Gameday Tigers

2019 NFL Draft-Tiger Players

LSUDad

The 2019 NFL Draft will be the 84th annual meeting of National Football League (NFL) franchises to select newly eligible players. The draft will be held on April 25–27 in Nashville, Tennessee. The first round will be held on April 25, followed by the second and third rounds on April 26, and will conclude with rounds 4–7 on April 27.

Will go a little deeper into the draft, a little later. One guy that looks to have bumped up in the draft. TE Foster Moreau, after being invited to the 2019 Senior Bowl Invitee. Some had him right inside the top 10 TE's. But we all knew he could block. What happened within the Sr Bowl practices, in his receiving game, made a few Scouts and Teams take notice. What was once a 8-10 spot in the TE range, now might have in the top 7. We will see what he does in the Pro Days. Another item, he has spent time working out up North, getting ready for the combine. As always, best of luck to all the Tigers.

• 1 month later...
On 1/31/2019 at 3:36 PM, LSUDad said:

Will go a little deeper into the draft, a little later. One guy that looks to have bumped up in the draft. TE Foster Moreau, after being invited to the 2019 Senior Bowl Invitee. Some had him right inside the top 10 TE's. But we all knew he could block. What happened within the Sr Bowl practices, in his receiving game, made a few Scouts and Teams take notice. What was once a 8-10 spot in the TE range, now might have in the top 7. We will see what he does in the Pro Days. Another item, he has spent time working out up North, getting ready for the combine. As always, best of luck to all the Tigers.

FYI: They were talking about Foster at the combine. Talking about the Island Of Foster Moreau. His time in the 40, 4.66 and 4.70, not bad at all. I said after talking with a Scout, when I started this thread on Jan. 31, Foster was one folks were keeping an eye on. Wearing the #18, gives an insight to his character. 

Looking back over the years, one guy that sat the bench, ended up the first player taken into the NFL that year, as a Tiger. A little more:

No one picks on Davidson pick anymore

(0)

PITTSBURGH -- It was late in the afternoon on a Sunday late in April when the Pittsburgh Steelers stunned everyone who claimed to be an expert on the 1990 National Football League draft.

In the second round, the Steelers selected LSU defensive lineman Kenneth Davidson.

When the Steelers explained Davidson was 6-foot-5, 274-pounds and could run a 40-yard dash in 4.64 seconds, that seemed to fit in with his standing as a No. 2 pick. But then came the disturbing news.

Davidson wasn't even a starter for his college team as a senior. He was a backup, and the player who kept him on the bench, Karl Dunbar, wasn't selected by anyone until the Steelers also picked him on the eighth round.

How can an NFL team pick somebody who cannot even start for LSU, hardly a national power in 1989, on the second round?

The Steelers were roundly criticized then, but suddenly the critics have vanished. Because in the first two games of his rookie season, Davidson already has 2.5 quarterback sacks, a pace that projects to 20 over the course of a 16-game season.

Davidson recorded a sack of Browns quarterback Bernie Kosar on his first regular-season NFL play.

'I hope it's a sign of good things to come,' said Steelers assistant Joe Greene. 'It's like a baseball player going out and hitting a home run in his first at bat.'

Like hitting a home run in his first major league at bat after sitting on the bench at the Tiple A level.

'It was frustrating at LSU, not being able to start and seeing guys on television, making something happen,' said Davidson. 'I would sit there and think, I could do that. Fortunately for me, it turned out to be all right.'

It turned out to be all right largely because Davidson was invited to play in the Senior Bowl in Mobile, Ala. During the week of practice leading up to the game, Davidson sufficiently impressed the Steelers scouts to get them thinking of him as a high-round draft choice.

He simply reinforced their opinion at the scouting combine, and then came his unexpected selection on draft day.

'He took advantage of every opportunity,' said Steelers assistant Joe Greene. 'He went from having a good Senior Bowl to an invitation to the combine to being a No. 2 pick. He never started, but he was on a mission.'

Moreau's rise shouldn't be a surprise

Foster Moreau(Photo: Icon Sportswire, Getty)

Thanks to an impressive lead up to the 2019 NFL Draft, former LSU tight end Foster Moreau’s stock is officially on the rise.

He was named one of the standout players during the Senior Bowl week in late January, then backed up that showing with a solid NFL Combine this past weekend.

Moreau checked in at 6-4 1/8 and 253 pounds, spot on with the average for current NFL tight ends. He also measured with above average hands (9 5/8), arms (33 4/8) and wingspan (81 4/8) for a tight end prospect. Scouts certainly liked his measurements, but then came the real show.

