Gameday Tigers

2021 LSU Football Commitments

LSUDad

15 minutes ago, houtiger said:

6' 3" 215 doesn't sound like a TE to me.  He'd have to grow some...

Schipp said he is expected to play at 235-40. I've never seen him play so I have no idea.

Bech, a hybrid pass-catching tight end, is the second prospect at his position in LSU's 2021 class along with Mississippi three-star 

Jalen Shead. He joins fellow four-star pass-catchers 
JoJo Earle, 
Chris Hilton and 
Deion Smith in this cycle. Bech is the sixth in-state prospect in the fold for LSU as the calendar flips to November.

https://n.rivals.com/news/four-star-te-jack-bech-commits-to-lsu

Edited by Hatchertiger
  • Like 1

BREAKING: Derrick Davis Jr. commits to LSU

ByBRIAN DOHN 14 minutes ago 

Four-star safety Derrick Davis Jr. visited Ohio State and Penn State -- two schools within a few hours of his home -- but it was the school nearly 1,200 miles away that made him feel the most comfortable.

So much so the Monroeville (Pa.) Gateway standout and No. 2 safety in the industry-generated 247Sports Composite decided that is where he will spend his college days. Davis committed to LSU, which he announced Saturday afternoon.

"I just feel like that is the perfect place for me," the 6-foot-1, 194-pound Davis said. "It reminded me of home. The staff really showed a lot of love toward me and my family. They see me doing a lot of big things for their team, for their program."

In addition to the Buckeyes and Nittany Lions, Davis also had Pittsburgh and Georgia in his final five.

Davis liked LSU for a while, particularly the coaching staff and safeties coach Bill Busch, and a trip to campus last weekend solidified his decision.

"I didn't want to miss out on anything because this could potentially be my home," Davis said. "I didn't want to miss out on the opportunity."

Getting Davis out of western Pennsylvania was not an easy thing. Not only does he go to school 20 minutes from Pitt's campus, but he is two hours from Penn State and former Gateway coach Terry Smith, who was there before Davis' arrival but has known him for a while. Smith coaches in the secondary at Penn State.

Also, Ohio State is three hours from Davis' home and he grew up following the Buckeyes closely.

However, Davis' relationship with Busch helped solidify his choice.

"He's just a real great guy," Davis said. "I just love the way he does things. His communication was great with me. That, and he is a cool guy. He is always calling just to check up on me. He was always calling my dad, always trying to call my mom just to see how she was doing.

"It doesn't even have to be about football. It can be about something."

When Davis visited campus last weekend with his mom, the feel of the campus and the city of Baton Rouge, La., made him comfortable.

“I definitely was surprised. Mainly with how diverse it was down there. That is what surprised me the most. The people down there are so nice and they are all about LSU in Baton Rouge. It just felt like home."

• Like 1

The Davis family breaks down LSU's big push

By SHEA DIXONFri Nov 06 2020

Derrick Davis Jr. is 24 hours out from one of the biggest decisions of his life.

Where will he attend college and further his academic and football future?

For Venneasha Davis and Derrick Davis Sr., it’s a decision that hasn’t come without plenty of research, family conversations and phone calls with college coaches. Every corner of recruiting has been explored, and now the Top 100 prospect out of Pennsylvania is ready to reveal the choice.

And from academics to football, there wasn’t a stone left unturned.

Venneasha, a teacher at Colfax in Pennsylvania, is the go-to parent on the academic front. Derrick Sr., an Alabama native who signed with Michigan State in high school, knows the football side like the back of his hand.

“His father knows the football inside and out,” Venneasha said. “I look for the education my son will receive. What is life like outside of football? What does the community look like?”

This past weekend, Venneasha brought Derrick Jr. on one final visit: LSU.

They had not seen Baton Rouge, and with the Tigers joining Penn State and Ohio State in his final three, it was considered a must to get to campus ahead of his decision.

And after more than 48 hours in Louisiana, LSU is suddenly viewed as much more than a dark horse for the nation’s No. 2 safety prospect in the 2021 recruiting class.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hatchertiger said:

They could both start next year.

Based on the play we see this year, it would not surprise me.  I wonder how much Todd Harris injury last year has slowed him?  It seems he is a step slower.  I wonder if he can get that back with another year to heal?  Jacoby will be gone.  And I am sure the opportunity for early playing time is a reason to sign with LSU.

