Gameday Tigers

2021 LSU Football Commitments

LSUDad

2 hours ago, Hatchertiger said:

LSU itself, what IT brings to the table is also a factor.  The last 3 HCs have won National Championships.  Only one other school has done that and they have become almost irrelevant.  I have always maintained that as long as we keep most of the top talent in Louisiana at LSU, we will always compete for championships. :LSU:

Right now, we only have 1 player committed from La. The punter. Talking within, we will have less than 10 from the state. Closer to 8 players. 
Nothing wrong with the state, but better players are showing an interest in the Tigers. 

LSU has to be selective, numbers game. Plus some kids want to play games, leaving the Tigers short. LSU is tired of playing that game. 

Due to the virus, a new way of recruiting is taking place, film, watching a kid if he plays another sport, basketball, track, etc. 

• Like 1

That's a GREAT interview Dad!  I really enjoyed it!  That Bill Busch name keeps coming up in recruiting.  O must look for good position coaches, but I think he must also look for recruiting skills.  That personality, the energy to stay in touch with kids over a season so they stay committed.  I couldn't do that.  It takes a lot of commitment from the coaches to build a champion, and to stay on top of the game.

• Like 1

Another hit:

LSU lands commitment from in-state defensive talent Saivion Jones

SDS Staff | 2 minutes ago

LSU and Ed Orgeron landed commitment No. 12 Wednesday night.

Four-star in-state defensive lineman Saivion Jones (Saint James, La.) committed to the Tigers over offers from Florida, Florida State and Baylor, among others. The 6-foot-5, 240-pound defensive end is ranked as the nation’s No 19 weak-side defensive end and the state of Louisiana’s No. 7 overall prospect for the class of 2021, according to 247Sports Composite Rankings.

“First of all I want to thank God for all of my blessings,” Jones wrote on Twitter. “I want to thank my mother for sacrificing so much to provide for me and my siblings. Although my recruiting process was altered by Covid-19, I want to thank all of the colleges who expressed interest in me. … I always wanted to further my education and football career at a place where my heart led me. Where I felt like family, and where my family and friends are a part of the journey. With that being said, I am committed to the LSU Tigers.”

Jones became the third defensive lineman to commit to the Tigers this recruiting cycle, joining 4-star defensive end Landon Jackson and 3-star defensive tackle Anthony Hundley.

• Like 1

Ed Orgeron feels good about LSU's recruiting class: 'It'll be an elite level class'

SDS Staff | 54 minutes ago

Until 2019’s spectacular season at LSU, Ed Orgeron was known more as a motivator and an ace recruiter than anything else. However, thanks to the incredible 2019 campaign that saw the Tigers finish 15-0 and win the national title, Coach O garnered respect as an on-field coach, too.

He’s always been an elite recruiter who’s relentless on the trail, and 2021 will be no different. Right now, LSU has the nation’s No. 6 overall recruiting class, good for second-best in the SEC behind Tennessee. The Tigers have just 12 commitments, but the guys who have committed are highly-ranked thus far. Despite no 5-stars in the class, 9 4-stars help lead this cycle. The Tigers top committed prospect is California outside linebacker Raesjon Davis.

Orgeron feels good about where things stand right now on the recruiting trail.

“I’m so proud of our assistants and the job that they’re doing,” Orgeron said on 104.5 ESPN Baton Rouge. “These Zoom meetings. Guys like Bill Busch, Corey Raymond, James Cregg, all of our staff throughout the weekend. Players with their parents. It’s like a home visit. Walt Holliday is in there, he’s in charge of our academics, and we give them an extensive plan. It’s working.

“They’re doing a great job and we’re getting commitments from the high-profile players around the country. Obviously, in the state of Louisiana, we’re on our top guys. We feel good about it. I’m excited about the recruiting. I believe it’ll be an elite level class.”

Currently, the NCAA has mandated a dead period for recruiting at least through June 30. Since March, programs haven’t been able to conduct in-person or on-campus recruiting with high school prospects. That’s certainly a different landscape than at anytime before.

Of the Tigers 12 commitments, just 2 are from the state of Louisiana. Several big-time in-state players are still on the board — the top 5 in the state, and this class should certainly be elite-level when the ink dries.