Moreau’s 4.66 40-yard dash was the fifth-fastest among the tight ends at the combine. His 36.5-inch vertical was top three among tight ends, and his 7.16 three-cone drills and 10’1” broad jump ranked seventh and fourth among tight ends. But perhaps most impressive was his 4.11 shuttle, which was the best of any tight end at the combine. To put that speed into perspective, only three wide receivers at the combine clocked a faster short shuttle.

Toss in 22 reps at 225 pounds on the bench press, and Moreau was certainly among the stock risers from the weekend, regardless of which position is being put under the microscope.

As he keeps inching up draft boards and into the national conversation among tight ends, the question becomes how did he seemingly have so far to climb in the first place?

No, Moreau didn’t post the same stats as some other top tight ends in the draft class. Iowa’s Noah Fant, who also had a huge combine showing, caught 69 passes for 1,013 yards and 18 touchdowns over the past two seasons. Meanwhile, Moreau finished his senior year with 22 catches for 272 yards and two touchdowns.

But as expected with an inline tight end who spent plenty of time keeping quarterback Joe Burrow clean, a glance at the stats don’t tell the complete tale. Moreau, who wore No. 18 as one of the team’s veteran leaders, spent most of his time helping out as a blocker above a pass-catcher.

That said, Moreau still recorded at least one catch in 10 of LSU’s 13 games, even with Burrow spreading the ball around more than LSU’s been used to. During his senior season, 10 players on LSU’s team caught at least 10 passes, with more than half that group catching 20-plus passes. For comparison’s sake, Fant was part of a talented two-tight end attack at Iowa where he and T.J. Hockenson led the team in touchdowns and yards per game. Meanwhile, only four other players on Iowa’s team recorded more than 10 catches on the year.

With college football in his rearview mirror, how high can Moreau climb on draft boards?

NFL.com’s Chad Reuter released his three-round mock draft 2.0 ahead of the combine last week, and he pegged Moreau to come off the board in the third round to the Dallas Cowboys with the No. 90 overall selection.

After his showing this past week, Moreau might have put himself squarely in that range - with the chance to even climb a little higher. Despite being labeled as a blocker, he’s one of the most athletic tight ends in the draft pool. In fact, his 134.4 SPARQ score was the second-best behind Fant among all tight ends in the draft, and he tested in the 90th percentile of NFL tight ends in the Three Sigma Athlete draft database.

Looking back, a quick glance over his story from high school to the NFL Draft paints the picture of the ultimate rags to riches story.

He was offered a scholarship by LSU on National Signing Day, the lone Power 5 program to extend an offer to the New Orleans three-star prospect. Moreau wasn’t considered an elite prospect by any major recruiting services, and he left high school in the 2015 class as the No. 74 tight end prospect in the country by the 247Sports Composite and the No. 46 tight end by 247Sports.

At that point, it seemed Moreau was far off from becoming an NFL Draft selection, let alone landing inside the first three rounds.

But much like a glance at his senior stats doesn’t tell the entire tale, Moreau can make the case that the signs for success were always there. And at this point, it’s becoming clear both the recruiting industry and college teams overlooked him as a prospect in high school.

Size and production are paramount for tight ends, and Moreau checked the boxes. He broke onto the scene as a junior when he caught 35 passes for 475 yards and six touchdowns. By his senior year of high school, Moreau was 6-foot-5 and 225 pounds, and he had 37 receptions for 550 yards and seven touchdowns en route to Jesuit’s first state title in more than 50 years.

He also had a two-sport resume that shined a light on his athleticism, which after this weekend’s combine is evident. Moreau started at center and averaged 14 points and 12 rebounds per game as a senior on the Jesuit basketball team.

He even had family connections to college athletics, which is often seen in top prospects on the football field. Moreau’s mother, Tricia Moreau, lettered in volleyball at Tulane in the mid-1980s. His sister, Claire Moreau, was an indoor and outdoor Louisiana state champion in the high jump and javelin and now runs track and throws for the Penn track-and-field team.

Glancing back over all the aforementioned, it certainly doesn’t look like the resume of the No. 74 tight end prospect in the country.

20COMMENTS

NFL scouts will soak up all of Moreau’s data as he rises up draft boards, and even without the senior stats of other pass-catching tight ends in the draft, he still leaves LSU with the seventh-most catches by a tight end (57) and fourth-most touchdowns by a tight end (6) in program history. And with plenty of experience in the blocking game while playing in the nation’s toughest conference, the former Tiger certainly has the resume needed to play on Sundays.