• Like 1

On 11/8/2020 at 3:14 PM, houtiger said:

Based on the play we see this year, it would not surprise me.  I wonder how much Todd Harris injury last year has slowed him?  It seems he is a step slower.  I wonder if he can get that back with another year to heal?  Jacoby will be gone.  And I am sure the opportunity for early playing time is a reason to sign with LSU.

A Scout and I were talking the other day, this name came up. He thought Todd would have done so much more at LSU. Injuries have done much of this. But as always, with many injuries, the mental part gets involved. 

Yes, the verbals of the two Safeties will play a major Part next year. These two, Sting and Ricks, that’s the making of a great backfield. 

Be patient, LSU fans, 2021 isn't that far away ... and the Tigers' recruiting class is loaded

Les East | 6 hours ago

The 2020 season has been a near reversal from 2019 for LSU.

Virtually everything went the Tigers’ way last season as they finished 15-0 and won the CFP championship.

Everything hasn’t gone wrong this season, but much of it has. From key players opting out during the preseason to a terrible performance in a season-opening loss, a COVID postponement against Florida, a losing record midway through the season and a COVID postponement and possible cancellation of the Alabama game Tuesday.

It might appear that the end of the season can’t come soon enough for LSU, but help is on its way.

It won’t arrive until 2021, but aren’t we all just trying to get through 2020 with the hope that 2021 will be better?

The 2-3 Tigers need help. They have commitments from 22 recruits for the Class of 2021. The class is ranked No. 3 in the country, trailing only top-ranked Alabama and Ohio State.

They need help in a lot of places, but they especially need help on defense.

Head coach Ed Orgeron realizes this and he has secured commitments from 13 defensive players.

The only 5-star recruit on the list is safety Sage Ryan, who can bring immediate help to a unit that will lose senior JaCoby Stevens.

If you’ve watched any of LSU’s 3 losses this season, you’ve seen an inordinate number of opposing wide receivers being unguarded as they make big-play receptions. As good as Ryan might be, no single player is going to fix what’s wrong with the secondary.

That’s why the program formerly known as DBU has several more DBs on its list of commitments.

Fellow safety Derrick Davis Jr. is a 4-star player (and the No. 2-ranked safety in the class, behind Ryan). Cornerback Nathaniel Wiggins also is a 4-star. The Tigers are also awaiting the arrival of a pair of 3-start safeties in Khari Gee and Matthew Langlois.

LSU’s defensive problems have not been limited to the secondary. It lost all 4 starting linebackers from the championship team and even the switch from a 3-4 to a 4-3 didn’t mitigate the drop-off in performance from the unit. The one bright spot in the unit has been Jabril Cox, but he’s a graduate transfer.

Three 4-star linebackers will arrive with an opportunity to have an impact – 2 on the outside, Raesjon Davis and Zavier Carter, and 1 on the inside, Greg Penn III. Davis is the No. 3 OLB in the class and just missed being ranked 5-stars. He’s from California power Mater Dei.

The defensive line has been the most productive unit on the defense, but it needs help as well – especially with tackle Glen Logan and end Andre Anthony being seniors.

LSU has commitments from 4 athletic defensive end/outside linebacker types that are all 4-star prospects – Landon Jackson, Naquan Brown, Keanu Koht and Saivion Jones.

Tackle Anthony Hundley is a 3-star recruit who will add depth to the interior.

Orgeron and his staff have continued their efforts to restore the history-making wide receiver corps that was a key to last season’s success.

Justin Jefferson left early for the 2020 NFL Draft and Ja’Marr Chase opted out of this season to focus on the 2020 draft.

Terrace Marshall Jr. has probably been the brightest light on this year’s team and the 2020 recruiting class featured 5-star Kayshon Boutte and 4-star Koy Moore. Marshall is a junior and 2 other key receivers – Jontre Kirklin and Racey McMath – are seniors.

There are plenty of reinforcements on their way in 4-start recruits Chris Hilton, JoJo Earle and Deion Smith as well as 3-star recruit Jack Bech.

The offensive line lost 4 starters from last year’s unit and 2 of this year’s starters – tackle Austin Deculus and center Liam Shanahan – are seniors. So far the Tigers have a commitment from just 1 lineman — tackle Garrett Dellinger, a 4-start recruit.

At the start of this season, Orgeron praised the running backs as being one of the deepest groups on the team and it will get deeper with the arrival of 4-star recruit Corey Kiner.

The Tigers have plenty of young talent at quarterback with freshmen TJ Finley and Max Johnson backing up Myles Brennan. Garrett Nussmeier is a highly-regarded 4-star recruit who will join the competition.

LSU has 2 other 3-star commitments in tight end Jalen Shead and punter Peyton Todd.