• Like 1

Peyton Todd ranked No. 1 punter in America

ByBILLY EMBODY May 21, 6:05 AM 

2021 West Monroe (La.) punter Peyton Todd landed the No. 1 punter ranking from 247Sports in the updated Top247 released on Wednesday. The 6-5, 210-pound punter committed to the Tigers all the way back in August.

Todd averaged 42 yards per punt last season for the Rebels, with 20 punts downed inside the the 20-yard line. Todd has twice taken home the Ray Guy Top Prospect Award from ProKicker.com, and he's ranked by the website as the No. 1 punter in the country for the 2021 class. With ProKicker, Todd averaged 47.13 yards per punt with a long of 54 yards. He averaged a 4.31 hang time with a best hang time of 4.76.

Todd is vocal about his love for the Tigers, making the trip down for plenty of games in Tiger Stadium and loving the 15-o season for the Tigers that culminated in a Nation Championship.

"LSU winning the national championship is a special moment, but it was much more than a game, it was source of pride and excitement for the whole state of Louisiana," Todd told 247Sports. "The Tigers got some momentum at the end of the first half and it did nothing but build throughout the rest of the game! I couldn’t be more happy for Coach O and Joe Burrow! Geaux Tigers!"

This week, head coach Ed Orgeronshared how thrilled he is with the way the recruiting is going for the Tigers on Off The Bench with Culotta and T-Bob.

"I'm so proud of our assistants and the job that they're doing," Orgeron said on 104.5 ESPN Baton Rouge. "These Zoom meetings. Guys like Bill BuschCorey RaymondJames Cregg, all of our staff throughout the weekend. Players with their parents. It's like a home visit. Walt Holliday is in there, he's in charge of our academics, and we give them an extensive plan. It's working.

"They're doing a great job and we're getting commitments from the high-profile players around the country. Obviously, in the state of Louisiana, we're on our top guys. We feel good about it. I'm excited about the recruiting. I believe it'll be an elite level class."

• Like 1

LSU football, track has Johnson's attention

BySHEA DIXON 22 hours ago 

LSU has commitments from a pair of Top 100 wide receivers in four-stars Deion Smith and JoJo Earle, but the Tigers are pressing a handful of other wide receivers in the 2021 cycle.

That includes Malcolm Johnson Jr., who trimmed down his list this week from 25-plus offers to to LSU, Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, Southern Cal, Maryland and Texas. 

The Tigers have made a big push for the Maryland native this offseason, including a virtual Zoom tour earlier this month.

“What they were doing this year was crazy,” Johnson told 247Sports. “I think one of their receivers (Justin Jefferson) had 110 catches. It’s crazy. Another (Ja'Marr Chase) had close to 100. They pass a lot, too, which is very attractive to a receiver.”

The 6-foot-1, 185-pound Johnson, who is also an elite sprinter and will run track in college, said the “schools that are talking to me the most” are LSU, Alabama, Auburn, South Carolina, Tennessee, Florida and Oklahoma.

“I am definitely still looking at track and doing both,” Johnson said. “I have a feeling I am going to have to pick one or the other when I get deeper into college.

“I haven’t taken any visits, so I am going to have to use some of these virtual visits to get a feel to narrow it down.”

Johnson has some impressive testing numbers, with plenty of verified track times to boot.

He has run sprints internationally in places such as Cuba and Iceland. He ran a 10.50 100-meter and the 200 meter in 21.37 as a sophomore. He had an unofficial 10.38 in the 100 this spring and clocked the 55-meter dash in 6.26 seconds during the winter indoor track season.

“I feel like I'm very versatile. There's not a lot of players that are this big and run like they're 5'7", 5’8”,” Johnson said. “[I can] play inside and outside, jet sweeps and things like that, even maybe in the backfield.”

At 6-foot-1, 185 pounds, Johnson is rated the No. 38 wide receiver and the No. 199 overall player in the country, per the industry-generated 247Sports Composite Rankings.

As for a commitment timeframe, Johnson isn't ready to rush things beyond a top eight.

