Gameday Tigers

It Was GSU

COTiger

We as fans need to adopt the 24 hour rule. Enjoy it until tonight, but then put it in the rear view mirror.

Let's face it. GSU wasn't a very good football team as evidenced by the lopsided score and huge margin in the stats. It was a nice warm up for us, but now we need to focus on the next task at hand. The Horns at home in Austin. It will require as good an effort to beat them Saturday night.

Geaux Tigers

Agree to a point.  That said...

GSU was a 10 win team in the Sun Belt last season.  GSU put up over 300 yds rushing against the best Alabama rushing defense in modern history in 2015, the one that limited Leonard Fournette to 31 yds and averaged for the YEAR allowing 60 yds rushing per game. GSU beat UF in the Swamp without completing the pass.  GSU was senior laden on defense and they have a CB that'll be taken in the first 3 rounds of the draft. 

Now let's talk about LSU.  Remember when we played Southeastern last year?  La Tech?  Yeah, LSU is good this year, on BOTH sides of the ball.  Delusional to think otherwise.  GSU isn't "air".  GSU is at least on the level of, say, Troy.  Better than Georgia St. that beat Tennessee at Neyland Stadium yesterday.  Likely better than Wyoming that beat Mizzou yesterday.  Hung with friggin Clemson just last season, and based on experience, should be better this year than last. 

I'll take it and celebrate it.  

14 minutes ago, Fishhead said:

Agree to a point.  That said...

GSU was a 10 win team in the Sun Belt last season.  GSU put up over 300 yds rushing against the best Alabama rushing defense in modern history in 2015, the one that limited Leonard Fournette to 31 yds and averaged for the YEAR allowing 60 yds rushing per game. GSU beat UF in the Swamp without completing the pass.  GSU was senior laden on defense and they have a CB that'll be taken in the first 3 rounds of the draft. 

Now let's talk about LSU.  Remember when we played Southeastern last year?  La Tech?  Yeah, LSU is good this year, on BOTH sides of the ball.  Delusional to think otherwise.  GSU isn't "air".  GSU is at least on the level of, say, Troy.  Better than Georgia St. that beat Tennessee at Neyland Stadium yesterday.  Likely better than Wyoming that beat Mizzou yesterday.  Hung with friggin Clemson just last season, and based on experience, should be better this year than last. 

I'll take it and celebrate it.  

Thanks for the history lesson.  I prefer to discuss current events.  That wasn't a very good football team we beat last night.  If Ray Charles was still with us, I think he would agree with me.

Definitely outmanned, no doubt.  A big reason is because LSU is really good.  Forget the offense, but did you see the defense?  I don't care what you think.  That team rushes for 200+ against everyone.  InbredGumps, Clemson (they did it last year when all those guys were juniors and Clemson was the best team in the land with 3 FIRST ROUNDERS on the DL).  

LSU's good.  I've been restraining excitement since 2012.  Until this team gives me a reason, I'll be excited. 

Just now, COTiger said:

I'm going to reserve judgement until I see how we perform against Texas and premier SEC opponents.  Our O line still worries me.

I think that is a valid concern.  I have some reservations about it too, but I am happy with what I saw last nite.

10 minutes ago, dachsie said:

I think that is a valid concern.  I have some reservations about it too, but I am happy with what I saw last nite.

I love how we performed in all 3 phases of the game last night.  But then I go into my reality Keith Jackson "Whoa Nellie" mode and realize as I stated previously that wasn't a very good football team we pounded last night.  Now if we put an ass whipping like that on Texas Saturday night, I'm officially on the bandwagon. 

IconLOL.gif

Icongeauxtigers.png

I'll say this.  You haven't been around here until recently, CO.  Around here, there have been plenty of posts complaining of things that warranted complaint, including, and maybe especially, by me.  I'm not afraid to call a spade a spade even if it's harsh criticism of the team, players, and definitely coaches. 

That said, I'll only do that when I see something to complain about.  Likewise, I'll only heap praise on them when I see something worthy of said praise. 

So, right now...what should I be complaining about?  Nothing.  I know you aren't saying I should be or we should be complaining.  But you're saying we should temper our praise.  Why would we?  There was absolutely plenty worth praising the team, players, and coaches about last night.  So that's what you'll see, from me at least. 

