Gameday Tigers

LSU Has Hired Football Coach Joe Brady

LSUDad

This is where Nootch and I will disagree...although we used to be on the same page here. 

I am actually OK with O at this point.  I still feel and always will feel that the "search" was atrocious and lazy, but it is what it is at this point.  O is here and gaining traction, LSU exceeded the MEDIA'S expectations last season (not mine, I figured with what we had on defense alone, we were a 10 win team).  

I'm not OK with E as OC and my reasons are factual and clearly evident.  We struggle against good defenses. 

I'm happy about Joe Brady being hired on.  I think the plan may be to groom him to replace E in a couple years, and I'm OK with that.  I hope we see results warranting it THIS season though.  

9 minutes ago, houtiger said:

Even if you look at the great Sambini, he went 7-6, 12-2, then 14-0, so he took 3 years to reach the level he is at now, always making the college playoff. 

please tell me you are not seriously attempting to compare Ed O to Nick Saban. 

or trying to compare taking over a 10 win program. 

Alabama in the 10 years prior to hiring Saban. 67-55 (.554). 4 losing seasons. 3 seasons with 10+ wins.  7 seasons with 5 or more losses.  1 div title. 0 conf title. 0 national title.

LSU in 10 years prior to hiring O. 101-30 (.771). 0 losing seasons. 6 seasons with 10+ wins. 2 season with 5 or more losses.  2 West titles. 2 conf titles. 1 national title. 

but ok, let’s play along, shall we?

Nick Saban year 2 at InbredGumps: undefeated regular season and in SEC CG. 2 wins against National championship winning coaches (both on the road)

if you’re keeping score at home, that’s more division titles, more wins against NC winning coaches, more unbeaten regular seasons, more 12 win seasons, etc. etc. etc. than our current guy has in his entire career.  

year 3, Saban won a natty. will O?

1 minute ago, Nutriaitch said:

so, choke job on biggest Campaign Promise. 

but everything is fine. 

I considered his biggest campaign promise as "this is not a rebuild", but no, it's not fine that E is OC.  

I think Brady was hired to groom as a replacement for E, but I don't know that.  It's definitely one reason I like the hire though

15 minutes ago, Fishhead said:

I considered his biggest campaign promise as "this is not a rebuild", but no, it's not fine that E is OC.  

I think Brady was hired to groom as a replacement for E, but I don't know that.  It's definitely one reason I like the hire though

ok, so swing and miss on top TWO campaign promises. 

as far as Brady, we don’t know enough about this cat to celebrate or complain yet.  

never been a position coach yet. never been any type of coordinator yet. 

he’s worked with some really good offensive minds, but we honestly have zero clue if he picked up anything from them and/or has the ability to teach it to others. 

and who is going to groom him?

O? a career defensive guy

E? the guy we’re both complaining about as OC.

This dude named Sean Payton already did some grooming.  

Bottom line, if things don't improve with him in the mix, then he doesn't get the OC gig to replace E.  If he does, great. 

Either way, no offense to a great older football mind, but I'd rather have a fresh young energetic guy like Brady in the mix than Sullivan at this point in his career.  Sorry not sorry.

1 hour ago, Nutriaitch said:

please tell me you are not seriously attempting to compare Ed O to Nick Saban. 

or trying to compare taking over a 10 win program. 

Alabama in the 10 years prior to hiring Saban. 67-55 (.554). 4 losing seasons. 3 seasons with 10+ wins.  7 seasons with 5 or more losses.  1 div title. 0 conf title. 0 national title.

LSU in 10 years prior to hiring O. 101-30 (.771). 0 losing seasons. 6 seasons with 10+ wins. 2 season with 5 or more losses.  2 West titles. 2 conf titles. 1 national title.

but ok, let’s play along, shall we?

Nick Saban year 2 at InbredGumps: undefeated regular season and in SEC CG. 2 wins against National championship winning coaches (both on the road)

if you’re keeping score at home, that’s more division titles, more wins against NC winning coaches, more unbeaten regular seasons, more 12 win seasons, etc. etc. etc. than our current guy has in his entire career.  

year 3, Saban won a natty. will O?

