Gameday Tigers

2021 LSU Football Commitments

LSUDad

Edge-rusher Zavier Carter commits!!!!  Same HS as Arden Key.

Now, the Tigers get another tall, long edge rusher out of the Peach State to add to the defensive side of the ball in Baton Rouge, with Carter - who is also a standout basketball player - checking in at 6-foot-4 ahead of his senior season of high school.

Alabama, Georgia and plenty of other top programs had verbal scholarships out to Carter, whose list of offers had climbed above 25 before he decided to shut things down and commit to LSU.

https://247sports.com/college/lsu/Article/LSU-Tigers-commitment-Zavier-Carter-Hapeville-Charter-Georgia-2021-class-146692884/

• Like 1

BREAKING: Four-star LB Zavier Carter commits to LSU

By Mike Scarborough
May 1, 2020

Ed Orgeron and his LSU coaching staff are loading up on defensive talent for the class of 2021 as four-star linebacker Zavier Carter‍ has announced his commitment to the Tigers.

The 6-foot-4, 195-pound Carter from Haperville Charter Carter Academy in Atlanta, Georgia becomes the Tigers eighth commitment for 2021 and the fifth on defense. 

“First, I would like to thank God for blessing me with so many opportunities and for my parents who helped guide me along my path. I would also like to thank my coaches and teammates for being an instrumental part in me playing the game that I love and for all of their support!

“Thank you to my trainers for helping me develop me in the process and BIG UPS to my HCCA family! So with all of that said I will be continuing my education and athletic career at Louisiana State University. Go Tigers!”

Carter committed to LSU over offers from Tennessee, South Carolins, North Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Oregon, Oklahoma, North Carolina and many others.

Former LSU defensive end Arden Key who was a part of the Tigers class of 2015 hails from the same high school.

Last season, Carter visited the LSU campus for the Arkansas game weekend.  Orgeron has been heavily involved in recruiting Carter as he is with all the top prospects on the Tigers board. 

He finished the 2019 season with 41 tackles, 3 tackles for loss and four sacks.

Seven of LSU’s eight commitmentsreside beyond Louisiana’s borders.

OUTSTANDING TIME IN BATON ROUGE!!!!!!!💜💛
GoTigers 🐯

View image on Twitter

• Like 2

Jackpot:

BREAKING: QB Garrett Nussmeier commits to LSU

By Mike Scarborough
May 4, 2020

LSU head football coach Ed Orgeron and the Tiger Football staff got their prized quarterback commitment for the class of 2021 on Monday in Garrett Nussmeier‍.

Nussmier who preps at Marcus High School in Flower Mound, Texas committed to LSU over offers from Texas, Texas A&M, Miami, Georgia and many others.  His relationahip to LSU has been strong throughout his teenage years as he’s camped in Baton Rouge many summers.  

TigerBait video: Nussmeier impresses at LSU camp (premium)

LSU Recruiting: 5-star Maason Smith talks with TigerBait.com about where things stand (premium)

The 6-foot-2, 185-pound Nussmeier finished his junior season with 3,788 yards passing with 38 touchdowns and 10 interceptions. He’s a consensus National-100 prospect and one of the elite “pro-style” quarterbacks in this years class. 

Nussmeier’s mom Christi is originally from Lake Charles and that is where Garrett was born.  He stated in a recent blog post that despite living in Texas he views Louisiana as his home and that his favorite food is crawfish. 

His father Doug Nussmeier played quarterback for Idaho before being drafted by the New Orleans Saints in the fourth round of the 1994 draft.  While at Idaho he was coached current LSU passing game coordinator Scott Linehan.

He’s currently the quarterbacks coach for the Dallas Cowboys.  

With Nussmeier’s pledge, LSU now has nine commitments for the class of 2021.  Eight of the nine commits are from out-of-state.  

BREAKING: Top247 QB Garrett Nussmeier commits to LSU

9753751.jpeg

LSU's red-hot recruiting continued on Monday, landing a quarterback commit for the 2021 class with Flower Mound (Tex.) Marcus quarterback Garrett Nussmeier announcing his commitment to the Tigers.

