Gameday Tigers

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly - Ole Miss

dachsie

14 hours ago, GREG said:

I am over the Kelly experiment,

we were in almost identical spot on this date last year and won the West.

I'm not ready to bail on the "experiment" of hiring one of the most successful coaches that's currently still active.

14 hours ago, GREG said:

Matt House needs to fornicating geaux asap.

yep

16 minutes ago, houtiger said:

Last year Kelly was a genius, beat Gumps, won the west, with a bunch of transfers after O left the cupboard bear.

Now he's a bum.

I don't buy it.

first time following LSU? :lmao:

that pendulum will probably swing a few more times this season before it's over.

16 minutes ago, houtiger said:

House may be a bum.  

he definitely is not trending in the right direction.

21 hours ago, Nutriaitch said:

we were in almost identical spot on this date last year and won the West.

I'm not ready to bail on the "experiment" of hiring one of the most successful coaches that's currently still active.

Brian Kelly Has Message For Everyone After LSU's Second Loss (msn.com)

This quote from him is why I do not believe he is the answer and that he's in over his head... cuz yeh, the Offense is the problem... 

"“We’re going to go back to work, and we’re going to work our tails off to get better. We’re going to work to get our offense even better and hopefully, that’ll be good enough to go up to Columbia and back on the road in an SEC matchup against a really good team to get a win. We’re trying to get through week-to-week now. Day-by-day. That’s going to be our focus."

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, GREG said:

This quote from him is why I do not believe he is the answer and that he's in over his head... cuz yeh, the Offense is the problem... 

"“We’re going to go back to work, and we’re going to work our tails off to get better. We’re going to work to get our offense even better and hopefully, that’ll be good enough to go up to Columbia and back on the road in an SEC matchup against a really good team to get a win. We’re trying to get through week-to-week now. Day-by-day. That’s going to be our focus."

it's coach speak.  I don't pay much attention to that stuff because none of them ever actually say anything of substance.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Nutriaitch said:

it's coach speak.  I don't pay much attention to that stuff because none of them ever actually say anything of substance.

Very true... i'm just of the opinion he needs to stop talking and start doing. To openly suggest that the offense is the problem, it just seems he has no ceiling on sounding really out of touch...

14 minutes ago, GREG said:

Very true... i'm just of the opinion he needs to stop talking and start doing. To openly suggest that the offense is the problem, it just seems he has no ceiling on sounding really out of touch...

you're reading into it too much.

him saying make the offense "even better".  meaning he knows they are good and will make them an even stronger unit, and does not imply they are the problem.  it actually implies that we will have to lean on them to win down the stretch (and he's right).

• Like 1

9 hours ago, GREG said:

Uh, Coach.  The offense isnt the problem.  Work on the defense.

• Like 1

Here is a huge problem that’s been discussed: tackling. It really hit home though when you see the numbers: From DandyDon:

2. Obviously, LSU has not been playing fundamentally sound on defense. There’s nothing more fundamental than tackling, and the Tigers missed a whopping 34 tackles against Ole Miss. According to PFF, LSU’s grade for tackling (59.4) ranks 94th in the country and 12th in the SEC, ahead of only Florida (103rd) and Texas A&M (108th).

Coach Kelly said that tackling can be taught and it’s something they teach every day, but they’ve been looking at the practice schedule and are considering spending more time on it, given the circumstances. He also pointed out that the missed tackles led to “285 yards after misses.”  

That’s almost 300 yards of extra offense because of a missed tackle. The best defensive scheme in the world isn’t jack if your players don’t bring people to the ground. My high school coach would stop practice and have a one on one tackling drill for half an hour if we weren’t tackling well. 

• Like 2