“I’m definitely not going to commit any time soon,” Johnson on May 4. “I definitely want to visit some schools.”

Here is 247Sports' evaluation of the East Coast talent, with Brian Dohn comparing Johnson to Washington Redskins wide receiver Terry McLaurin.

"Strong frame with good size. Elite speed. Ran 55 meters in 6.26 seconds. Tough to jam at line because of physical strength and speed intimidation. Shows good hand technique and is difficult to re-route. Nearly impossible to catch in open field. Has some elusiveness. Good ball skills. Effective on short routes and deep. Shows ability to high-point ball in traffic. Accelerates well. Gets out of breaks with purpose. Physically ready for college. Needs to work on flexibility getting into route. Becoming more elusive in tight spaces would significantly enhance game. Multi-year starter at high level program. Day 3 NFL draft potential." 

You can check out Johnson's junior season highlights in the video above.

LSU football poised to have the top 2021 recruiting class in the nation

Zach-Ragan_avatar.JPGby Zach Ragan1 d ago

864408046-850x560.jpeg LSU football head coach Ed Orgeron (Photo by Wesley Hitt/Getty Images) +

LSU football could have the top recruiting class in the nation in 2021.

LSU football currently has the nation’s No. 8 recruiting class (247Sports composite), but they could have the No. 1 class by the time February rolls around.

The Tigers only have 12 commitments so far. Every team ahead of LSU has more commitments than the Tigers. As do the two teams directly behind LSU in the rankings (Minnesota and Iowa).

That means LSU has plenty of room to add players to their 2021 class.

And some of the players the Tigers are chasing are highly rated, which could quickly vault LSU to the top of the rankings.

A three-headed monster on the way for LSU football?

I’ve written a lot in recent weeks about five-star defensive end Korey Foreman — the nation’s top-rated recruit — and his interest in LSU.

Foreman and fellow five-star recruit Maason Smith have expressed interest in playing with each other at the next level.

Smith, who is from Houma, LA, is rated in 247Sports’ composite rankings as the No. 2 defensive tackle in the nation and the No. 20 overall 2021 recruit in the nation.

My gut says the Tigers land the Foreman/Smith duo (and here’s why), which would certainly send LSU’s 2021 class up several spots in the recruiting rankings.

But there might actually be a third player that’s attached to Foreman and Smith.

Tristan Leigh, another five-star recruit, recently told Rivals that he’s also talked with Foreman and Smith about playing at the same school.

“I talk with Maason and Korey Foreman. We talk about stuff like that. We feel like all three of us could go somewhere and make a huge impact,” said Leigh.

The Virginia native added “all three of us in the same class, I think that would be pretty overwhelming”.

Leigh, 6-foot-6/285 lbs from Fairfax, VA, is rated in 247Sports’ composite rankings as the No. 3 offensive tackle in the nation and the No. 13 overall 2021 recruit in the nation.

As for Leigh’s interest in LSU?

Leigh, who has visited Baton Rouge twice, told Rivals that he speaks with Tigers offensive line coach James Cregg on a daily basis. And he also noted LSU’s reputation for developing players.

If the Tigers are able to land the Foreman/Smith/Leigh five-star trio, it would likely put LSU right at the top of the rankings with Ohio State (the Buckeyes currently have four five-star recruits committed, no other program has more than one).

And the Tigers obviously wouldn’t be done adding players (it sets up for a tough battle between LSU and Ohio State for the top spot). 
There’s work to be done, but LSU absolutely has a path to landing the top 2021 recruiting class in the nation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LSUDad said:

LSU football poised to have the top 2021 recruiting class in the nation

Getting all three 5* recruits would be fantastic!  But, there's a long way to go.  If we get one, I hope it is Smith as we love to watch our hometown kids succeed.

I remember this big deal, like five top recruits, and we wiffed on all five.  Was Hootie Jones in that bunch (went to InbredGumps, not prominent there).  After that wiff, we signed Jamal Adams, my man crush one year, and IMO the best safety to play for LSU in my memory.  For a young player in the NFL, Jamal has established himself in three seasons with the Jets, all pro and team captain, clearly the best player on their defense.  He is looking for a contract extention with the Jets and they are slow walking Jamal waiting to see how some other deals go down.  Dallas reportedly offered a trade for Jamal during last season, and Jets said no back then.  Just a little update on him.