Perhaps the Tigers won’t have any more COVID issues. Perhaps they’ll even their record with a victory at Arkansas next week and that’ll start a strong finish.

But, if not, 2021 isn’t that far away, and another loaded class will arrive to help.

• Like 1

The biggest question mark after the season, how many Jr’s and Sr’s leave. Having this free year, allowing this not to count adds to players getting back an extra year. What Sr’s return will be a bigger part. Also the number of Jrs. 

The staff also looks to leave open a few spots, in this class, allowing graduate transfers. 

Looking at some of the Jrs, will be interested to see where they fall into the next NFL Draft. 

• 2 weeks later...

Official: NCAA extends dead period through April 15

By Zach Barnett - 
 November 18, 2020

NCAA.jpg?resize=696%2C392&ssl=1

The NCAA has extended the dead period through April 15, the organization announced Wednesday.

This move has been expected for a while now, but became official today. The move is significant because it means a full calendar year will pass without business-as-usual in the recruiting world.

“The COVID-19 numbers are not trending in the right direction for the Council to allow in-person recruiting and the associated long-distance travel for coaches, prospective student-athletes and their families,” said Council chair M. Grace Calhoun, athletics director at Pennsylvania. “We acknowledge the impact the restrictions are having on student-athletes who dream of being Division I athletes, but we must prioritize the health and safety of current and potential student-athletes and their families, as well as coaches and others on campus. 

In a corresponding move, the NCAA moved to allow all coaches, “full-time school staff members” and even current students to participate in recruiting calls without countable coaches being present. So players, GAs, analysts and QCs are now free to dial away. “This flexibility, proposed by the Football Oversight Committee, includes volunteer coaches in the Football Championship Subdivision,” the release added.

If there’s a silver lining here, it’s that the progress on vaccines mean that mayyyyybe by April 16 coaches will be allowed to hit the road again. But Wednesday’s news confirms that the 2021 class will be recruited entirely via long distance, much of the 2022 class will be recruited the same way, and the 2023 class is now close to following the same path.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Starts:

Anthony Hundley decommits from LSU

• by Billy Embody
  • 7 hours ago
9975107.JPG

2021 Bradenton (Fla.) IMG Academy defensive tackle Anthony Hundleyannounced on Twitter Tuesday that he's decommitted from LSU. The three-star prospect was committed to the Tigers for over a year before backing off his pledge just weeks before the early signing period.

"I would like to thank Coach Orgeron, Coach Bill Johnson and the entire LSU staff for their recruitment of me in this process, however, at this time I have decided to reopen my recruitment and De-commit from LSU," Hundley wrote in the tweet. "I want to make sure I find the place that is best for me, somewhere I can call home. I will be taking the next couple weeks to make this decision and will be graduating and enrolling early. I'm open to everywhere..."

The industry-generated 247Sports Composite ranks the 6-3, 270-pound lineman as the No. 37 overall defensive tackle in the nation and No. 83 overall prospect in Florida. Michigan, South Carolina, Tennessee and others offered since Hundley made his commitment to LSU.

Some word from what I can get, we may only sign 18-19 on early signing day (Dec. 18th). I know we have a number of verbals, some of the verbals will part ways with LSU. Like I said, O and the staff are looking for help right away, JC and Sr transfers. 

5 hours ago, Hatchertiger said:

We need this class to stay in tact and for guys who can to stay and play.

I read we are still in the running for some top flight kids, and they may be indicating to some 3* that they should be looking elsewhere.  It has happened before.  As long as we don't lose kids where we can't improve the class, that would hurt.  Some have asked why are we still recruiting top kids when we only have 3 spots left, and if they want to come, somebody has to drop out of the class.  Maason Smith is a 5*DT from down the bayou and most feel he will go to LSU.  If you add up the top guys we're still after, somebody has to drop out.  I'm just hoping for the best class we can sign.  The big question is of the uncommitted top guys, who will come to LSU.

• Like 1

Naquan Brown decommits from LSU

ByBILLY EMBODY 21 hours ago 

2021 Virginia Beach (Va.) Ocean Lakes defensive end Naquan Brownannounced Thursday on Twitter he's decommitted from LSU ahead of the early signing period later this month. The 6-3, 205-pound pass rusher committed to LSU on July 1 over the likes of Boston College, Miami, Maryland, NC State, Virginia Tech and others. 

"I would like to thank the coaching staff at LSU for offering me the opportunity to play at the next level," Brown wrote. "After carefully weighing my options, I have decided that I will be reopening my recruitment and de-commit from LSU. I wish all the best to LSU football. God bless."