The good thing for Moreau is that it’s becoming evident that his recent success in the Senior Bowl and NFL Combine weren’t a flash in the pan, but rather an affirmation of the talent and athleticism that’s been there all along.

Last night I was talking with someone who has a interest in the Saints. He said Foster would be a great pickup for them. Some think he may be around the 3-4th rounds. Keep an eye on the Pats, this is what they like. Would fit them or the Saints. More on Saints Draft spots. 

The New Orleans Saints will not know where they pick in the 2019 NFL Draft order until after their playoff journey has run its course (hopefully, ending with a Super Bowl championship). But they do have a rough idea of which rounds they will make their selections in, thanks to several player-for-pick trades they worked earlier in the year. Here’s how their draft picks shape up:

• 2nd round
  • 5th round
  • 6th round (via New York Jets)
  • 6th round
  • 7th round (via Cleveland Browns)
  • 7th round

• 1st round
  • 2nd round
  • 3rd round
  • 4th round
  • 5th round
  • 6th round

The Saints exchanged their 2019 first-round pick for defensive end Marcus Davenport, and their 2019 third-round pick for quarterback Teddy Bridgewater (who came along with a 2019 sixth-round pick). New Orleans swapped their 2019 fourth-round pick and a 2020 seventh-round pick for New York Giants cornerback Eli Apple. They also picked up a 2019 seventh-round pick from the Cleveland Browns for nose tackle Devaroe Lawrence.

There are still almost four months to go until the 2019 draft, so it’s unlikely the Saints go into draft day with just these few selections. Saints coach Sean Payton commented earlier in the season that “we’ll find a way to get a draft pick back. That’s easy to do.”

In the past, that’s meant trading away a key piece of the offense — guys like tight end Jimmy Graham, running back Darren Sproles and wide receivers Kenny Stills and Brandin Cooks. Who’s next?

Last night got time to talk with a Draft Guy, he like I figure Battle will turn in a better time at LSU Pro Day. He also like I, like Greedy in the first round. This is one of the deeper drafts for DL. Along those lines, not many really good QB’s in this years draft. One guy we both like, Brumfield, staying healthy is his biggest problem. Yep, I like this time of the year. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick note, as of now, the Bears, Cowboys, Browns and Saints do not have a first round pick. Moreover, the Raiders have 3 first round picks. The Packers and Giants both have two picks each in the first round. Some are predicting Greedy falling into the second round, I still see him as a first rounder. With three picks in the first, the Raiders, need a good corner. But then again, not many teams, cannot use a good corner. Still see White in the first dozen picks. 

Kansas City Chiefs pick Greedy Williams in latest Kiper mock

ByKIRK LARRABEE Mar 26, 8:40 AM 

Could the Kansas City Chiefs wind up getting "Greedy" in the 2019 NFL Draft?

The "Greedy" in question here refers to LSU cornerback Andraez "Greedy" Williams, who some have rated as the top cornerback prospect in this year's draft class. But ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper doesn't seem to think Williams will be the first cornerback off the board on April 25 -- in fact, Kiper projects Williams to fall all the way to the Chiefs at pick 29 overall.

"Even after signing Bashaud Breeland on a short-term deal, the (Chiefs need) a cornerback," Kiper wrote in his latest mock draft, which was published Tuesday morning. "You'll notice that Williams has dropped a bit; there are questions about his willingness to tackle and about his fluidity in coverage."

Kiper is far from the first person to raise criticism about Williams' tackling. Other analysts who have done the same include Lance Zierlein of NFL.com ("Below-average tackler with inconsistent strike and wrap technique"), Joe Marino of The Draft Network ("Makes business decisions when his team needs him to make a tackler or get off a block") and Kyle Crabbs of The Draft Network ("Poor tackler who misses quite frequently in the open field as a result"). LSU head coach Ed Orgeron seems to agree with the criticism to some extent.

"I do believe he needs to improve on tackling," Orgeron said at LSU's pro day, per The Baton Rouge Advocate, "and I believe it'll be no problem, and I believe he'll be a great pro."

What does Williams say in response to his critics? 

"My response to them is I'm not afraid to tackle," Williams said, per The Advocate. "I just never have really been in a position to make a big tackle. I'm always in man-to-man. They understood where I was coming from. ... Like I told the scout, 'Put me in a Cover 2 and let that tight end run in that zone, and I'll show you what I can do.'"