O seems aggressive on the recruiting trail and I know he will do his best to reel in all three.  We need Smith and want the other two.  I await to see how it turns out.

LSUDad, thanks for keeping up informed!!!!

• Like 1

LSU football creating a new recruiting pipeline in the southeast

by Zach Ragan7 hours ago
LSU football's Tiger Stadium (Photo by Chris Graythen/Getty Images)

LSU football's Tiger Stadium (Photo by Chris Graythen/Getty Images)

LSU football has the inside track to land one of the nation’s top 2022 linebackers.

LSU football recently extended an offer to 2022 four-star linebacker Daniel Martin.

Martin, 6-foot-3/190 lbs from Marietta, GA (Marietta), is rated by 247Sports as the No. 6 player in the state of Georgia and the No. 5 outside linebacker in the nation.

The Georgia native was high school teammates with 2020 LSU signees Arik Gilbert and BJ Ojulari.

“Arik and BJ chose LSU for good reasons….they were my two of my mentors for the past two years. We always pushed each other to do better. It was never about competing against each other,” said Martin to 247Sports recently.

Martin also has offers from Arkansas, Auburn, Georgia and Tennessee, among several others.

A new pipeline for LSU football?

Marietta is one of the top high schools in the southeast when it comes to football talent.

And it appears that LSU is creating a nice pipeline there.

Buy Now!

In the 2020 recruiting class, Marietta produced two five-star players (Gilbert and quarterback Harrison Bailey, who signed with Tennessee), a four-star player (Ojulari) and a high three-star wide receiver (Ricky White, who signed with Michigan State).

That’s a lot of talent from one school in one class.

If LSU can consistently land talent from Marietta, and other nearby high schools in Georgia, then it’s going to make life pretty tough for other programs in the SEC.

The Tigers already routinely land the top talent in the state of Louisiana, which is more than enough to sustain a top program in the SEC.

Adding top talent from Georgia too?

It’s almost not fair.

LSU is on the verge of being THE elite program in college football. It’s time for Alabama and Clemson to move aside.

• Like 1

I don't know that InbredGumps or clemson will step aside, but at least LSU has joined that elite group.

I saw an early first round NFL mock draft for next year, InbredGumps had 5 players lined up for the first round, Waddle, Surtain, our own Dylan Moses, Leatherwood, +1.  LSU just had one, JaMarr Chase.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, houtiger said:

I don't know that InbredGumps or clemson will step aside, but at least LSU has joined that elite group.

I saw an early first round NFL mock draft for next year, InbredGumps had 5 players lined up for the first round, Waddle, Surtain, our own Dylan Moses, Leatherwood, +1.  LSU just had one, JaMarr Chase.

Every year it’s the same thing. How many did we have preseason going in the first round? 
A lot can change in a season, way too much. 

LSU Football: How Ed Orgeron is easily accessible to recruits

by Zach Ragan10 hours ago
LSU football head coach Ed Orgeron (Photo by Todd Kirkland/Getty Images)

LSU football head coach Ed Orgeron (Photo by Todd Kirkland/Getty Images)

LSU football head coach Ed Orgeron isn’t hard to get on the phone if you’re a recruit.

One of the main reasons a recruit commits to a school is their relationship with the head coach, and there’s no head coach who creates better relationships than LSU football‘s Ed Orgeron.

I’ve talked a lot about how genuine Orgeron is as a head coach. That shined through back in May when Coach O talked about how gratifying it is for him to see former players get drafted and get paid “a lot of money”.

It shows that Orgeron truly wants the best for his players, regardless of whether or not they stay all four years at LSU.

LSU football builds the relationships early

Part of the reason that Coach O is able to have these close relationships with players is because he starts building them early.

During the recruiting process, Orgeron doesn’t give players the runaround. He isn’t inaccessible.

In fact, it’s quite the opposite.

2021 four-star safety Andrew Mukuba, 6-foot/185 lbs from Austin, TX, recently spoke with Rivals about his recruitment and his relationship with Orgeron.