Brown ranks on the industry-generated 247Sports Composite as a four-star recruit, coming in as the No. 226 overall prospect in the country, No. 16 overall weak-side defensive end in the nation and No. 6 overall prospect in Virginia. On 247Sports, Brown is a three-star prospect, ranking as the country's No. 27th best weak-side defensive end and No. 11 prospect in the state of Virginia. 

Back when he made his pledge, Brown said it was the coaching staff and new scheme under defensive Bo Pelini, as well as the tradition that stood out to him.

“I’m going to LSU because the coaching staff showed a lot of love and stayed in touch from when they offered," Brown told 247Sports' Brian Dohn. "I talk to them almost two to three times a week. I like how their 4-3 scheme is set up and I think I will be a big impact on it because of my abilities coming off the edge, and my quickness.

“What I like about their tradition is just how everything’s set down there and how Coach O (Ed Orgeron) and the staff prepare them on and off the field.”

• Like 1

LSU commit Corey Kiner named Ohio Mr. Football

By TigerBait Staff
December 10, 2020

CINCINNATI, Ohio - On Thursday, the Ohio Prep Sports Writers Association in coordination with the Ohio High School Athletic Association announced the winner of the 34th annual Mr. Football award and the 2020 recipient is Roger Bacon senior running back Corey Kiner‍.

“Being named Mr. Football means the world to me,” said Kiner. “I am very honored to win this award not only for myself, but for my school. My father told me that I would do great things in high school football but I would never thought that it would amount to this.”

The LSU-commit helped lead Division V Roger Bacon to its first-ever regional championship in 2020. Kiner delivered knockout blows early and often to his opponents. Of his 35 rushing touchdowns, 28 of them came before halftime, including 18 first-quarter scores. He found the end zone once every 4.9 carries.

“Corey is a one of a kind,” said Roger Bacon head coach Mike Blaut. “He’s a once in a lifetime talent. His skill set is second to none. He is competitive, fast, quick, strong, smart, has great instincts, all the tools a running back needs.”

“Roger Bacon is my family,” said Kiner. “I knew that it would mean a lot more for me to stay here and win with my family. I knew in my heart that if we just kept pushing on, we would eventually turn things around and change the culture.”

That decision paid off. Over the last two seasons, Roger Bacon won 20 games, which are the most in a two-year period in the program’s history. It is also the first time the school has had back-to-back 10-win seasons.

“Corey’s impact on the program has been incredible,” said Blaut. “We could not have asked for a better relationship from the first day he walked on campus. With Roger Bacon being a small school, we constantly hear that athletes should not go here because they won't get college recruited or won't get what they deserve. Corey has destroyed all those notions and achieved everything any player would want.”

Kiner will go down as one of the most accomplished running backs to ever suit up in the Buckeye state. He was named first team All-Ohio twice, second team All-Ohio once and first team All-Southwest District four times. In 43 games, Kiner ran for more than 200 yards 18 times, including four contests of 300-plus yards. He finishes his career with 7,130 yards rushing, 10th most in Ohio history. His 116 rushing touchdowns, 125 total touchdowns and 772 points scored are all good for the third highest totals in the OHSAA record books.

Other finalists for the award included Mason Sullivan, Kirtland, 6-0/206, RB, Senior; Ian Kipp, Mentor, 6-2/215, QB, Sr.; Owen Treece, Van Wert, 5-11/190, QB, Sr.; Reid Carrico, Ironton, 6-3/235, RB/LB, Sr; Lorenzo Styles Jr., Pickerington Central, 6-1/190, WR/DB, Sr.; Peter Pedrozo, Westerville South, 5-11/180, QB, Sr.; Beau Brungard, New Middletown Springfield, 6-0/197. QB, Jr.; Davis Singleton, Byesville Meadowbrook, 6-3/200, QB, Sr. 