On the positive side, Williams draws plenty of praise for his length (6-2, 195), speed (4.37 40-yard dash at the NFL Scouting Combine) and coverage ability. He believes the eight interceptions he had in two seasons at LSU proves that he should be considered the top cornerback in the draft. 

"I played two years at LSU with eight picks," Williams said, per The Advocate. "Cornerbacks I'm competing with that's up there with me have got seven... So, stats don't lie. Like I said, I'm the best. They know I'm the best."

It should be interesting to see how NFL teams wind up viewing Williams once the draft arrives. Kiper has Williams as the third cornerback off the board in his latest mock draft behind Deandre Baker of Georgia and Rock Ya-Sin of Temple. If things play out that way on draft night, the cornerback-needy Chiefs could jump at the chance to add Williams to the mix. 

• 3 weeks later...

I know a few are saying Greedy has been dropping, out of the first round, into the second. So much of an agent trying to get his guy drafted ahead of Greedy. 

I still see him in the first round, not many in this class that has his height and wing span. None at 6’1 1/2” and 185#, ran a 4.37 in the 40. He thinks every ball thrown his way, is his. Breaks on the ball, uses his body, has the speed to stay with the WR. If it’s a vertical pass, can flip his hips, turn and head upfield. A 74 1/2 wingspan allows him to have a large cover radius. 

As for Devin White, a guy that could have played RB at LSU. Remember his Sr year in high school, he had 31 TD’s and 81 for his high school career. When you win the Butkus, you are the best. You go to Pro day, weigh 255 lbs and measures a little over 6 ft. But to go out and run a 4.42 in the 40. He also had a 39 1/2” vertical. Did 22 reps with 225#. 

His range and speed on the field, off the charts. He is what every team needs, a leader, a guy that plays the entire game. Doesn’t take plays off. Gets through traffic, gets to the ball carrier. I like as a top 10 pick. Tampa Bay needs a LB, but they also need help on the DL, they are the earliest spot he could be picked. The Bengals pick 11th, they need LB help. Don’t know if he’ll be there. Too many teams need a player like White. 

• 2 weeks later...

Now, I'll take a look at the first 10 teams picking in this years draft, take a look at their needs.

#1-Zona, OT, DT, WR, CB...Known that they are looking at QB with the first pick.

#2-49'ers, CB, DE, S, LB...They keep saying Bosa.

#3- Jets, DE, CB, OT, WR...Josh Allen or Quinnen Williams

#4- Raiders, CB, DE, WR, QB, if either Allen or Williams falls to them, they will take on or the other.

#5- Bucs, OT, DT, CB, LB, Now we are getting into Greedy and White looks. White will be one to keep an eye on, great replacement for Kwon Alexander.

#6- Giants, OT, DE, OG, CB. Remember they lost Eli Apple to the Saints, thin in numbers with CB's.

#7-Jags, QB, TE, DE, LB. White to the Jags? OT could be where they go, OL help is needed.

#8- Lions, DE, CB, OG, LB. Once again, Greedy and White could fill needs.

#9- Bills, WR, OT, DE, CB. WR looks to be where they look first.

#10- Broncos, QB, CB, TE, OT, WR. Greedy is a shot here also. But with Elway, TE, might be where he looks first.

#11- Bengals, LB, CB, OT, OG. I went to 11 for a reason, they need help at both CB and LB. If White were still on the board, he wouldn't get past this point.

Notes:

Some are projecting Greedy to be around at 20. The Steelers pick at that point, I don't know if he would fall that far. If he does, the Steelers make a steal. I just see White going too early, Butkus winner, too many good things. Some are saying the sure thing in this draft, the player with the highest rating to make it into the Pro Bowl his first year.

With these two going in the first round, may have to wait till the 3 or 4th to see another Tiger taken, Foster Moreau. The Pats have a late 3rd, but looking into Compensatory Picks in the 3rd, the Ravens have the last pick in that round. But a few picks into the start of the 4th, the Jets could get a TE that would help with blocking and pass receiving. How good is Foster with blocking? Look at tape of Foster against the #1 pick in the 2017 NFL Draft, Myles Garrett, he wore him out. By the end of that 2016 game, Garrett didn't want anymore of Foster. I said months ago, a Scout at the Sr Bowl told me Foster had made a name, in the receiving phase of the game. He drew Sr Bowl Honors during his time there. At right around 6'5" 255#'s, to run a 4.66/40 was a major plus. Not many his size has his speed. None in the 255# ran that number. So Foster looks to be the third Tiger taken. Teams look at the wearing of the #18 at LSU, knowing this guy won't be a problem on or off the field.