The four-star quarterback picked the Tigers over offers from Baylor, North Carolina, Penn State, Texas, Texas A&M and others. LSU was first to offer Nussmeier heading into his sophomore season. Fast forward almost two years and now the 6-1, 185-pound quarterback is committed.

First-year LSU passing game coordinator Scott Linehan has worked with and coached his father Doug Nussmeier. Doug is currently a Dallas Cowboys assistant coach after serving as an offensive coordinator at college programs like Alabama, Florida, Fresno State, Michigan and Washington.

"I think when it happened, it was pretty cool," Nussmeier told 247Sports earlier this spring of Linehan's hiring. "We got in touch and we were talking. I think he wants what's best for me because it's almost like having another father as a coach. I think it's the same thing. He would love for me to come play for him. Of course, that's what he wants, but he also wants what's best for me and he wants me to make the right decision."

According to the industry-generated 247Sports Composite, Nussmeier ranks as the No. 103 overall prospect in the country, No. 7 pro-style quarterback in the nation and No. 16 overall prospect in Texas. 247Sports ranks Nussmeier as the No. 199 overall prospect in the nation, No. 10 pro-style quarterback nationally and No. 33 overall prospect in the Lone Star State.

Want the latest news on the Tigers delivered right to your email? Subscribe to the FREE Geaux247 newsletter by clicking here.

9753751.jpeg

247Sports recruiting analyst Gabe Brooks compared Nussmeier to former Syracuse quarterback Tommy DeVito in his recent evaluation towards the tail end of Nussmeier's junior season.

"Adequate height with an average frame. Should be able to get north of 200 pounds," Brooks wrote in the report. "Provides outstanding production against strong competition at Texas 6A level. Accurate passer to all levels. Shows good touch on timing routes and other deep throws outside the numbers. Flashes playmaking ability to make impressive off-schedule throws under pressure.

"Pro-style but quick-footed in the short area and often makes first rusher miss to buy time. Encouraging ability to throw on the run. Physical ceiling may be limited. Ball gets out quickly but can still tight delivery. Occasionally takes unnecessary chances.

"Talented QB with gunslinger mentality and great football pedigree. Among the top Texas QB's in 2021 class. Projects to high-major level with possibility for long-term NFL Draft potential."

In his junior season, Nussmeier completed 288 of 431 passes for 3,788 yards, 38 touchdowns and 10 interceptions.

• Like 2

I watched 2 min. and liked what I saw.  He can throw it 50 yds. with accuracy and proper lead to his usually open receivers.  He put the ball is tight windows (not Joe Burrow tight windows, but he has lot less experience), and he moved to evade a tackler coming in on him, Tom Brady type movement.  Probably not as good a runner as Burrow from what I saw.

LSU gets 2021 commitment from QB Garrett Nussmeier, son of former Saints QB Doug Nussmeier

cfpchamppresser.011520 HS 131.JPG
5e1ddd5e28244.image.jpg?resize=200%2C130

LSU coach Ed Orgeron speaks Tuesday, January 14, 2020, during the champions news conference following LSU's 42-25 win over Clemson in the CFP National Championship Game in New Orleans.

STAFF PHOTO BY HILARY SCHEINUK

LSU football picked up another major commitment Monday as Garrett Nussmeier announced his pledge to the Tigers.

The four-star prospect from Flower Mound (Texas) Marcus who was born in Lake Charles released a two-minute video revealing his decision to pick the reigning national champions over offers from schools like Texas A&M, Texas, Penn State and Baylor.

“I’m heading back to my roots. I’m committed to Louisiana State University. Geaux Tigers!?

