Gameday Tigers

Kaleb Jackson 100 meter times - high school

houtiger

I want to look at the facts re: Kaleb, and compare him to what I find on Billy Cannon.  First Kaleb: https://www.athletic.net/athlete/14797765/track-and-field/high-school

The number on the left looks like his finish position in the race, so 5th is the state championship.

10.95 Mar 3 Glen Oaks Panthers Invitational V F
  11.85 Mar 8 Clarence Antoine Relays V F
  10.73 Mar 25 Pete Boudreaux Invitational V F
  10.81 Mar 29 Red and Gold Relays V F
  10.68 Apr 5 Brady Perry Invitational V F
  10.88 Apr 13 Grizzly Relays V F
10.83 Apr 20 District 4-5A Track Meet V F
  10.70 Apr 28 5A Region II Track Meet V F
  10.61 (0.3) PR May 6 LHSAA State Outdoor Championships V F

I will drop the 11.85, then we go from 10.61 to 10.95, I'll call Kaleb's range 10.6 to 11.0, and the average is 10.8, where most of his times occurred.

BILLY CANNON seemed to run 9.5 or 9.6 in the 100 yard dash in college, down from 9.7 in high school (he had a 9.4 in college, but it was wind aided).

I looked for a conversion of 100 yard time to 100 meter time and found this:

Cannon's 9.5 converts to 10.4, and his 9.6 converts to 10.5.  I think Cannon consistently ran 9.6, so let's go with 10.5.

So we have Cannon at 10.5 in college and Jackson at 10.8 in high school.  Cannon's 9.7 in high school converts to 10.6 high school.

Cannon was .2 seconds faster in high school than Jackson.

I am guessing that Jackson will not run track at LSU, so he won't get the benefit of track coaching on his speed.  I could be wrong.  Cannon improved one or two tenths in college.  Will Jackson improve a tenth of a second?  I hope so.

Anyhow, Cannon was a bit faster than Kaleb Jackson.  Cannon weighed 210 in college, Jackson is 220-225.

Bo Jackson recorded a 10.39 100 meter best at Auburn, call that 10.4, and that equals Cannon's best of 10.4 at LSU.  Those are not their average times, but best compared to best.

I found one time for Leonard Fournette in high school 100 meters, at a La. regional meet he ran 10.7, a step faster than Kaleb's average of 10.8, but I have not found Leonard's average 100 meter.  Kaleb had a one time best of 10.6.

Edited by houtiger
  • Like 2

This quote from CBK tells you what you need to know, KJ is a work in progress and needs experience. 

“If you look back on his high school career, he he was not a four-year player even in high school, so you know he’s learning how to play the game every time he steps on the field. And he’s terrific to coach.” Kelly added that it’s easy to see the raw physical ability but there’s much more that goes into playing the position. “You saw what [Logan] Diggs and and [Josh] Williams were able to do in third down protections against a very difficult scheme. Kaleb was not ready for that. He will get ready for that, but he’s just not there yet.”

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Hatchertiger said:

This quote from CBK tells you what you need to know, KJ is a work in progress and needs experience. 

Or just watch the pass protection from Diggs and Williams

Diggs literally pancaked a dude Saturday, then jumped on him like syrup lol. He's a beast. 

• Like 2

when I was younger (late teens - mid 20's or so) I always wanted to race someone with elite speed.

I was always pretty fast. But fast as in "faster than most regular High School schmucks" fast.
not fast as in "go try out for Olympics" fast.

you see these numbers ... guys breaking 11 sec in the 100 ... sub 4.3 in the 40, etc.
and they're numbers.  yes, they're fast numbers.

but dammit I wanted to SEE it.

I wanted to race Trindon Holiday.
I wanted to see what 4.27 was compared to me who was in the 4.5 range (High School coaches with a stop watch, so not even remotely close to as accurate as what you read for college/pro athletes)
*hint: 2+ full tenths of a second in the 40 is an ass kicking*

Regarding Maason Smith, everyone expected great things from him, but I mentioned we don't know what we will get back from his ACL.  I think you will always be tentative for a while until you gain the trust in your repair knee.  BK said Maason is knocking off the rust from a year of inaction.

Kaleb Jackson missed most of his sr. year with an injury.  I looked and found out he broke a bone in his ankle.  If it feels good to him now, I think I would rather come back from that than an ACL.  Hatch pointed out he was not a 4 yr. player in high school, so he is short some experience, and he missed most of his sr. year, so he's knocking some rust off (while knocking down safeties).  Kaleb was NOT an early enrollee last spring, so his first official coaching at LSU was the first week of August in Fall Camp.

I was curious about the guy when we signed him, but I had not heard of him in any of the hot recruiting lists.  That is when I found out he missed his sr. year.

-------------------

"Sept. 2022 - On300 tailback Kaleb Jackson, an On3 Consensus top 10 running back nationally, is out between six and eight weeks after suffering a fracture in his ankle last Friday in his senior debut. The injury occurred four carries into the game in the midst of Jackson breaking tackles to keep a run alive.

“They packed the box with everyone they had, I broke five or six tackles but I couldn’t go down,” Jackson told On3. “I wasn’t giving them the satisfaction, so I kept pushing and put weight on my left ankle and it hurt a little bit.”

On the sidelines, Jackson was shocked when he looked down at the damage. That ended his night indefinitely.

I took off my shoe and I was shocked; my ankle was huge,” he remembered. “I took off my ankle tape and I couldn’t walk on it. It was probably the size of a baseball … it was huge.”

Scans revealed a small piece of bone came out and there was a fracture in Jackson’s left ankle. Healing time is between six and eight weeks, and it’s allowed Jackson to be a leader from the sidelines.

“I’m passing the torch off my young backs, being a mentor, a coach and a leader supporting my guys as much as I can,” he said in his boot. “I’m supporting them with everything I can.”

This isn’t the end for me. I’m gonna play at the next level and it’s what I believe and it’s what I know,” he continued. “If I push too hard, that’s my career, so I know I’m gonna be alright and I can’t get too down or upset, especially in front of these guys. We’re a program and I believe that and they believe that, too.”

Jackson is the No. 6 running back according to the On3 Consensus, a complete and equally weighted industry-generated average. "

Edited by houtiger