The next Tiger could be Cole Tracy, yep, our adopted Kicker. Most teams and scouts have him as the best kicker coming out this year.

From there you have Brumfield, should get into camp, a chance to get drafted, injuries have been one thing with him, so he needs to show hes healthy and stay healthy.

Ed Alexander is another, healthy means so much, but this is a deep draft with DL, he is getting caught up in numbers. But like I always say, it only takes one team to like you. His knee injury will have teams looking. But if he gets a good on that, he has a shot. He has been schooled with O and Pete Jenkins, that pulls weight in the NFL. When healthy, Ed can handle the position in the middle. Can play in a 3-4 or a 4-3.

John Battle, his speed is what some will look at, 4.67/40. I know this, there were a number of players that couldn't take his position away from him. The Tigers were better when he was on the field. He will get into a camp, do well on Special Teams, from there, we'll see.

Nick Brossette, waited his turn for the position. His Sr. year, over 1,000 yards, on 240 carries, a 4.3 ypc and 14 TD's. The East West Bowl game, did well with practice and game. Nick does a number of things well, blocking, catching out the backfield, nick RB size, will lower his shoulder, keeps his legs moving, will push the middle to get the extra yards. Had a TD catch in the East West Game. He too will get into a camp, will start with Special Teams. 

A few more Sr's leaving the Tigers Terrance Alexander (CB), Ed Paris (DB, has played both CB and Safety), David Ducre (TE, FB, HB), and Jacory Washington (TE). Jacory has played mostly Special Teams, started the Moo U game, but also played in every game this season.

BEST OF LUCK TO ALL THE TIGERS

Outside the Tigers with a few notes:

Keep an eye on a few positions. TE, two of the top TE's this year were playing at Iowa. Noah Fant and T J Hockenson, both will go in the top two rounds, both could sneak in the first. Another team and position, WR. Ole Piss has three WR coming out this year. Two, DK Metcalf and AJ Brown look to be early picks, those two could also make it into the first round. Another WR out of Ole Piss, Demarkus Lodge, when he came out of Cedar Hill, Tx., LSU tried to get him, we did get his QB, Justin McMillan. I thought he would be a better college player. Thats a bunch of talent at WR for Ole Piss to lose, they also lost a number of players on both sides of the ball. Both of the Mississippi schools lose some talent this year, lets see how the upcoming season hits them.

White and Williams Look to be First-Round Draft Picks

April 24, 2019, 11:58 AM (CT)Updated: April 24, 2019, 12:45 PM (CT)
article_facebook.pngarticle_twitter.pngSend Mail

Michael Bonnette (@LSUBonnette)
Michael Bonnette (@LSUBonnette)
Assoc. Athletic Director/Communications

BATON ROUGE – Linebacker Devin White and cornerback Greedy Williams will look to add to LSU’s list of first round draft picks when the 2019 NFL Draft gets underway on Thursday evening in Nashville.

Coverage of the first round of the NFL Draft begins at 7 p.m. CT on Thursday. The first round will be televised on ABC, ESPN, and the NFL Network.

Rounds two of three of the draft will take place on Friday starting at 6 p.m. with the final four rounds of the draft being held on Saturday beginning at 11 a.m. ABC, ESPN and the NFL Network will provide coverage on Friday and Saturday.

LSU enters the 2019 NFL Draft with 41 all-time draft picks with running back Leonard Fournette, safety Jamal Adams and cornerback Tre'Davious White being the school’s most recent first round selections in 2017.

On Thursday night, White and Williams will be on hand in Nashville as two of the 23 players confirmed to be on location for the first round. LSU head coach Ed Orgeron will also be in attendance with White and Williams.

White, LSU’s first winner of the Butkus Award in 2018, is expected to be one of the first players off the board as he’s projected to go as high as No. 5. White, who capped his career as a two-time All-America and All-Southeastern Conference selection, recorded 286 tackles, 29 tackles for loss and 8.5 sacks during his three years with the Tigers.

White earned SEC Defensive Player of the Week honors six times during his career and was twice named a permanent team captain as well as being a two-time recipient of the Charles McClendon Award which goes annually to LSU’s most valuable player.

Williams, a two-year starter at cornerback for the Tigers, is expected to become the sixth LSU defensive back to be selected in the first round since the 2011 draft when Patrick Peterson was taken fifth overall.