Nussmeier (6-foot-2, 182 pounds) is ranked No. 104 on the 247Sports.comrecruiting composite. His recruiting rankings per the three major recruiting sites are:

• 247Sports.com: No. 199 nationally, No. 10 pro-style quarterback and No. 33 prospect in Texas

• ESPN: No. 62 nationally, No. 13 QB overall, No. 7 prospect in Texas

• Rivals: No. 87 nationally, No. 6 pro-style QB, No. 14 prospect in Texas

Nussmeier is the son of former New Orleans Saints quarterback and current Dallas Cowboys quarterbacks coach Doug Nussmeier.

The elder Nussmeier played in New Orleans from 1994-97 and coached quarterbacks for the St. Louis Rams from 2006-07 for new LSU passing game coordinator Scott Linehan, the former NFL head coach who replaced Joe Brady in February when he left to be offensive coordinator for the Carolina Panthers.

5-Star QB Caleb Williams Names Top 3 of LSU, Oklahoma, Maryland

May 4, 2020

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2890085-5-star-qb-caleb-williams-names-top-3-of-lsu-oklahoma-maryland

The Washington, D.C., native is the No. 1 dual-threat QB and No. 6 player in the 247Sports' composite rankings for 2021.

? Will the Nussmeier commitment swing Williams away from LSU?  Lincoln Riley has a good reputation on offense and with QB's.

Edited by houtiger

Monday: Keep an eye on this one. 

Four-star RB Corey Kiner schedules commitment date

• by Steve Wiltfong
  • Apr 15, 7:44 PM
8411754.jpg

Cincinnati (Ohio) Roger Bacon four-star running back Corey Kiner will announce his college decision on Independence Day.

"My family and I have had a discussion," Kiner posted on his Twitter page Wednesday night. "Due to the Coronavirus and the shift in the college football recruiting schedule, we feel that it’s best that I make a decision. Regardless of if I have visited all of my top schools or not, I will be making a commitment on July 4th!"

The 5-foot-10, 210-pound Kiner posted a Top10 in March that included Cincinnati, Florida, Georgia, LSU, Louisville, Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, Purdue and Texas A&M. From that list, the Bearcats, Cardinals have made Kiner a priority. The Nittany Lions are another I'd keep an eye on if they're pushing. Sources mention the Wolverines as well and LSU wants two backs and Kevin Faulk has led the charge on this one.

The 247Sports Composite tabs Kiner as the nation's No. 10 running back. 247Sports National Analyst Allen Trieu compares his style of play to that of Baltimore Ravens running back Kenneth Dixon who was selected in the fourth round out of Louisiana Tech.

"Thickly built with a compact frame. Runs hard and shows good balance and ability to break tackles.Shows burst and accelerates quickly when he gets the ball. Does a good job of quickly finding lanes as well and runs with little hesitation. Has solid change of direction and ability to cut. Not a back that will make as many defenders miss as he will run through arm tackles. Play speed is better than timed or measured speed at this point. Has done well as a return man as well at the high school level. Must continue to work on his top end speed and polish pass-catching skills, but projects as a productive, starting back at the Power Five level and someone who will have an opportunity to play beyond college."

As a junior Kiner rushed for 2,298 yards and 40 touchdowns.

• Like 1

Hit:

BREAKING: Four-star RB Corey Kiner commits to LSU

By Mike Scarborough
May 11, 2020

LSU Hall of Fame running back Kevin Faulk has his first running back commitment since becoming the Tigers running backs coach.

Corey Kiner‍ ‍of Roger Bacon High School in Cincinnati, Ohio has announced his commitment to LSU for the Tigers class of 2021.

• Like 1

LSU football recruiting: Four-star RB Corey Kiner commits to Tigers in 2021 class

Defending national champion LSU started the work week with some big recruiting news on Monday morning. Corey Kiner, a four-star running back and the No. 163 overall player in the Class of 2021, announced on Twitter that he will sign with the Tigers.

The 5-foot-10, 205-pounder from Roger Bacon High School in Cincinnati, Ohio, chose the Tigers over offers from several high profile schools including Ohio State, Texas A&M, Michigan, Penn State and Notre Dame. He is the 10th-ranked running back overall and seventh-ranked running back in the state of Ohio during this recruiting cycle.

