Gameday Tigers

Coach O Clears The Air, About No Air

LSUDad

Ed Orgeron confirms LSU did not have A/C in visitor's locker room during Texas game

texaslsu.090819 HS 769.JPG

LSU coach Ed Orgeron takes the field with his players before kickoff against Texas, Saturday, September 7, 2019, at Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium in Austin, Texas.

STAFF PHOTO BY HILARY 

LSU football head coach Ed Orgeron confirmed to media members Monday that the Tigers did not have air conditioning in the locker room Saturday for its game against Texas.

Orgeron said he called Louisiana Tech, Texas' week one opponent, before the game and in anticipation had his team bring extra fans.

According to the official stats, the game-time temperature was 98 degrees. 

"First of all, I called Louisiana Tech, and they told us about it," Orgeron said Monday. "So we did some things in the dressing room that were better. It wasn't great, but it was better. At least we had air in there. They didn't have air. We had some blowers in there. I don't think that caused as much as going out there and having to play 93 plays on defense. I think that had a lot to do with it."

Can't see Tweet below? Click here.

Ed Orgeron said #LSU didn't have air conditioning in the Texas visiting locker room. Talked to La Tech and heard about it. LSU brought some blowing fans. Didn't think it had anything to do with the cramps.

They'll do more IVs at halftime to prevent that from happening again.

Numerous LSU defensive players dealt with cramps and other injuries during the Tigers' win Saturday. By the end of the game, Longhorns fans could be heard booing injuries, believing the players were faking in an attempt to slow down Texas' play.

LSU players who missed at least part of the game because of injury: safety Grant Delpit (returned), defensive lineman Rashard Lawrence (didn't return), linebacker Michael Divinity (returned), defensive back Kristian Fulton (returned), defensive end Glen Logan (didn't return) and defensive lineman Tyler Shelvin (returned).

"Although it was hot, I thought — I think the humidity was like 23 percent," Orgeron said. "It wasn't like Louisiana. But our guys did cramp up in the second half. We talked about it as a staff that we need to get some IVs, more IVs at halftime. Didn't seem like nobody needed one at that time, but to prevent that, I think that more guys will get IVs at halftime, obviously with the doctor's approval."

2 hours ago, COTiger said:

That makes it even stranger when based on everything I've read said no players received IVs at halftime.  That and the fact that the D was on the field for extended periods of time led to the cramping imo.  Hope we learned a lesson.

big key about dehydration. 

once you feel the symptoms, it’s too late. simply drinking will never catch up, an IV is only way. 

so at half they may “feel” fine, but already be close. 

3 minutes ago, dachsie said:

Oh but the TX AD says its working - well that means they cut it off.  NCAA should look into that

It wasn't working for the La Tech game either.  I doubt that the NCAA can dictate to a school how the visitors locker room is ventilated.

2 minutes ago, paducahmichael said:

There will be a reckoning when they visit BR.

They have a year to prepare.  I would imagine that they will have a truck full of portable air conditioners travel from Austin to Baton Rouge in the event they are needed.

35 minutes ago, COTiger said:

It wasn't working for the La Tech game either.  I doubt that the NCAA can dictate to a school how the visitors locker room is ventilated.

They claim there is no problem with it.  So they tampered with it.  That is what they should investigate but as we know, NCAA is useless so it won't happen

20 minutes ago, dachsie said:

They claim there is no problem with it.  So they tampered with it.  That is what they should investigate but as we know, NCAA is useless so it won't happen

Perhaps the Big 12 and other major conferences should guidelines on visitors locker rooms.  Particularly ventilation.

Archived