Gameday Tigers

Steak

Fishhead

I've been buying whole strip loins and cutting my own steaks... cheaper that way if you're OK paying $170 or so (prime) per loin. 

Did a whole filet last time, but frankly I prefer strip or ribeye.

Have y'all ever done this? 

I got 16 1" thick steaks and about a gallon zip loc bag of stew meat outta this loin...

20230228_200851.jpg

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Fishhead said:

frankly I prefer strip or ribeye.

I go back and forth between strip and ribeye. Usually get my meet now at Costco.  The quality is very good and the price is very reasonable but the portions are rather large.  I shrink wrap and freeze what I can't eat at the time.

• 4 weeks later...

I have bought the loin and cut it up before. I'm a ribeye guy all day. Whenever we do steaks that the house the boss and the kid both want fillets and I get a ribeye. Silly geese, they don't know where the flavor is at!

A somewhat obscure trick, I guess its a trick or little known fact but if you get a T-Bone, that little piece behind one side of the T is actually a fillet. Its small but it is tender and tasty!

• Like 2

Yeah it's interesting when you go from the main steak to that little filet piece. Mostly texture difference, the filet melts in your mouth. I find filet lacks flavor, but it's so tender. I did this same thing with filet last year. 

Also, I would've gotten a rib loin but they only had select.  Nah man, I'm civilized

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I have a life long friend, who was like a son to my father, that rents the grazing land we kept in mother's trust. Last year, I got a half a steer from him and put in the freezer. My dad was the one who taught him how to feed out a steer, so I knew exactly what I was getting. Down to where it was raised. 

I am absolutely spoiled with the quality of steaks I am getting again. I haven't had any like this since daddy sold off his herd.

• Like 2