Gameday Tigers

Mondo Duplantis

Another gold medal. Another world record. Yes I wish he was vaulting for the US but I certainly don't hate on him for that like some do.  An amazing talent with no peer in his sport at the present. He had room to spare on his world record jump.  Gave Death Valley a shout out in post win presser;

“I was going down the runway and it was so loud. It sounded like Death Valley honestly, it sounded like Tiger Stadium. It helped me quite a bit honestly since I’m used to those kind of crowds at LSU.”

PS I pole vaulted in high school. PR was 13'. My track coach had no experience with it so I had to teach myself. He came to me during my my junior and told me that district was going to be very close and that if I could simply clear the opening height, we would get one point and that might be the difference.  Well I did but we did better than expected in other events.  Got to my PR my senior year and then turned it over to two juniors I was training who were already vaulting as high as I was.

Edited by Hatchertiger
  • Like 1

I read an article why he vaults for Sweden.  His parents are from Sweden.  Sweden is really into the pole vault, and he is like a rock star in Sweden.  His parents had moved to the US, but are back in Sweden, and his dad is his coach still.

It looked to me like he cleared the world record height with maybe 3 inches to spare.  In pro track meets they get a bonus if they set a new world record.  I wonder if he will set 6 or 8 new world records in the next couple of years?

20 hours ago, houtiger said:

I read an article why he vaults for Sweden.  His parents are from Sweden.  Sweden is really into the pole vault, and he is like a rock star in Sweden.  His parents had moved to the US, but are back in Sweden, and his dad is his coach still.

It looked to me like he cleared the world record height with maybe 3 inches to spare.  In pro track meets they get a bonus if they set a new world record.  I wonder if he will set 6 or 8 new world records in the next couple of years?

Well his mom is from Sweden. His dad, Greg, is from Lafayette. Greg pole vaulted for Lafayette High and LSU. Greg met his wife at LSU who was a volleyball player and heptathlete. Mondo grew up in Lafayette with a pole vault in his back yard. The entire family is very athletic.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...