering his first full season as the Tigers’ offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach after LSU and Canada parted ways in the offseason. "

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidching/2018/05/16/all-kidding-aside-lsus-quarterback-reputation-is-worse-than-the-actual-results/#7791137b1811

Then from the Advocate, this is the caption right under the picture at the top of the article:

"LSU offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach Steve Ensminger"

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/sports/lsu/article_6454bc8c-aca8-11e8-bd3e-0b130b21bab3.html

image.png

Ok, just got off a call from someone I trust in New Orleans, his info was very telling. He kind of gave me an overview of Brady. Brady was a non stop coach, involved with the OC and QB coaches ( Spending time with Drew and the other QB’s). Game planning, player development. He more than likes the hire, from an LSU perspective. Red Zone offense, offensive transition, a better use of motions and formations. 

For Peyton to bring him into the organization tells, is all he needed to know. Peyton is very very selective. 

• Like 1

I often talk about coaches working with nick, working a couple years, padding their resume, then moving on. Brady working with Payton and Carmichael added to his resume. Often see a coach move get offers, this was one for Brady, from what I’m getting, he interviewed well, sold himself. Has knowledge of what he wants to bring into the program. 

On 1/26/2019 at 10:13 PM, houtiger said:

Ensminger said he was going to coach the QB's IIRC.  The last decade was not his fault for the QB position.

nothing is ever anyone on this staff’s fault. 

but on a a serious note, Steve has been here since 2010. I’m not going to blame him for the very poor QB play. 

but at the same time, he was in meetings, on practice fields, on sideline/in booth during the entire time we struggled at QB, so he obviously ain’t the answer to fixing it either. 

3 hours ago, Nutriaitch said:

but on a a serious note, Steve has been here since 2010. I’m not going to blame him for the very poor QB play. 

but at the same time, he was in meetings, on practice fields, on sideline/in booth during the entire time we struggled at QB, so he obviously ain’t the answer to fixing it either.

I disagree.

Per LSUsports.net

Gary Crowton                          2007-10                      Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks

Steve Kragthorpe                   2011-12                        Quarterbacks (Studwara years)

Cam Cameron                          2013-16                         Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks

http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=5200&ATCLID=1478150

Over the last decade we have had coaches with the responsibility to coach our QB's, and save for the last 2 years, it was not Ensminger.  Ensminger was in all the offensive meetings, but if coaching the QB's is not your job, then you are not responsible for what they did.  In no way did we learn anything about E's ability to coach the QB's, it was not his job.

In E's two years taking responsibility for the QB's, 2017 and '18, did the QB's make progress?  Some.  Etling improved his Sr. year, but experience will do that, but I think he was making progress during the season, I thought his best games came late in the year.  And this year it appeared to me that Burrow was making progress, but again, getting game reps will help some there, but he was also getting all the coaching attention through the week.

Based on E's limited time to be OC and QB coach, he has shown progress IMO with the guys he has been able to coach for 1 season.  It remains to be seen what he can do with a guy he has had for 3 or 4 years.  But I don't think he has shown anything so far that says he is not up to the job.

13 minutes ago, houtiger said:

I disagree.

Per LSUsports.net

Gary Crowton                          2007-10                      Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks

Steve Kragthorpe                   2011-12                        Quarterbacks (Studwara years)

Cam Cameron                          2013-16                         Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks

Over the last decade we have had coaches with the responsibility to coach our QB's, and save for the last 2 years, it was not Ensminger.  Ensminger was in all the offensive meetings, but if coaching the QB's is not your job, then you are not responsible for what they did.  In no way did we learn anything about E's ability to coach the QB's, it was not his job.

In E's two years taking responsibility for the QB's, 2017 and '18, did the QB's make progress?  Some.  Etling improved his Sr. year, but experience will do that, but I think he was making progress during the season, I thought his best games came late in the year.  And this year it appeared to me that Burrow was making progress, but again, getting game reps will help some there, but he was also getting all the coaching attention through the week.

