Gameday Tigers

2019 Defensive Players To Watch, 3 Tigers Make The List

LSUDad

Projecting college football's 25 best defensive players in 2019

ByBRAD CRAWFORD Apr 24, 7:18 AM 

Feared pass rushers. Multi-gap interior mutations. Versatile linebackers. Ballhawking safeties.

It sure would be nice to have one of each on your favorite team's starting defense, wouldn't it?

Continuing our post-spring national position rankings, sorting the nation's top defensive players ahead of the 2019 season is an arduous task considering there's nearly 1,500 starters to choose from on that side of the football.

What goes into creating a subjective 25-player projection five months out from kickoff? This list — like our individual quarterbackrunning back and wide receiver rankings — is determined by a variety of factors including projected numbers relative to team success, impact in respective conferences, NFL probability and expected development from last season to now.

There will be snubs and players ranked in spots you don't agree with, which is part of what makes every preseason power ranking entertaining to discuss. Here's a look at college football's Top 25 defensive players exiting spring in anticipation of the 2019 season:

9110405.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320(Photo: Glenn Beil, USA TODAY Sports)

Just missed the cut: J.R. Reed, S, Georgia; Willie Gay, LB, Mississippi State; Jabari Zuniga, DL, Florida; Joe Bachie, LB, Michigan State; Curtis Weaver, DL, Boise State; Jeff Gladney, CB, TCU; Khaleke Hudson, LB, Michigan; Merlin Robertson, LB, Arizona State; Patrick Johnson, DL, Tulane; Andre Cisco, CB, Syracuse; Xavier McKinney, S, Alabama; JaQuan Bailey, DL, Iowa State; Troy Dye, LB, Oregon; Marvin Wilson, DL, Florida State; Raekwon Davis, DL, Alabama

25. Colin Schooler, LB, Arizona

24. Tipa Galeai, DL, Utah State

23. Xavier Thomas, DL, Clemson

22. CJ Henderson, CB, Florida

21. Isaiah Simmons, S, Clemson

Snubbed on the Pac-12's all-conference list last season, Schooler is the nation's top returner tackler in stops behind the line of scrimmage (21.5) and gave the Wildcats stability at the linebacker position last fall. A sideline to sideline player with a nose for the football, Schooler often shot gaps and stopped opposing running backs in their tracks before the play got started ... The next great defensive lineman at Clemson is likely Thomas, who steps into a starter's role this fall following an impressive freshman campaign as the nation's top-rated edge rusher and No. 3 player overall in the 2018 class per the 247Sports Composite. His best asset is speed and Thomas has future first-round selection written all over him under the tutelage of Brent Venables in Death Valley ... One of the SEC's top corners, Henderson added another element to his game as a sophomore last fall, sticking his face in the fan of opposing run games for Todd Grantham's oft-attacking scheme at Florida. Long and lean at 6-1, 195 pounds, Henderson is a future pro who uses his frame to his advantage in coverage (six career interceptions).

8522433.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320(Photo: Vine / Ben Baby, USA TODAY Sports)

20. Alohi Gilman, S, Notre Dame

19. Terrell Lewis, LB, Alabama

18. Evan Weaver, LB, California

17. Alton Robinson, DL, Syracuse

16. Micah Parsons, LB, Penn State

For Alabama's Terrell Lewis, this is spot in the preseason Top 25 is all about upside. He missed the 2018 season following an ACL tear, the latest unfortunate setback during an injury-riddled career for the 6-5, 255-pound edger rusher. He is expected to be at full strength during fall camp and will be one of the Crimson Tide's most important players this fall ... College football's top returning tackler from a season ago, Weaver managed 158 total tackles for the Golden Bears, second only to Washington's Ben Burr-Kirven. He showed substantial improvement at the linebacker spot and decided to return for his senior campaign to help improve his pro stock ... One of the ACC's top pass rushers, Robinson recorded 17 tackles for losses and 10 sacks for the Orange last fall, harassing quarterbacks throughout Syracuse's impressive season. Robinson forced three fumbles and recovered two others, developing into one of the nation's most feared defenders on third down.

