Gameday Tigers

Cali Law - players can do endorsement deals

houtiger

Sep. 30, 2019 - SACRAMENTO — 

California became the first state to require major financial reforms in college athletics on Monday after Gov. Gavin Newsom signed into law a measure that allows players to receive endorsement deals, despite the National Collegiate Athletic Assn. calling the move unconstitutional.

Other states have proposed similar measures to pressure the NCAA, but so far only California is on a collision course with the governing body of college athletics, a billion-dollar organization that has repeatedly opposed efforts to allow players to profit off their sports.

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2019-09-30/college-athlete-endorsement-deals-ncaa-california-law

What's your opinion?  The NCAA has been the governing body over college sports and it makes the rules.  By not allowing players to make profits off their name and fame, competition has been kept much more even.  A kid on California, which is a media intense locale, has no advantage financially under the old rules, than a player in Nebraska, or Kansas, or Louisiana, which are less populated and less media intense locales.  The difference in media intensity and money that could be earned will be very bad for even competition IMO.  California will be a big beneficiary.  Talk about Orgeron putting a fence around La. recruiting, California would really put a fence around California recruiting.

Can the state government overrule a college sports collective that the institutions voluntarily belong to, and agree to abide by its rules? 

On the other hand, I have sympathy for the athletes who risk career ending injury every week, for a meager college scholarship, while coaches like Saban and Jimbo earn $7 million a year.  Let's see, $20K a year vs. $7 million a year.  It is not almost fair.  If you believe in a capitalistic economy and a free market system, how can you allow the NCAA to deny kids the right to sign an advertising agreement to endorse a product and make some money on their name and image?  It may not be good for the game, but you cannot argue that it is unamerican.  It is the American way.  As long as the school is not paying the kid, how can you deny him the right to earn a few bucks on the side.  He can have a summer job and make money on the side, why not an endorsement deal?

The major problem I have with it is that the kids in the major media markets will have a significant advantage over players who play at teams in smaller media markets like Baton Rouge.

ETA:  After thinking about it for a while, I don't think LSU players will be at that big of a disadvantage.  New Orleans is just down the road and because LSU football is so popular state wide they will have the ability to market themselves in places like Lafayette, Lake Charles, Shreveport, Alexandria, etc.

this is colossally stupid and the NCAA will win on appeals  

why? 

because you  cannot force a private organization with VOLUNTARY membership to change its bylaws.

also, most people have this grand delusion that college sports just prints out money. in reality, only a very select few turn any type of profit at all. in fact, the vast majority lose money annually.  yes football turns a profit. any in many places basketball does too. but the money those sports profit is used to fund the entire test of the athletic department.

and now you’re telling a department that already LOSES money that they now have to lose even more because some of what coming in us to go to somebody else.

and good luck paying stud QB without some Title IX pushback saying the 3rd team women’s water polo goalie can’t get the same amount. 

29 minutes ago, COTiger said:

The major problem I have with it is that the kids in the major media markets will have a significant advantage over players who play at teams in smaller media markets like Baton Rouge.

college football blue bolds (for the most part) ain’t from major media markets. 

USC/UCLA being the exceptions more than the rule. 

cali schools have opted to not allow games to be played in the 11 states or against teams from those states(?) that don't adhere to Cali bathroom laws, so let them pay their players and they can just play other cali schools as i don't see NCAA agreeing with it.

another thought is maybe make it to where any monies made from name/image/likeness is ‘held’ (put in a trust or something) until after they finish/leave school

another thing, i think people are giving the players WAAAAAAAY too much credit on the value of their “name, image, and likeness”

people are fans of the school. and buy the school’s merchandise. 

example, i buy LSU jerseys. not [insert player name] jersey. 

in fact, next year somebody completely different will wear that number. and i’m STILL going to wear the jersey. no matter who the hell it is or how good the new guy is/isn’t. 

i was an LSU fan long before any of these kids were even born. i will continue to be loooooong after they’re no longer on the team. 

so so how much value does that player have? i’m buying the jersey no matter who the hell wears it. 

Just now, Nutriaitch said:

so so how much value does that player have? i’m buying the jersey no matter who the hell wears it. 

example:

someone goes to bookstore buys a #3 LSU jersey who gets the cut?

JaCoby Stevens? Tyrion Davis-Price?

maybe our all-time leading rusher Kevin Faulk?

maybe one of the most popular players in the NFL right now Odell Beckham Jr?

maybe your bought it because of Chad Jones?

or, maybe you’re just an LSU fan that wore #3 in high school? and no individual player is the reason. 

question:

did anyone here buy an LSU jersey because of oh, let’s say Leonard Fournette?

or did you buy a Fournette jersey because he went to LSU?

in other words, if Fournette had gone to some other school, would you have bought THAT school’s jersey instead?

no, you would have bought whoever else ended up at LSU. so then who really has the value, the player or the school?

hell, at one time about a decade ago, LSU didn’t sell their best player, they just sold the year (#7 in ‘07, #8 in ‘08, etc). 

and still sold the goldenshower outta jerseys. 

why? because it’s the SCHOOL not the player that has value. 

Archived