Gameday Tigers

2021 LSU Football Recruiting, Offers

LSUDad

This is an early look into 2021. Yep, it’s starting. 

Ed Orgeron offers three Georgia teammates

BySHEA DIXON Apr 30, 2:20 PM 

9189119.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320(Photo: 247Sports)

LSU head coach Ed Orgeron dialed up Camden County in Georgia with some good news.

On Tuesday, Orgeron offered verbal scholarships to three Kingsland (Ga.) prospects in 2021 offensive tackle Micah Morris, 2021 athlete Shawn Hardy and 2022 running back Jamie Felix, head coach Bob Sphire tells 247Sports recruiting analyst Rusty Mansell.

Morris is the highest-ranked prospect from the group at the moment, checking in at 6-foot-4, 314 pounds as the No. 8 offensive tackle prospect on 247Sports for the 2021 class. The sophomore is already a top three prospect in the state of Georgia and a Top 50 prospect nationally, and LSU's offer on Tuesday moved his scholarship total up to 19.

Meanwhile, LSU became the first SEC program to offer Hardy a scholarship, whose lone previous offer was in from Purdue. At 6-foot-3 and 190-pounds, Hardy is a standout sophomore who should see his recruiting stock rise as college teams get a look at him over the spring and summer months.

LSU also became the third total offer for Felix, a freshman running back who recently added offers from Purdue and Mississippi State. LSU is now the lone SEC school to have offered Morris, Hardy and Felix all a college scholarship. The 5-foot-10, 190-pounder saw plenty of action as a freshman at Camden County last fall, finishing the year with 121 carries for 738 yards and seven touchdowns on the ground and 15 catches for 179 yards and a touchdown through the air.

That high school recruiting business is sure strange!  Making a verbal scholarship offer, but not a "commit-able" offer is strange.  It indicates some interest, just not too much.  I suppose it serves some purpose or they wouldn't do it. 

I ran into Beryl Shipley in a bar in NO once upon a time.  He was the head basketball coach at USL for 15 years, very successful, until they went after the program for recruiting violations and gave them the death penalty in the '70's.  Beryl never coached basketball again, he was then selling oil field equipment.  He said he never again would have his livelihood dependent on  a bunch of 18-21 year olds!  Too much drama and big egos.  He passed away in 2011, but I enjoyed my talk with him, and he seemed to enjoy talking to someone who remembered.

Archived