Gameday Tigers

2022 LSU Football Commitments

LSUDad

LSU lands commitment from top in-state 2022 QB, Tiger legacy

Andrew Olson | 22 minutes ago

LSU landed a big piece for its 2022 recruiting class on Friday with a commitment from top in-state quarterback and Tigers legacy Walker Howard.

The son of former LSU Jamie Howard, Walker is a 4-star recruit out of St. Thomas More in Lafayette. 247Sports rates him the No. 4 player in Louisiana and No. 62 prospect overall nationally in the class of 2022. He had already collected 20 other offers, including Alabama, Arkansas, Mississippi State, Ole Piss and Texas A&M. Howard is listed as a dual-threat quarterback on 247Sports but graded as the No. 3 pro-style prospect. His recruiting profile notes a 4.76-second 40 yard dash at a regional “The Opening” event in 2019.

00:02

03:44

00:11

The Howard men were in the news in April when they dealt with coronavirus. Walker’s case was described as asymptomatic, but his father said it had interrupted his son’s spring plans as a recruit:

“We had a lot of trips planned to go to different schools for their spring practices,” Jamie said.

• 1 month later...

LSU stakes the first claim for No. 1 recruiting class in 2022

by Steve Wiltfong

7 hours ago

The 247Sports Composite Player Rankings for the 2022 class are loaded for the first time, and with that we see LSU as the first program in that cycle to stake claim for the No. 1 class.

Ed Orgeron and the defending National Champs sit on five commitments including four inside the Top100 in quarterback Walker Howard, safety Bryan Allen Jr., cornerback Khamauri Rogers and safety Bryce Anderson. Four-star receiver and five-star all-name team standout Decoldest Crawford is also in the fold as the Tigers are obviously off and running.

Can they take this thing to the finish line at the top of the 247Sports Composite Team Rankings and never look back? When you look up and down the player rankings as things stand now, that’s not out of the realm of possibility.

Let's start right at the top.

LSU is the early 247Sports Crystal Ball favorite for the No. 2 overall prospect in defensive end Shemar Stewart and it sounds like they’re near the front of the pack for the No. 1 defensive tackle and No. 3 prospect overall in Walter Nolen.

Oregeron and his staff have already connected with many of the guys listed in the Top247. As we continue, Malick Sylla (No. 17 overall) is another coveted defensive lineman as they go up against Texas A&M among others. At linebacker you see LSU already with strong relationships with five-star Shawn Murphy (No. 25 overall) and Daniel Martin (No. 87). The No. 1 cornerback Domani Jackson is as high on the board as anyone as is fellow five-star cornerback Denver Harris. LSU is going to try and take five-star Deyon Bouie out of Georgia and five-star cornerback Jaheim Singletary is another prominent prospect they’ve been in regular contact with.

LSU would take another quarterback if it’s the right two. The No. 1 overall prospect Quinn Ewers qualifies and has been in contact, along with guys like Ty Simpson and Nicco Marchiol. No question Emmanuel Henderson is the major target in the backfield. The No. 1 running back and No. 10 prospect overall talks to Kevin Faulk as much as any coach. The country’s No. 5 running back from in-state in Le'veon Moss is another Faulk and the Tigers will have a great chance to sign. Shazz Preston, Caleb Burton and Armani Winfield are three Top100 receivers LSU is in the thick of it for. The No. 3 tight end in the Top247 in Jake Johnson, you figure the Tigers will be tough to beat there with his brother Max already on the roster. Key names on the offensive line include the country's No. 1 offensive guard in five-star Devon Campbell, the country’s No. 3 offensive tackle Will Campbell and from in-state Emery Jones.

Again, this is just the tip of the iceberg of four and five-star prospects LSU has already talked to in 2022 as Orgeron is already carving out a couple hours a day to talk to the next wave.

LSU is going to have to hold off the likes of Ohio State and Alabama who sit No. 2 and No. 3 here in 2022, but the Tigers at the very least look like a good bet to finish somewhere in the top five.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, LSUDad said:

LSU stakes the first claim for No. 1 recruiting class in 2022

The 247Sports Composite Player Rankings for the 2022 class are loaded for the first time, and with that we see LSU as the first program in that cycle to stake claim for the No. 1 class.