8771383.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320(Photo: Steve Manuel)

15. Kristian Fulton, CB, LSU

14. Yetur Gross-Matos, DL, Penn State

13. Greg Eisworth, S, Iowa State

13. Bryce Hall, CB, Virginia

12. Jaylon Johnson, CB, Utah

Last season, Penn State led all FBS teams with 3.6 sacks per game and finished ranked fourth nationally in tackles for loss per contest (8.2) with Gross-Matos as its leader up front. “In my 24 years (of coaching), this is the best D-end group that I’ve been around," Nittany Lions coach James Franklin said this spring. Gross-Matos led the Nittany Lions with 20 tackles for loss and eight sacks as a 6-5, 265-pound sophomore and Penn State's coaching staff has compared him to former program great Carl Nassib ... Hall led college football in passes defended (24) last season as one of the ACC's most prolific corners. He should be an early-round pick in 2020, alongside Johnson as an island option in the secondary. You can't go wrong with any of the three cornerbacks mentioned inside these five selections.

10. ANFERNEE JENNINGS, LB, ALABAMA

9008749.png?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320 Alabama outside linebacker Anfernee Jennings (Photo: Jason Getz, USA TODAY Sports)

2018 stats: 50 tackles (13 TFL), 5.5 sacks, INT, 11 passes defended, 2 fumble recoveries

Why he made the list: One of the SEC's most disruptive linebackers, the veteran Jennings blossoms into a focal point of Alabama's defensive structure this season as a versatile threat off the edge and in coverage, manhandling tight ends and running backs off the snap. Jennings packs an extreme punch at 6-3, 259 pounds and hits harder than most at his position. He led the Crimson Tide with 11 passes defended last fall and much of that was due to his constant presence in the face of opposing quarterbacks. Jennings does a great job timing his rush, perhaps better than any player in college football, and welcomes contact.

Writes BamaOnline senior analyst Travis Reier: "I don't know if the trio of Anfernee Jennings, Terrell Lewis and Christopher Allen will combine to post 22 sacks and 39.5 tackles for loss like Ryan Anderson, Tim Williams and Rashaan Evans did three years ago, but if they manage to stay on the field together for an entire campaign, I probably wouldn't bet the under either."

9. KENNY WILLEKES, DL, MICHIGAN STATE

8885581.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320(Photo: Mike Carter, USA TODAY Sports)

2018 stats: 78 tackles (20.5 TFL), 8 sacks, INT, 4 passes defended

Why he made the list: The Big Ten's leader in tackles behind the line of scrimmage last season, Willekes diagnoses plays as well as any front seven defender nationally, but the biggest question for him if how he'll perform in his return from injury after breaking his leg in the Redbox Bowl vs. Oregon. Willekes missed all of spring practice in East Lansing as he continued to rehabilitate the injury. A former walk-on, Willekes will be a third-year starter on the Spartans' defensive line in 2019 and arguably their most important player in terms of expected production.

8. PADDY FISHER, LB, NORTHWESTERN

Paddy Fisher(Photo: Wesley Hitt, Getty)

2018 stats: 116 tackles, INT, 4 forced fumbles

Why he made the list: This guy is one of those fun-to-watch throwback linebackers you envision wearing a leather helmet and playing the position at a frenetic pace. The two-time all-conference player fits the Big Ten's smashmouth mantra against the run and is reliable in coverage for coach Pat Fitzgerald. He was instrumental in Northwestern's run to a division title last fall and is arguably college football's most underrated player at his position nationally.

7. K'LAVON CHAISSON, LB, LSU

8832433.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320(Photo: Icon Sportswire, Getty)

2018 stats: 5 tackles, sack (lost to injury after one game)

Why he made the list: Undoubtedly the wild-card in this Top 10, Chaisson returns from a season-ending knee injury suffered in last year's opener as LSU's most talented pass rusher. I've spoken with several close to LSU's program and all have said he moved with fluidity this spring, using his 6-4, 238-pound frame to own 1-on-1 confrontations at the line of scrimmage with speed and quickness. Unlike some hybrid linebackers who can also star in a three-point stance, Chaisson has zero excess weight that should affect his ability to move. Former LSU linebacker Devin White predicted last spring that Chaisson would set the program's single-season sacks record as a sophomore. The early injury nullified that projection, but it could happen one year later. He is my pick to be the SEC's breakout performer in 2019 with All-American caliber numbers.

6. CADEN STERNS, S, TEXAS

Caden Sterns(Photo: Icon Sportswire, Getty)

2018 stats: 62 tackles, 4 INT

Why he made the list: After informally polling three Big 12 insiders for this piece, all agreed that Sterns is the conference's top defender entering the 2019 season, his second with the Longhorns as a five-star 2018 signee. There was immense pressure coming into Austin as the state's top-rated player and No. 19 overall nationally, but Sterns handled sizables expectations with ease and had many analysts asking if his banner season was the Longhorns' best for a freshman in program history. If he stays healthy, Sterns could easily be the first defensive back off the board in the 2021 NFL Draft when he's eligible to leave.