Not trying to compare O to Sambini.  Saban has the record, will go down as one of the top 5 college coaches of all time.  But even the great Sambini took a few years to get to the level he is at now.  That's all I said.

11 minutes ago, houtiger said:

Not trying to compare O to Sambini.  Saban has the record, will go down as one of the top 5 college coaches of all time.  But even the great Sambini took a few years to get to the level he is at now.  That's all I said.

I guess the problem I have with that view is, you're simply looking at O's tenure at LSU while you're looking at Saban's entire career when you say "took a few years to get to the level he is at now".  That's not a fair comparison at all. Saban took over TWO programs in the cellar, LSU and InbredGumps, and turned them around quickly.  You say year 3, but in year 3 he went from losing season(s) to National Champions!!

O has a history.  Yes, he's only been at LSU for two full seasons as HC, but Nootch is right.  He took over a program already built to win, no matter what some say.  HE even said it.  HE said it wasn't a rebuild. Y'all like to say Les left the trenches in shambles, but ACTUALLY, SEVERAL guys left the program under O's watch, and that gives the appearance the trenches were left empty.  But hey, anything to make a talking point, facts be damned.

NO DOUBT Miles' LSU team was slipping, although slightly.  You like to give O the benefit of the doubt like "we didn't actually lose the TAMU game" (we did, btw), but you are quick to forget in 2015, a gimme win was cancelled by friggin LIGHTNING, or else that's a 10 win season.  Instead, we almost fired the coach before that season was over (probably should've been, to be honest, and Jimbo would be the HC of LSU now).  

O made promises, and he broke them nearly immediately.  He's going to have detractors.  In the meantime, he's starting to gain traction nationally and gaining respect, all the while, recruiting seems to be better than last season.  Image is everything and he needs to continue to win to improve his image.  But screw image.  Quit getting shut out by InbredGumps at home and compete with them, dammit.  If he can't do that, he'll be out the door like Miles in a couple years.  Simple as that.  Tired of the excuses.  You'll say, "well Miles wasn't competing against InbredGumps anymore either".  OK, and he was FIRED.  His replacement should be an improvement or he'll be fired too.  Period.  And no, just because we won 10 this season, that's not an improvement.  It's static.  

You can just look at wins, or you can look at ending national ranking.  You choose to look at things in the worst light.  But O has led the team to the highest season ending ranking in 7 years, playing 8 ranked teams and 4 out of the top 10.  #6, that's progress.

Looks like he's bringing in a very good class.  Clearly the offense needs to improve against the top defenses.  Let's see.  If the program starts to backslide, don't extend him and maybe he's gone.  I have no problem with that.  Miles was not getting it done any more, he needed to go.  If it's O's time to go, let him go.  Right now, I see progress, and it is clearly not time to let anyone go.  Nor would I extend anyone yet.

But personally I like O and E, and I am pulling for them to succeed.

2013   10-3

2014   8-5

2015    9-3 with the missed game due to lightning against McNeese (so 10 win season, y'all would say if it was O), coach nearly fired except LA politics

That's 27-11.  In 2012, LSU won 10 as well.  In 2011, LSU won 13 games.  

Bottom line, static in the last 5 years including Miles' last 3 and O's 2, NOT including the 2016 season neither coached the whole time. 

Just quit moving the goalposts for the guy.  He does it himself more than enough.

If he's the man for LSU, that'll be shown shortly.  He's got ALL the ingredients in 2019.  Let's see what he does with it and go from there. 

5 minutes ago, houtiger said:

You can just look at wins, or you can look at ending national ranking.  You choose to look at things in the worst light.  But O has led the team to the highest season ending ranking in 7 years, playing 8 ranked teams and 4 out of the top 10.  #6, that's progress.

