Gameday Tigers

tortured souls of the 90’s

Nutriaitch

i was a teenager slap in the middle of the grunge movement.  it was an amazing time to be coming of age and i really wish i had appreciated more than i did (while it was happening). 

for one, the music from that era holds up against any other era in rock history, and nothing since has even come close. 

it was like real rock’s last hurrah. one final punch. before being taken over by the overproduced crap of today. 

dont know what it was about that time frame, but the lyricists and writers were some just haunted individuals.  the demons surrounded and eventually overtook almost all of the legends (or could have been legends). 

so here is a topic paying tribute to those guys  

Nirvana 

needs no introduction, but:

Kurt Cobain killed himself (Courtney prolly did it) April 5, 1994. 

this was my generation’s John Lennon. except we didn’t even get to see him reach 30, let alone 40. 

one of only a handful of people that really and truly redefined what music was. 

• Like 1

Alice in Chains

Layne Staley. died of an overdose on the 8th anniversary of Kurt’s death. 

his emotion and anguish is evident even in songs that he personally didn’t write (like Rooster for example).  For me, his unplugged set for Mtv is second only to the one by Nirvana. 

• Like 1

Stone Temple Pilots / Velvet Revolver

Scott Weiland.  Died of an overdose Dec 3, 2015. 

does not get as much credit as he deserves as a singer. great vocal range. but even in accoustic sets you can sense the pain in his soul that eventually was too much to overcome. 

• Like 1

Soundgarden / Temple of the Dog / Audioslave / solo work. 

Chris Cornell. hanged gimself May 18, 2017. 

THE best voice of that era. and the one i thought (and really hoped) would hold on to be an old man. was doing small accoustic venues late in his career showing his versatility. 

an while not quite on the same level as the above, but still worth mentioning. 

Blind Melon

Shannon Hoon. Died of overdose in New Orleans Oct 21, 1995.  Really only known for his hit “No Rain”. But also was a backup singer (and in video) for “Don’t Cry” by Guns N’ Roses.  Something about his voice is just, can’t put my finger on it, but it sticks with you in an almost eerie way. 

• 7 months later...