Buy Now!

“Coach O, I feel like that’s my guy. I feel like I can call Coach O right now and he’s going to answer and chop it up,” said Mukuba.

The Texas native added “some other coaches, I don’t want to say Hollywood, but you got to get certain people to get to the head coach, but with Coach O I know I can call him right now and we can talk about life and talk football”.

It’s clear from Mukuba’s comments that not every head coach out there operates the same way Orgeron does.

This is part of the reason why players trust him so much. He’s genuine from day one. What you see in the recruiting process is what you get in practice and on game day.

Orgeron genuinely cares about his players. And it seems like every week we’re reminded of how it’s not an act. It’s just who Coach O is.

• Like 1

O is certainly a good recruiter.  His classes seem to be improving in quality as his teams records have improved, showing he can build a good staff and a good football program.

O copied Saban's "analysts" program.  Coaches are going to start copying O's rules for recruiting high schoolers.  Mark it down.  People copy successful policies.

Four In-State Skill Position Prospects That Could Drastically Change LSU Football’s 2021 Recruiting Class

Video resumes in 11 seconds.

Brian Smith

Jun 6, 2020

There’s no shortage of in-state talent for LSU to consider recruiting. Here’s a group of four prospects that could truly bolster LSU’s future rosters.

Sometimes it’s necessary to dive deep into film evaluation to truly know how good a player can be. For the cases of the next four prospects, they are all “three clippers” as I call it. That simply means, after watching three clips, it’s obvious that each prospect holds immense potential and can play for any major college football program. These players should not be considered anything other than big-time recruits.

Can LSU land at least two of these talented prospects? If it does, it can positively impact the 2021 recruiting class.

Brian Thomas, WR, 6-4, 195, Walker (La.) High School

This is a player featured earlier this year by LSU Country, and Tiger fans will likely hear this young man’s name over and over and over again. He lives 30 minutes from LSU, provides playmaking ability, and fits LSU’s wide-open offense quite well. There’s also another key point about Thomas and possibly signing with LSU.

If not LSU, there’s a really good chance he’s going to line up against the Tigers. Alabama and Texas A&M, among many other top-notch programs, would love to sign Thomas. It’s a double whammy for the Tigers if either of the SEC foes sign Thomas. As for his play on the gridiron, he’s the bonafide outside wide receiver that cornerbacks hate in the red zone. 

ADVERTISING

His 6-foot-4 frame is a nightmare during jump balls, back-shoulder fade passes, and anytime defenders press Thomas at the line of scrimmage. Additionally, he’s a long strider in the open field that eats up real estate quicker than most realize. 

LSU appears to be the best bet, but the Tigers will be in for a recruiting battle until the end. Here’s a look at Walker’s junior film.

Sage Ryan, ATH, 6-0, 190, Lafayette (La.) Lafayette Christian Academy

If you sought to find an all-around athlete, Ryan would be a sure-fire recruit to watch. This holds true across the country, not just the state of Louisiana. He’s a legitimate talent at five possible college positions: safety, cornerback, rover, running back, and wide receiver.

Why list so many positions? Ryan already proved he plays smart, possesses the natural physical talent to make lateral moves much smaller players usually make, and he’s very strong for a 190-pound prospect. In short, he could be trained to play almost any skill position. He’s that talented. 

ADVERTISING

Ryan can certainly play safety, but keep in mind he’s still growing. He could absolutely end up at rover, or if one will, the hybrid linebacker position that often lines up over a slot wide receiver.

He’s also capable of moving to offense and being a wide receiver or running back because of his quickness, lateral burst and strength. In short, Ryan, the cousin of running backs coach Kevin Faulk, is just a really good football player.

LSU needs to be able to consistently bring in versatile athletes like Ryan. He would provide a lot of help to the Tigers’ defense because he could move to different positions, and offensively he could do the same. As with Thomas, if Ryan does not come to LSU, he could very well end up playing for a SEC rival. Big-time talent.