Looks like he's bringing in a very good class.  Clearly the offense needs to improve against the top defenses.  Let's see.  If the program starts to backslide, don't extend him and maybe he's gone.  I have no problem with that.  Miles was not getting it done any more, he needed to go.  If it's O's time to go, let him go.  Right now, I see progress, and it is clearly not time to let anyone go.  Nor would I extend anyone yet.

But personally I like O and E, and I am pulling for them to succeed.

I like E, and believe it or not, I also like O.  I also am pulling for them to succeed, as I am an LSU fan.  

You can just look at wins

Well yeah, that's the idea.  I can also look at losses, like 8 in a row to InbredGumps, 3 in a row to Mullen, etc....

Bottom line, the win against UCF and some losses by teams in bowl games helped our final ranking, and it IS a good ranking.  I DO hope it rolls over into next season with momentum.  But like you said, until we improve the offense to where we can actually score against good defenses (that play their starters the whole game, them bastards), we'll remain static.  Hopefully Brady can help. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, houtiger said:

COMPETE FOR CHAMPIONSHIPS

that was the criteria. 

thats the reason Miles was fired. You say it’s his offense, which is correct. But let’s face it if he was winning titles nobody would give a shyte about his offense. 

that was the criteria Alleva himself gave when “searching” for a coach. 

we lost 3 regular season games. again.  (Same as 3 of Les last 4 seasons)

we finished by NOT being in the playoffs. again. 

we got shutout by Alabama. again.

that is not progress. 

yes we finished #6. thanks to more teams than usual losing 3+ games this year. 

typically the highest ranked 3 loss team is right around #10.  this year 4 such teams finished inside the top 10.

0-3 against other coaches on the short list to replace Miles. 2 of those 3 losses to guys in first year of actual rebuilds. 

0-6 against the 3 best coaches on our annual schedule. 

10 total points in 3 tries against Alabama (Miles hadn’t scored fewer than 13 in any one game since ‘11 title game, BTW). 

2 hours ago, houtiger said:

Not time to let anyone go

And to be clear, I agree with this. 

I DO think we need a different OC, but I wouldn't want E fired. I'd want him back as TE coach. Maybe even QB coach. You mentioned earlier he was QB coach and OC. I believe a QB coach should be on the sideline with his QB, not in the booth. 

Any statement made against E being OC seems to be interpreted as "I  don't like E", and that's just not the case. 

There are verifiable reasons why he shouldn't be OC, and they are well documented. Has zero to do with anyone not "liking" him. 

1 hour ago, Nutriaitch said:

oh, it is WAAAAAAAAAAAAY past time to let Joe Alleva go. 

Alleva should've never been hired after the Duke debacle. 

That said, don't look for him to go anywhere any time soon. 

So far, the search debacle hasn't imploded on him,  Nunez was able to get Will Wade here,  and baseball is lsu baseball. Gymnastics is strong and T&F looks to be back. It would take something none of us want to get him ousted at this point. At this point it's not unlikely the 3 major sports plus gymnastics could end up top 10 nationally in the same year. 

25 minutes ago, Fishhead said:

Alleva should've never been hired after the Duke debacle. 

That said, don't look for him to go anywhere any time soon. 

So far, the search debacle hasn't imploded on him,  Nunez was able to get Will Wade here,  and baseball is lsu baseball. Gymnastics is strong and T&F looks to be back. It would take something none of us want to get him ousted at this point. At this point it's not unlikely the 3 major sports plus gymnastics could end up top 10 nationally in the same year. 

i don’t really folllow basketball, but have heard they are doing well. Are they a realistic shot at finishing top 10?

2 hours ago, Nutriaitch said:

i don’t really folllow basketball, but have heard they are doing well. Are they a realistic shot at finishing top 10?

They are 16-3 and in the middle of an 18 game home win streak. 

But it's basketball. Ranking means little. RPI has been replaced with "NET", and LSU'S NET is better than their current ranking. At this point they would be a 3 seed if the tourney started today. 

Maybe the best description of Brady...  