Ed Orgeron and the defending National Champs sit on five commitments including four inside the Top100 in quarterback Walker Howard, safety Bryan Allen Jr., cornerback Khamauri Rogers and safety Bryce Anderson. Four-star receiver and five-star all-name team standout Decoldest Crawford is also in the fold as the Tigers are obviously off and running..

Dang, that's a strong article Dad!  O has had a good reputation as a good recruiter, and changing the offense, going undefeated and winning the natty gives him a set of credentials that he has not had in the past.  Beating InbredGumps was a key, showing the guys in La. that it is possible to do.   You don't have to go to InbredGumps to win an SEC championship.  O seems aggressive about hitting the recruiting trail so far, he does not appear to be resting on his natty.  That's good, because Saban does not rest on his natties, he is out there competing and recruiting hard.  Georgia, Florida, aTm, Auburn are all hitting the recruiting hard.  Man it is hard out there in the SEC.  At least we have a very good recruiter working for us.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Got one:

BREAKING: 2022 DT Shone Washington commits to LSU

By Mike Scarborough
August 12, 2020

LSU's torrid pace in recruiting is not letting up as class of 2022 defensive tackle Shone Washington‍ of New Orleans (La.) Warren Easton has given Ed Orgeron his verbal commitment. 

Washington announced his commitment on Fox 8 WVUE during their sportcast.  

“They were excited, Coach O was Coach O on the phone. He was loud,” Washington said when asked about LSU’s reaction to his commitment decision.

The 6-foot-4, 300-pound Washington did not get to play the 2019 football season as he was ruled ineligible by the LHSAA under transfers rules.

“i was at Easton the first semester of my freshman year then transferred to John Ehret the second semester, then transferred back that year in April,” Washington said. 

Despite missing last season, LSU head football coach Ed Orgeron extended a scholarship offer to Washington in March.

“It means a lot to me coming from west side of New Orleans,” Washington said in a recent interview with TigerBait.com. “We really don’t have many defensive tackles that went there from my side of town.

Washington chose LSU over offers from Alabama, Texas A&M, Florida, Texas, Georgia, USC, Ole Piss, Virginia, Mississippi State and many others.

• Like 1

Killing it! 

BREAKING: Offensive lineman Lucas Taylor has committed to LSU

By Mike Scarborough
August 17, 2020
Tweet

Class of 2022 Mobile (Ala.) St. Paul's offensive lineman Lucas Taylor‍ has committed to LSU. 

The 6-foot-4, 315-pound lineman chose LSU over offers from Texas A&M, Mississippi State, Vanderbilt, Arkansas and many others. 

In a previous interview with TigerBait.com, Taylor said. “LSU is very high on my list as of right now,” he said. “LSU is the closest SEC program to home, great program, great coaching staff, and a game day experience that is unmatched.”

The four-star Taylor gives LSU seven commitments for the class of 2022.  He’s also the first offensive line commitment for the class.  

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Edna Karr WR Aaron Anderson commits to LSU

ByBILLY EMBODY Dec 19, 11:44 AM 

2022 New Orleans (La.) Edna Karr wide receiver Aaron Anderson committed to LSU on Saturday after picking up an offer from the coaching staff earlier in the day, sources confirmed to Geaux247.

Anderson is ranked by the industry-generated 247Sports Composite Rankings as the No. 339 prospect in the nation and No. 50 wide receiver for the 2022 class. 247Sports ranks the three-star prospect as the No. 72 overall wide receiver in the nation and No. 22 overall prospect in Louisiana.

The 5-10, 175-pound prospect has a list of double-digit offers that includes Auburn, Arkansas, Florida State, Kentucky, Miami, Texas, USC and more. He's also a track and field athlete at Karr, competing in the 100 meter dash. In 2019, Anderson helped Karr win a fourth consecutive state championship.

LSU's 2022 class ranks as the No. 3 class in the country and No. 1 class in the SEC, according to the 247Sports Composite Team Recruiting Rankings.

