Gameday Tigers

LSU @ UGA (Game 1 - May 18, 2023)

Nutriaitch

Here we go....last series of the regular season.
Lots on the line (SEC seeding, national seed, etc.) starting tonight at 5pm from Foley Field in Athens, GA

Radio / TV:
98.1 FM in Baton Rouge area or free on the LSUSports app if you choose (for some ungodly reason) to listen to Chris Blair call it.
SECN+ is carrying the streaming only TV coverage. on the ESP app

Weather:
69° under very cloudy skies. Winds blowing in from Left Field at 10 mph with gust possibly up into the mid 20's.  Expecting rain during the afternoon leading up to the game, but should be tapering off before first pitch

Pitchers:
LSU – Jr. RH Paul Skenes (10-1, 1.69 ERA, 79.2 IP, 14 BB, 152 SO)
UGA – Fr. LH Jarvis Evans (2-0, 4.67 ERA, 17.1 IP, 5 BB, 21 SO)

28 minutes ago, Nutriaitch said:

Lots on the line (SEC seeding, etc.)

Best winning % gets the #1 seed. Division winner from opposite division gets the #2 (regardless of record).

and thanks to that lovely rainout in Columbia several weeks back, it's impossible for us to finish in a tie with anyone else right now (barring one of them raining out).
So this year the math is very simple....finish with same number of wins as Arkansas and whoever wins the East, and we are SEC regular season champs.

• Like 1

Top 2

LSU up 2-0 off the power of a Jobert smash.  Pitcher was cruising, walked JT and committed a pitch clock violation, then JT stole second...then third, neither with a throw.  Jobert then hit a ball to Atlanta or somewhere about 50 miles from Athens.

Headed to the bottom of the 2nd, Paul Skenes is a good pitcher.

• Like 2

Skenes has 6 up and 6 down through 2

Tigers back to the plate top 3

Dugas-B, B, S, B, Foul ball fills the count (Dugas with 49 game on base streak) Pops out to RF, one down

Morgan-S, B, B, foul 2-2, base hit to right man on one down

0Fer-B, S, B, tapped to short and he beats it out for an infield single.  No 0fer but it ain't like it was...2 on one down

The Man-Hits it to the wall in RF, caught, Morgan advances, 2 down with runners on the corners

The Vibe-S, B (this dude keeps trying to throw his curve and every one of them is 7' high lol, NO break), foul, foul, foul, another 8' tall curve ball, Morgan tries to take home but the ball bounces right back to the catcher and Morgan is out by 1.2 km.  Dumb move. Ran ourselves out of the inning with the pitcher trying to load the bases for Cade and the wind blowing out to right. 

(Cade went to my high school, btw)

UGA pitcher is at 73 pitches so far, Skenes at 25 after 2 IP. 
In 9 minutes I'll be in the pool listening to the game and no longer posting. 

Bottom 3 
LSU 2 UGA 0

Murillo-B, S, B??, foul, 2-2, B, Morgan makes another ridiculous catch in LC, SC top 10 for sure! 1 down

Laplante-S, B, S, K #3, 2 down nobody on

Thomas- B, foul 1-1, foul 1-2, K soooooooo nasty

9 up 9 down, 4Ks for Skenes

1 hour ago, Big T said:

Well what?

I mean 5 innings pitched, 1 walk and several Ks, and most important, we didn't have to trot out the entire bullpen and watch the merry go round. 

Thank the dropped pop up for this going into extras, but he made up for it too with TWO homers lol. 

Enjoy the W...Hurd did a great job

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Fishhead said:

I mean 5 innings pitched, 1 walk and several Ks, and most important, we didn't have to trot out the entire bullpen and watch the merry go round. 

Thank the dropped pop up for this going into extras, but he made up for it too with TWO homers lol. 

Enjoy the W...Hurd did a great job

I didn't even know we won. I quit watching after he threw two meatballs down the middle that were crushed to tie the game. 

He's awful and I'd be looking far and wide to replace him win or not. 

7 hours ago, Fishhead said:

His performance tonight was actually HUGE (despite trying to lose it).
Now we have every other bullpen arm still available for rest of the weekend.

7 hours ago, Fishhead said:

Hurd stepped on the mound in the 9th with a 2 run lead, but yeah let's blame something from a previous inning and not the two nukes he gave up with a chance to end it.

1 hour ago, Big T said:

I didn't even know we won. I quit watching after he threw two meatballs down the middle that were crushed to tie the game. 

He's awful and I'd be looking far and wide to replace him win or not. 

Couple of things.
A. don't watch just the result, watch his stuff.  He's got it. And has shown flashes for stretches of being able to put it together and really succeed.

B. maybe we can go into the portal and grab one of the highest rated arms available.  Somebody like.... oh yeah, Thatcher Hurd.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Nutriaitch said:

maybe we can go into the portal and grab one of the highest rated arms available.  Somebody like.... oh yeah, Thatcher Hurd.

Like I said, he had a two run lead and in a span of 3 batters tied it up with pitches I could have thrown. I didn't want to toss my phone out the window onto I-90 so I just shut it off. I'm never going to like that kid.

53 minutes ago, Nutriaitch said:

Skenes did the same thing earlier in the game.

just saying.

You could tell Skenes was off from about the 3rd inning, but he recovered and threw what, 115,116? He made a few mistakes and paid for them.  I'm not trading 10 Thatchers for one Skenes. Not today not ever. I'd have left him in the portal.