Gameday Tigers

Defense issues

Fishhead

No doubt they exist. Nootch and I will cover it in the podcast. Thought I'd throw this out though...

Top 6 teams in the country, defense ypg

Georgia: 243 a game
Ohio State: 253 a game
Clemson: 257 a game
LSU: 302 a game
Alabama: 306 a game
Oklahoma: 353 a game

1 has played a top 10 team with definitely the best offense any of them have played. And played em on the road. 

Oh and Georgia Southern... nearly beat a P5 yesterday. Quite frankly should've. 

And personally, I think ppg is the most important stat. 

LSU 18 ppg given up...while scoring 55ppg.

Just food for thought...

10 hours ago, COTiger said:

I'm waiting to the Florida game to see how our D performs.

Yes, Florida is definitely an offensive juggernaut.  

But seriously, the UF DEFENSE is what I'm waiting to see us play against.  It will easily be our first test from a solid D. 

If we achieve anything resembling what we've been doing on offense, I'll feel real good about the rest of the season. 

But Florida's offense sucks ass.

1 hour ago, Fishhead said:

Yes, Florida is definitely an offensive juggernaut. 

Feleipe Franks out for the year, dislocated ankle.  His backup could have transferred as a graduate and played immediately, but chose to stay at Florida because he grew up a Gator fan and he enjoys Gainsville.  Now he's the starter, and a good QB.

37 minutes ago, Nutriaitch said:

can’t be anything special if he sat behind Franks for 3 years

3 minutes ago, Fishhead said:

This. How good is he if he couldn't beat out that alpaca looking punk?

He did pretty well when he got in the game the other day.  Time will tell I guess.

Here we go...

Yes, unbeaten LSU is No. 4 nationally with an offense putting up points (55 per game) and yards (551.7) at a torrid pace unmatched in Tigers' football history.

So all should be good in Tigertown heading into Saturday's SEC opener at Vanderbilt, right?

Not, according to LSU head coach Ed Orgeron.

"I know a good football team improves every week, and we've got to take the next step this week to get to where we want to go," Orgeron said. "Obviously, we know coming down the road, there will be some very strong opponents coming down the road, and we may run into one at Vanderbilt. 

"When you really look at your roster, you're really looking at evaluating your personnel, you're really seeing, hey, what can we do here? What can we do there? What can we do to get better? Keep pressing on to get better and better and better so we can make improvement throughout the year."

Three areas Orgeron has targeted as needing improvement are pass rush, creating turnovers and increasing yards per carry in the running game.

While LSU has eight sacks so far, the Tigers are 10th in the SEC in pass defense allowing 221.7 yards per game and is last in the league with Auburn in turnovers created (2). The lack of consistent pass rush and some misalignments in the secondary are the culprits.

"The pass rush will cost us," Orgeron said. "We're experimenting with different things. We did a better job of mixing in our blitzes. We're going to have to blitz. We're not ready to use the four man rush now with the guys that we have. We will use it, but how effective we can be, we have to get better at it. 

"On some other plays (in last Saturday's win over Northwestern), there was still some technique stuff that we played wrong. We're playing too far off in the first half. We played a little bit tighter, our guys broke on the ball.

"We're even in the turnover ratio. That's not where we want to be. We're minus 1 in the turnover ratio this week. We need to get more picks. We need to get more turnovers. We had a turnover last game and a turnover the game before, and we're not getting enough turnovers."

As for the running game, the pass-heavy Tigers are averaging just 115.3 yards per, 13th in the 14-team league ahead of Vanderbilt. LSU's 97 rushing attempts are among the lowest in the league, but the real problem is the Tigers' paltry 3.6 yards per carry.

"At some point in time, they're going to stop our passing game, and we have to run the football," Orgeron said. "What's happened is we're so good at passing the football, it's kind of hard not to call the passing plays when they're wide open. 

"We had some gap schemes that we put in (vs. Northwestern) and were not very effective. We got beat at the line of scrimmage. For that, we're going to show our team that today, that we had some one-on-ones on the offensive line that got beat. We had some one-on-ones on our defensive line that their offensive line beat them, and that should not happen. Those are things we need to improve on."

You can watch Orgeron's entire Monday press conference below:

https://lsu.rivals.com/news/coach-o-looking-to-shore-tigers-deficiencies-heading-into-sec-play

39 minutes ago, LSUDad said:

We got beat at the line of scrimmage. For that, we're going to show our team that today, that we had some one-on-ones on the offensive line that got beat. We had some one-on-ones on our defensive line that their offensive line beat them, and that should not happen.  

This is where the big games are won and lost.

Archived