Meet LSU's newest (and youngest) assistant football coach, Joe Brady; 'He's an innovator'

LSU: Joe Brady

New LSU passing game coordinator Joe Brady was a student and defensive assistant at William & Mary from 2013-2014.

Photo provided by the William & Mary athletic department

Brooks Kubena

Brooks Kubena

•  
  •  
  •  

Last summer, Ed Orgeron and the LSU coaching staff gathered inside the Tigers football facilities for a presentation. It was to learn about the New Orleans Saints offense from their offensive coordinator, Pete Carmichael, who had coached with Orgeron when they were both Saints assistants in 2008.

Carmichael brought along a young and fervent offensive assistant, who at one point took over the presentation and captivated the LSU coaching staff with his command of schemes and strategies.

The impression lasted for nearly a year, and Monday, that assistant was formally announced as the replacement for passing game coordinator Jerry Sullivan, who retired in early January.

Meet Joe Brady, the newest member of the LSU coaching staff.

He’s the 28-year-old — the youngest football coach on campus — who has swiftly moved up in his short career by impressing coaches with his commitment and atomic knowledge of the game.

Brady earned two bachelor’s degrees in business and kinesiology while he was a wide receiver at William & Mary, an FCS program in Williamsburg, Virginia.

Then, as an assistant coach with the Tribe, he was ushered into one of the most prestigious coaching fraternities in the history of football, which eventually thrust him into film rooms and practice fields with the potent offenses of Penn State and the Saints.

Brady’s endorsements come from head coaches like New Orleans’ Sean Payton and Mississippi State’s Joe Moorhead. Speaking to several coaches, Brady usually earned more responsibility than his small roles called for, and they say Brady is just the kind of coach to spark LSU in a highly competitive offensive era.

“There’s obviously people in high places singing his praises,” said Trevor Andrews, who was a defensive assistant at William & Mary for 18 seasons. “We won’t put our name behind somebody as coaches if that person isn’t ready for it.”

A few weeks ago, Orgeron called his friend and former co-worker, Kevin Rogers, to talk about Brady. Orgeron and Rogers had been assistants at Syracuse together in the late ’90s, and Rogers was offensive coordinator at William & Mary from 2013-16.

“(Brady’s) one of my favorite guys right there,” said Rogers, who had coached Brett Favre as an assistant with the Minnesota Vikings. “He’ll be great for Ed. Ed’s a grinder. Joe will be a grinder.”

'You can always count on Joe Brady'

Rodney Rumph looked over the tall, lanky freshman who said he wanted to play wide receiver for Everglades High.

“So we’re in South Florida,” Rumph said as a reminder. “This skinny fella comes in, and he’s not as fast as some of the athletes we have. When I first got him, I looked at him and said there’s absolutely no way he works in this lineup.”

Everglades High was built in 2003 inside Miramar — a suburban community 30 miles northeast of Miami — and Rumph, the school’s wide receivers coach, had already produced college receivers like Cedric Fraser (Central Michigan) and Willie Clark (Clark Atlanta).

Brady’s father played college football at Clemson, but the pipes to the gene pool hadn’t yet started to flow.

Rumph said he saw one of the fastest improvements in his coaching career. Brady, whose “work ethic was impeccable,” dropped his 40-yard dash time from a 4.9 to a 4.4 and ended up starting for the GayTurds as a sophomore.

And by the time Brady graduated in 2008, Rumph knew he would one day become a coach.

“He was the one getting on your nerves asking questions,” said Rumph, who is now the head coach at Everglades. “ ‘What do I do if this happens? Where does this guy go on this play?’ You just knew that based on what he did.”

Now Rumph is the one asking Brady questions: What are schools looking for? What was it like coaching with a fella like Drew Brees?

In Everglades' short history, Brady is one of the few players to go on to become a college coach. He’ll be joining his high school teammate Jonathan Decoster, a graduate assistant at LSU who was an offensive lineman back in Miramar.

Rumph said Brady has returned to Everglades every summer since he graduated. He meets with players and answers questions. A picture hangs inside the Everglades hallways near the library, superseded by the word "READ." Brady, wearing a black GayTurds uniform, is engrossed in a copy of “No Excuses” — a biography of former Notre Dame head coach Charlie Weis.

