Gameday Tigers

Defense Position Breakdown-Safety

Fishhead

You get a 2-fer today.  I wanted to combine CBs and safeties into "DBs", but they're literal opposites right now and there's just too much to say about both groups, so I split it up. 

As mentioned in the CB thread, the transfer portal was kind to us last year at the safety position as well.  Joe Foucha and Greg Brooks were added to a group that included Jay Ward, Sage Ryan, Matthew Langlois, and Major Burns to name a few returning Tiger safeties. Of those names, Greg Brooks, Major Burns, and Sage Ryan are back for the Tigers.  But it doesn't stop there, not by a long shot.  The recruiting trail yielded solid results and the transfer portal continues to be an area Brian Kelly looks to to shore up position groups.  In many instances, such as DBs last season, it does a lot more than just "shore up" a group.  
Let's start with who I believe will be our starters at Safety to begin the year. But this is a MUCH deeper group than CB, so bear with me.

Greg Brooks, Jr-It's nice having a trusted individual back again, and Brooks is that.  I wasn't sure he'd play a ton last year, but in fact, he played extremely well.  He's a grad student this season and I look forward to see how he's progressed given the lighter academic workload.  Nootch thinks enough of Brooks to make him his mancrush, so at the risk of sounding like I'm crushing on another person's mancrush, I'll just say we're extremely fortunate to have Greg back and I am certain he'll be a starter come opening night.

Major Burns-Major played a major role in last season's defense, although for the 2nd year in a row, his season was interrupted with injury.  LSU fans have a propensity to seek out the negative and never let it go.  Major had some issues in coverage his first year here at LSU, but last season, his play continuously improved and he was actually a very solid safety when he was healthy.  Looking forward to his progression, but he has competition, and that's a good thing!

Andre Sam-I don't know if you can collect social security if you're still playing college football, but if it's possible, Sam may just be drawing a check from his Uncle Sam.  
Andre is entering his SEVENTH SEASON!  He spent the first 5 at McNeese (he's from Iowa, Louisiana, and if you don't know how to pronounce that, get out), and his 6th at Marshall last year.  I know there was a red-shirt season (2017) and of course Covid allowed an extra year, but I honestly don't know how you get a 7th??
Yet here we are, and from all practice reports I've heard and read, Sam is the real deal.  He is the biggest of the competition I spoke about above with regard to Major Burns. 
This is on his LSU Bio, so I feel comfortable sharing it.  Outside of football, Andre advocates for children with speech impediments.  He can relate, as he has a significant issue with stuttering.  It has NOT affected his ability to play football, and he's in serious contention for a starting role this season for the LSU Tigers!

Sage Ryan-In Sage Ryan, LSU returns an extremely talented player who in some eyes has yet to live up to the hype coming out of high school.  In my eyes, LSU returns a guy with a lot of experience and playing time who from most if not all indications is going to be the starting nickle back.  But there are questions...
We've seen flashed of good and bad from Sage.  The bad has been in terms of coverage ability.  With that said, with the current condition of the CB room, Sage Ryan is the guy the coaches are sprinkling in at CB from time to time, similar to what they did with Jay Ward last season.  They must see something, right?  
It's a good situation for Sage in that he's becoming a more well rounded player, and this opens up opportunities for him to see more playing time.  And experience is the #1 teacher.  

Matthew Langlois- FINALLY healthy??  Let's hope so!  This kid was someone I was really looking forward to seeing on the field for the Tigers, but his opportunities have been stunted by injuries his first two seasons as a Tiger.  I'd love to see him go through camp and into the season injury free and be able to finally see the talent and abilities I believe he possesses come to fruition on the field. 

Jordan Allen-Allen was a true freshman last season and took a redshirt after appearing in 4 games, including the bowl game against Purdue.  What you hope to see is guys getting better as they progress, and Allen did just that, having his best performance in the bowl game.  
He's versatile and could play a couple different positions, but I picture him staying at safety and contributing more this season.  At 5'11 and about 200 lbs, the guy's neck is about the size of my thighs.  I wanna see him pop somebody coming across the middle!  (just don't head hunt or lead with the crown, my man)

Javien Toviano-Toviano is a guy I struggled with when deciding who my mancrush would be this season.  I didn't see any musical attributes in his bio and that tilted the scale in favor of Stamps for me.  But Toviano comes in highly regarded out of high school as a 5* safety (Rivals) and endorsed by none other than the Honey Badger himself, Tyrann Mathieu.  So far a couple weeks into fall camp, he is making a name for himself and will likely contribute his true freshman season.  Hope I don't find out later he's actually a bass player.  I'll kick myself!

Kylin Jackson- If the light comes on early for this guy, look out.  He's just a true freshman, but was the Most Outstanding Defensive Player in the Baton Rouge area which includes his high school, Zachary.  Considering the talent in that area, that's lofty praise.  

There's no shortage of talent AND depth in the Safety room.  I mentioned my concern about the cornerbacks, and it's warranted.  But with safety, you have 3 guys returning who have been starters at the position at LSU, and loads of talent behind those three.  I believe we're going to see something from every player listed above.  

• Like 3