Based on E's limited time to be OC and QB coach, he has shown progress IMO with the guys he has been able to coach for 1 season.  It remains to be seen what he can do with a guy he has had for 3 or 4 years.  But I don't think he has shown anything so far that says he is not up to the job.

seriously? “not his job”? do you really and truly believe that coaches on the same staff do not assist other positions if they have experience/expertise because it’s “not their job”? Especially if the guy actually played the position at the school in question.

i mean staffs travel to other teams to see how they do things and to learn from them, but don’t look across the table and say “hey Steve...”

also, he wasn’t QB coach in ‘17. Canada was. E was interim QB coach in ‘16  

again, i’m not in any way blaming E for our issues. 

but for a decade one of the below had to have happened:

4 different OC/QB coach (plus a HC apparently) obviously didn’t think E could help our QB woes in any way and never asked for assistance/advice. Had to be a reason that many different guys didn’t ask an actual former Tiger QB. (for the record, this is not very likely either)

E is just an enormous richardcranium who refused to help despite being asked because it wasn’t his job. (For the record, i think this by far is the least likely of the other options).

A previous OC/QB coach did seek and receive advice/assistance from E and our QBs still sucked rotten monkey ass. (for the record, this is my guess as to most realistic)

2 hours ago, houtiger said:

I disagree.

Per LSUsports.net

I believe Etling and Burrow made progress as their single seasons as starters progressed. 

That said, neither did squat against Alabama, or Florida and MSU for that matter. And until I see a QB do something to beat a decent defense, I'll maintain we need a damn QB coach. 

I think Brady is definitely gonna help with scheme though. 

2 hours ago, Nutriaitch said:

again, i’m not in any way blaming E for our issues. 

but for a decade one of the below had to have happened:

4 different OC/QB coach (plus a HC apparently) obviously didn’t think E could help our QB woes in any way and never asked for assistance/advice. Had to be a reason that many different guys didn’t ask an actual former Tiger QB. (for the record, this is not very likely either)

hou's reply: Yes, and all of those guys failed to produce excellent and well rounded offenses (except for the Cam Cameron/Mettenberger/OBJ/Jarvis Landry/Jeremy Hill year).  They were all fired, except Jimbo (who was his own QB coach), including Miles.  And this is not all up to coaching.  I think LSU was at a disadvantage attracting top talent at the QB position, due to the offense we ran and at times, the offensive coaching staff that other teams used to recruit against us.

E is just an enormous richardcranium who refused to help despite being asked because it wasn’t his job. (For the record, i think this by far is the least likely of the other options). (I agree)

A previous OC/QB coach did seek and receive advice/assistance from E and our QBs still sucked rotten monkey ass. (for the record, this is my guess as to most realistic)

hou's reply: And that is the point of my objection.  It's just a guess.  There is no way that it proves that Ensminger cannot be a very good QB coach.  Would Jimbo Fisher, or Crowton, Kragthorpe, or Cam Cameron or Matt Canada have asked Ensminger for his advice on coaching QB's?  I would say minimal, as I think all of those guys would have considered themselves very well qualified to do the job.  Would Ensminger have volunteered his observations, in meetings or one on one in private?  Probably.  Would he have been listened to?  Maybe, maybe not.  But at the end of the day, it was probably not Ensminger spending the most time individually tutoring our QB's the last decade.

Hou, I'll say this. I admire your tenacious defense of something I think we all hold in high regard... Steve Ensminger. 

That said, you say there's no way to prove he can't be a good QB coach. Here's two points...

1) Would you hire someone to run a division of your very high profile business based off of "I have nothing to prove he can't do the job"?

2) This isn't the first time he's been an OC/QB coach, so there's history. 

