Gameday Tigers

Position Group Breakdown-Wide Receivers

Fishhead

I'm trying not to get overly excited about this offense, but it's difficult.  This unit doesn't help to temper my expectations. 

Malik Nabers-Let's be honest, he's been the best WR on the team the last two years, and this season should be no exception.  He'll be one of the best in the country.  Kelly says he plans on using him different ways this year compared to last.  If you recall the bowl game, he was used in a variety of ways, throwing, running, and catching TDs.  
I don't expect him to throw a couple TDs this season, but very interested in finding out what Kelly is referring to.  

Brian Thomas, Jr-This dude could do nothing going forward and would still be a player I'll never forget for one play in his career...blocking Nootch's former mancrush into the seats against Alabama while Jayden Daniels scampered in on the first offensive play of OT against Alabama last year.  
Cool thing is, I expect a great year from BTJ.  Solid hands, and CLEARLY not afraid to block a chump into oblivion.

Kyren Lacy- Had some drops last season, but was always open and interestingly considering the drops, made some really solid catches in traffic.  Showed out during the spring game (I know, spring game).  Coaches are high on him and were leading into spring.  He proved them right.
I think he rounds out the top 3 guys.

Chris Hilton-Speed kills.  He has it.  Gotta show he's coming off injury well enough to grab playing time.

Landon Ibieta- Solid hands, maybe a possession receiver?  

Aaron Anderson-Speed again.  Slot guy, elusive.  I see him as a big time player on ST as a returner.  We'll see how he fits into the passing game, or the offense in general.  He could be a guy for jet sweeps, bubble screens, etc.  He's electric, athletically.  

It should be noted, Hilton, Ibieta, and Anderson are ALL coming off injuries.  But should all be a full go by now.

Jalen Brown, Kyle Parker, Shelton Sampson, and Khai Prean

The incoming freshman are a question mark as usual for incoming freshman.  The most talented may be out of Brown and Sampson, but the most ready physically is Parker.  

The question with freshman is always, are they ready?  The speed of SEC defenders, learning the route tree, the ball being thrown before they're out of their break, BLOCKING DOWNFIELD, etc.  Whomever does those things the best will play. But they'll have to really stand out to pass up 4, 5, and 6.

Bottom line, as usual, LSU has a solid WR room, one of the best WR rooms in the league for sure with a guy like Nabers and the 2-3 of BTJ and Lacy.  It's up to one of the next 6 to win the battle for the 4th spot, then 5th spot.  That'll probably play out as the season progresses, but this is NOT a unit of concern for sure. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fishhead said:

This dude could do nothing going forward and would still be a player I'll never forget for one play in his career...blocking Nootch's former mancrush into the seats against Alabama while Jayden Daniels scampered in on the first offensive play of OT against Alabama last year.  

Worth another look!!!!

giphy-downsized-large.gif

man-you-a-chump-foolish.gif

• Like 3