Gameday Tigers

Tiger Fans Looking To Take Over Austin

LSUDad

LSU fans expected to take over Austin

BySHEA DIXON 18 hours ago 

The Top 10 matchup between No. 6 LSU and No. 9 Texas is set for 6:30 p.m. on Saturday, Sep. 7 in Austin, Texas.

Darrel K. Royal Stadium will host a sellout crowd, with the recent stadium expansion pushing the seating capacity over 100,00 and making it one of the top 10 largest stadiums in the United States.

LSU fans are no stranger to playing in front of 100,000-plus fans, and the first meeting between the two sides since the Cotton Bowl in 2002.

Nearly 20 years later, the two programs meet again, and the game brings plenty of storylines along with it.

“I think what’s really fun about this too is there’s some really good animosity between these programs," national college football writer Pete Thamel said on this week's Yahoo Sports College Podcast. "Like, the old LSU AD came out yesterday he preferred Ed Orgeron over Tom Herman, and there’s just enough crossover in coaching search, in recruiting, and there’s certainly quite a bit of institutional ego at both places amongst the fan bases where this sets the stage for a good 12 months of hype for the next year’s game in Baton Rouge."

Beyond the showdown on the field, there will also be a nice boost to the weekend's economy in Austin. With the Longhorns set to pack out the city, LSU fans are also expected in large numbers.

That should provide for one of the best game day atmospheres in the country this year among non-conference matchups.

“You give LSU fans a road forum like Austin, Texas, and just forget about it," Thamel said. "You know what I mean? They’re going to drink the town dry. I really am excited to see and feel this weekend the LSU fans. Like, I have a feeling they’re going to show up on Wednesday.

“In terms of pure drinking, I would think LSU is like that Oklahoma team that won like 60 whatever straight games back in the 50’s. I think the LSU fanbase is miles ahead drinking-wise of everybody else.”

Yahoo Sports Columnist Dan Wetzel also chimed in with his thoughts, giving LSU fans a tip of the cap for the ability to balance football and life outside of Saturdays in the fall.

14COMMENTS

“You make a good point about the LSU fans arriving early," Wetzel said. "I don’t know a fanbase that has fans with more money that don’t seem to work. They show up days in advance in like $350,000 RVs. How is this working? How are you guys free all week to roll in in a half million dollar RV and party for week. I mean, God bless you, but what’s the secret.”

The two programs have met 17 times with Texas holding a slim 9-7-1 advantage in a series that dates back to 1896.

LSU fans invade Austin

Default Mono Sans Mono Serif Sans Serif Comic Fancy Small Caps
Default Small Medium Large X-Large XX-Large
Default Outline Dark Outline Light Outline Dark Bold Outline Light Bold Shadow Dark Shadow Light Shadow Dark Bold Shadow Light Bold
Default Black Silver Gray White Maroon Red Purple Fuchsia Green Lime Olive Yellow Navy Blue Teal Aqua OrangeDefault 100% 75% 50% 25% 0%
Default Black Silver Gray White Maroon Red Purple Fuchsia Green Lime Olive Yellow Navy Blue Teal Aqua OrangeDefault 100% 75% 50% 25% 0%

LSU fans take over Austin, Texas
September 6, 2019 at 1:22 PM CDT - Updated September 6 at 6:32 PM 

AUSTIN, Texas (WAFB) - The countdown is on for No. 6 LSU to take on No. 9 Texas in Austin.

The hype has been huge for fans on both sides.

RELATED: 

Default Mono Sans Mono Serif Sans Serif Comic Fancy Small Caps
Default Small Medium Large X-Large XX-Large
Default Outline Dark Outline Light Outline Dark Bold Outline Light Bold Shadow Dark Shadow Light Shadow Dark Bold Shadow Light Bold

LSU fans invade Austin

Tiger fans have found the perfect spot to prepare for the big game.

Archived