11 hours ago, Fishhead said:

Offensive MVP - Burrow

Defensive MVP - Chaisson

Special Teams MVP - York

W-L - 11 - 1

Final Rank - 5

Newcomer of the Year - Emery

And....GO

Edited to add:  On defense, Delpit may be the best player.  In terms of driving the defense to efficiency, last year we suffered without a pass rush after Chaisson went down.  If Chaisson can deliver on the pass rush, it can totally change the efficiency of the defense.  We wouldn't have to compromise in other areas like LB or safety, and that would mean less risk.  As good as Delpit is, I think Chaisson can have a bigger impact on the total defensive effort.

10 - 2 is the smart bet.  Talent wise, on paper, looking at recruiting *, LSU has done very well the last few years.  The only team that really out-stars LSU is InbredGumps.  Say we lose to InbredGumps.  Recruiting in the SEC is close.  When you look at the top 15 signing classes, probably half of them are in the SEC.  So, everyone has talent.  That means that on a given day, if you team does not all show up ready to play, you can easily drop a game that on paper you should have won.  In most years, I have seen that happen to LSU a lot.

I picked the record at 11 - 1.  Why?  I think this LSU team is a bit different.  The first thing I would say is we return 15 starters.  Last year we were young, and at spots a little thin depth wise.  We don't have that excuse this year.  This team has good experience and through good recruiting the last 2 years, depth is improved.  Thank you to Rashard Lawrence and Brendon Fehoko for coming back for their Sr. years, I think that will be huge!  The second thing is competence at QB, thanks to Burrow.  We probably have the best passer since Mett, and he's much more mobile.  Burrow is smart enough to read defense, and he has a years starting experience, and he's a 5th year Sr.  Burrow is a leader, and his teammates express confidence in him, and their support for him, and that is an improvement over last year, when they were getting to know him.  The third thing is the offense, one with improved execution in the passing game.  This hinges on a few things, the main one being bringing in Joe Brady.  It shows commitment to the run pass option.  LSU will pressure opposing defenses in ways they traditionally have not.  Defenses will have to cover the whole field.  We return all of our receiver productivity from last year, with another year of maturity and experience.  We lost a good tight end, but I think we can replace him.  Jefferson, Chase and Marshall give us a good set of targets, and we have ample depth backing them up.  I think CEH and Emery will be an upgrade over Brossette and CEH.

I see a set of plusses that LSU has not always enjoyed.  In the past we have lost a lot of early entrants to the NFL, average to below average play at the QB position, and some recruiting deficiencies.

I am thinking these advantages this year will help LSU to not drop a game that we traditionally mess up one a year.  I'm willing to take the optimistic view this year.

Archived