Williams, a finalist for the Thorpe Award in 2018, earned first team All-America honors in 2018 after being selected as a third team All-America as a redshirt freshman in 2017. Williams had six interceptions in 2017 to lead the SEC and then followed that with two interceptions and 11 pass breakups in 2018.

He finished his two-year career with the Tigers with 71 tackles, 20 pass breakups and eight interceptions.

Other NFL Draft hopefuls for LSU over the three-day span include: tight end Foster Moreau, running back Nick Brossette, safety John Battle, placekicker Cole Tracy, offensive lineman Garrett Brumfield and defensive lineman Ed Alexander.

NFL mock draft: Final first-round projection for 2019 includes a few twists

MICHAEL MIDDLEHURST-SCHWARTZ | USA TODAY | 2 hours ago

icon-sms_24.svg icon-facebook_24.svg icon-twitter_24.svg icon-mail_24.svg

e4279f17-18e4-4c97-b364-842a453fbf2a-USATSI_12280187.jpg
SportsPulse: Trysta Krick sat down with the NFL Draft's top linebacker, Devin White, to talk about his speed and LSU teammates he'd love to play with.
USA TODAY SPORTS

It won't be long until the 2019 NFL draftflips from projection to reflection.

Uncertainty still abounds ahead of the start of the first round tonight in Nashville. But with time running out, here's USA TODAY Sports' final mock draft and first-round projection:

1. Cardinals — Kyler Murray, QB, Oklahoma: What's left to say after nearly four months of speculation? New coach Kliff Kingsbury maintained Tuesday that the team hadn't arrived at a decision with the pick, but spurning Murray for a defensive lineman would represent one of the biggest draft stunners in recent history. Even if Josh Rosen deserves better than the chances he was afforded as a rookie, Kingsbury needs to bring some heat to the desert with his offense, and Murray seems like the right fit to do it.

2. 49ers — Nick Bosa, DE, Ohio State: There shouldn't be much mystery here. A balanced counterpart to edge rusher Dee Ford, Bosa presents the best value for a defense that could use help at seemingly every level.

3. Jets — Quinnen Williams, DT, Alabama: Absent a quarterback-desperate team getting trigger-happy to trade up and grab a passer, Mike Maccagnan might be stuck in this spot. Hard to feel too bad for him, though, when there's a premier talent waiting in Williams, a stout yet slippery force on the interior who can disrupt plays in the backfield and hold up at the point of attack.

4. Raiders — Josh Allen, DE/OLB, Kentucky: Might this be the point where the draft gets thrown for a loop? Jon Gruden and Mike Mayock should be open-minded about the possibilities in front of them, but Allen checks a lot of boxes - namely as someone who will jolt a pass rush that finished with a league-worst 13 sacks after last year's Khalil Mack trade. 

5. Buccaneers — Devin White, LB, LSU: Six of the past seven drafts have featured at least one trade involving a pick in the top five, which has yet to materialize this year. Keep an eye on this spot for a possible deal should some team want to jump the Giants for a quarterback. If Tampa Bay stands pat, White stands out as a potentially stabilizing presence for a maligned defense.

6. Giants — Daniel Jones, QB, Duke: Imagine what the reaction to this would be if the draft were still being held in New York. Much as Dave Gettleman might want to fortify his front seven at this spot, waiting to see which quarterback falls to him at 17 seems excessively risky if he knows which passer he wants. Jones faces several hurdles to becoming an accomplished downfield thrower, but the Giants can bring him while Eli Manning holds down the starting role for another year.

7. Jaguars — T.J. Hockenson, TE, Iowa: While Tom Coughlin and Co. search for offensive cornerstones for new quarterback Nick Foles, the Mackey Award winner stands out as a double dip for both the passing game as a trusted target and the ground attack as a rugged blocker.

8. Lions — Jonah Williams, OT/G, Alabama: Maybe the first big surprise of the top 10? Having signaled his intention to move back, Bob Quinn doesn't seem too keen on drafting in this spot and could call on the reliable Williams to be his third first-round offensive lineman in four years.

9. Bills — Ed Oliver, DT, Houston: A natural at creating chaos in the passing game, Oliver should find fans in Brandon Beane and Sean McDermott, who lack a disruptive presence in the middle.

10. Broncos — Devin Bush, LB, Michigan: Exhibiting restraint in drafting a quarterback could prove challenging for John Elway even after the arrival of Joe Flacco, but Bush would be a fitting piece for Vic Fangio's scheme and another embodiment of the win-now mentality.