I have a hard time believing in the 20 years since he was a fire-able OC./QB coach that a light came on. Especially considering the evolution of offense since then with RPO and the like. (Which is why I feel good about Brady)

Fact is, O, and E, are a combined 0-6 against Saban, Jimbo, and Mullen.  Saban and Mullen have been the HC of the best defenses we've faced in that time frame. I won't hold the TAMU game against E. But E's good numbers have come against shyte defenses... with absolutely horrid performances against good/ great defenses... even while lsu's defense kept them in those games. 

Hou, 

EVERY good coach consults his peers. all of them. So i’m confident that the odds favor all of those guys talking with Steve. Especially with him being a former QB at this school.

but you seem to think we have a guru sitting on shelf for over a decade that nobody else on the planet had the intelligence to spot and hire for over 20 years. 

i like E. have a ton of respect for the man. He’s a tiger through and through. 

but the man first started coaching QBs back in 1984. And in that time, people can only name 1 QB that he’s developed into anything of note (Eric Zeier). ONE. 

so to recap:

we hired a HC that has never in his life assembled anything remotely resembling a championship team. we hired him to build a championship team (allegedly). 

we hired an OC/QB coach that hadn’t built an offense since before the freshmen on this team were even born. we hired him to “modernize” the offense. 

we hired a WR coach/passing game coordinator who has never in his entire life coached WR or coordinated a passing game. 

all of this by an AD that has never in his life hired a championhip caliber coach (in any sport).

this is LSU. 

is it really too much to ask for us to hire at least one guy with at least SOME history of doing what he was hired to do?

1 hour ago, Nutriaitch said:

Hou, 

EVERY good coach consults his peers. all of them. So i’m confident that the odds favor all of those guys talking with Steve. Especially with him being a former QB at this school.

but you seem to think we have a guru sitting on shelf for over a decade that nobody else on the planet had the intelligence to spot and hire for over 20 years. 

i like E. have a ton of respect for the man. He’s a tiger through and through. 

but the man first started coaching QBs back in 1984. And in that time, people can only name 1 QB that he’s developed into anything of note (Eric Zeier). ONE.

so to recap:

we hired a HC that has never in his life assembled anything remotely resembling a championship team. we hired him to build a championship team (allegedly). 

we hired an OC/QB coach that hadn’t built an offense since before the freshmen on this team were even born. we hired him to “modernize” the offense. 

we hired a WR coach/passing game coordinator who has never in his entire life coached WR or coordinated a passing game. 

all of this by an AD that has never in his life hired a championhip caliber coach (in any sport).

this is LSU. 

is it really too much to ask for us to hire at least one guy with at least SOME history of doing what he was hired to do?

First, I don't think we have a QB guru sitting on the shelf, I just don't think that one can prove from his record that he can't do the job.  The last decade at LSU it was NOT his job to coach the QB's.

And despite all of your gloom and doom about Alleva's coaching choices, we managed to finish 10-3 this year (we really beat A&M and were 11-2), finish #6 in the nation, with a suspect o-line and average at best SEC running backs.  I'll grant, our defense was EXCELLENT!  That was while playing 8 ranked teams, 5 were ranked in the top 10 when we played them, and we were 4-1 against the top 10 teams we played.  If one accepted your description of our coaching staff as "all that is important to determine the success they are likely to achieve", then they should just be failures, but the season was a success and enjoyable, at least from my perspective.

Apparently our stock of QB's following Miles / Cameron departure was not that good, only 1 remains on campus, a redshirt soph.  Matt Canada did not recruit a QB for us.  We have not seen a QB recruited by E and coached up by E.

As far as E as OC, I think the coming year will be the first where he is getting his people in place and the new scheme is assimilated.  I am as disappointed as anyone by our failure offensively against InbredGumps, but I do think Saban plays the starters all game against LSU and tries to win as big as possible against us, to help him win he recruiting wars. 

I think we made a recruiting mistake in the 2017 class, not getting a top RB candidate (like our miss in 2018 at CB with Surtain going to InbredGumps).  Curry came in 2018, but redshirted and did not help and our running game suffered last season.  That's not all on E, some is on O and the recruiting organization.

