Gameday Tigers

2019 NFL Draft-Tiger Players

LSUDad

Former LSU tight end Foster Moreau drafted by Oakland Raiders in fourth round of NFL draft

lsuproday1238.032319 bf.jpg

LSU tight end Foster Moreau (18) catches the ball while participating in the Individual Position Workouts event during LSU football's 2019 Pro Day Friday March 22, 2019, in Baton Rouge, La.

• ADVOCATE STAFF PHOTO BY BILL FEIG

lsuricefootball1572.111818 bf (copy)

LSU tight end Foster Moreau scores after the catch as LSU wide receiver Derrick Dillon signals touchdown during LSU's football game against Rice on Nov. 17.

• ADVOCATE STAFF PHOTO BY BILL FEIG

Foster Moreau's offensive role was limited at LSU, but he'll have the chance to change that script in Oakland. 

The New Orleans native and Jesuit High standout was selected No. 137 overall by the Oakland Raiders in the fourth round. Moreau was a team leader for the Tigers, chosen for the honor of wearing the prized No. 18 jersey in his senior season. 

Moreau was the ninth tight end drafted, following West Virginia's Trevon Wesco, who was drafted No. 121 overall by the New York Jets, and the 6-foot-4, 253 pounder is the first tight end to be selected out of LSU since Keith Zinger was selected by the Carolina Panthers in the seventh round of the 2008 draft.

Moreau was used heavily as a blocker for the Tigers, catching just 50 passes in his career for 629 yards and six touchdowns, but his performance in pre-draft workouts caught the eyes of many.

Measuring in at 6-foot-4, 253 pounds, Moreau blazed to a 4.66-second time in the 40-yard dash that placed him fifth among tight ends at the NFL Scouting Combine. His 36.5-inch vertical leap tied for third, 22 bench press reps tied for second, and his time of 4.11 seconds in the 20-yard shuttle was the fastest of anyone at his position. 

"They didn't expect me to do that," Moreau said. "That was not expected because I haven't shown that on my game tape, which is apparent. But it's fun to get out there, raise questions. Not prove people wrong, but just kind of take people aback, be a pleasant surprise."

Coaches and scouts even shared their surprise with LSU coach Ed Orgeron because of the dearth of game tape showing such a skillset. He had just 22 catches in the 2018 season. But Moreau said it "was no one's fault" he wasn't used more, but that injuries to other players factored into the need for his blocking prowess.

"Just winning games was our prerogative here, and that's what we were able to do," Moreau said at the time. "And we did it a lot. So, I wouldn't change my time, my position, my role here for anything from anyone. Stats are stats, but at the end of the day, wins are wins, and I'll take a win over 200 yards and three touchdowns any day."

Moreau's leadership also made waves at this year's Senior Bowl, as he was among five offensive players named "Practice Players of the Week" ahead of the annual game. His practice performances included multiple diving catches and he was clocked as one of the fastest players among the group.

After LSU's Fiesta Bowl victory over Central Florida, Moreau prepared for the Senior Bowl at TEST Football Academy, a training facility in Martinsville, New Jersey, where he worked on the skills that helped him have an impressive combine and pro day.

“Foster is a very talented tight end out of LSU that plays with a chip on his shoulder,” said Geir Gudmundsen, the director of football operations at TEST. “Watch his tape and you would see that he does everything at a very high level. In my opinion, he has the drive and athletic ability to be a special player in the NFL.”

Moreau was the 10th-rated tight end in the draft according to Ric Serritella, creator of NFL Draft Bible and analyst for NFL Draft Scout.

Serritella, who is a consultant for TEST, wrote that Moreau "played in an offense that doesn't utilize its tight end heavily, so (he) doesn't own gaudy stats," and that Moreau had a tendency "to use his chest to bring the ball in" and "needs to do a better job of bringing the ball in with his hands because that can be the difference between a pick-six and a completion at the next level."

"He is more than capable in the receiving game and shows excellent balance," Serritella said. "Extremely versatile, having lined up at H-back and fullback. His work ethic and football intelligence is the cream of the crop, plus toughness and grit, which is as good as it gets."

1 hour ago, dachsie said:

We only had 3 players drafted.  That is unusual

Nope, 4 drafts ago, we had only 4 drafted. A couple years ago, UTx didn’t have one player drafted. Next years draft, we could set a record in players taken. In 2013 and 2014, 9 players were taken in those two years, back to back. We did get to keep a few Jrs. Ed Alexander went out early, undrafted. Two of the three drafted this year, came out early. 

In 2005 we had only 3 drafted that year, we won a NC in 2003 and 2007. So in the middle of that, we only had 3 taken. 

