Gameday Tigers

LSU vs. Auburn - Gameweek Comments 2019

houtiger

Whachagot?  Auburn will have the best defensive line we have faced, better than Fla., especially since Fla. best pass rusher went down in the first quarter.

Some have Derrick Brown being the first defensive lineman drafted next year.

1 Derrick Brown

Defensive Lineman, Auburn Tigers

For all the strength up front for the Auburn Tigers defense in 2019, everything begins and ends with big number five in the middle. Derrick Brown is a big, powerful, beast of a man who controls the middle of the trenches regardless of who is tasked with blocking him.

Brown will thrive as a nose tackle at the next level thanks to his superior strength. Though he would be a suitable three or five-technique as well, the push he gets inside is one of his most valuable traits. Thanks to a quick and powerful get off at the snap, Brown bullies blockers into the face of the opposing quarterback. While he isn’t likely to lead his team in sacks, he draws enough attention up the middle to create lanes for blitzing linebackers and give his edge rushers one-on-one opportunities.

As a run defender, he’s a magnet for double teams, which only serves to help his linebackers. Even when double-teamed, however, he displays the power to break the blocks and wreak havoc at the line of scrimmage.

Brown is a smart player who knows his value to the defense. He’s more of a disruptor than a playmaker. He violates offensive linemen. His play in the season opener against Oregon is proof of this.

https://withthefirstpick.com/2019/09/21/2020-nfl-draft-auburns-derrick-brown-anchors-d-line-class/

This will be a big challenge for the offense.

Terrace Marshall likely to play vs. Auburn

BySHEA DIXON 22 minutes ago 

8832445.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320(Photo: Jonathan Bachman, Getty)

LSU wide receiver Terrace Marshall Jr. had been red-hot to start the 2019 season, but an injury suffered in LSU's win over Vanderbilt on Sep. 21 sidelined the former five-star receiver, and head coach Ed Orgeron said he was unsure when Marshall would return to the team, only adding that the surgery on a foot fracture would keep his sophomore wideout sidelined until the "latter part" of the season.

One month later, it appears Marshall is gearing up to return to game action this weekend when the No. 2 Tigers host No. 9 Auburn in Tiger Stadium.

At his Monday press conference, Orgeron said the coaching staff and medical staff met this morning and it appears Marshall will be ready to play on Saturday.

"We plan on easing him along and seeing what he can do," Orgeron said. "We feel that by game time (against Auburn) he should be ready to play."

In four games this season, Marshall recorded 20 catches for 304 yards and six touchdowns. That's already more than he turned in a year ago as a true freshman, when Marshall recorded 12 catches for 192 yards and no touchdowns.

Marshall first returned to practice after the win over Utah State, then increased his workload throughout the week before suiting up in the home game against Florida two weeks ago, though he did not see any game action. Marshall practiced again last week before suiting up on the road against Mississippi State, but once more, the staff held him back from game action.

Marshall is the third piece in an impressive trio of starting wide receivers for the Tigers this season, and his showing across the first four games was a big reason the Tigers were able to lead the nation in scoring through most of the 2019 season. LSU starting wide receiver Ja'Marr Chase has recorded 35 catches for 626 yards and nine touchdowns in six games this season. Justin Jefferson, who has started in all seven games for the Tigers, has recorded 48 catches for 759 yards and nine touchdowns. 

1COMMENTS

Despite missing the past three games, Marshall is still third on the team catches, receiving yards and receiving touchdowns. In his absence, tight end Thaddeus Moss has delivered some big games, and he now has 14 catches for 201 yards and a touchdown on the season. At the wide receiver spot, Derrick Dillon and Racey McMath are two players that have seen an uptick in playing time, with Dillon now sitting on nine catches for 152 yards and two touchdowns and McMath recording 10 catches for 138 yards and two touchdowns. Stephen Sullivan, who has seen time at tight end and wide receiver, has 11 catches for 121 yards on the year.

Stay tuned to Geaux247 for more on this developing story as Marshall gears back up to return to the field. 

• Like 2

LSU football practice report (Oct. 21): Once expected to miss season, Kardell Thomas returns

br.southernlabsignees.122018_HS_1230

Southern Lab offensive lineman Kardell Thomas throws up an "L" with an LSU hat on his head after announcing his decision to further his education as an LSU Tiger in a ceremony on early signing day, Wednesday, December 19, 2018, at Southern Lab in Baton Rouge, La.

Advocate staff photo by HILARY SCHEINUK

Once expected to miss the entire season, true freshman offensive lineman Kardell Thomas returned to LSU football practice on Monday afternoon.

A 6-foot-3, 329-pound graduate of Southern Lab, Thomas was a five-star recruit and one of the key pieces of LSU's most recent class.

Thomas injured his ankle during preseason camp in August. Coach Ed Orgeron called it "unfortunate," adding Thomas was accidentally hit from behind. Thomas soon underwent surgery.

About two weeks later, Orgeron said Thomas would miss the rest of the season, though he hoped Thomas could return around December. At the time, he added Thomas would redshirt.