Headlined by four-star Lafayette (La.) St. Thomas More quarterback Walker Howard, the class also includes four-star Beaumont (Tex.) West Brook safety Bryce Anderson, four-star Aledo (Tex.) safety Bryan Allen Jr., four-star New Orleans (La.) Warren Easton defensive lineman Shone Washington, four-star Mobile (Ala.) St. Paul's Episcopal offensive lineman Lucas Taylor, three-star Shreveport (La.) Green Oaks wide receiver Decoldest Crawfordand now Anderson.

• 3 weeks later...

LSU Football Picks Up Commitment from 2022 Cornerback JaDarian Rhym

Rhym becomes seventh commitment for Tigers in 2022 class
GLEN WEST
33 MINUTES AGO

A couple of weeks ago, LSU lost a commitment from its only 2022 cornerback in Khamauri Rogers. But on Friday, the Tigers landed a commitment from Georgia defensive back JaDarian Rhym to get the Tigers' 2022 class back to seven total committed players. 

The growing list of committed players includes quarterback Walker Howard, receiver Decoldest Crawford, guard Lucas Taylor, defensive tackle Shone Washington and safeties Bryce Anderson and Bryan Allen. 

LSU offered Rhym back in August and his commitment is just the latest in what is a stacked recruiting class which the Tigers will hope to capitalize on. 

ADVERTISING

It’s a loaded 2022 class in Louisiana, headlined by offensive tackle Will Campbell, receiver Shazz Preston and running back Le’veon Moss. The grind never stops in recruiting and the Tigers have already put together a strong start to 2022.

The Tigers of course are coming off a fantastic signing class in the 2021 Early Signing Period, signing 20 new players with an emphasis at receiver, defensive line and safety. LSU also has recent commitments from offensive lineman Kimo Makaneole to shore up the offensive line while long time defensive line commit Saivion Jones is expected to sign in February.

ADVERTISING

"These guys are gonna help, the skill is unbelievable, the defensive line we have," Orgeron said. "We feel good about how we're gonna finish. We have some outstanding prospects on the offensive line that we think we're in very good shape with. But we've gotta finish and close strong." 

• Like 1

42M AGO FOOTBALL

Jadarian Rhym is an LSU Tiger

wjg4qwdrugk1evltsnxx

dsjh7xsgislpdk4n1oxc
Chad Simmons • Rivals.com
Recruiting Analyst

1608674108843-5270.jpg
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Valdosta (Ga.) four-star cornerback 

Jadarian Rhym quietly put together a strong offer list in 2020 with numerous SEC schools on it. AlabamaFloridaGeorgiaLSU and Tennessee have been in pursuit of the 6-foot-2, 178 pound defender, and after many strong conversation with Corey Raymond, Rhym is planning to call Baton Rouge home.

"I have gotten close to coach Raymond," said Rhym. "For about the last two months we have been talking every day, and I know he believes in me, he thinks I can play in the NFL and he made me feel wanted, so I was ready to commit."

Rhym said he chose the Tigers over the Crimson Tide, GayTurds and a few others, but the decision was really pretty easy.

"Coach Raymond and LSU has put a lot of defensive backs into the NFL, and it is DBU, so how can I not like it? Coach Raymond is cool, he is a great coach, he feels I have what it takes to play in the NFL, and I believe he and LSU can help develop me to get there.

"I have been liking LSU for a long time. I grew up watching them, I was a huge fan of 

Tyrann Mathieau, they have had so many top defensive backs come through, and I just want to follow in their footsteps.

"I have really been thinking about committing to them for about a month, so this was a decision I thought a lot about. LSU is just the perfect fit for me."

LSU-300.png
hcbmanzjyw8uu4dmna11

NATL
ST
POS

LSU-300.png
VERBAL COMMIT
1/8/2021
LOUISIANA STATE
6'2" 170 LBS CB 2022
VALDOSTA
VALDOSTA, GA

On December 31 is when Rhym gave Raymond the news. The star in south Georgia surprised the LSU coach and now the two are excited about working together in the future.

"When I told coach Raymond about my commitment, he was so excited," said Rhym. "He really wanted me there, so when I let him know I was ready, he was just so happy.

"He has talked to me about my length, how physical I am, how he can really coach me, and we have talked about that stuff a lot. I know he is a great coach, I trust him and I cannot wait to work with him.

"My dream is to get to the NFL and LSU and coach Raymond is going to help me get there. I have a great bond with him, I trust him, he keeps it real with me and I am ready for him to help me on the big stage.