Kiner rushed for a whopping 2,298 yards and 40 touchdowns as a junior. Allen Trieu, recruiting analyst for 247Sports, compared Kiner to Baltimore Ravens running back Kenneth Dixon and provided this scouting report.

"Thickly built with a compact frame," Trieu wrote. "Runs hard and shows good balance and ability to break tackles.Shows burst and accelerates quickly when he gets the ball. Does a good job of quickly finding lanes as well and runs with little hesitation. Has solid change of direction and ability to cut. Not a back that will make as many defenders miss as he will run through arm tackles. Play speed is better than timed or measured speed at this point. Has done well as a return man as well at the high school level. Must continue to work on his top end speed and polish pass-catching skills, but projects as a productive, starting back at the Power Five level and someone who will have an opportunity to play beyond college."

Kiner's pledge moves LSU up three spots to No. 12 in the 247Sports team recruiting rankings. He is LSU's 10th running back commitment and first running back in LSU's Class of 2021.

More for this class? 

Could a pair of 5-stars turn into a package deal?

BySHEA DIXON May 6, 11:30 AM 

It's not often that package deals work out in recruiting.

Even when it comes to recruits playing at the same high school and holding the same college offers, when the rubber meets the road, prospects often follow their own path and fit at the college level.

Could that change for a pair of five-star defensive linemen in the 2021 recruiting class?

Maason Smith is a five-star defensive lineman from Louisiana, and he's ranked by the 247Composite as the nation's No. 2 defensive tackle and the top prospect in the Bayou State.

Korey Foreman is a five-star defensive lineman from California, and he's ranked as the No. 1 overall prospect in the entire country.

Foreman was once committed to Clemson, but he reopened his recruitment this offseason with plans to explore all his options.

As Smith and Foreman navigate the recruiting process, they are doing so together.

"Who wants to team with me and Korey Foreman," Smith posted to his social media account this week.

Foreman's response quickly followed.

"Anyone?" he asked.

For the five-star defensive linemen, the Who's Who of college football teams are battling for their commitments, and both see a path where they could play together at the next level.

"We met at The Opening, and I had never heard of him in my life," Smith said. "We were the young ones. We became close because we were all we had those four days. Then the rest is history."

Added Foreman: "When we first went to The Opening, no one really liked us because we were young and no one really respected us as much. Until we had to do one-on-ones, and a whole bunch of other skill positioning stuff, no one really respected us. Me and (Smith), we looked at each other and we caught each other on the same thing."

Since then, it's been a constant line of communication between the No. 1 prospects in Louisiana and California, which bodes well for the team's hoping to land a one-two punch by reeling in both five-stars.

"I talk to him on a daily basis," Foreman said. "I actually have a paper somewhere and on the paper it says, 'Maason and Korey.' It's all the schools that are in our Top 10 that look forward to having me and him play early and put us in the best position to perform at the top level. Me and him have made a chart and we've been just narrowing the schools down one by one. The connection has been amazing."

Added Smith: "Whatever he’s thinking, he tells me and I tell him. We usually don't even talk ball that much."

Smith went on to add that the same colleges are recruiting them both to the point that he could see them winding up on the same defensive line in college.

"Yessir," Smith quickly replied when asked if he envisions their recruitment ultimately landing them on the same roster.

In April, Foreman named a top five of LSU, Alabama, Georgia, Oregon and USC, but in an interview with 247Sports, he added more context to the picture following his decommitment from Clemson.

"Some of those (schools) are in my top five, but I did not put out a top five yet," he said. "Because, of course I want Clemson to be in there as well. I still believe I could still sign with Clemson as much as anyone else. But Clemson did offer more defensive ends since I decommitted. So if one of those defensive ends commits before I put out my top five, then Clemson won't be able to be in my top five.

"That's the only reason I haven't published a top five yet, because I want to see how these (new Clemson defensive end offers) play out their recruitments. Some of those schools are in my top five though, but I don't want to put that out there yet."

