Gameday Tigers

Derrick Dillon out for Spring

LSUDad

LSU receiver Derrick Dillon underwent hip surgery in February, out for spring

Updated 5:15 PMToday 5:12 PM

LSU wide receiver Derrick Dillon catches a pass over the outstretched arms of Auburn linebacker Deshaun Davis and runs in for a touchdown. Photos by Butch Dill, Associated Press AP

LSU wide receiver Derrick Dillon catches a pass over the outstretched arms of Auburn linebacker Deshaun Davis and runs in for a touchdown. Photos by Butch Dill, Associated Press AP AP 

Senior LSU receiver Derrick Dillon underwent hip surgery in February and will miss all of spring practices, an LSU source told NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune.

Dillon has been on the sidelines with crutches watching practice for much of the spring. He is expected to be ready for the season this fall.

Dillon was LSU’s fourth-leading receiver in 2018 with 22 catches for 307 yards and two touchdowns. Most notably, Dillon caught a 71-yard touchdown pass to spark LSU’s 22-21 comeback win at Auburn.

In the Fiesta Bowl, Dillon had two catches for 86 yards and a touchdown.

Dillon’s father, Earl Cotton, died March 7, 2018, after complications from a bacterial infection. After Dillon had his big catch against Auburn, he said:

“He was the one with me through the entire process of football, ever since I was younger,” Dillon said. “It was just me and him, one-on-one, practicing football everyday, getting better, and basically practicing for this moment.

“I finally got the moment, and he didn’t see it.”

Archived