Gameday Tigers

LSU @ Texas A&M ( Game 1 - March 17, 2023)

Nutriaitch

Conference play kicks off tonight against the Gay Milkmen in College Station.
First pitch scheduled for 6pm tonight at Blue Balls park.

Radio / TV:
98.1 FM has the game if you're local to Baton Rouge, or as always listen for free in the LSUSports app.
We on real TV tonight! SEC network will be broadcasting (also available on the ESPN app)

Weather:
56° under mostly clear skies. Winds coming in from left field at 13 mph with gust howling in at 30 mph. 
no significant rain threats in the forecast.

Pitchers:
LSU – Jr. RH Paul Skenes (4-0, 0.75 ERA, 24.0 IP, 4 BB, 48 SO)
TAMU – Jr. RH Nathan Dettmer (1-1, 2.37 ERA, 19.0 IP, 7 BB, 24 SO)

• Like 1

LSU starting pitcher Paul Skenes lived up to his billing as a potential top-five selection in July’s 2023 MLB Draft.

“Every bit as advertised,” A&M head coach Jim Schlossnagle said of Skenes. “Everything I saw on video remained to be true. I thought we fought with him as best we could, but I’ve been doing this for 33 years. (Stephen) Strasburg, Mark Pryor, Paul Skenes. Those are the best I’ve ever seen.”

With a fastball sitting around 98-100 mph combined with a hard slider and a change of pace, Skenes struck out 11 Aggies, walked none and allowed no runs on just four hits in 6.1 innings of work.

“Thankfully, it’s not softball where he doesn’t get to pitch every day,” Schlossnagle said. “They have a good one going tomorrow and a good one going on Sunday, but that guy’s pretty special.”

“He’s a real pitcher. He’s pitching in the wrong league, I can tell you that. He needs to be in the American or National League.”
- A&M head coach Jim Schlossnagle
  • Like 3