Gameday Tigers

Coaches Firings, New Hires, Coaching Changes

LSUDad

1 hour ago, Hatchertiger said:

Looks like he may have already have  parlayed his undefeated season thus far and Taggart's termination into more money for himself and his staff. Check him off of the list looks like.

Getting ahead of the game...

PJ Fleck agrees to 7-year extension at Minnesota

By Zach Barnett - 
  November 5, 2019

PJFleckMinnesota.jpg?zoom=2&resize=355%2

With the biggest game in the program’s modern football history approaching and a job opening at Florida State, Minnesota and PJ Fleck struck while the iron was hot.

With the biggest game in Minnesota’s modern football history approaching and a job opening at Florida State, Minnesota and PJ Fleck struck while the iron was hot.

The school on Tuesday announced a new 7-year contract for Fleck to remain in the Twin Cities through 2026.

TEXAS A&M

Jimbo Fisher reacts to Willie Taggart being fired at Florida State

Keith Farner | 2 hours ago

If anyone in the country knows about the background of the Florida State program, it’s former coach Jimbo Fisher even though he’s in his second season at Texas A&M.

“Hate it for the program, himself and all the kids involved, wish them nothing but the best,” Fisher said on the SEC media teleconference. “My time there was wonderful, great, great times. won a national championship, had some great times. Three straight ACC championships, I know they will do well. Wish Willie the best, all those players the best. I still have a great fondness for Florida State and want them to do very well.”

00:04
03:01

00:09

Fisher said he wasn’t qualified to comment on the timing of Taggart’s firing, less than two years into the job.

“I don’t know, you will have to ask the administration, that’s someone else’s call,” Fisher said. “I don’t know what was going on or the inner workings of anything that was going on. I’m the wrong guy to ask on that one.”

Fisher added that injured WR Quartney Davis will be a full-go this week.

Fisher was also asked about playing the Mississippi schools.

“Ole Piss is a three-man team on defense, very similar in some ways, pressuring you off the edge… different on offense,” he said. “MSU is more conventionally, Ole Piss more about running the QB.”

“Howard University is committed to completing our internal investigation of the allegations involving concerns about the football program. As a result of our continuing investigation, the University has decided to place Head Football Coach Ron Prince on administrative leave effective immediately. Director of Football Operations Aaron Kelton will serve as the interim coach until further notice. Howard University is committed to ensuring our athletic programs reflect Howard’s core mission and values and to ensuring the well-being and success of all student athletes.”

Newest report, Prince has been fired. 

Edited by LSUDad

Report: Butch Jones no longer in consideration for Rutgers job

Adam Spencer | 5 hours ago

The Rutgers Scarlet Knights are searching for a new coach after parting ways with Chris Ash earlier this season.

A number of candidates have emerged, including former Tennessee coach and current Alabama analyst Butch Jones.

However, on Thursday, it was reported that Jones has removed his name from the search, which seems to indicate a deal with former Rutgers coach Greg Schiano could be nearing (via NJ.com😞

Former Tennessee, Cincinnati and Central Michigan coach Butch Jones has removed his name from consideration for the Scarlet Knights’ head coaching vacancy, three individuals with knowledge of the decision told NJ Advance Media. They were granted anonymity due to the sensitive nature of the matter.

Jones is in his second year as an analyst on Alabama’s staff. He figures to draw at least some interest for a bigger position before the 2020 season.

20 hours ago, LSUDad said:

A number of candidates have emerged, including former Tennessee coach and current Alabama analyst Butch Jones.

Should read: "A number of candidates have emerged, including former Tennessee coach, where he really sucked at his job, and current Alabama analyst Butch Jones."

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Nutriaitch said:

if Tennessee wasn’t so damn delusional, he’d still be there. 

3 straight winning seasons (including a pair of 9 win years). 

hadn’t been done there since ‘02-‘04. 

Tennessee still hasn't recovered from canning Fat Phil Fulmer.  "The Vols" want a return to the glory years and Butch didn't come close to producing that according to their fans and boosters.

The backlash among fans had been rising this season but really ratcheted up after a 41-0 home loss to Georgia on Sept. 30, the Vols' most lopsided loss in Neyland Stadium history.

When Jones took over in 2013, Tennessee had recorded just one winning season in the previous five years and had lost at least six games in a season for five straight years. He upgraded the roster significantly with four straight top-15 recruiting classes nationally from 2014 to 2017, according to ESPN's rankings, but wasn't able to translate that recruiting success to the field, especially in big games. The Vols were just 5-15 under Jones against Associated Press-ranked opponents and 3-12 against Alabama, Florida and Georgia, their three biggest annual rivals.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/21387123/tennessee-volunteers-fire-coach-butch-jones

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Hatchertiger said:

Tennessee still hasn't recovered from canning Fat Phil Fulmer.  "The Vols" want a return to the glory years and Butch didn't come close to producing that according to their fans and boosters.

oh i know  

that’s why i called them delusional  

I mean no, Butch Jones ain’t no Saban, but he was very clearly better than Dooley or Pruitt. Probably better than Kiffin would have been at that time had he stuck around  

Report: Arkansas names interim head coach after firing Chad Morris

Adam Spencer | 7 hours ago

Arkansas reportedly fired coach Chad Morris on Sunday morning following Saturday afternoon’s embarrassing home loss vs. Western Kentucky.

Now, the team will try to move on and build positive momentum in the final 2 games of the season before hiring Morris’s replacement.