There was a run on Crystal Ball predictions last month for Southern Cal, while LSU picked up the most recent prediction for Foreman.

That said, the five-star out of California is hoping to keep fans on their toes as he quietly talks with college coaching staffs around the country.

"I like shocking the world," Foreman said. "I like doing things in a low-key way then popping out. So, we'll see how that goes."

Smith's 247Sports Crystal Ball still favors LSU, and he has yet to trim his list down beyond a Top 10.

But once the NCAA allows recruits to make visits again, more clarity could come with which way Smith and Foreman are both leaning as they prepare for their senior seasons in the fall.

"Maason is coming out here over the summer," Foreman said.

"I plan on taking as many officials as I can with him. I told him it's beautiful out here and there's nothing really wrong with California. I'm doing the best I can to get the opportunity for me to play college football with Maason."

Whether that means staying in California and suiting up for the Trojans or leaving the state to join Smith elsewhere, Foreman is keeping all cards on the table.

"In my head, I'm thinking about how it would be with me, Maason, and (Drake Jackson) all on the USC defensive line, or just me and Maason on the defensive line somewhere."

For LSU head coach Ed Orgeron, the goal is landing the nation's top recruiting class, which means making players like Smith and Foreman a priority. And for Smith, who is Louisiana's top-ranked recruit, that message has been loud and clear from Orgeron - who has also spent time at USC as the program's defensive line coach and later interim head coach.

"I talk with (Orgeron) all the time," Smith said. "Contact has been the same. (LSU's) trying to put my name on this class."

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Hatchertiger said:

It would be great to get both of those defensive lineman. Not sure these "package deals" work very often.

Package deals are usually a 5 star and a not 5 star friend or brother, but two five stars have a chance to work out really well!

• Like 1

More:

LSU football could have a shot at landing nation’s top 2021 recruit

by Zach Ragan13 hours agoFollow @zachTNT

LSU Football helmet (Photo by Don Juan Moore/Getty Images)

LSU Football helmet (Photo by Don Juan Moore/Getty Images)

LSU football, along with every other program in the country, is in hot pursuit of 2021 five-star defensive lineman Korey Foreman.

LSU Football isn’t considered among the top contenders for 2021 five-star defensive end Korey Foreman, but the Tigers might have a shot at landing the elite recruit.

Foreman, 6-foot-4/265 lbs from Corona, CA, is rated in 247Sports’ composite rankings as the No. 1 player in the nation.

The California native recently decommitted from Clemson, mostly because of Dabo Swinney’s strict “no visits to other schools once you commit” policy.

Rivals recently ranked the contenders for Foreman and they have USC and Clemson as the favorites to land the elite defensive end.

But it wouldn’t be wise to rule out LSU.

Fellow five-star defensive lineman Maason Smith (who is close friends with Foreman) told Rivals earlier this month that Foreman was “set on LSU during the new year when Raesjon Davis committed”. Smith then mentioned that Tigers defensive analyst Kenechi Udeze, whom Foreman was close with, left Baton Rouge to become the linebackers coach at Vanderbilt.

The departure of Udeze was the “breaking point” for Foreman according to Smith.

Buy Now!

But it’s not all bad news for LSU.

Smith followed up that statement by saying “he (Foreman) never really clicked with any other coaches like he did him (Udeze), but now that he has to I think he’s definitely looking at LSU heavy.”.

Smith and Foreman would like to play together at the next level. And they’re planning on taking some official visits together (including a visit to LSU).

For now, though, it certainly appears that LSU is behind USC and Clemson.

But with Bo Pelini in the mix on the defensive side of the ball, and the recruiting prowess of Ed Orgeron, it’s certainly that possible that LSU could stun the recruiting world and land Foreman.

And if that happens, it almost certainly means that Smith will follow.

You can’t rule LSU out for anyone at this point, so it wouldn’t be a shock to see the Tigers become a huge factor for Foreman.

