Gameday Tigers

The Ghost Of Joe... LSU Tickets In UTx

LSUDad

Here's why LSU-Texas tickets for the huge game in Austin are so scarce for Tiger fans

BY SHELDON MICKLES | STAFF WRITER

PUBLISHED SEP 4, 2019 AT 2:25 PM | UPDATED SEP 4, 2019 AT 3:44 PM

Texas plays in Darrell K Royal — Texas Memorial Stadium, which seats just more than 100,000.

The Longhorns a .787 win percentage at home: 521 wins, 138 losses and 13 ties.

The atmosphere at DKR has picked up the past few years as Texas' team has improved under Herman. Click here to read more about Texas' recent 

One of the hot topics among LSU fans this week, in addition to the sweltering weather, has been the number of tickets allotted to the school for Saturday's huge game with Texas in Austin.

When the original contract for the home-and-home series was signed back in 2014, the visiting team — LSU in 2019, Texas in 2020 — was supposed to receive 5,000 tickets.

THIS PART

((((((But, according to the contract obtained by The Advocate, the agreement was amended in Dec. 2018 by then-LSU athletic director Joe Alleva and Texas A.D. Chris Del Conte to reduce the ticket allocation to 3,000 each.)))))

Just wait on it: How Joe Burrow's recruitment developed his bond with Texas coach Tom Herman

Of course, the demand for tickets is much greater — partly because the flagship schools from bordering states haven't met in the regular season since 1954. Also, LSU is ranked sixth and Texas ninth for their early showdown.

While Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium's official capacity is listed at 100,119, UT broke ground in May on a $175 million renovation/expansion of the south end zone.

That, UT senior associate athletic director John Bianco wrote in a text to The Advocate, called for the elimination of some seats for the 2019 and '20 seasons while the project is ongoing.

K'Lavon Chaisson vs. Sam Ehlinger: Check out this oral history of an epic state championship

"As a result, we reached an agreement with LSU to reduce the ticket allotment for the visiting school to 3,000 for this year's game in Austin as well as next season's matchup in Baton Rouge," Bianco said.

Can't see video below? Click here.

PlayUnmute

Loaded: 0%

Progress: 0%

Remaining Time -0:54

CaptionsFullscreen

Fans are also upset also about LSU's entire allotment being in the upper deck, but executive deputy A.D. Verge Ausberry, who negotiated the original contract, said this week that UT fans will all be in the upper deck at Tiger Stadium for the Sept. 12, 2020 contest.

The contract that was amended last fall also called for an increase in the payouts to each team because fewer tickets are available.

LSU will be paid $1.5 million instead of $500,000 for this game; Texas will receive the same amount in 2020.

Tickets on secondary markets such as StubHub and Vivid Seats were selling for at least $300-plus per ticket.

image.png

image.png

11 minutes ago, dachsie said:

I heard LSU fans were buying tu season tickets to have a ticket to the game.  Sounds like it was about the price if the stub hub tix.  Then they can sell the others and recoup some money

Why someone would do that to get a seat in the nosebleed section behind the goal line escapes me.  I'll take my wide screen, comfy seat on the couch, and cold beer and snacks that are a hell of a lot cheaper and better than what you will pay in the stadium.

13 minutes ago, COTiger said:

Why someone would do that to get a seat in the nosebleed section behind the goal line escapes me.  I'll take my wide screen, comfy seat on the couch, and cold beer and snacks that are a hell of a lot cheaper and better than what you will pay in the stadium.

because if you sell every ticket except LSU, you might even come out ahead. 

6 minutes ago, Hatchertiger said:

To each his own, I'm going to Austin w/o a ticket. 

I have a niece doing that.  She says she has always been able to buy a ticket at face value at the stadium just before kickoff.  She has traveled to quite a few away games, likes to drink at a bar with other LSU fans so she has her plan B.  She's an LSU grad.

A friend of mine that coaches, called me yesterday and asked if I wanted two free tickets. He knows coaches on the staff. I passed, got a party close to the house. Temps in the 100’s right before game time?

Thursday night I was at a game, never got out of the coaches office, A/C and a spread of food across the hall, I was set. Plus a big screen TV in the office. 

Saturday night LSU VS Ga So. in the Stadium Club, once again, A/C and food. I was good. 

Not going to the Northwestern St /LSU game, invite to the aTm game, so I’ll take my granddaughter to College Station for a game.  

8 hours ago, LSUDad said:

A friend of mine that coaches, called me yesterday and asked if I wanted two free tickets. He knows coaches on the staff. I passed, got a party close to the house. Temps in the 100’s right before game time?

Thursday night I was at a game, never got out of the coaches office, A/C and a spread of food across the hall, I was set. Plus a big screen TV in the office. 

Saturday night LSU VS Ga So. in the Stadium Club, once again, A/C and food. I was good. 

Not going to the Northwestern St /LSU game, invite to the aTm game, so I’ll take my granddaughter to College Station for a game.  

The A&M game is in Baton Rouge this year.

I decided not to go to Austin cause its too dang hot.  100 degrees at kickoff - no thank you

1 hour ago, dachsie said:

The A&M game is in Baton Rouge this year.

I decided not to go to Austin cause its too dang hot.  100 degrees at kickoff - no thank you

I’m talking about the aTm game next weekend, LSU will be playing Northwestern St. aTm will be playing Lamar. I know coaches on both teams, will be sitting with coaches families. I also have an open invite from the owner of Jason’s Deli, to their tailgate party. 

I plan to be at the aTm game in  BTR. 

11 hours ago, Nutriaitch said:

because if you sell every ticket except LSU, you might even come out ahead. 

Exactly. My nephew, a Florida fan living in Mobile has Gump season tix.  Sells them individually and profits. 

Subsequently, I have tix to the LSU/Gump game this year

35 minutes ago, LSUDad said:

I’m talking about the aTm game next weekend, LSU will be playing Northwestern St. aTm will be playing Lamar. I know coaches on both teams, will be sitting with coaches families. I also have an open invite from the owner of Jason’s Deli, to their tailgate party. 

I plan to be at the aTm game in  BTR. 

Well duh - too early in the morning with too little sleep I guess

Archived