Gameday Tigers

AD Scott Woodward Signs A 6 Year Contract

LSUDad

Report: LSU AD Scott Woodward inks six-year contract

ByBILLY EMBODY 9 hours ago 

LSU athletic director Scott Woodward inked a six-year deal with the school that should keep him in his native Baton Rouge at least through April 30, 2025, according to Brooks Kubena of the Baton Rouge Advocate. The contract pays Woodward an annual salary of $1.1 million per year that rises to $1.5 million in the final year of the deal, according to the details obtained by public records request.

Texas A&M will receive a payment of $50,000 for Woodward's departure, which was reportedly done a week ago and announced by the university on Thursday morning. On Tuesday, Woodward was announced by the school as its 10th athletic director on campus, where he said he was happy to be back where he obtained his undergraduate degree and once sold peanuts inside Tiger Stadium.

"Thomas Wolf once said that you can't go home again. But clearly they've never been to Baton Rouge," Woodward said in his opening statement. "I grew up a few miles from here, and LSU was a part of my life from my earliest memories. At the age of 10 I was climbing the stairs of Tiger Stadium during football games hawking bags of peanuts for 25 cents a bag, stopping every now and then to take in the pageantry of LSU football."

His deal includes two retention bonuses of $250,000 and a relocation bonus of $250,000. If he remains at LSU through April 30, 2024, he receives $250,000 and if he stays through April 30, 2025, he receives $500,000. Woodward will pay LSU the remaining base salary and compensation, if he terminates the deal within the first three years.

Woodward will begin by listening a lot to the status of the LSU athletic department, taking in information, processing it and then moving on to deciding what's best for the university. Among his expected first pieces of business include looking at head basketball coach Will Wade's situation, head women's basketball coach Nikki Fargas' future and plenty of other issues across many parts of the athletic department.

"Yeah, first and foremost, and I've used this before, and I've said it before, doctors take a Hippocratic Oath, and part of that is "First do no harm." That's what we have to do at this incredible institution," Woodward said. "Look, we're not going to screw up traditions, we're not going to go about changing things radically. I'm going to listen and I'm going to talk to people, and I'm going to figure out how to continue the success and even how to take it to new and greater levels because you can always do that here.

"So I'll do a lot of listening, and you'll hear all my stupid clichés and metaphors I'm warning you, but one of my favorites is "God gave you two ears and one mouth," and so I'm going to do a lot of listening."

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Scott’s replacement: 

Texas A&M lost its athletics director Scott Woodward to SEC West bunk mate LSU last month, and now it appears the Aggies have paid it forward.

According to a report Thursday from Ben Baby of the Dallas Morning News, Texas A&M will hire Ole Piss AD Ross Bjork to the same post in College Station. The news is expected to become official on Friday morning.

Archived