+2  
image.png.a60976c86144b214a74aab973e9a1a7e.png

Joe Brady's picture hangs on a wall in Everglades High in Miramar, Florida.

BY BROOKS KUBENA | BKUBENA@THEADVOCATE.COM

“You can always count on Joe Brady,” Rumph said.

The 'Brady Board'

When Andrews cleaned out his defensive coordinator’s office at William & Mary in early January, he stumbled upon the “Brady Board.”

The 2-foot-by-3-foot dry-erase board had kept a weekly calendar that accounted for nearly every day from 2013-14.

Andrews had introduced the “Brady Board” as a joke — something to humorously satisfy the Tribe’s hyper-focused student assistant who always wanted to know exactly what was going on.

Meetings. Practices. Recruiting trips. All of the dates were drawn out in Expo pen.

“(Brady’s) very organized,” said Andrews, now the linebackers coach at Western Michigan. “Loves to stay on task. If I would get off task, he would get frustrated. So, I put up the 'Brady Board' and put down everything he could expect for the day.”

With the calendar, Brady knew exactly when he could get his side projects done. He earned a reputation among the William & Mary coaching staff as someone who could do an incredible amount of quality work in a short period of time. Sometimes he’d break down film. One time, he reworked Andrews’ entire defensive playbook in a completely different format.

“You’d give him a project to work on and expected it to be done in a week or two. Then, it would be two days later, and it would be done excellently,” Andrews said. “He’d do that while I was out recruiting. When I got back, I expected him to have a hundred questions for me, and he’d just have knocked it out.”

Brady’s dependability was one of the main reasons legendary Tribe head coach Jimmye Laycock allowed Brady to join the coaching staff as an unpaid student assistant the spring after his senior season.

That’s how Brady became part of one of the most impressive coaching trees in all of football.

Dozens of coaches went on to higher positions in both the NCAA and professional leagues after working under Laycock, who retired in November after 39 seasons at William & Mary. Three disciples became NFL head coaches: Sean McDermott (Buffalo Bills), Mike Tomlin (Pittsburgh Steelers) and Dan Quinn (Atlanta Falcons).

“He wasn’t the most talented player,” Laycock said of Brady, who recorded three catches for 34 yards in three seasons after transferring in from Air Force. “But he always wanted to know a lot about everything we were doing. He really knew his stuff inside and out. In fact, some of the other players depended on him out there to know what they should be doing.”

+2  
image.png.97250fb38bfc198d05cb59e57c38cacd.png

Joe Brady caught three passes for 34 yards in three seasons as a wide receiver at William & Mary from 2009-2012.

And after Brady spent an offseason breaking down film and setting up drills, Laycock offered Brady a full-time position as a defensive assistant — the only opening the Tribe had available.

“We would usually never hire an offensive guy,” Andrews said. “But he had such a high football IQ.”

One of Brady’s main responsibilities was running the scout-team offense — a practice unit that really only needed to know enough placeholder information to give the first-string defense a sufficient look.

But Brady would teach the scout team the real thing — right down to the intricacies within Rogers’ West Coast offense.

“When I got (the scout team) back, they knew what the hell was going on,” Rogers said. “When you send the scout team down to defensive coaches, usually they’re just making up names for stuff.”

And when the William & Mary offense changed its schemes throughout the season, Brady would change it on the scout team, too.

“He taught himself the offense again and again,” Rogers said.

Rogers said Brady “basically lived at the football office,” where he was soaked up offensive information and coaching advice “like a sponge.”

Then in 2015, Brady landed a graduate assistant job at Penn State — connecting with then-defensive coordinator Bob Shoop, who had been an assistant at William & Mary from 2007-10.

Mississippi State’s Moorhead became offensive coordinator in 2016, and Brady was tutored in Penn State’s run-pass-option offense, which ranked 21st in scoring at 37.6 points per game, while the Nittany Lions went 11-3 and won the Big Ten championship game.