11. Bengals — Dwayne Haskins, QB, Bengals: No one would fault new coach Zac Taylor for letting his gaze wander from Andy Dalton. If he grows more comfortable in the face of pressure and shifting looks from the defense, Haskins has considerable upside as a locked-in thrower who can threaten defenses at every level of the field.

12. Packers — Noah Fant, TE, Iowa: New coach Matt LaFleur said at the NFL scouting combine that tight end is "an extremely important position" because of certain players' ability to create mismatches against safeties and linebackers ... which sounds exactly like the kind of explanation he would give after selecting Fant.

13. Dolphins — Jawaan Taylor, OT, Florida: Miami doesn't look in prime condition to integrate a rookie quarterback given the state of its offensive line. Chris Grier and Brian Flores can address that deficiency here and lay the groundwork for picking a passer in 2020.

14. Falcons — Christian Wilkins, DT, Clemson: Pairing franchise-tagged Grady Jarrett with the slippery Wilkins would give Atlanta a formidable interior rush capable of igniting the pressure that Dan Quinn craves.

15. Redskins — Drew Lock, QB, Missouri: Turning to a strong-armed but unsteady passer in the aftermath of Alex Smith's leg injury would be quite the sea change for Washington's offense, and perhaps a somewhat welcome one given the dearth of big plays from the passing attack last season.

16. Panthers — Andre Dillard, OT, Washington State: Cam Newton is long overdue for a long-term investment in a blindside protector, and Dillard is the most experienced and fleet-footed option in this class.

17. Giants (from Browns) — Rashan Gary, DE, Michigan: A homecoming for the New Jersey product might be just the thing to help the former No. 1 overall recruit tap into his considerable potential.

18. Vikings — Cody Ford, OT/G, Oklahoma: Shifting parts along the offensive line likely could be end up troublesome, so the simplest path for an upgrade up front might be sliding Ford in at guard to push around anyone trying to level Kirk Cousins or Dalvin Cook.

19. Titans — Jeffery Simmons, DT, Mississippi State: Even if he has to sit as a rookie while recovering from a torn anterior cruciate ligament, Simmons is a top-10 talent who would be worth the wait.

20. Steelers — Byron Murphy, CB, Washington: General manager Kevin Colbert has detailed his change of heart on cornerbacks and growing interest in players who can create turnovers, and Murphy is as good as anyone at this class on getting a break on the ball.

21. Seahawks — Brian Burns, DE, Florida State: After trading Frank Clark to the Chiefs, Seattle can turn to the bendy Burns as its new pass-rushing maven off the edge.

22. Ravens — Marquise Brown, WR, Oklahoma: With no second-round pick, Baltimore can't afford to pass up a dynamic deep threat like Brown as it looks to surround Lamar Jackson with more playmakers in Year 2.

23. Texans — Garrett Bradbury, C, North Carolina State: If Houston is to unlock its offense's full potential, it has to find a smooth-moving offensive lineman like Bradbury to safeguard Deshaun Watson and open holes in the running game.

24. Raiders (from Bears) — Josh Jacobs, RB, Alabama: Bye bye, Beast Mode. With Marshawn Lynch retiring once again, per multiple reports, Oakland gets a bell-cow back who can make a significant mark in the passing game.

25. Eagles — Clelin Ferrell, DE, Clemson: Philadelphia's rotation of defensive ends could stand to get younger and find a mainstay on the edge opposite Derek Barnett.

26. Colts — Johnathan Abram, S, Mississippi State: His punishing hits against receivers and running backs alike could set the tone for a defense stocking up on young talent after Darius Leonard's stellar debut campaign.

27. Raiders (from Cowboys) — Chris Lindstrom, G, Boston College: With the last of his three first-round picks, Mayock gives a nod to his alma mater - and affords Derek Carr additional relief as the offense looks to incorporate Antonio Brown.

28. Chargers — Jerry Tillery, DT, Notre Dame: Scraping by with Brandon Mebane and spare parts at defensive tackle seems foolhardy, so picking up Tillery to help push the pocket would be a shrewd move.

29. Seahawks (from Chiefs) — D.K. Metcalf, WR, Ole Piss: Pete Carroll's affinity for supersized wide receivers could push him toward Metcalf, a deep-ball dynamo whose route running will require polishing. 

30. Packers (from Saints) - Dalton Risner, OT/G, Kansas State: A throwback blocker for a new-school regime, Risner can put his savvy to work either as Bryan Bulaga's successor at right tackle or as a guard.