On 4/27/2019 at 8:41 PM, dachsie said:

We only had 3 players drafted.  That is unusual

dachs, one of the things we have WANTED our coaches to do, and this goes back to Miles, is re-recruit our juniors so they stay for a Sr. season, when they will be at their best.  Ed Alexander declared for the draft off our d-line, did not get drafted.  Hope he makes it, but he probably should have come back.

But LSU has more juniors than usual slated to return on the defensive side of the ball, including linebacker Michael Divinity, defensive ends Rashard Lawrence and Breiden Fehoko and cornerback Kristian Fulton.

All of those guys could have declared, but they came back!  That is great, for 2019.  That's why I say, if we're gonna make a run, this is the year.  5th year Sr. QB who is tough, smart, and talented.  When was the last time we could say that?  Well, it was Mett.  We return a lot of starters on offense and defense, and press reports indicate that whoever starts at running back, or our "committee"  will be better than last year.

I am GLAD we only had 3 players drafted.  We need to realize we had a "young" ballclub last year.  2019, no excuses.

Now frankly, I have to put InbredGumps down as a loss.  As well as we have done, they have done better, in recruiting.  I think I read that in this years signees, InbredGumps first 24 signees were all in the ESPN top 300, never has been done before.  Our recruiting has been very good, and theirs has been a bit better.  Then it gets down to what the coaches do with them, and what character the kids bring to the party, and what they can do for themselves, developing physically and mentally getting the game down.

13 hours ago, houtiger said:

dachs, one of the things we have WANTED our coaches to do, and this goes back to Miles, is re-recruit our juniors so they stay for a Sr. season, when they will be at their best.  Ed Alexander declared for the draft off our d-line, did not get drafted.  Hope he makes it, but he probably should have come back.

But LSU has more juniors than usual slated to return on the defensive side of the ball, including linebacker Michael Divinity, defensive ends Rashard Lawrence and Breiden Fehoko and cornerback Kristian Fulton.

All of those guys could have declared, but they came back!  That is great, for 2019.  That's why I say, if we're gonna make a run, this is the year.  5th year Sr. QB who is tough, smart, and talented.  When was the last time we could say that?  Well, it was Mett.  We return a lot of starters on offense and defense, and press reports indicate that whoever starts at running back, or our "committee"  will be better than last year.

I am GLAD we only had 3 players drafted.  We need to realize we had a "young" ballclub last year.  2019, no excuses.

Now frankly, I have to put InbredGumps down as a loss.  As well as we have done, they have done better, in recruiting.  I think I read that in this years signees, InbredGumps first 24 signees were all in the ESPN top 300, never has been done before.  Our recruiting has been very good, and theirs has been a bit better.  Then it gets down to what the coaches do with them, and what character the kids bring to the party, and what they can do for themselves, developing physically and mentally getting the game down.

No I get that, but was surprised Cole Tracy wasn't drafted.  There were several seniors that didn't get drafted

21 minutes ago, dachsie said:

No I get that, but was surprised Cole Tracy wasn't drafted.  There were several seniors that didn't get drafted

Teams are funny, some like a player, others, won’t draft them. Like I always say, it only takes one team to like you. Remember this, a couple things. If a player has a really good agent, he will guide him in the right direction, this helps in the drafting process. Second, if not drafted, his agent will lock him on to a team, that his position as a need, upping his chances of making that team. 

On 5/3/2019 at 6:51 AM, dachsie said:

Cole didn’t kickoff, some look at that, with a 53 man roster, teams have limits. 

Brumfield missed time with injuries. 

Battle, ran a slow 40, still a good player, a shot to make a team. LSU was better when he was in the lineup. 

Alexander, injuries were on him also. Adding a deep draft at the position, moved him down. 

Brossette, not great break-a-way speed. Only started one season at LSU. Had to wait his turn. To make a team, Special Teams is in his future. 

With three drafted, only 1 was a Sr, that will tell you something. 

LSU has had 9 players drafted twice in a draft year. The 2020 draft will break that record. We have 15 players that will be Sr’s this season, a few Jrs will leave early. 

On 5/3/2019 at 6:51 AM, dachsie said:

Tracy doesn’t have the leg strength to get drafted. 

53-54yds is the extreme limit of his range. 

he bounced one in off the crossbar INDOORS from that range. 

NFL kickers hit the net behind the posts from 55+. 

Alexander was in a bad spot. 

His knees are shot, so he figured might as well go now before they're completely gone, try to get a contract. 

But this was the deepest DL draft in,  probably, history. 

He had no chance. 

Tracy is a great college kicker, but limited leg strength. Like Nootch said. But I would think following Chicago's debacle last year, they would take a flier on a Cole Tracy.  Cole is money inside 50 yds, but can't go much past that.  

He has an outside chance as a UDFA.

Archived