I think we will know a lot more about how good E can be after the coming season.  I can't certify him as a QB guru, my only point is I don't think we can write him off as a failure, and I am willing to give him some time to adequately evaluate what he can really do.

if 10-3 is a “success”, why exactly did we for the previous guy?

oh, right. to improve the offense. only we finished with fewer ypg and fewer ppv than the last full season of previous regime. 

and ive never called any of these coaches failures, nor have i predicted them to be failures. 

what i did say is that i have pretty much zero confidence in them producing a championship.  And so far they have shown no evidence of me being wrong about that. 

if what this staff staff has done so far is acceptable and a success, then why spend all the money we did to change coaches for nearly identical results?

however, if titles is the ultimate goal, then 3rd place in division for the 4th straight season means we missed the mark. 

oh, that’s right he needs more time.  even though Jimbo, Mullen, and Smart have all improved their team’s finishes in fewer years than O has here, and O’s exact words were that we’d be a championship caliber team “fast. very fast”.  

i guess so much for the “very fast” part. 

or the “this is not a rebuild” part. 

2 hours ago, houtiger said:

I am as disappointed as anyone by our failure offensively against InbredGumps, but I do think Saban plays the starters all game against LSU and tries to win as big as possible against us, to help him win he recruiting wars. 

Wait, it matters less because Saban tries harder against LSU, so not really fair??

I guess he didn't try against Clemson. Of course, they had a better RB... from Louisiana, that we slow played until he said frick off. 

Regarding Surtain... that wasn't the failure. Kid made a choice. The issue was telling Goodrich take a hike thinking we had Surtain. That was stupid! Surtain was to be the ONLY CB?? We wound up with multiple spots available, no CBs, Surtain at InbredGumps, and Goodrich at... you guessed it,  CLEMSON. 

And we did NOT actually beat A&M... mainly because we ran out of...CBs

This is very off topic, sorry. 

I'm happy about Joe Brady. I just think we should also be looking for an OC/QB coach that can compete with good defenses... even when they "play their starters" and actually try hard lol. Joe will help this offense, but if you have to hire an analyst to help your OC keep up with modern offense, you need a new OC

2 hours ago, Nutriaitch said:

if 10-3 is a “success”, why exactly did we for the previous guy?

oh, right. to improve the offense. only we finished with fewer ypg and fewer ppv than the last full season of previous regime. 

and ive never called any of these coaches failures, nor have i predicted them to be failures. 

what i did say is that i have pretty much zero confidence in them producing a championship.  And so far they have shown no evidence of me being wrong about that. 

if what this staff staff has done so far is acceptable and a success, then why spend all the money we did to change coaches for nearly identical results?

however, if titles is the ultimate goal, then 3rd place in division for the 4th straight season means we missed the mark. 

oh, that’s right he needs more time.  even though Jimbo, Mullen, and Smart have all improved their team’s finishes in fewer years than O has here, and O’s exact words were that we’d be a championship caliber team “fast. very fast”.  

i guess so much for the “very fast” part. 

or the “this is not a rebuild” part.

Things needed to change, and the change has been positive.

Here are O's final ranks by year (all AP):

2018 - #6, 2017 - #18 (with QB guru Matt Canada and Derrius Guice), 2016 - #13 (after 8 games under O)

Here are Miles final rankings by year after the great 2011 season:

2016 - Unranked in week 5 after 2-2 start (fired), 2015 - #16, 2014 - Unranked, 2013 - #14, 2012 - #14

That is the highest ranking at season end, and the first top ten ranking at season end in 7 years.  That is why the change was made.  Under Miles we became mired in mediocrity.  Under O, we took a step forward this year.  Can we continue to improve?  That is the $64,000 question.

Even if you look at the great Sambini, he went 7-6, 12-2, then 14-0, so he took 3 years to reach the level he is at now, always making the college playoff.