Gameday Tigers

Film Study: LSU vs FSU ... 2023 (WTF was that?)

Nutriaitch

1 hour ago, Nutriaitch said:

actually, those are the only types of things you can really learn this week.

do we pressure on passing downs?
how do we use Perkins?

Against Grambling.  I'm not taking anything from that game because will we really learn anything?

It's another spring game.

35 minutes ago, Fishhead said:

I seriously doubt anyone on the LSU coaching staff knows how to dissect film lol. 

Come on

Of course they can, I was giving props to your boy because he did such a great job.

1st snap of LSU's 2nd possession.

LSU has 6 guys staying in to block 4 FSU rushers.

Screen Shot 2023-09-07 at 7.48.31 PM.png

#55 Braden Fiske just slips right between Turner and Dellinger pretty much at the snap.
Then Noah Cain just completely whiffs on the block.

Screen Shot 2023-09-07 at 7.52.31 PM.png

for those of you (myself included) that say JD pulls ball down too quick, this was the first designed pass play that he kept.
and really he had no choice.

made 2 people miss to gain positive yardage on the play

here you go @Big T here are the things you can learn from watching LSU play Grambling.

2nd and 10. Knowing Norvell and his tendencies, this is most likely a passing down.

we have 3 down linemen and our 2 best pass rushers, Oghoufo (Purple) and Perkins (Gold), playing OLB/Edge and creeping toward line.
but neither rush the QB and instead go back into coverage.Screen Shot 2023-09-07 at 8.21.52 PM.png

this leaves 5 OL, a RB, and the WR in motion all available to block 3 people.
7 is more than 3 if you don't have a calculator handy.

Guillory actually gets through and disrupts the play.
but because nobody else did Travis makes one dude miss, then has time to finish his beer, find an open guy (his dump valve) and gained 7 yards.

now next weekend, if either (or preferably both) Oghoufo and Perkins go the other direction at the snap, that's called "making an adjustment".

Screen Shot 2023-09-07 at 8.24.48 PM.png

now, you have the edges set. that's called "keeping contain"

and because you set them with your 2 best pass rushers, one of whom is phenomenal athlete and possibly best player on the entire field in every game we play, you have a much greater chance of getting a sack, or at least a hurried throw away.

whatever is the result of the change is not what you're looking for against Grambling.
I'm looking to see that the coaching staff watched film and realized that WE schemed Perkins away from the ball, and quit doing that shyte.

• Like 2

Seriously, Gregory Clayton can catch punts like this (no, that's not Jarvis Landry):

Clayton Punt catch.png

but dude apparently has Polio or something because he's not allowed to ever run with it and always Fair Catches it.

meanwhile:
Malik Nabers, Jack Bech, and now Aaron Anderson who are all plenty capable of wreaking havoc while running with a football can't catch one that hits them in the hands, facemask, chest, etc.

I seriously cannot explain this phenomenon.

Hell, even Trey Palmer used to bobble them before making a return.

• Haha 1

ok, 4th and 1 on our next possession.
I like the call of going for it here (even though we couldn't get one yard on 1st possession of game)

and god I love when everybody in the stadium is crowding the box

Everyone in Box.png

we are running a zone read here.
JD puts the ball in Williams' gut while staring down the DE/Edge on RB side of the line
White Arrow is where he should be looking.
if DE/Edge (Garnet circle) crashes into backfield (Garnet arrow), Daniels needs to keep and should beat everyone to the edge for a gain (purple arrow).
if on the other hand, the DE/Edge "stays home" (FSU gold line stop), then he hands to Williams behind the tackle for a first down.

ZoneRead.png

and here I have to tip my cap to the FSU Safety that was playing Edge on this snap.
He clearly starts crashing on the "read", but immediately is able to stop and chad change direction on the "keep"

Screen Shot 2023-09-07 at 9.05.48 PM.png

he then gets back in time to set the edge and force JD inside where FSU was waiting for him

Screen Shot 2023-09-07 at 9.06.58 PM.png

honestly a great play by Shyheim Brown, and not really anything we did wrong on the play.

another FSU passing down. 3rd and 5

we send 4 against their 5 (they had 6 and a TE chipped on way out)

if that's not enough, they also have 4 eligible receivers to our 3 defenders with any shot at preventing the 1st down..

Screen Shot 2023-09-07 at 9.20.16 PM.png

seriously, we need at least 2 more guys in there on the pass rush.
and call me crazy, but I would use my 2 Edge rushers.

2 hours ago, Nutriaitch said:

here are the things you can learn from watching LSU play Grambling.

That would be freaking FANTASTIC if we play Grambling every week. Here I was trying to give you props and you crap down your leg trying to be funny.