Chris Hilton, WR, 5-11, 170, Zachary (La.) High School

This is another young man that can change games. Speed, moves, natural at catching the football, and the ability to play multiple wide receiver positions make Hilton a must get for the Tigers. Like Walker, Hilton lives about 30 minutes from the LSU campus. LSU cannot allow this young man to head to Alabama, Texas A&M, Arkansas, Georgia, etc. 

If LSU can place Hilton next to Walker, who’s the defense going to double team? Good luck. That’s how college football will be played moving forward. The best teams need linemen, yes, but you better be dynamic outside the hashes or you will be lit up like the Fourth of July. 

Hilton simply personifies a spread wide receiver. He’s electric. The film does not lie, nor does anyone need to explain it any further. Just watch the film.

Destyn Pazon, WR, 6-0, 170, New Orleans (La.) Edna Karr

Playing for one of the best programs in the greater New Orleans area, Pazon represents a style of play similar to Hilton. He’s an explosive wide receiver from the outset of his route, and can quickly change direction and make defenders miss within a short-space area. He’s dynamic.

Pazon also could play cornerback, in terms of simply evaluating raw talent. Like with any other prospect, versatility to play multiple positions matters. With Pazon’s playmaking ability, however, it’s hard to envision him playing anything other than wide receiver. 

ADVERTISING

As of right now, LSU is certainly in the hunt. Several other big-name suitors are also in pursuit. If LSU lands Hilton, losing Pazon would not sting as much. Then again, perhaps LSU only plans to sign one of Hilton and Pazon because the Tigers already landed the ultra talented JoJo Earle. The 5-foot-9, 170-pound lightning bolt from Aledo (Texas) High School is one of the nation’s most prolific slot wide receivers and affords LSU to be selective with it’s remaining scholarship allotment. 

Despite what LSU may or may not do, there’s no question that Pazon possesses the talent to make an impact in Baton Rouge. Here’s a look at Pazon’s junior film.

LSU can bring in a handful of in-state prospects that truly change the dynamics of the skill position talent for coach Ed Orgerson and his staff. Considering LSU’s current roster and what it will look like during the course of the next few seasons, it’s impressive to note how much skill position talent currently resides in Louisiana for the class of 2021.

LSU closing out with at least two of these four recruits will be very important. Remember, not only are these talented high school football players living in Louisiana, but these prospects could line up against the purple and gold if they do not sign with the Tigers. High Stakes recruiting indeed.

• Like 1

Florida DB Dakota Mitchell announces decommitment from LSU

SDS Staff | 3 hours ago

The LSU Tigers are down a commitment as of Friday evening for the class of 2021.

Three-star safety Dakota Mitchell (Winter Park, Florida) announced that he’s opening his recruitment back up via Twitter.

00:12
03:44

“First off I want to thank the whole LSU coaching staff for showing me so much love, but I think it’s best for me to take time and really think about where I would want my next home for the next 3-4 years to be so with that being said I will be announcing that I will be decommitting from the Louisiana State University and opening back up my recruitment 100 percent,” Mitchell’s statement read.

The Sunshine State defensive back had been committed to LSU since March 19, 2020; however, things have changed.

Mitchell is ranked as the nation’s No. 28 overall safety and the state of Florida’s No. 69 overall prospect for the class of 2021, according to 247Sports Composite Rankings.

Following Mitchell’s decommitment, LSU now has 11 commitments for the recruiting cycle.

• 2 weeks later...

FYI:

New: It's decision day for Garrett Dellinger.

The nation's No. 12 OT prospect announces his college choice at 11 a.m. CST. 

Here are the final predictions from the @Geaux247 staff. (VIP)

247sports.com/college/lsu/Ar…

BREAKING: Four-star OT Garrett Dellinger commits to LSU

By Mike Scarborough
June 24, 2020

LSU offensive line coach James Cregg is undoubtedly ecstatic as he has landed one of the nation's premier tackles in Garrett Dellinger‍ of Clarkston, Michigan. 

In a video release, Dellinger announced LSU as his college choice over three other finalists, Michigan, Penn State and Ohio State.

Last fall, the 6-foot-6, 290-pound Dellinger visited LSU unofficially for the Arkansas game weekend and he was mightily impressed.

