Gameday Tigers

LSU Roster turnover (2022 - 2023)

Nutriaitch

9 hours ago, Hatchertiger said:

Not that anybody expected him to declare but you never know.  The one thing our offense lacked this year was consistently big plays from our RBs.  Emery is running out of time to get it all together.

Emery has been my crush for a few years and he has never broken through.  When the o-line opens an obvious hole, John can scoot through it and he is gone to the house, a thing of beauty.  But as far as consistency, it's not there.  Williams can find a little space to get through, John will run into a pile and get stuck.  I still hope he gets it together.  We need a star at RB.  Maybe a freshman?

Three Immediate Impact Early Enrollees

Tigers will have 13 early-enrollees this spring. Who can make an immediate impact?

LSU will bring in a monstrous 2023 class this offseason, and of the 25 signees, 13 of them have already arrived on campus. Early-enrollees have the chance to take part in the 15 spring practices across March and April as they get acclimated to college life.

But who has the chance to make an impact during their freshman campaign? The Tigers have a few 5-stars in their back pocket and players filling positions of need. We saw Head Coach Brian Kelly rely on youngsters in 2022, but could it be the same in 2023?

Here we took a look into three immediate impact freshmen:

Dashawn Womack - EDGE

Arguably the most important signee in LSU’s 2023 class, Womack has the chance to step in soon to help Jamar Cain’s defensive line. With both Ali Gaye and BJ Ojulari entering the 2023 NFL Draft, the Tigers have a few spots to fill on the outside. Insert Womack.

LSU has made a few moves this offseason via the transfer portal to bring in veterans with Power Five experience, but Womack has all the intangibles to earn significant snaps this upcoming season if all goes accordingly during spring camp. 

The 6-foot-4, 240-pound menace has flown up the recruiting rankings as his technique catches up to his physical tools. Putting it all together in his senior campaign, he was flat out dominant. With sheer size and tenacity paired with development in how he uses his twitchy hands, look for Womack to be that dude quickly for LSU.

Javien Toviano - Defensive Back

This is where it gets interesting. Toviano signed with LSU where many anticipated him to be a cornerback from the jump for this unit, but after the Tigers hit the transfer portal with force, signing four cornerbacks, it provides flexibility for Toviano.

A player who can thrive at nickel and safety as well as corner, we could see Toviano impact this LSU defense in a myriad of ways in year one. As gifted as they come both on and off the field, the early-enrollee could be in position to play in 2023.

At 6-foot, 180 pounds, Toviano continues to build up his body to compete at the next level, and after a four year stretch where he dominated the best of the best in Texas, look for his competitive nature to come out this spring and turn a few heads.

Ka’Morreum Pimpton - Tight End

Pimpton was a late addition to the 2023 class. Flipping from Vanderbilt to LSU during the Early Signing Period, the Tigers secured one of the nation’s top tight ends. As gifted as they come at a position of need for LSU, look for the Tigers to utilize his talents early.

Certainly LSU already has Mason Taylor as their tight end of the future, but Pimpton has the chance to make an impact rather quickly. One of the best receiving tight ends in the country, a one-two punch of Taylor and Pimpton looks to be lethal long term.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, LSUDad said:

Former Oregon State LB Omar Speights Signs With LSU

A little on him:

Former Oregon State linebacker Omar Speights has signed with LSU and will be with the Tigers this spring, a source confirmed. WAFB's Jacques Doucet had it first. 

Speights, a First-Team All-PAC-12 selection, is a Tiger. After entering the portal a week ago, Speights received significant interest from LSU, along with a number of other top programs including Alabama, before ultimately committing to Brian Kelly and the Tigers.

Speights, who has one year of college eligibility remaining, will enroll at LSU and participate in spring ball as a graduate transfer.

It was a dominant final season with the Beavers in 2022. Speights ended the year with 83 tackles and eight tackles for loss with Oregon State. In four seasons up north, he finished his career with 308 total tackles.

https://www.si.com/college/lsu/football/breaking-former-oregon-state-lb-omar-speights-signs-with-lsu

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/30/2023 at 7:08 PM, LSUDad said:

Every time I've seen his name I think of Xavier Carter and the time he caught a kickoff in endzone and another player was motioning to him (Joseph Addai?) to stay in the endzone and he ended up downing the ball on the one yard line.  He also got into some trouble if memory serves me correctly.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

NEWS: LSU Adds Versatile LB Seth Scott To 2023 Class, Accepts PWO Opportunity

The Texas native fills a position of need for the Tigers, ready to live out his dream of playing for LSU.

BY ZACK NAGY

In this story:

LSU TIGERS

LSU added another key piece to their 2023 recruiting class on Tuesday after Texas native Seth Scott announced his commitment to Brian Kelly and the Tigers.

Scott will accept a preferred walk-on opportunity in Baton Rouge. Kelly has detailed the importance of building a successful program with walk-ons who can make an impact in the SEC and bringing in a player of Scott’s caliber is a huge step in the right direction. 

The 5-foot-11, 200-pounder will pass on offers from schools across the country to take a walk-on opportunity with the Tigers. Scott will come to LSU as an athlete, able to play both outside linebacker and middle linebacker, filling a position of need for the Tigers ahead of the 2023 season.

“Everywhere I’ve been, the walk-on program has been instrumental to our success,” Kelly said last spring. “So, when we talk about instrumental, it’s not only in terms of the ability to add depth, but scholarships, too. I believe that walk-ons should have a chance to earn a scholarship.”

Scott bypassing scholarship offers to walk-on at LSU shows the culture this program is building and will continue to build under Kelly. After competing in the SEC Championship Game in Kelly’s first season, the positive trajectory is evident as this offseason continues to become a success.

For Scott, he couldn’t be more excited to live his dream to play for LSU. 

“I feel like I can elevate [this program] by bringing in a hardworking mentality and a winning attitude as we try and reclaim our spots as champions," Scott said. "I’ve been dreaming about playing at LSU since I was 5 years old so I’m beyond excited to see that dream come true.”

“I think within a calendar year we could be looking to turn over 70 scholarships,” Kelly said. “I certainly don’t think it’s going to be in the mid to high 30s [as the norm]. I think that’s outside the lines. I do believe the high 20s is going to be the norm. I remember years where it was 18, I think those days are over.”

“You don’t want to jump every year into the transfer portal when it comes to the cornerback position. We did this year because there was such a need to put together a representative group. I think there’s gonna be a heavy influence on freshmen and that’s the way we want to build,” Kelly said. “Does that mean we won’t look at transfers? No, it doesn’t mean we’ll close the door on that, but last year they were one year and done. We’re not looking in that respect. Corners would have to have more than one season of competition left if we go that route.”

• Like 2