• Like 1

A name to keep an eye on:

LSU Football: Ed Orgeron’s brilliant recruiting ploy

LSU football head coach Ed Orgeron (Photo by Wesley Hitt/Getty Images)

LSU football head coach Ed Orgeron (Photo by Wesley Hitt/Getty Images)

LSU football head coach Ed Orgeron is staying a step ahead in the recruiting game.

LSU football head coach Ed Orgeron is one of the best recruiters in college football.

And it’s not because he’s stagnant.

Coach O, despite the reputation he held early in his career, is constantly evolving. He’s always looking for an edge, a way to get better.

We saw that in 2019 with his decision to hire a relatively unknown offensive analyst from the New Orleans Saints named Joe Brady.

Hiring Brady helped revolutionize LSU’s offense. The Tigers would’ve been a good team without Brady, but Orgeron’s decision to stay ahead of the curve meant LSU went from being good to great.

So it shouldn’t be a surprise that Coach O takes the same approach when it comes to recruiting.

This week, The Athletic’s Ari Wasserman wrote a story about Hayes Fawcett, a Louisiana native who happens to be a gifted graphic artist that makes edits for high level recruits.

Buy Now!

Fawcett has made graphics for players like Trevor Lawrence, Chase Young and Derek Stingley Jr.

He knows his way around the recruiting circuit. And he’s built a lot of solid relationships with highly touted players.

Fawcett told Wasserman that recruits trust him, partly because he refuses to divulge information to reporters.

Recently, Coach O made the wise decision to bring Fawcett to Baton Rouge to work in LSU’s recruiting department.

Fawcett, who is also a gifted athlete but didn’t receive any offers from FBS programs (he was going to walk on at Northwestern State, where he had an academic scholarship), accepted Orgeron’s offer to work for the Tigers.

This is another shrewd move by Orgeron — something that’s becoming quite common for him these days.

Who knows how this move will pay off. But brining in a 19 year old who has built strong relationships with recruits all over the country is absolutely brilliant.

And this is a move that comes with zero risk. According to The Athletic, LSU’s compliance department is working with the NCAA to make sure everything with the hire is approved.

Orgeron somehow always finds an edge. He’s always looking at the little details and how he can make LSU better.

That’s why the Tigers steamrolled their way to a national championship last season.

And it’s why they’ll be a threat to repeat as national champs in 2020.

• Like 1

LSU Football: Tigers could have an elite defensive line duo on the way in 2021 class

by Zach Ragan15 hours agoFollow @zachTNT
LSU Football head coach Ed Orgeron (Photo by Wesley Hitt/Getty Images)

LSU Football head coach Ed Orgeron (Photo by Wesley Hitt/Getty Images)

LSU football could be on the verge of landing two of the best defensive linemen in the nation.

LSU football head coach Ed Orgeron is one of the best in the business when it comes to coaching defensive linemen.

And Tigers defensive line coach Bill Johnson is pretty good at it too.

So it’s no surprise that LSU is consistently in the mix for some of the nation’s top defensive linemen.

One of those players is 2021 five-star defensive tackle Maason Smith, 6-foot-5/316 lbs from Houma, LA.

Smith is rated in 247Sports’ composite rankings as the No. 1 player in the state of Louisiana and the No. 2 defensive tackle in the nation. He’s also rated as the No. 20 overall 2021 recruit in the nation.

Suffice it to say, Smith is high on LSU’s list of priorities.

And he’s actually developed a friendship with another highly rated defensive lineman the Tigers are pursuing.

Buy Now!

2021 four-star defensive end Kelvin Gilliam, 6-foot-3/250 lbs from Highland Springs, VA, recently told Rivals that he and Smith keep in communication with each other via text. The two have apparently talked about playing together at the next level.

“He (Smith) and I have talked about how it would be cool to play together and when I got the LSU offer, I definitely had to reach out to him,” said Gilliam.

Gilliam is rated in 247Sports’ composite rankings as the No. 4 player in the state of Virginia and the No. 5 weak side defensive end in the nation.

