Gameday Tigers

RIP Randy Meisner

Hatchertiger

I saw Randy in the Assemby Center Feb. 1981 as a solo act. Opened for the Beach Boys. Seemed humble, a nice guy. His opening words were something like " I imagine most of you don't know who I am" "I used to play in the Eagles a few years ago." For whatever reason, I remember him from that show, 42 years ago.

He did "Take it to the Limit" absolutely perfectly. 

Weird looking back, had a free ticket to see the show. At the time, I was completely into a new band, Def Leppard plus Scorpions, Black Sabbath & Van Halen, in 1981. Rock & Metal. Randy Rhoads/Ozzy 1st album was so good, it almost made me put my guitar down for good, but I'm still playing. 

Anyway, Surf music & an Ex-Eagles member was about the furthest thing from my mind. I didn't hate the Surf stuff, but it sure seemed old back in 1981. " Surfer Girl" came out a year before I was born. I was 16 or 17 in '81.  But as often happens, I'm really glad I went. It was a very good show. Sad, now only Mike Love is the only one left I think, from the entire show, at 82.

RIP Mr. Meisner

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Hatchertiger said:

One of the founding members of the Eagles, he was 77. Odd in that he left the band in 1977 due to a near physical confrontation with Glen Frey during a concert.

We saw the Eagles in NOLA, not long ago, Vince Gill was with them along with Glen Freys son. Great concert, 8th row, center stage. 

• Like 1