Gameday Tigers

Game Thread: LSU @ Landmass State (9/16/23 ... 11:00am ... ESPN)

Nutriaitch

1) I am  not and never will be a fan of 11:00am games.

2) I think the team is coming together nicely and exceeded expectations this week.

3) The secondary looked better I thought, but there were a few missed golden opportunities that could have been turnovers though.

4) Of course, MS. State is an average team at best this year, but I am cautiously optimistic.

5)  I don't agree with them throwing that kid out for targeting. I don't think he intentionally did it to try to hurt JD, just happened to be how they ended up colliding.. 

6) I honestly believe that a run all the way through to the SECCG is a significant (maybe not likely) possibility... Yeah I said it. If you read this and think to yourself "that dude must be high"..  you're most likely right.

7) If I am home for Arky I will be in chat here while watching... also probably while high. At least it ain't an early game.

😎 Geaux Tigers!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Swerved said:

5)  I don't agree with them throwing that kid out for targeting. I don't think he intentionally did it to try to hurt JD, just happened to be how they ended up colliding.. 

By definition it's textbook targeting, and the result of targeting is ejection.  

It was a great hit 10 years ago or more, but he absolutely led with the crown of his helmet, and that one infraction requires no other qualifiers such as "launching, forcible contact to the head/neck area", etc...

That portion of the rule is to protect the tackler and by now you'd figure he's been taught HIS whole life to see your area of contact.  You can't see it when your head is completely lowered like that and the crown of the helmet makes direct impact. 

Now, I question the rule a LOT, but if it's a rule, AND IF DEVIN WHITE WAS EJECTED AGAINST THEM WHEN HIS FACEMASK TOUCHED FITZPATRICK'S lol, screw them.

🙂

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Fishhead said:

By definition it's textbook targeting, and the result of targeting is ejection.  

It was a great hit 10 years ago or more, but he absolutely led with the crown of his helmet, and that one infraction requires no other qualifiers such as "launching, forcible contact to the head/neck area", etc...

That portion of the rule is to protect the tackler and by now you'd figure he's been taught HIS whole life to see your area of contact.  You can't see it when your head is completely lowered like that and the crown of the helmet makes direct impact. 

Now, I question the rule a LOT, but if it's a rule, AND IF DEVIN WHITE WAS EJECTED AGAINST THEM WHEN HIS FACEMASK TOUCHED FITZPATRICK'S lol, screw them.

🙂

According to the letter of the rule, FH is correct.  However, maybe they need a slight rule change.  Something unique happened on that play. 

Jayden Daniels leaped into the air and LAUNCHED himself at Preston.  At that point, what is your reflex?  Is it to go into a vulnerable position and throw your head back while the guy flies through the air at you?  Or would you duck your head to allow you shoulder and back muscles to support your head, stay down in a compact ball.  There is no advantage to be had by allowing yourself to get decked by a flying opponent, this is not basketball where if you take the charge the other guy gets a foul or penalty.

I think Preston's reaction was to protect himself from an airborne fast moving Daniels.  In that case, I think the rule should be changed if you are protecting yourself from an incoming airborne player, and Preston did not go for Daniels head.

9 minutes ago, houtiger said:

According to the letter of the rule, FH is correct.  However, maybe they need a slight rule change.  Something unique happened on that play. 

Jayden Daniels leaped into the air and LAUNCHED himself at Preston.  At that point, what is your reflex?  Is it to go into a vulnerable position and throw your head back while the guy flies through the air at you?  Or would you duck your head to allow you shoulder and back muscles to support your head, stay down in a compact ball.  There is no advantage to be had by allowing yourself to get decked by a flying opponent, this is not basketball where if you take the charge the other guy gets a foul or penalty.

I think Preston's reaction was to protect himself from an airborne fast moving Daniels.  In that case, I think the rule should be changed if you are protecting yourself from an incoming airborne player, and Preston did not go for Daniels head.

Agree with everything you just said, except throwing in the part about "did not go for Daniel's head".  That's irrelevant, he was called because he led with the crown of his helmet.  Going for his head is not a required qualifier in that case.  

However, I agree he did what he did because of the sudden change in Daniels' position.  

Alas, I harken back to Devin White's ejection against them right before we played Gumps, which was absolutely not targeting by any measure, and I continue to not give a rats ass about this dude being ejected lol.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, houtiger said:

Jayden Daniels leaped into the air and LAUNCHED himself at Preston.

not sure how unique that is. players jump and hurdle several times every game. 

10 hours ago, houtiger said:

At that point, what is your reflex?  Is it to go into a vulnerable position and throw your head back while the guy flies through the air at you?  Or would you duck your head to allow you shoulder and back muscles to support your head, stay down in a compact ball.  There is no advantage to be had by allowing yourself to get decked by a flying opponent, this is not basketball where if you take the charge the other guy gets a foul or penalty.

lowering your head where you can't even see him anymore should never be your first instinct. EVER.
doing so actually puts you in a much more vulnerable position than with your head up.  and trust me when I say hitting the top of your head hurts a lot more than hitting your facemark does.
in that spot you do what everybody does when they get a chance to square up a QB.  you lower your shoulder (not head) and drive it through his sternum.

and that aspect of the rule doesn't need changing.

A. lowering your head (regardless of reasoning) is about the most dangerous move you can make on a football field.  For both your opponent and yourself.  Think back to every serious spine injury you've ever seen in a football game.  Damn near every one involved contact with the crown of the helmet. 

B. the last thing anyone needs is for officials to have any sort of discretion as to why someone did something before determining if it's a penalty or not.  They struggle enough with the "did he or didn't he?" aspect of throwing flags. I couldn't imagine how horrible it would be if we told them to determine intent.