I'm LESS concerned about the OL than I was.  And I'll back it up with a reason. 

I WAS a tad concerned, and have called them the biggest question mark all off season.  I did point out though that the offense style, quick and "multiple", targets all over the field including easy check down options, would probably help the OL since, unlike recent years, we shouldn't be doing any stupid play action from under center with 1 or 2 potential targets in the entire route tree. 

So.......last night MORE than confirmed my thought that this offense would help the OL.  Southeastern nearly killed Burrow last year.  GSU would run Southeastern out of the stadium.  GSU recorded zero sacks and hit him one single time on a complete whiff by Rosenthal.  Our 3rd string LT. 

I think we'll be OK, but do honestly agree the OL is still a question mark.  I just think seeing what we saw last night, which is absolutely the Saints offense (I didn't think it would be but it absolutely is), proves the OL doesn't have to be elite to be better than last season.  The system protects the QB, just like Brees with the Saints...the least sacked QB in the NFL. 

Celebrate the change!  We've spent 10 years begging for it and it's here.  Enjoy!

I'm going to say this for the last time.  I've been following college football for almost 60 years.  Last night was an impressive win.  But it was also nothing more than a glorified scrimmage.  I don't care what GSUs record was last year.  All I care about was what I saw last night.  It looks like we have the talent to do some great things.  Time and more than one game will tell. 

14 hours ago, COTiger said:

I'm going to say this for the last time.  I've been following college football for almost 60 years.  Last night was an impressive win.  But it was also nothing more than a glorified scrimmage.  I don't care what GSUs record was last year.  All I care about was what I saw last night.  It looks like we have the talent to do some great things.  Time and more than one game will tell. 

:yawn:

Difference is, you're comparing LSU to GSU.  Compare LSU to LSU.  

I'll ask, have you seen a game one LSU team come out sharp and focused like that and actually EXECUTE a game plan?  Not recently you haven't. 

Have you seen an LSU offense with multiplicity, spreading the field, check downs, RUNNING SUCCESSFUL SCREENS, keeping the foot on the gas?  No.  Not recently you haven't.  

The defense is another story.  THAT'S where I'll compare LSU vs GSU because I know GSU is a good offense running a system that eats up yards on the ground AND time off the clock.  They were able to do neither Saturday night due to a fast, athletic, and most of all, DISCIPLINED defense that performed flawlessy...in game ONE.  

It was just GSU, but I have seen LSU struggle in years past against opponents we clearly out-talented, especially early in the season.  We only played the starters for a half, and we really didn't need them in that long.  The coaches had the kids ready to play, the team looked focused, and the execution of the new offense was sharp.  Burrow not only has a very good arm, I like his accuracy, but I like his mind.  He seems to read the defense well and knows where to go with it.  There won't be any QB controversy this year, nobody calling for the backup.  Enjoy it this year folks.  This team did all we could ask of it in the opener IMO.

I think (hope) the running back situation works itself out in a couple of weeks, but what it says to me is that right now we don't have a dominant back.  Last year clearly that was Brossette.  Nobody has really emerged yet.  CEH does look like the starter to me.  Then its "the other 4".  I was pleased to see Curry contribute.  Honestly, after game one, I would put Davis-Price #2.  I thought he had a good combination of power and speed.

Maybe T. Marshall really is totally healed from his Sr. year in high school and has returned to form and will be a significant contributor this season.  I hope so.  If we have three bonafide stars at WR, it will not be possible to double cover all three of them and that is going to make it hard on our opponents.

Of course we need to play a tough team to see exactly what we have, but this team left no question marks Sat. night.  In years past, we could not always say that.  I'm going to enjoy this win, and look forward to playing a top 10 team on the road, a BIG challenge, a team that demolished a good Ga. team last Jan. in the Sugar Bowl.

Geaux Tigers!

On 9/2/2019 at 6:24 PM, Fishhead said:

Remember that first drive we missed due to the Arky game going long? 

Deculus had a false start on the first drive. 

Deculus had a hold. Cush was holding, the announcers said. Don’t know if the ref got numbers confused 

Archived