Gameday Tigers

Any Golfers Here

COTiger

Before lower back problems forced me to quit playing, I played for about 40+ years.  When I was single and played a lot I got my handicap down to a 4.  My lowest score was a 73 on the tough Eisenhower course at the Air Force Academy.

Back when they played the Sprint International at Castle Pines I was fortunate to get a job with CBS working inside the ropes as a spotter/scorer.  When you hear an announcer saying player X has 170 yards to the hole and is hitting an 8 iron they were getting that info from guys like me.  And players were hitting an 8 iron from 180 yards in the late '90s.  That's the one thing I don't like about today's game.  The ball is going too damn far.  The only recourse the Tour has is to grow the rough and speed up the greens.

Now that I'm retired I've got plenty of time to watch golf on TV.  Right now, I'm watching the finals of the FedEx cup.  15 million to the winner.  Damn those guys lead a tough life.  :classic_biggrin:

I try to play once a week during spring, summer and fall.  In winter, I don't usually play if its below 50 degrees, or if the course is too wet.  In winter I usually play once or twice a month.  I never reached you skill level.  My usual course was a glorified cow pasture, no trees, no bunkers, no water hazards, and I usually shot 90 - 99.  That course was closed permanently by Hurricane Harvey in 2017.  Now I play at Longwood, harder course, has lots of trees, bunkers and water.  At first I shot 105 - 115.  I have learned some new shots, how to keep a ball low to go under trees, how to get out of the sand.  These days I'm in the range of 95 - 105.  It's not that good, but I don't like to practice, not committed to improving my game, I just go play for fun and I enjoy it.  I get 1 birdie a month on a par 3, and 3 or 4 pars per round.  We won't discuss triple bogey or worse....  I met one guy that I play with once a month or so, he's a 72 year old plastic surgeon, still has his practice so our schedules don't match up that often.

Archived