"LSU is the right school for me and me and my family feel is it the perfect fit."

• Like 1

O's strength has been recruiting, and it looks like he has not lost his touch.  I saw in interview with him a few months back, and he said he loves recruiting, and its a year round job.  He said, and the tv crew showed, his lunch hour is packed with phone calls, 5 minutes, 10 minutes with another one.  He said these young players these days, if you're not calling them they think you don't like them anymore, they get mad.  He asked one kid "you're coming to play for LSU, right?", and the kid said "I'm thinking about it".  O shot right back, "you need to decide, we need you".  He works hard at recruiting, and the kids seem to like him.

The recruits seem to be giving LSU a pass on 2020, recognize what they had lost, and think O will get the program back on track in 2021.  But 2021 is probably not our year, more like 2022.  Just my opinion. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Texas CB Marcus Scott commits to LSU

BySHEA DIXON 34 minutes ago 

The LSU football team signed just one cornerback in December, with the Tigers flipping Tennessee commitment Damarius McGhee ahead of Signing Day while losing a longtime commitment in Nathaniel Wiggins to Clemson.

For cornerbacks coach Corey Raymond, that meant starting fast in the 2022 class.

On Wednesday, the Tigers added another early cornerback commitment to the haul.

College Park High (Woodlands, Texas) cornerback Marcus Scott announced his commitment to LSU, which came less than three weeks after he landed a verbal scholarship offer from head coach Ed Orgeron. While the NCAA is still in an ongoing dead period, Scott made a trip on his own dime to LSU's campus this past week, and on Wednesday he went public with his decision to suit up in purple-and-gold in college.

What are the Tigers getting in the 6-foot-2 cornerback who is now entering the spring semester of his junior year?

"Marcus is a tall, rangy kid. He’s a track kid," said College Park coach Lonnie Madison in an interview with The Courierthis season. "He’s done a great job all year defending deep balls and he’s a guy we can count on each week to cover at a high level.”

While track season was cut short a year ago, Scott recorded two personal bests as a junior with a 50.82 400-meter time and 22.72 200-meter dash.

On the field this fall, he logged 27 tackles, 10 pass breakups, two interceptions and a forced fumble as one of the Lone Star State's top junior cornerbacks.

While he's unranked on by 247Sports and the 247Sports Composite, that should change in the near future. LSU became his first college scholarship offer on Jan. 2, and Houston and UNLV quickly followed.

It's the second cornerback commitment for LSU in less than two weeks after the Tigers added four-star JaDarian Rhym out of Georgia on Jan. 8. LSU still has a pair of Top 100 safeties committed in the Lone Star State's Bryce Anderson and Bryan Allen Jr., and the addition of Scott gives the Tigers three defensive back commitments from the state of Texas.

LSU has eight total commitments and the No. 1 class in the Southeastern Conference. The Tigers currently have the No. 3 class in the country on the 247Sports Team Rankings.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, LSUDad said:

While track season was cut short a year ago, Marcus Scott recorded two personal bests as a junior with a 50.82 400-meter time and 22.72 200-meter dash.

I like those track performers in the secondary.  Donte Jackson was a good track guy, and so was Kary Vincent.  Kary didn't have the hip mobility of a great cover corner, but as a fifth DB in a nickel package, he could cover a lot of ground quickly when he saw where the ball was going to go.  I hope Kary gets a good draft rating and his opt-out doesn't come back to haunt him.

Both of his track times are good for high school, but whenever I see a 50 second - 400 meter, I'm impressed.  The 400 meter is very hard to run well.  It's 4 consecutive 100 yard sprints, no stop in between.  To run it right, you just sprint full speed for 400 yards.  The world record is 44.52 seconds.

• Like 1

Dabe: LSU offer marks ‘special moment’ for Newman lineman Bo Bordelon, family

Bo Bordelon Nelson Stewart
Newman offensive lineman Bo Bordelon (left) and coach Nelson Stewart celebrate the LSU football scholarship offer for Bordelon on Tuesday, Jan. 19, 2021. Submitted

Jan 20, 2021 - 1:32 pm

The phone calls came 30 years apart. Both times, Ben Bordelon had his mother nearby. Both times, she happily cried.

