Gameday Tigers

LSU @ Mizzou ... Game 1 (4.19.24)

Nutriaitch

Schedule finally eases up a bit.
but we are WAAAAAAAAY behind the 8 ball.

we need to go no worse than 10-5 to squeak into a regional somewhere.

Starting tonight against Mizzou.
7:00pm from Taylor Stadium

TV:
SEC Network

Weather:
57° at first pitch under intermittently cloudy skies.  Winds coming in at an angle from the Left Field Fair Pole at 7mph with gusts to maybe around 10 mph.

Pitching:
LSU – So. LH Gage Jump (2-1, 4.79 ERA, 35.2 IP, 15 BB, 43 SO)
Missouri – So. RH Logan Lunceford (1-2, 6.13 ERA, 39.2 IP, 11 BB, 35 SO)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Big T said:

Like that's gonna happen 

I never thought the 2008 team would reel off 23 straight wins.
I was at the last game before the streak and would have put money of that team finishing at bottom of the SEC. Let alone be a National Seed.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nutriaitch said:

I never thought the 2008 team would reel off 23 straight wins.
I was at the last game before the streak and would have put money of that team finishing at bottom of the SEC. Let alone be a National Seed.

Cute, 

How about $20 says they don't make a regional and $50 says they don't make it out of one?

Edited by Big T

14 hours ago, Big T said:

Cute, 

How about $20 says they don't make a regional and $50 says they don't make it out of one?

how about a six pack says they get in?

a wager on them getting out will be decided once we see where  and who we play

• Like 1

On 4/20/2024 at 1:59 PM, Nutriaitch said:

a wager on them getting out will be decided once we see where  and who we play

No confidence eh? That's a sure winner for me because they have no chance regardless of who or where they play. They could gift them a regional at the Box and we still wouldn't get to the Supers.

9 hours ago, Big T said:

No confidence eh? That's a sure winner for me because they have no chance regardless of who or where they play. They could gift them a regional at the Box and we still wouldn't get to the Supers.

you probably said the same thing in '21 when they went to Oregon and won

11 hours ago, Nutriaitch said:

you probably said the same thing in '21 when they went to Oregon and won

This isn't 21. The team probably isn't as bad as they seem but they have no leadership and if they haven't found it by now it isn't coming.  Next year will be even worse!

12 hours ago, Big T said:

This isn't 21.

I'm not saying that this is '21 or even that they'll do what '21 did.

just pointing out that you can't make a definitive statement like that in baseball.
crazy shyte happens all the time in this sport.  
it's one of the things that makes the sport so damn great.

The team probably isn't as bad as they seem but they have no leadership and if they haven't found it by now it isn't coming.

this team isn't any where near as bad as their record says.

and I have no clue how someone that doesn't even watch the games can make any remarks about leadership (or anything else).

this team right now lacks the "clutch gene" that last year's team had.
they also haven't been treated very kindly by the baseball gods.

too many times we've seen guys come up with runners in scoring position and the batter smokes one at over 100mph exit velocity, but dead at someone.
we've seen balls take weird spins away from the catcher.
we've seen opposing players nub one off the end of the bat that barely squirts juuust far enough away that nobody can make a play on it.

our record looks like hell, but in reality, we're not that far away from being middle of the pack in the SEC.
which is still below where we expect to be, but not nearly as bad as what we are currently seeing.

Next year will be even worse!

you have absolutely no way of knowing that right now.
the roster will look a LOT different next year.

you don't know who we're going to lose to the draft, what recruits end up on campus, who we get in the portal, etc.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, LSUDad said:

This time last season, did you have a hunch, we would win the National Championship? 

I thought we had a shot, we were still top 5 maybe top 3 in the country and hadn't lost a series.  Now we aren't ranked at all and can't buy a series.  Tanks will be gone and no one to fill that void. Seems like a great recruiting strategy to me.  I'll double down and now say it's probably closer to 3 years before we don't smell like a dead rat behind the dry wall.

Edited by Big T

I thought we had a shot, we were still top 5 maybe top 3 in the country and hadn't lost a series.

um, we were #1 in the country from opening pitch into May.

can't buy a series.

we literally just won the last series we played.

Tanks will be gone and no one to fill that void.

what if I told you there is a guy on the current roster with more HR, more doubles, more triples, similar RBI, more total bases, higher slugging %, higher on base %, higher OPS than Tanks?
oh, and this guy hasn't grounded into a single double play all year (Tommy leads the team in that category).

Seems like a great recruiting strategy to me.

at this point in the '22 season, we had no clue Tanks would be transferring in for the next season.

you need to try to take yourself out of the football mindset.
baseball is completely different when it comes to roster turnover/management.

outside of a couple guys, it is damn near impossible to know at this point who will even be on this team next year.
you have to have a little bit of patience and see how the draft and portal affect us before you can try even remotely guess what next year will look like.

I'll double down and now say it's probably closer to 3 years before we don't smell like a dead rat behind the dry wall.

this gives me a ton of confidence. 
because you've shown that your ability to predict baseball is downright atrocious.

• 5 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Nutriaitch said:

come on @Big T i see you reacting, come in here and eat your crow. 

I actually got the outcome that I wanted. You just aren't sharp enough to understand the method of my madness 

9 minutes ago, Big T said:

I actually got the outcome that I wanted. You just aren't sharp enough to understand the method of my madness 

I'm not buying that "reverse jinx" didley-poo this year either.

and to prove it, despite being a ridiculously over-superstitious baseball guy, I threw down on the team winning.