Smith made some waves earlier this month when he noted that he has a better relationship with current LSU defensive coordinator Bo Pelini than he did with former defensive coordinator Dave Aranda.

The Louisiana native told Rivals that Pelini is “easier to talk to” than Aranda.

Smith is planning to commit and sign during the early signing period in December.

If the Tigers can land both Smith and Gilliam, it would be quite a haul for the defending national champions.

Edited by LSUDad
  • Like 1

BREAKING: Safety Khari Gee commits to LSU

By Mike Scarborough
May 18, 2020

LSU safeties coach Bill Busch continues to crush it on the recruiting trail as he's picked up four-star safety Khari Gee‍ in a battle with Clemson.

The 6-foot-3, 185-pound Gee from Atlanta (Ga.) Woodward Academy tells TigerBait.com that when he visited the LSU campus back in March it felt like home.

“The culture at LSU just seems like it fits me the best,” Gee said. “I had a great time in Baton Rouge when I visited. The coaches showed lots of love.”

Head coach Ed Orgeron is known to be very animated when a prospect gives his commitment.

“Coach O was very excited when I told him the news,” Gee said. 

Busch has a very recent LSU Tiger in mind when he thinks of where Gee will fit in his defensive backfield.

“He sees me sort of like a Grant Delpit type guy because I am able to play back cover,  play in the box and make tackles,” Gee said.

Gee joins Dakota Mitchell‍ as two safeties currently committed to LSU for the class of 2021.  The Tigers now have 11 commitmentswith ten of those being from out-of-state. 

Edited by LSUDad
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, LSUDad said:

LSU Football: Ed Orgeron’s brilliant recruiting ploy

LSU football head coach Ed Orgeron is staying a step ahead in the recruiting game.

LSU football head coach Ed Orgeron is one of the best recruiters in college football.

And it’s not because he’s stagnant.

Coach O, despite the reputation he held early in his career, is constantly evolving. He’s always looking for an edge, a way to get better.

We saw that in 2019 with his decision to hire a relatively unknown offensive analyst from the New Orleans Saints named Joe Brady.

Hiring Brady helped revolutionize LSU’s offense. The Tigers would’ve been a good team without Brady, but Orgeron’s decision to stay ahead of the curve meant LSU went from being good to great.

So it shouldn’t be a surprise that Coach O takes the same approach when it comes to recruiting.

This week, The Athletic’s Ari Wasserman wrote a story about Hayes Fawcett, a Louisiana native who happens to be a gifted graphic artist that makes edits for high level recruits.

It's a good thing about O that he is always looking for a way to get better.  That sounds like a life lesson he learned along the way.  I don't think O is a super smart person.  I think he is a great copycat.  He hears a lot of ideas and suggestions about football, from previous head coaches he has worked for, and he's worked for some good ones.  What is smart about O is that he appears to be able to pick out the most important ideas and not get so set in his ways that would not allow him to implement them.  I like that about O.

Another thing about O that helps him succeed is MONEY.  The LSU program is bringing in a lot of money, and O does not seem shy about spending it.  Look at all those analysts he brought in.  Copied that from Saban, after he saw a copy of the prep notes that Alabama had on LSU.  O didn't invent it, but he saw it was working, he wanted to have it, and he went out and spent a lot of money and he got those analysts.  We don't hear much about them, but the program looks better now than a few years back.  LSU probably has the highest paid pair of coordinators in the nation (if not, we gotta be in the top 5).  It costs a lot to consistently be in the top 5, and O is spending at that level.

Now we get a graphic artist.  I don't know what that is gonna do, but O is willing to try almost anything that he thinks will give him an edge, and he's willing to spend money to do it.

O has exceeded my expectations.

• Like 2

LSU itself, what IT brings to the table is also a factor.  The last 3 HCs have won National Championships.  Only one other school has done that and they have become almost irrelevant.  I have always maintained that as long as we keep most of the top talent in Louisiana at LSU, we will always compete for championships. :LSU:

• Like 2