“It’s a special moment for the family,” Bordelon said Tuesday, the day his son, Bo, received a football scholarship offer from LSU.

Bo is a still-growing 6-foot-5 offensive lineman who figures to enter his senior season at Newman at 280 pounds after he puts on another 25 of muscle during the offseason.

He takes after his father, a former three-year starting offensive lineman and team captain for LSU in the 1990s. Ben’s LSU scholarship offer came during his senior season at Central Lafourche in 1991, back when then-coach Curley Hallman contacted him by phone.

Ben’s mother, Charlotte Bollinger, was with her son when Hallman called the family home nearly three decades ago, just as she happened to be with her son when Bo called his father Tuesday to tell him about the offer that came directly from LSU coach Ed Orgeron.

Another cherished family moment. Another connection to LSU football.

“It’s pretty awesome,” said Bo, who got called out of Spanish class to speak by phone with LSU offensive line coach James Cregg.

Cregg said he saw Bo’s highlights on Hudl, a website to which high school athletes upload video for college coaches to see. Then Orgeron came into view on the FaceTime call and said he would like for Bo to come to LSU as part of the 2022 signing class, meaning he would not sign with the school until December 2021 at the soonest.

“Our goal is for you to come be a captain one day like your dad,” Orgeron told Bo, said Newman coach Nelson Stewart, who was there when Bo spoke with the coaches.

Although LSU was not the first school to offer Bo a football scholarship — an offer from Tulane came Friday — the Tigers are the first Power 5 program to make such an offer. Surely, they will not be the last.

Bo does not remember a time when he did not play football. He wore full pads around the house and his father showed him at a young age how to get in a proper three-point stance. He learned different run- and pass-blocking techniques by the time he had training wheels removed from his bike.

That is not to say he got pushed into the sport. Quite the opposite.

“It’s always been a dream to play college football and one day make it to the NFL,” said Bo, whose father had a brief NFL stint with the San Diego Chargers in the late 1990s.

The LSU program is in a different place now than it was back when Ben played. He remembered how LSU went 2-9 during the season he redshirted as a freshman and then won 10 games as a senior with Gerry DiNardo as coach.

Much of what Bo knows about LSU is centered around championship successes, including the 2019 title won against Clemson in the Mercedes-Benz Superdome — a game he attended with family.

He attended most home games while growing up, sometimes getting to run around the field before games.

Bo’s older sister, Brooke, is an LSU freshman who plans to study law.

Bo's younger brother, Brett, will be a Newman freshman next season and hopes to play beside Bo on the varsity this fall.

“He’s a big one too,” Ben said.

Bo also counts LSU-committed quarterback Walker Howard of St. Thomas More among his buddies. Howard, the son of former LSU quarterback Jamie Howard, plans to be part of the 2022 class.

Certainly, the LSU scholarship is a special one for the Bordelon family. But his recruitment is not complete.

Bo has another season of high school football to play as Arch Manning's blind-side protector.

“Even if I decide not to go there, LSU will always be a special place in my heart,” Bo said. “We’ll see how the recruiting trail goes.”

For now, he has other pressing matters. Asked what he did after he got off the phone with Orgeron, Bo said he went back to Spanish class. He had a project to finish.

Five-star defensive tackle Gabriel Brownlow-Dindy puts LSU in top schools

ByBILLY EMBODY Jan 21, 10:42 AM 

LSU is in the mix for a Top 5 prospect in the country for the 2022 recruiting class. Lakeland (Fla.) defensive tackle Gabriel Brownlow-Dindy included the Tigers in his Top 11 schools, he announced on Twitter this week. The 247Sports Crystal Ball favorite Oklahoma along with Florida, USC, Ohio State, Pittsburgh, South Carolina, Nebraska, Texas A&M, USF and Clemson made the cut for the five-star prospect.

The 6-3, 275-pound lineman ranks on the industry-generated 247Sports Composite as the No. 16 overall prospect in the nation, No. 3 defensive tackle in the country and No. 3 overall prospect in Florida. On 247Sports though, he's the No. 5 recruit in the country, No. 2 defensive tackle nationally and No. 2 overall prospect in the Sunshine State.

