Gameday Tigers

Tony’s Seafood In Baton Rouge

LSUDad

The History of Tony's Seafood Market

crawfish.jpgTony's Seafood traces its roots back to 1959 when Donaldsonville, LA native Tony Pizzolato opened a small retail and wholesale produce business in the city of Baton Rouge. Realizing Baton Rougean's love for fresh seafood, Tony added crawfish, shrimp and crabs to his selection of produce. Soon he found the seafood outselling his produce.

In 1972 Tony leased an abandoned service station on Plank Road next to Delmont Village Shopping Center. Through much of Tony's hard work and his insistance that the business only sell products of the finest quality, he, his wife Mary Lee, five sons; Bill, Joey, Mike, Cliff, Tad, and daughter Ceily turned what once was a small fruit stand into a thriving seafood business.

By the early 1980's, long lines of eager seafood buyers were becoming a common sight. Lines grew even longer during the crawfish season, when Tony's Seafood had been known to sell as much as 50,000 pounds of live and boiled crawfish in one day.

fishfry.gifThe business has expanded to include Louisiana Fish Fry Products, Ltd. These diverse products were created by Cajun recipes straight from the kitchen of Tony himself. Together, both businesses employ over 200 people.

cajuntray.gifToday, Tony's Seafood still sells the absolute best live and boiled seafood in Baton Rouge and is the largest seafood market in the Gulf South. Their deli and delicious plate lunches have become local favorites. One taste and you'll know why people from all over keep coming back for more. And with Tony's convenient in-store grocery, one stop is all you need. Fresh produce, condiments, cold beer, soft drinks and snacks...Tony's has everything to make your gathering complete. Stop by or give us a call today and remember, at Tony's Seafood, no order is too large or to small

• 2 months later...

I took my Granddaughter to Tony’s a few weeks back, went in the back with two of the owners. We watch them take in live crabs, cull some, then lift the pot, drop them into the boiler. 

I think their Crawfish Boudin is one of the better. 

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...
On 5/26/2021 at 5:31 PM, LSUDad said:

Catfish tank at Tony’s today. Made a Crawfish run today! 🦞 

I remember that well. I could barely see over the side of the tank. We lived in north Baton Rouge around the time I was 4-6 years old. We'd go to Lake Verret or Bayou Pigeon. If fishing didn't go well, Dad would stop at Tony's and pick a few out of the tank to take home.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LSUfan71 said:

I remember that well. I could barely see over the side of the tank. We lived in north Baton Rouge around the time I was 4-6 years old. We'd go to Lake Verret or Bayou Pigeon. If fishing didn't go well, Dad would stop at Tony's and pick a few out of the tank to take home.

I had to attend a funeral for a big Tiger Fan in Cypress a couple weeks back. One of Tony’s Sons was there also. Got to spend a little time talking with him. 
The funeral had one request, must wear Purple and Gold. It looked like a tailgate party. 

That’s the second funeral I’ve attended within the year as to wearing the P&G! 

• Like 1