Gameday Tigers

Is Stingley better than Pat Peterson as a freshman?

houtiger

We don't have too much to go on for Stingley, but they just played a very quality opponent, and Stingley was guarding their best receiver, that Johnson dude, 6' 4" and 220 with experience, and Stingley didn't allow a catch.  On the controversial (at the time) play where they both went up for the ball, Stingley played it as well as could be done.  He's fast, stayed right with Johnson, looked for the ball at the right time, got his hand on the ball to knock it out, against a bigger man.j

I'll admit my memory of PP7 as a freshman is fuzzy, but I do remember him being mature beyond his years, fast and with good technique.  As Fish said, he didn't become the starter until mid season.

Stingley is major impressive, every bit as good as advertised.  He will be very fun to watch for 3 years.  I would give slight edge to Stingley for what he did against the best receiver on a top 10 team in week 2, that's unheard of!

hmmmm, as a freshman only? i think he absolutely has a shot at that. 

he will also have more opportunity as a Fr than PP7 simply by being in a secondary not as deep and experienced as Pat was. 

now being better for a career?  i don’t think it’s fair to Stingley to hold him to that high of a comparison after only 2 games. 

also, PP7 didn’t start returning punts until his Jr year. 

2 minutes ago, Nutriaitch said:

he will also have more opportunity as a Fr than PP7 simply by being in a secondary not as deep and experienced as Pat was. 

damn, just looked at that roster again. SONOFABITCH it was loaded

Chad Jones, Curtis Taylor, Harry Coleman, Peterson, Chris Hawkins, Brandon Taylor, Jai Eugene, Ron Brooks

1 hour ago, Nutriaitch said:

hmmmm, as a freshman only? i think he absolutely has a shot at that. 

now being better for a career?  i don’t think it’s fair to Stingley to hold him to that high of a comparison after only 2 games. 

also, PP7 didn’t start returning punts until his Jr year. 

Yes, as a freshman only.  Agreed, we can't possibly see as far down the road and make a projection of his presumed 3 years at LSU.  Peterson improved quite a bit, and by his Jr. year, he was quite a player.  Him going against Julio Jones, that was a battle!

11 hours ago, Fishhead said:

Thing is. PP showed up barely in time for fall camp because one of his scores was flagged (by urban meyer). Sting has been here since December.  He's so much more acclimated at this point in his career, it's almost an unfair comparison. 

Good point.  But even in the bowl prep workouts that Stingley participated in last Dec., O said if Sting had been eligible, he would have been the starter.  Both guys father's are football coaches, and I remember hearing stories of how PP7's father used to get him up at 6 AM every day to practice his backpedal and turning his hips, before school.  We know that guy was trained harder than almost anyone, and it has paid off for him with a wonderful career and lots of $$$.  Both are great talents.  I never thought I would think this, but so far, I'm even a slight bit more impressed with Stingley.

Archived