Brownlow-Dindy has an idea of when he'd like a decision and is handling the stress of being one of the nation's elite prospects well. He plans a December decision and said all the schools in his group are building strong bonds with him.

A dominant junior season at a longtime Florida power led to offers pouring in from some of the nation's best programs. 247Sports Southeast recruiting analyst compared him to former five-star prospect Ed Oliver in his evaluation last summer.

"Encouraging, well-proportioned build. Up and over 6-foot-2, 270 pounds. Spent part of youth doing Mixed Martial Arts. Posted elite testing numbers for an interior defensive lineman the summer before his junior season. Explodes off the ball with the first-step quickness to invade gaps. Coordinated athlete that doesn’t lose his balance or bearing easily.

5COMMENTS

"Understands how to bend and use leverage. Keeps feet moving and plays with steady energy. Mauling tackler with the grip strength to corral ball carriers. Totaled 29.5 tackles for a loss and 11.5 sacks as a sophomore while playing in the Sunshine State’s second-highest classification. Can win with a simple bull rush at the point of attack, but will also swim his way past blockers.

"Ability to just fire out of his stance and uncoil, however, might be his best pass-rushing attribute. Athletic profile is one of the best in the class of 2022 for his position, but still areas where he can improve his game, like when it comes to disengaging from double teams. Figures to be an impact player in college and someone that’s eventually selected early in the NFL Draft."

• Like 1

LSU offers Top247 DE J'Mond Tapp

ByBILLY EMBODY 32 minutes ago 

LSU extended an offer to 2022 Donaldsonville (La.) Ascension Catholic defensive end J'Mond Tapp on Friday, he announced on Twitter. The 6-3, 230-pound prospect picked up a South Carolina offer last week and has been one of the state's top prospects in the 2022 class for some time.

Tapp ranks on the industry-generated 247Sports Composite as the No. 135 overall prospect in the country, No. 10 weak-side defensive end nationally and No. 8 overall prospect in Louisiana. On 247Sports, the four-star recruit is the No. 169 overall prospect in the country, No. 9 weak-side defensive end nationally and No. 7 overall prospect in Louisiana.

Baylor, Colorado, Georgia, Indiana, Kansas, Memphis, Washington State and others offered the basketball, football and track and field standout. In 2020, he racked up 64 tackles, 13 of which went for loss and 5.5 sacks.

Geaux247's Sonny Shipp offered this takeon the type of prospect Tapp is as he enters the offseason before his senior season. Tapp is oozing with potential, his high school coach told Geaux247.

"While we do not have verified measurables, Ascension Catholic head coach Bennie Saia is a straight shooter and confirmed Tapp was right around the 6-foot-3 mark and tipped the scales recently at 235 pounds … A physical specimen that is a first off the bus kid for even the largest classification in Louisiana.

"Strong at the point of attack but rarely faces anyone with comparable size and strength … Aggressive pass rusher off the edge with the twitch to bend and get around the edge … Above average speed and could also factor in at tight end on the next level, though pass rushers of his caliber are hot commodities … Basketball background has helped with hands and feet … Once he gets a full spring to hit the weight room, he will fill out more, possibly even growing into a smaller, quicker defensive tackle in a 4-3 front."

9COMMENTS

LSU's been on a spree offering Louisiana prospects in 2022, a deep class in the state. Four-star running back TreVonte' Citizen added an offer on Friday while LSU legacy and Isidore Newman lineman Bo Bordelon added an offer this week. Out of state, LSU offered four-star athlete Brenen Thompson and rising linebacker Kip Lewis out of Texas while four-star athlete Omari Kelly added an offer this week. On the offensive line, Miami commitment and Tampa (Fla.) Carrollwood Day School defensive lineman Brandon Cleveland added an offer. Wednesday evening, LSU dipped into Texas to land a commitment from The Woodlands College Park defensive back Marcus Scott.

• Like 1

LSU picks up commitment from 4-star in-state 2022 cornerback

Adam Spencer | 11 minutes ago

The LSU Tigers may have had a subpar 2020 season, but they haven’t let it slow them down at all on the recruiting trails.

On Sunday morning, they landed another player for their 2022 recruiting class, this one a 4-star cornerback out of Lafayette, Louisiana.