On Monday, Thomas appeared during LSU's open period for the first time since the injury. He went through drills as a right guard.

• Like 1

I've seen the magic in DV .... and in this series over the course of my adult life .

And BTW, ... unlikely the Nix kid made those comments about LSU or DV.

Back to houtiger's OP, .... yes, Derrik Brown is an NFL talent, but Marlon Davidson is the cleanup hitter that bears keeping a close eye on .... top notch player.

https://247sports.com/college/auburn/Article/Auburn-Tigers-defensive-end-Marlon-Davidson-earns-3rd-SEC-player-of-week-honor-137311302/

Edited by cadillacattack
  • Like 2

Caddy, one thing about the d-line this year that is different than the last 8 years or so, we have 6 quality players for 3 spots, so for the first time in a while, we can rest a guy and his backup is good.  O has been working on rebuilding the offensive and defensive lines to include some quality depth.  It was not that long ago that the starters played the whole game, they got tired and we lost some games late.  That is improved this year, on defense it is noticeable.  The o-line is strong at center and guard, but our tackles are sometimes abused by an outside speed rusher.

• Like 1

Series results Part 1

No. Date Location Winning team Losing team
1 1901 Baton Rouge, LA Auburn 28 LSU 0
2 1902 Baton Rouge, LA LSU 5 Auburn 0
3 1903 Auburn, AL Auburn 12 LSU 0
4 1908 Auburn, AL LSU 10 Auburn 2
5 1912 Mobile, AL Auburn 7 LSU 0
6 1913 Mobile, AL Auburn 7 LSU 0
7 1924 Birmingham, AL Auburn 3 LSU 0
8 1926 Montgomery, AL LSU 10 Auburn 0
9 1927 Montgomery, AL LSU 9 Auburn 0
10 1934 Baton Rouge, LA LSU 20 Auburn 6
11 1935 Baton Rouge, LA LSU 6 Auburn 0
12 1936 Birmingham, AL #7 LSU 19 #9 Auburn 6
13 1937 Baton Rouge, LA #12 LSU 9 #14 Auburn 7
14 1938 Birmingham, AL #9 Auburn 28 LSU 6
15 1939 Baton Rouge, LA Auburn 21 LSU 7
16 1940 Birmingham, AL LSU 21 #9 Auburn 13
17 1941 Baton Rouge, LA Tie 7 Tie 7
18 1942 Birmingham, AL #14 Auburn 25 #9 LSU 7
19 1969 Baton Rouge, LA LSU 21 Auburn 20
20 1970 Auburn, AL #14 LSU 17 #6 Auburn 9
21 1972 Baton Rouge, LA #8 LSU 35 #9 Auburn 7
22 1973 Auburn, AL LSU 20 Auburn 6
23 1980 Baton Rouge, LA LSU 21 Auburn 17
24 1981 Auburn, AL Auburn 19 LSU 7
25 1988 Baton Rouge, LA LSU 7 #4 Auburn 6
26 1989 Auburn, AL #12 Auburn 10 LSU 6
27 1992 Auburn, AL Auburn 30 LSU 28
28 1993 Baton Rouge, LA Auburn 34 LSU 1

Series result Part 2

No. Date Location Winning team Losing team
29 1994 Auburn, AL #11 Auburn 30 LSU 26
30 1995 Baton Rouge, LA LSU 12 #5 Auburn 6
31 1996 Auburn, AL #21 LSU 19 #13 Auburn 15
32 1997 Baton Rouge, LA #12 Auburn 31 #10 LSU 28
33 1998 Auburn, AL #7 LSU 31 Auburn 19
34 1999 Baton Rouge, LA #24 Auburn 41 LSU 7
35 2000 Auburn, AL #25 Auburn 34 #22 LSU 17
36 2001 Baton Rouge, LA LSU 27 Auburn 14
37 2002 Auburn, AL Auburn 31 #10 LSU 7
38 2003 Baton Rouge, LA #9 LSU 31 #17 Auburn 7
39 2004 Auburn, AL #14 Auburn 10 #5 LSU 9
40 2005 Baton Rouge, LA #7 LSU 20 #16 Auburn 17OT
41 2006 Auburn, AL #3 Auburn 7 #6 LSU 3
42 2007 Baton Rouge, LA #5 LSU 30 #18 Auburn 24
43 2008 Auburn, AL #6 LSU 26 #9 Auburn 21
44 2009 Baton Rouge, LA #10 LSU 31 Auburn 10
45 2010 Auburn, AL #5 Auburn 24 #6 LSU 17
46 2011 Baton Rouge, LA #1 LSU 45 #19 Auburn 10
47 2012 Auburn, AL #2 LSU 12 Auburn 10
48 2013 Baton Rouge, LA #6 LSU 35 Auburn 21
49 2014 Auburn, AL #5 Auburn 41 #15 LSU 7
50 2015 Baton Rouge, LA #13 LSU 45 #18 Auburn 21
51 2016 Auburn, AL Auburn 18 #18 LSU 13
52 2017 Baton Rouge, LA LSU 27 #10 Auburn 23
53 2018 Auburn, AL #12 LSU 22 #7 Auburn 21
54 2019 Baton Rouge, LA        
Series: LSU leads 30–22–1

26 minutes ago, Hatchertiger said:

This one was a good one!