00:03
03:01

00:15

As the Hogs move forward, Barry Lunney Jr. has been named the interim head coach, according to a report by 247Sports.

Lunney was the tight ends coach and special teams coordinator on Morris’s staff. He’ll have to guide the Hogs through games against LSU and Mizzou.

Arkansas is off next weekend before heading to Baton Rouge on Nov. 23. The Razorbacks are currently 2-8.

I saw a report on the firing of Chad Morris, interesting.  They said his staff never gelled and they did not get along.  The players sensed they were not all one big happy family.  Said there was dissension in the locker room among the players recruited by Brett Bielema, particularly o-line, did not fit the new offense Morris runs.  Brett had huge strong slow guys, Morris wanted leaner more athletic guys.  Morris played his young recruits, older guys did not like it.  I'm glad that our assistant coaches appear to get along well.  I am sure that Ensminger's reported small ego makes things easier for O.

On another interesting note, Bielema took a job position coaching with New England for $50K per year, was going to let Arky make up the difference on his buyout, $320K per month, till they had paid him $12 million.  Arky has stopped paying Bielema, saying the coach has stopped looking for a comparable paying job.  Even line coaches in the NFL make a lot more than $50K per year.  Lawsuit waiting to happen?

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/arkansas-football/decision-to-stop-bret-bielema-buyout-payments-could-save-arkansas-millions/

Edited by houtiger

fat bert will lose that lawsuit if he even tries.  and it will be a slam dunk. 

pretty much every contract for every coach says the buyout will be decreased by whatever amount a new job pays. But it also always states the coach has to make a “good faith effort” to find a similar position.  Working for peanuts basically eliminates the “good faith” part. 

as far as Morris and the staff, i can’t comment as i pay exactly zero attention to their situation 

Morris vs Bert is why you don’t hire the absolute polar opposite style coach unless you are willing to commit 100%.  Because the first 2-3 years will typically be brutal until you can completely flip the roster over to your style of athlete.  if not you could be spinning wheels for a while. 

One has to question whether any top coach would go to Arky now.  After all the controversy there over the years, Nutt, Petrino, Beilema, Morris, one sportscaster said they should admit the problem getting a top coach to go in there and just offer it back to Petrino.  There was a little jest in the suggestion, but some reality also.  If I was  a coach, I would have reservations about going to Fayettville.  It does not look like Arkansas produces that many D1 players, so you are going to have to pull stars out of TX, La., Miss, Fla, Ga, and given the past of the program, that looks like a mighty tough pull.  Of course, you could negotiate a big buyout, take the job for 2 years, and wait to get fired and collect the millions in buyout :classic_biggrin:.

• Like 1

Morris was very upfront with Arky officials that his system would require a complete retooling of the roster as its the polar opposite of bert's offense. Evidently they didn't pay attention. 

They just lost their 4* QB recruit...Morris' son.  They're fricked for the foreseeable future. 

3 hours ago, Hatchertiger said:

Honestly, it wouldn't bother me if Arky and Mizzou got shipped to either of the "Big" conferences.

Now you're talking! 

Missouri was never a good fit in the SEC.  They are just plain out of their league. Pun intended.

Arkansas is a shadow of what it was when it was in SWC. Where were they after SWC and before the SEC? Big 12? Can we give them back?

Might as well dump the Aggies and Vanderbilt, too, so schedules can be equal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dachsie said:

LOL - I don't think you can dump Vandy - they are an original member

I don't understand why Vandy hangs around in the SEC?  They are seldom competitive.  Seems to me they should acknowledge reality and do what Tulane did years ago, de-emphasize football.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, paducahmichael said:

Arkansas is a shadow of what it was when it was in SWC. Where were they after SWC and before the SEC? Big 12? Can we give them back?

Arky was first to bolt from SWC. They saw that implosion coming and bailed out, so they never were big XII

7 hours ago, houtiger said:

I don't understand why Vandy hangs around in the SEC?  They are seldom competitive.  Seems to me they should acknowledge reality and do what Tulane did years ago, de-emphasize football.

$$$$$$

lots and lots of $$$$$

plus, they are competitive in other sports.  They have 2 national titles in baseball since our last one. 

remind me again what Tulane is relevant in.  other than being pretentious pricks. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Another FBS job opens as school announces coach is stepping down

Sydney Hunte | 3 hours ago

Longtime head coach Bob Davie, currently in his 7th season at New Mexico, will step down after the 2019 season following the team’s finale against Utah State, the school announced today.

Davie is best known for his tenure at Notre Dame from 1997-2001, where he posted a mark of 35-25 and 3 bowl appearances before being fired after the 2001 season.

00:04
04:39

00:08

After an extended absence from the sideline, Davie returned to coaching and was hired as the head coach at New Mexico starting with the 2012 season. His best mark came in 2012, when he led the Lobos to a 9-4 mark and a 3-way tie with Wyoming and Boise State in the Mountain West Mountain Division. However, he is 8-27 since then with a 2-21 mark in conference play.

“In stepping aside, I’m proud of what we accomplished at UNM, but we are all disappointed that we have not been able to sustain the success that we achieved and all desire,” Davie in a statement. “My family and I will be forever grateful to UNM for giving me the opportunity to coach again after being at ESPN for 10 years.”

Following the Lobos’ season opener this year, Davie checked into a hospital due to heart problems. He missed the team’s trip to Notre Dame but returned the following week against New Mexico State.