As you can see below, Laterrance “LT” Welch announced via Twitter that he was committing to the Tigers and coach Ed Orgeron’s program:

Per the 247Sports composite rankings, Welch is the No. 18 cornerback in the class of 2022 and the No. 9 overall recruit from the state of Louisiana.

The Tigers now have 8 players in their 2022 recruiting class, which currently ranks No. 3 in the nation and No. 1 in the SEC, per 247Sports.

• Like 1

LSU Football Loses Commitment From 2022 Safety Bryce Anderson

Tigers back down to seven committed players in class with Will Campbell decision looming
GLEN WEST
3 HOURS AGO
  •  
  •  
  •  

The 2022 recruiting class took another turn for the purple and gold on Saturday when safety Bryce Anderson announced he'd be decommitting from the program. Anderson becomes the third player in the class to open his recruitment back up, joining fellow safety Bryan Allen and cornerback Khamauri Rogers. 

"What I've learned most is that the recruiting process mirrors life," Anderson wrote. "It's about values and relationships...I want to be certain I'm making the best decision for myself, my future and my family."

In recent weeks, the program has added the commitments of talented players in the secondary like JaDarian Rhym, Laterrance Welch and Marcus Scott. The class remains heavy on talented pieces in the secondary as well as the receiver and offensive line positions. 

LSU now has seven players in the 2022 class with the loss of Anderson, headlined by quarterback Walker Howard and Welch. By adding Welch, the Tigers add to a stacked class out of the Pelican state. Louisiana is filled with elite talent in the 2022 class, including receiver Shazz Preston, running back Le'veon Moss and offensive tackle Will Campbell who the Tigers are hoping to land in this recruiting cycle.

Campbell is set to make his commitment on Saturday at 6:30 p.m. on his Instagram pasge so fortunes could certainly improve for the Tigers if the Monroe native chooses LSU. The Neville High School offensive lineman is good friends with Howard and would take the sting out of losing a talented player like Anderson. 

Of course the Tigers will be looking to fill the final three spots of their 2021 class up over the next few weeks with National Signing Day on the horizon. Louisiana receiver Brian Thomas is just one of the prospects the Tigers could land while a focus on the offensive line is still likely as well.

Hold that Tiger! Will Campbell Commits to LSU

Elite Louisiana prospect in class of 2022 stays with hometown Tigers

usa_today_15273174.0.jpg

Derick E. Hingle-USA TODAY Sports

As the 2021 recruiting cycle draws to a conclusion, the work has only begun for the class of 2022 and LSU added a signature piece to what’s shaping up to be another top-five class.

image.gif.711bbd23b405af3a3699ddb189d18f25.gif

Offensive tackle Will Campbell out of Neville, the No. 2 player in Louisiana, committed to LSU Saturday evening. Campbell is currently rated a four-star player, No. 56 overall in the 247 composite and the No. 6 tackle. Below is Campbell’s evaluation, courtesy of 247’s Gabe Brooks.

Tall with above average length. Wears his mass well and owns terrific frame potential. Active feet set up contact and foster drive-blocking effectiveness. Flashes some nasty as a block-finisher and will take targets to the ground if possible. Displays encouraging movement ability in space that reflects in second-level efficiency. Reaches those second-level targets with relative ease. Combines functional mobility and strength as consistently effective reach-blocker. Arriving impact improved as a junior and also showed in flashes at point of attack. Owns a high ceiling as a pass-blocker thanks to frame and above-average foot quickness. Generally does not allow naturally high center of gravity negatively affect pad level and leverage. Consistency as a puncher can still improve. Also can trust his frame/reach more in initial extension, especially in pass pro. Looks to be among the top 2022 offensive tackle prospects. Projects to high-major level with long-term potential to reach the early rounds of the NFL Draft.

Campbell was a must get for LSU and it appears Ed Orgeron and the coaching staff got their man. Louisiana isn’t known for producing offensive linemen as highly touted as Campbell, the last one that comes to mind being Cam Robinson who of course spurned LSU in favor of Alabama. Fortunately for LSU, Campbell appears to be following the same path as La’el Collins and staying home.

LSU’s 2022 class is currently ranked 4th overall by 247, headlined now by Campbell and St. Thomas More quarterback Walker Howard, Louisiana’s No. 1 player in the class of 2022.

• Like 1