Gameday Tigers

Coaching decisions by Lane Kiffin

houtiger

Lane has made a habit of going for it (the first down) on fourth down, more often than any other coach.  He says that comes from "the analytics", the study of how many times a fourth down try is successful, from how many yards to go.  His failure to consider other factors than the analytics when he goes for it, seem like simply bad coaching decisions to me.  Now, OM is hard up to get a really good coach to go there, but I was surprised they gave Lane a big raise to keep him there.

So, what's wrong with "going for it" on fourth down.

I have seen Lane ignore field position and go for it at mid field or even his own 40 yard line.  I have seen them fail to pick it up, give the opposition a short field, the opposition scores.  I'm glad that guy is not our coach.

It also seems he does not consider the team he is playing and the quality of their defense.  Going for it against Southern Miss is not the same as going for it against Gumps.

I'm glad he is not our coach.

Thoughts?

13 hours ago, houtiger said:

Lane has made a habit of going for it (the first down) on fourth down, more often than any other coach.  He says that comes from "the analytics", the study of how many times a fourth down try is successful, from how many yards to go.  His failure to consider other factors than the analytics when he goes for it, seem like simply bad coaching decisions to me.  Now, OM is hard up to get a really good coach to go there, but I was surprised they gave Lane a big raise to keep him there.

I honestly think that has more to do with who was (allegedly) after him.
Losing a coach to a division rival would be a terrible look, and could possibly set them back even farther.

So, what's wrong with "going for it" on fourth down.

I have seen Lane ignore field position and go for it at mid field or even his own 40 yard line.  I have seen them fail to pick it up, give the opposition a short field, the opposition scores.  I'm glad that guy is not our coach.

It also seems he does not consider the team he is playing and the quality of their defense.  Going for it against Southern Miss is not the same as going for it against Gumps.

the problem with analytics is that they do not take the current game itself into account.
not just the opponent, but also the flow of the game at that point in time.

I'm glad he is not our coach.

Thoughts?

I said it when we had an opening and will say it again.
I want no part of him as a head coach.

• Like 2

On 1/12/2023 at 9:03 PM, Fishhead said:

Our coach made some "interesting" calls this season in the name of analytics. 

He went for 2 (and didn't get it) at a really odd time I think in the SECCG or the TAMU game. Made no sense whatsoever

I remember scratching my head at least once that I remember.  But BK did so many things well that I had forgotten that.  I still find it an enjoyable year.  I feel like we were underdogs like in 2021, and we outperformed expectations, and I enjoyed that.

• Like 1