For years after this game - season actually - (up until he passed away) my congo gray parrot, Paco, would randomly scream “Ford!” (Especially if we had a football game on) because he heard me scream it so much the 2011 season. Lol. This vid just reminded me of that, thanks hatch!

• Like 1

article:

Can Auburn hold a 'video game' offense like LSU under 30 points?

AUBURN, Alabama — Auburn might as well throw away the game film from 2018.

It's easy to see No. 2 LSU looks nothing like it did last season on offense.

"I haven’t even looked back to last year’s game, because I look at (No.) 9 this year, and he’s a totally different quarterback," Auburn senior safety Jeremiah Dinson said. "Totally different."

LSU quarterback Joe Burrow has simply been incredible through seven games this season. He's already broken the school record for touchdown passes in a season (29) and is completing an incredible 79.4 percent of his passes, a jump of more than 20 percent year over year.

No. 9 Auburn (6-1, 3-0 SEC) will try to be the first team to slow LSU (7-0, 3-0) and coordinator Steve Ensminger offense Saturday at 2:30 p.m. CT (CBS) inside Tiger Stadium in Baton Rouge, Louisiana.

"You look at LSU offensively, and it looks like a video game when you watch them on film," Auburn coach Gus Malzahn said. "Their quarterback is outstanding the way he plays, and he’s got some big-time receivers."

LSU's scoring offense ranks second nationally with an incredible 50.1 points per game. Only one team has held the Tigers under 42 points this season, and that was still a blowout victory last week at Mississippi State (36-13). Receivers Justin Jefferson and Ja'Marr Chase both have nine touchdowns apiece and average more than 104 yards apiece, and five receivers are averaging 15 yards or more per catch.

Oh, and Terrace Marshall Jr. is expected to return to the field this week after missing three games with a fractured foot. He's third on the team with 304 yards and six touchdown catches.

"They do a good job of getting the ball out quickly," Malzahn said. "They’ve done a good job. And [Burrow] can extend plays. I mean, you’re talking about a complete guy. He throws the ball vertically down the field. He’s very accurate. He’s very accurate with his intermediate and his quick game, and he can extend plays. He’s a good runner, too. They can call quarterback runs and he can run it, too. He’s a complete quarterback."

In a world of offensive expansion in the SEC, Auburn defensive coordinator Kevin Steele has managed to build one of the nation's top defenses. Auburn's defense has allowed 30 points or more only three times in the last 47 games (four seasons). Auburn allowed 12 opponents to score 30 or more in Malzahn's first two seasons as the head coach in 2013 and 2014.

Auburn ranks 16th nationally allowing 17.1 points per game. LSU's offense ranks second nationally.

Auburn has lost its last five games when an opponent scores 30 points or more, with the last outing occurring in a 52-21 loss at Alabama last season.

Auburn will rely on its defensive line to pressure Burrow, just as it has throughout the season. Defensive tackle Derrick Brown and Davidson have combined to win five of the SEC's defensive lineman of the week awards in Auburn's seven games this season. Davidson picked up his third award Monday after recording two sacks, a forced fumble and fumble recovery in a 51-10 victory at Arkansas last week.

LSU, however, poses the biggest challenge yet for a team that has already faced nationally-ranked opponents such as Oregon, Texas A&M and Florida away from home.

"It’s a big challenge, I can say that," Davidson said. "I’ll take my guys over anybody because I know we put in the work beside each other everyday. But, that’s a great football team. They’re going to be a test, a big test. A great offense vs. a great defense, you never know who’s going to come out on top of that."

Auburn's defense when allowing 30 points or more in the Kevin Steele era (47 games)

Nov. 26, 2016: Alabama 30, Auburn 12
Jan. 2, 2017: Oklahoma 35, Auburn 19 (Sugar Bowl)
Nov. 24, 2018: Alabama 52, Auburn 21

I prefer the Interception Game to the Earthquake Game, although I sure did enjoy myself in BR that night ..... that was a great day except for the final couple of minutes ...

But Burrow doesn't strike me as the kind of quarterback to turn it over, ...and Orgeron sure as hell wouldn't keep throwing it like Curley ....

Getting Terrace Marshall back for the Auburn game will really help LSU.  Racy McMath did well, but Marshall is better.  You can't double cover everyone, pick your poison, Jefferson, Chase, and Marshall, with Moss at tight end.  Edwards-Helaire can catch a pass out of the backfield, when he's not pass blocking.

36 minutes ago, cadillacattack said:

I prefer the Interception Game to the Earthquake Game, although I sure did enjoy myself in BR that night ..... that was a great day except for the final couple of minutes ...

But Burrow doesn't strike me as the kind of quarterback to turn it over, ...and Orgeron sure as hell wouldn't keep throwing it like Curley ....

the interception game?

never heard of it. 

doesn’t exist.