Dumbass

7 hours ago, Big T said:

That would be freaking FANTASTIC if we play Grambling every week.

you do realize the reason pretty much every big name school in America plays these games is because they can work on and learn things from them?

7 hours ago, Big T said:

Here I was trying to give you props and you crap down your leg trying to be funny. Dumbass

and I tried to explain to you that there are definitely things you can learn from a game against Grambling.
but just like in baseball, you refuse to acknowledge that something outside of your thought process is even slightly possible.

tell you what @Big T, I'll even acknowledge for you that you can also waste a game against Grambling and learn nothing.

if we go out there Saturday and just simply out athlete them across the board without even attempting to change things, then the staff has learned nothing (or at least wasn't working on it).
Example: if the interior O-Line suddenly looks like the '66 Packers, that's probably got more to do with our opponent than it does with us fixing anything.

however, if (like in my example) we see a change in scheme, or where personnel line up, maybe see different WR's earlier in game, etc. then that indicates us using this game to work on adjustments.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Nutriaitch said:

HOLY SH¡T we blitzed!!!!!

send 5 including Oghoufo and Brooks.  Even get Perkins close enough to the line to draw a blocker

Screen Shot 2023-09-07 at 9.27.07 PM.png

Travis panics, steps up and forces a throw.
Picked off by Chestnut.

On the play where Brooks ALMOST picked off Travis deep in their territory, we also blitzed.  

See how that works?  Even with sub-par CBs/secondary issues, you can absolutely affect the opposing QB and generate turnovers/negative plays.  Just gotta bring the heat.  Play to the strengths of your team.  Not hide them.

11 hours ago, Nutriaitch said:

if we go out there Saturday and just simply out athlete them across the board

Glad you see my point. Sure you can change schemes, plug players here and there and shine like a diamond in a goats ass. Because you are that much better. 

So what did you learn? Not much because you aren't playing anyone that can teach you anything 

2 hours ago, Nutriaitch said:

using Perkins to attack instead of playing zone coverage means we learned that playing him in zone coverage was a stupid idea and we scrapped it. 

that’s the types of things you can learn. 
even against Grambling. 

We don't need to play anyone to know that was a dumbsh*t plan. I mean do we? C'mon you are smarter than that, hell we've all said it since Sunday. 

I totally understand your pov but no, we don't need to play Grambling to "learn" that. Rent-a-Win...ok. Tune up game...fine but learn anything no way. We already know.

32 minutes ago, Big T said:

We don't need to play anyone to know that was a dumbsh*t plan. I mean do we? C'mon you are smarter than that, hell we've all said it since Sunday. 

I totally understand your pov but no, we don't need to play Grambling to "learn" that. Rent-a-Win...ok. Tune up game...fine but learn anything no way. We already know.

You know what's funny?  There's LSU fans all over the internet still whining about the fact we opened the season against FSU and how we should schedule a tune up game prior to stepping up to top 10 neutral site/road games as openers.  They're already complaining about us opening up against USC next season without a week zero game.

LSU fans cannot be pleased lol. 

I agree we shouldn't play teams like Grambling, but what are you supposed to do when everyone else worth a shyte does it?  TAMU played New Mexico St. last week.  Gumps, OM, Georgia, all played trash teams.  Georgia I know plays Ball St. tomorrow.  It is what it is.  You're not going to the game so why does it bug you so much?  Think about the fans that pay season ticket prices to watch that crap lol. 

13 hours ago, Fishhead said:

I agree we shouldn't play teams like Grambling, but what are you supposed to do when everyone else worth a shyte does it?  TAMU played New Mexico St. last week.  Gumps, OM, Georgia, all played trash teams.  Georgia I know plays Ball St. tomorrow.  It is what it is.  You're not going to the game so why does it bug you so much?  Think about the fans that pay season ticket prices to watch that crap lol. 

the teams you mention by name are at least FBS and not 1AA.

I'd be good with just eliminating playing 1AA teams.

19 hours ago, Fishhead said:

why does it bug you so much?

It doesn't bug me at all, even opening against FSU doesn't bother me. Wish we'd have looked better but you're correct, it is what it is.

So get it straight fishboy, I don't care who we play, I simply pointed out that if change what we did with Perkins and it works (because it will) that isn't some "Ah Ha" moment. 

34 minutes ago, Big T said:

I simply pointed out that if change what we did with Perkins and it works (because it will) that isn't some "Ah Ha" moment. 

you're the one missing the point.

we've both said the result of the play is not what we are looking to see.
because we could keep doing the same thing with Perkins and it will work this game too.

I want to see THAT we make that change.