ALL DAY LSU football and recruiting chat, LIVE (premium)

“(Offensive line) Coach (James) Cregg is a great coach, he showed it with getting the Joe Moore award for the (nation’s top) offensive line,” Dellinger said in an interview with the Detroit News. “Their facilities were outstanding. Their locker room with, like, sleeping beds, sleeping pods, that’s unbelievable. Their campus, their dorms and the facility being so close together makes things easy.”

Dellinger is considered to be one of the top-5 offensive tackles in the country.  He is LSU’s first offensive line commitment for the class of 2021 and they are expected to sign as many as four.

LSU now has 12 commitments for the class of 2021.  

Dellinger’s younger brother Cole Dellinger‍ is a class of 2023 offensive lineman who started as a true freshman and has already received offers from Michigan and Michigan State.

• Like 1

Hold that Tiger! LSU reaches into Michigan to land commitment from 4-star offensive lineman Garrett Dellinger 

Michael Wayne Bratton | 1 hour ago

After putting together arguably the greatest season in college football history, LSU’s recruiting footprint has an even stronger ability to pitch elite prospects from around the country. That’s proven to be the case yet again as the Tigers just beat out several Big Ten and SEC powers from one of the top prospects from the state of Michigan.

Four-star offensive lineman Garrett Dellinger announced his commitment to Ed Orgeron’s program on Wednesday, over Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State and Alabama, among many other scholarship offers.

The Clarkston High School standout is rated as the No. 12 offensive tackle in the county and the No. 5 overall prospect from the state of Michigan in the 2021 recruiting cycle by 247Sports Composite Rankings. He’s also listed as a top 80 overall prospect nationally.

With Dellinger committing to LSU, the Tigers now hold 12 commitments in the 2021 recruiting cycle and now have the nation’s No. 9 recruiting class, up from No. 13. LSU’s class remains the No. 3 class in the SEC class rankings for the 2021 cycle.

It’s worth noting that LSU has the fewest number of total commitments (12) of any program ranked in the top 10 of the recruiting rankings. That should give you a great indication of the caliber of prospects committed to LSU and the room for growth the program has when it comes to the 2021 recruiting rankings.

To get an idea of what Dellinger brings to Orgeron’s LSU program, check out his junior season highlight reel with Clarkston High School.

LSU’s 2021 Recruiting Class

Player
Rank/Position
Stars
State
Raesjon Davis
#3 outside linebacker
5-star
California
JoJo Earle
#12 receiver
4-star
Texas
Deion Smith
#14 receiver
4-star
Mississippi
Garrett Dellinger
#12 offensive tackle
4-star
Michigan
Garrett Nussmeier
#8 pro-style QB
4-star
Texas
Landon Jackson
#4 weak side DE
4-star
Texas
Corey Kiner
#10 running back
4-star
Ohio
Zavier Carter
#15 outside linebacker
4-star
Georgia
Saivion Jones
#19 weakside DE
4-star
Louisiana
Khari Gee
#18 safety
4-star
Georgia
Anthony Hundley
#31 defensive tackle
3-star
Florida
Peyton Todd
Not ranked punte

We've said for the last decade that LSU needed to recruit some real tackles, not just guards and move them to tackle.  The tackle position needs a long big guy, but a little on the lean side so they are more athletic than a guard.  Long arms help, so they can get hands on a speed rush defensive end and push him to the outside.  They need quick feet to handle those speed rushers.  If you are going to run a passing offense with five wide receivers, you MUST be strong at offensive tackle, because there won't be a RB to pick up rushers.

Garrett Dellinger, remember that name.  We need a guy like that.  Played basketball, he's athletic.  He wanted to be a tight end, you gotta be athletic.

This sounds like a GREAT get.

I wonder what Moffitt will do with him, what weight he will end up playing at?  6' 6" and 290, he could gain a little, but if you want him quick and athletic, they may not want him to gain too much.

He mentioned Coach Cregg (OL), and I am sure Cregg shown Dellinger the Joe Moore award for the best o-line in the nation last year.  He liked Coach Cregg.  And he liked O, said after talking to O he was ready to go play some football.  Recruiting, Recruiting, Recruiting.  It's happening!

Geaux Tigers!!!

Edited by houtiger
  • Like 1