Gameday Tigers

Kelly Talks About What He’s Looking For In Recruiting.

LSUDad

In a recent presser Brian Kelly shared his perspective on the profile and stature of the LSU Football Program, as it relates to the Tigers’ recruiting… "I think it's the flagship school of the state. I think it clearly has a strong foothold. But you still have to be able to promote what this program is about, what it stands for, the academic mission... “So you can't just say, 'I'm from Louisiana, and you're coming to LSU.' Because it works on both ends. We're gonna recruit the very best student-athletes in the state. They don't all fit. Let's make sure that we understand that... "Not everybody fits the mission that we have here in this program. That's important to recognize. And on the other hand, we've got to make sure that when there are those student-athletes out there that do fit, that we recruit the heck out of 'em... "And not assume that they're coming to LSU just because we're the flagship school. So it works both ways from that perspective. So we definitely have a slant in our favor, but you've got to work at it... "And you've got to make sure you're not taking players just because they're from Louisiana. They still have to fit the mission that you have here."

Brian Kelly has seemed to completely alter the culture of this program in less than two years. On Sunday we get to see a glimpse of what he has created in his second year…

• Like 1

On 9/2/2023 at 10:33 AM, houtiger said:

He's a smart man.  So far, so good.  Now get us some good big DT's.  He did get us Wingo last year.

From the portal.  He shines in the portal, although there must not have been any elite CBs in the portal this cycle.  

He better start keeping the best players from LA home.  So far, not too good at that.  We need DL in the worst way and actually had some elite ones in state this cycle.  They're headed west.

11 minutes ago, Fishhead said:

From the portal.  He shines in the portal, although there must not have been any elite CBs in the portal this cycle.  

He better start keeping the best players from LA home.  So far, not too good at that.  We need DL in the worst way and actually had some elite ones in state this cycle.  They're headed west.

NIL is a huge change in college athletics, all sports.  Will the balance of power shift from its traditional centers.  It appears it will water down state loyalty, but if we got 8 of La.'s top 10, that is what we have traditionally done.  But missing McKinley from Acadiana (DT) and Mack from NO (CB) are two huge positions of need for LSU.  It really hurts to miss them.  Did A&M buy McKinley?  Probably to some extent.

2 hours ago, Fishhead said:

Playing zero freshmen DB when your secondary got cooked all night doesn't help away Mack's decision

I think the next 11 games will have a lot more to do with Mack's decision than the FSU game.  Kelly has shown he'll start freshmen if they prove they are ready.  I don't even think running them in against a top ten team week one is a good idea.  Will Campbell was unusual, and there were probably no good alternatives.  Mack also has to look at the Fla. situation.