Ohio Mr. Football Winners (including college choice):

1987: Buster Howe, RB-DB-K-P, Zanesville, Ohio State

1988: Robert Smith, RB, Euclid, Ohio State

1989: Robert Smith, RB, Euclid, Ohio State

1990: Bobby Hoying, QB, St. Henry, Ohio State

1991: Derek Kidwell, QB-DE, Fostoria, Bowling Green

1992: Marc Edwards, RB-LB, Norwood, Notre Dame

1993: Curtis Enis, RB-LB, Mississinawa Valley, Penn State

1994: Charles Woodson, DB-RB, Fremont Ross, Michigan

1995: Andy Katzenmoyer, LB, Westerville South, Ohio State

1996: Derek Combs, RB-DB-KR, Grove City, Ohio State

1997: Tony Fisher, RB, Euclid, Notre Dame

1998: Ryan Brewer, RB, Troy, South Carolina

1999: Bam Childress, DB-WR-KR, Bedford St. Peter Chanel, Ohio State

2000: Jeff Backes, RB-DB, Upper Arlington, Northwestern

2001: Maurice Clarett, RB, Warren G. Harding, Ohio State

2002: Ben Mauk, QB, Kenton, Wake Forest/Cincinnati

2003: Ray Williams, RB, Cleveland Benedictine, West Virginia

2004: Tyrell Sutton, RB, Archbishop Hoban, Northwestern

2005: Delone Carter, RB, Copley, Syracuse

2006: Brandon Saine, RB, Piqua, Ohio State

2007: Bart Tanski, QB, Mentor, Bowling Green

2008: Erick Howard, RB, North Canton Hoover, Akron

2009: Erick Howard, RB, North Canton Hoover, Akron

2010: Akise Teague, RB-DB-KR, Youngstown Ursuline, Cincinnati

2011: Maty Mauk, QB, Kenton, Missouri/Eastern Kentucky

2012: Mitch Trubisky, QB, Mentor, North Carolina

2013: Dante Booker Jr., LB, Akron St. Vincent-St. Mary, Ohio State

2014: Joe Burrow, QB, Athens, Ohio State, LSU

2015: Keishaun Sims, RB-DB, Massillon Perry, Ashland University

2016: Michael Warren, RB, Toledo Central Catholic, University of Cincinnati

2017: Joey Baughman, QB, Wadsworth, Virginia (Wrestling)

2018: Cade Stover, SS-RB, Lexington, Ohio State University

2019: Evan Prater, QB, Wyoming, University of Cincinnati

2020: Corey Kiner, RB, Roger Bacon, Louisiana State University

• Like 1

Nathaniel Wiggins flips from LSU to Clemson

BySHEA DIXON 3 hours ago 

LSU is just four days from the Early Signing Period, but the commitment list just got smaller in the 11th hour.

On Saturday evening, at halftime of the game against Florida, LSU cornerback commitment Nathaniel Wiggins revealed that he was no longer committed to the Tigers and had flipped to Clemson.

As an early-enrollee, Wiggins was scheduled to sign with LSU on Wednesday before enrolling in January. 

Clemson landed a Crystal Ball prediction to reel in Wiggins on Wednesday, which came in the wake of the Clemson staff missing on a longtime cornerback target in Nyland Green.

Wiggins was LSU's lone cornerback commitment in the 2021 class, though the Tigers have surged on the 247Sports Crystal Ball for Florida four-star cornerback Damarius McGhee, who is set to sign with a college next week.

In mid-October, Wiggins was locked in on the Tigers and spoke with 247Sports about the strength of his LSU commitment.

"It felt great committing to LSU and having that experience," Wiggins said. "It felt like I really accomplished something good in my life. Me and Coach Raymond, we talk every day. He just tells me to stay healthy and start learning some plays and stuff like that. And he's great with helping me and breaking down my plays. He’s like one of my high school coaches. I can send him game film and he talks me about mistakes and how to clean things up.

"My momma started breaking down when she found out I was an All-American, and she was the same way when I committed to LSU. She was just going crazy. She never knew this would have happened. Basketball was my favorite sport, and I played football because I was fast. I wanted to quit so many times, but she kept me going. Now I have all this that I've accomplished."

Now, the Top 100 prospect will suit up for Dabo Swinney and Clemson.

Here is what 247Sports recruiting analyst Greg Biggins said about what Wiggins brings to the field as a two-way player coming out of Westlake High in Atlanta.

"Two-way standout with the skill set to end up at three different positions in college. Is a high end prospect at receiver, corner and safety. He’s a smooth athlete, very skillful and uses his long 6-2 frame to win jump ball battles on both sides of the ball. As a corner, he shows good ball awareness and ball skills, the quickness and change of direction to shadow a receiver and enough long speed to run with some of the faster players down the field. As a receiver, he catches the ball naturally, runs well after the catch and shows good timing on contested 50-50 balls. He has a lean frame well suited to play corner corner but could grow in to a rangy safety where his cover skills would be very affective in coverage. Shows high end instincts and a natural feel for the corner position and that’s probably where his upside is highest. Projects as an impact upper tier Power 5 starter and future mid round NFL draft pick."

• Sad 1