Gameday Tigers

PFF Highest Graded WR In The Nation

LSUDad

Justin Jefferson sits as PFF's highest-graded WR in the nation

ByBILLY EMBODY Sep 18, 6:10 PM 

LSU's new-look offense has the Tigers on a historic pace and with that, even more recognition as the team readies for SEC play. According to Pro Football Focus' grading, wide receiver Justin Jeffersonmade the move from the No. 2 spot to the No. 1 spot as the highest-graded wide receiver in the nation with a 90.1 grade through three weeks this season.

"After coming in on last week’s list as the second-highest graded wide receiver, Jefferson continued his stretch of dominant play with another stellar performance against a vastly overmatched Northwestern State," Pro Football Focus' Ben Linsey wrote. "On 27 routes run, Jefferson was targeted six times and brought in five of those passes, all of them for first downs. On the season, Jefferson has caught 100% of his contested catch opportunities, has forced seven missed tackles after the catch and is averaging well over three receiving yards per route run (3.82). If he keeps stringing together performances like he has so far, Jefferson’s draft stock will remain on the rise."

With offensive coordinator Steve Ensminger and passing game coordinator Joe Brady at the helm along with quarterback and Heisman Trophy candidate Joe Burrow, LSU's offense is getting plenty of wideouts looks and allowing them to shine.

"That's what we always wanted, to have an offense that creates space, put our play makers in space, and let them make plays," head coach Ed Orgeron said on Monday. "And have the quarterback that can make the decisions, according to the coverage, or have the coach who can look over and he can call the right play to put the ball in our guy's hands at the right spot."

Heading into the season, the Destrehan, La. native made the move to the slot and while he was skeptical going in, he's had plenty of success. On the season, Jefferson has 19 receptions for 374 yards and four touchdowns, good for 19.7 yards per catch.

"It was a little tough at first but you know, I didn't I didn't think I was going to do you know as well inside but you know, just learning outside and inside is just going to help me, you know, long term," Jefferson said during fall camp. "It's a little different, you know, different from the inside and the outside. But I mean, inside is just you know, more quicker routes, more double moves, but outside is just that 1-on-1 matchup."

5COMMENTS

On Saturday, the Tigers open SEC play in Nashville against Vanderbilt at 11 a.m. CT on the SEC Network. Geaux247 will be on hand for full coverage of the matchup.

Archived