5. DERRICK BROWN, DL, AUBURN

Derrick Brown(Photo: Jim Brown, USA TODAY Sports)

2018 stats: 48 tackles (10.5 TFL), 4.5 sacks

Why he made the list: Returning Brown, Nick Coe and Marlon Davidson as starters from last season's defensive line might make Auburn's pass rush the most talented in the SEC this season. Brown has the look of a cornerstone defensive tackle at the next level, a run-stopper who is powerful and quick enough to cause havoc on passing downs as well. His return to the Plains for another go-around not only benefits the Tigers, but should cement his status as a first-round selection next spring. Brown had two sacks and four total tackles in the first half of Auburn's spring game and is ready to shine this fall as college football's premiere interior defensive lineman.

4. DYLAN MOSES, LB, ALABAMA

9060555.png?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320 Alabama inside linebacker Dylan Moses (Photo: Jason Getz, USA TODAY Sports)

2018 stats: 86 tackles (10 TFL), 3.5 sacks

Why he made the list: I was asked at the end of last season which underclassman in college football could star in the NFL right now and I kept coming back to Moses, Alabama's do-everything inside linebacker. The rising junior is the alpha on a talent-rich unit in Tuscaloosa who now takes over as the voice of Nick Saban's defense at the Mike spot. Moses recorded a team-high 86 tackles at Will last fall, earning second-team All-America honors while emerging as the Crimson Tide's most consistent player at a position that often produces first-round selections. The former 5-star has the perfect frame (6-3, 235) and expansive skill set for future stardom at the next level. No linebacker in college football has more range than Moses.

3. GRANT DELPIT, S, LSU

Grant Delpit(Photo: Jonathan Bachman, Getty)

2018 stats: 74 tackles (9.5 TFL), 5 sacks, 5 INT, 9 passes defended

Why he made the list: A near unanimous choice on preseason All-American teams entering his third season in Baton Rouge, the nation's most versatile safety has no weaknesses in his game as the leader of LSU's star-studded secondary. Delpit will be asked to do more than most safeties this fall by defensive coordinator Dave Aranda, who spent time last summer watching Pittsburgh Steelers film and breaking down how they utilized Troy Polamalu as a ballhawk who was just as talented stuffing the run and setting the edge. Planting Delpit in a new role led to an impressive season and finalist for the 2018 Bronko Nagurski Trophy, given to the top defensive player in the country.

2. A.J. EPENESA, DL, IOWA

A.J. Epenesa(Photo: Kim Klement, USA TODAY Sports)

2018 stats: 37 tackles (16.5 TFL), 10.5 sacks, 4 forced fumbles

Why he made the list: One of the most physically-gifted defensive players to ever play at Iowa, Epenesa has quickly shown why he was rated as the No. 1 strongside defensive end in the 2017 signing class per the 247Sports Composite. He played less than 50 percent of snaps last season and still led the Big Ten in sacks as an easily-identifiable all-conference monster up front who often commanded double teams. Epenesa almost single-handedly owned Mississippi State in the Hawkeyes' Outback Bowl win, pummeling the Bulldogs' wall of blockers with multiple sacks. He could be the first defensive end taken in the 2020 NFL Draft should he decide to turn pro after his junior season.

"I'm focused on my all-around game," Epenesa said this spring. "A better pass-rusher, run-stopper, special teams player, everything. Anything you need I want to be better at everything."

1. CHASE YOUNG, DL, OHIO STATE

8874541.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320(Photo: USA TODAY Sports)

2018 stats: 33 tackles (14.5 TFL), 9.5 sacks, 5 passes defended. 

Why he made the list: The battle for college football's top defensive player is certainly up for debate five months out from kickoff, but Ohio State's 6-5, 265-pound pass rusher fits the mold of budding superstar after a breakout sophomore campaign in 2018. With more snaps, the quick-twitch end led the Buckeyes in tackles for losses and sacks, establishing himself as the team's difference-maker up front. The potential Top 5 pick in the 2020 NFL Draft is dominant in passing situations and continues to improve his game against the run.

“Last year, I had a decent season, but I think I can have a much better season,” Young told Bucknuts in March. “And that’s what I’m trying to work on this spring. Nick (Bosa), he sends me texts every day because he’s still looking at film and I send him film and things like that, and he tells me things I can work on to try and reach my potential.

“So, I’m just trying to definitely refine my technique. Hands, hips, catching offensive linemen’s hands and throwing them. Things like that. So, I’m just trying to refine my technique so I can have a better season this year."

Archived