31. Rams — Erik McCoy, C, Texas A&M: Solidifying the interior with a versatile pivot like McCoy would go a long way toward ensuring Jared Goff stays on track and Todd Gurley gets back on it. 

32. Patriots — A.J. Brown, WR, Ole Piss: With six picks in the first 101 selections, Bill Belichick won't be cowed into taking a pass catcher earlier than he's prepared to. But finding at least one target in the early going should be on his to-do list, and the big-bodied Brown would be a worthy selection as the first receiver to be selected by New England in the first round during Belichick's reign.

The Raiders with the 4th pick, looking at another DE/OLB, after last year picking Arden Key? Giving up on Key this early? Keys problems are on and off the field. Lots of talent, hope he gets it together this year. The Raiders could throw a wrench in the works, if they pick White. Just don’t see Greedy being there in the second round. Some are saying he has a problem tackling. Go back and watch Deion Sanders tackling. The best two stories in the history of the NFL Draft, involved Sanders. Fact or Fiction? 

Deion Sanders is one of the greatest athletes we’ve ever seen. You know this already. He became one of the NFL’s few modern two-way players, once hit an MLB home run and scored an NFL touchdown in the same week, and once attempted to play in games in both sports in the same day, and all that stuff.

His legend began well before he was an NFL draft prospect, but everything he did at Florida State or in the pros remains verifiable. It’s the stuff at the mysterious, pre-TV combine that’s really taken on a life of its own and sprouted some quality nonsense, and Sanders (my favorite athlete ever) doesn’t seem to mind all that much.

1. He says he told the Giants, who were picking 10th, that interviewing him would be a waste of everyone’s time.

“It happened to be the Giants’ room. They set me down and gave me a thick book. This thing was thicker than a phone book,” he said on NFL Network during the last day of 2017’s combine. “I said, ‘What’s this?’ They said, ‘This is our test that we give all the players.’ I said, ‘Excuse me, what pick do you have in the draft?’ They said, ‘10th.’ I said, ‘I’ll be gone before then. I’ll see y’all later.’ That’s a true story.”

If that happened, then Sanders was right. He went No. 5, behind three other future Hall of Famers.

2. Leaving immediately after the 40-yard dash? He actually did that part.

I’ve linked to this about 17 times this week, but that’s fine. From Sports Illustrated:

One of the greatest early combine stories came courtesy of Florida State’s Deion Sanders in 1989. There was talk pre-combine that Sanders wouldn’t run the 40 at all; he later said he would take his medicals, run his 40 and go home.

“Deion gets up to the line and runs his first 40 and everyone has him at 4.3. We figured he was done. He gets up and runs another one, and he runs even faster,” said Gettleman, then a scout for the Bills. “Some people had him at 4.25 [officially a 4.27]. And the funniest damn thing about it was he finishes the 40, continues to run, waves to everybody, goes right through the tunnel and we don’t see him again. We all got up and gave him a standing ovation because so many of those guys wouldn’t run.”

These days, it usually gets embellished by most re-tellers to include Deion not just running off the field, but running into a waiting limo that took him straight to the airport.

Nike Signs Kyler Murray, Devin White & Other Top NFL Draft Prospects

Apr 24, 2019 11:47

Nike announces 2019 NFL rookie class.

Nike has today announced their 2019 NFL rookie draft class, which included projected #1 overall pick Kyler Murray, as well as a plethora of other top prospects including LSU linebacker Devin White, Alabama OL Jonah Williams, Missouri QB Drew Lock and Ohio State QB Dwayne Haskins, who will be repping for Jordan Brand.

The first-round of the 2019 NFL Draft, taking place in Nashville, Tennessee, is scheduled to get underway on Thursday, April 25 at 8:00pm ET. 

Check out the list of Nike's 2019 rookie class below:

Devin White, LB, LSU garnered first-team All-SEC pick and All-American accolades as a junior. He also won the Butkus Award as the top linebacker in the country.

NFL Draft 2019: Devin White of LSU goes 5th overall to Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Updated Apr 25, 10:25 PMPosted Apr 25, 7:58 PM

Gallery: NFL Draft 2019: LSU linebacker Devin White

By Christopher Dabe, NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune

NASHVILLE, Tenn. — Devin White was named the best linebacker in the country when he won the Dick Butkus Award in December. The NFL now agrees, as the former LSU star was the first inside linebacker chosen at the NFL Draft on Thursday (April 25).

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers selected White No. 5 overall, making him just the third inside linebacker to be picked in the top 10 since 2012.

Archived