After Brady’s two years at Penn State, he connected with the Saints through their assistant offensive line coach, Brendan Nugent, who was Brady’s wide receivers coach at William & Mary in 2008.

Brady had a supportive role with the Saints in 2017 and 2018, aiding Payton, Carmichael and the rest of the offensive staff. The Saints ranked No. 3 in the NFL in 2018 with 31.5 points per game, and No. 12 with 252.6 yards per game.

One of Brady’s main influences, Rogers said, was learning how to disguise offenses — something that is ingrained in Payton’s strategies in New Orleans. Rogers also disguised offenses at William & Mary.

Most of the time, Rogers said, defensive coordinators will design their game plans according to what offensive personnel they’ll see on the field.

If there’s two running backs and a tight end, the defense will throw out a play based on what the offense’s threats appear to be. But if an offense can make a play look like it’s something else — say, lining up versatile Saints running back Alvin Kamara as a slot receiver before motioning him to the backfield — it can create several successful options.

There were few options for LSU to disguise its offense in 2018, since it had taken several hits to its personnel throughout the season — most notably when senior Foster Moreau was the only tight end left after Jamal Pettigrew (ACL) and Thaddeus Moss (foot) suffered season-ending injuries.

But the LSU offense, which ranked 38th in the NCAA at 32.4 points per game last season, appears to have several tools available for 2019.

Running back Clyde Edwards-Helaire will be joined by top recruits John Emery and Tyrion Davis-Price, and leading receiver Justin Jefferson headlines a young group of talented receivers.

Just what kind of tweaks might Brady bring to LSU?

“I think they’ll balance them in a lot of ways,” Rogers said. “Runs called that end up being passes. Passes that end up being runs. From a lot of different formations. He’ll try and take advantage of what he sees.”

“Joe brings something different to the table. He’s an innovator. He’s going to be on the cutting edge.”

• 2 weeks later...

Ed Orgeron calls LSU's new passing game coordinator Joe Brady 'a game-changer'; RPO on its way

LSU: Joe Brady

New LSU passing game coordinator Joe Brady was a student and defensive assistant at William & Mary from 2013-2014.

Ed Orgeron offered his first public thoughts on the hiring of new passing game coordinator Joe Brady, who filled the now-retired Jerry Sullivan's spot on the coaching staff in January.

Orgeron called Brady "a game-changer," and said that the LSU players went crazy when the 28-year-old's hiring was announced.

"I've never seen players go crazy for an assistant coach like that," said Orgeron, who noted it was probably because he was close to their age. "I'm sure he's a relief to them."

Brady, a former New Orleans Saints offensive assistant, impressed Orgeron and the LSU coaching staff last summer, when part of the Saints offensive coaching staff came down to Baton Rouge to give a presentation about their schemes.

"Joe just took it over," Orgeron said. "And we could tell right there that this guy is special."

Orgeron said Brady is "an expert" in the run-pass option offense, which is something he said he's been working toward since he was hired full-time head coach after the 2016 season.

"We are retooling the offense," Orgeron said. "It's exactly what I wanted from the get-go. I think Joe and (offensive coordinator) Steve Ensminger will work well together."

2 hours ago, Nutriaitch said:

this the third different “exactly what i wanted” he’s hired so far. 

What? I know literally nobody that said E was exactly what they wanted. I know people that like E, and even some that want him to remain OC, but nobody that hoped he would be hired permanently. 

Brady transitioning us to RPO with the QBs we're recruiting is good

I think Nootch meant that O said E was exactly what O wanted.  I'm thinking that Sullivan, the receivers coach, did not work out as well as LSU expected.  He may be the master of route running technique, but it didn't look like the passing game (the scheme to use FH word) advanced as much as people hoped.  So, he "retired" and was replaced, probably with more of a scheme guy than a master of route running technique.  Thank god for Joe Burrow, he was the biggest improvement in the passing attack.  I don't have any inside info, I'm just guessing.