Gameday Tigers

Improvements Needed...and How To Accomplish It

Fishhead

DEFENSE:

On defense, there's definitely a vast improvement with regards to tackling.  It's noticeable and a credit to the staff and players for recognizing, addressing, and correcting what I believe was LSUs most obvious deficiency early in the season. 

With Lawrence and Logan back, and LSU having developed a true DL rotation with Ika spelling Shelvin when necessary, and Fehoko and Farrell REALLY playing well, the DL is much improved. 

The DBs are rounding into shape.  Fulton seems to still be slightly injured, although playing pretty well overall.  Stingley is an absolute lock down corner that teams are realizing it'd be a mistake to test him at all (ZERO stats against MSU because they never went his way...at all).  Delpit is returning to form and playing much more aggressively.  Stevens is a freak and as long as he's where he needs to be, he's a factor.  

So, improvements needed....

Chaisson.  I've been watching his play since his return to the field.  He's constantly beating his man and getting.......BEHIND the QB.  It has resulted in big run plays by QBs with the ability to be mobile, like Emery Jones, even Trask on a bad wheel, and especially The Beard at MSU last weekend.  On his TD run, Chaisson took himself right out of the play with over pursuit, and The Beard waltzed right into the end zone.  

How to fix that...Chaisson seems to be at his best when NOT trying to hard to sack the QB.  He's played well even covering receivers, and especially turning wide running plays back inside or taking away an outlet for the QB by staying wide.  Do that more. 

OFFENSE: 

The OL has improved greatly since last season.  Austin Deculus has been absolutely solid this year at right tackle.  The interior of the OL has gotten even better since Ed Ingram returned to the team.  

But there's one issue.  Charles.  It's not that he's playing poorly.  It's that he isn't always playing.  These "coach's decisions" are having an adverse affect on the OL play as a unit.  

That said, the only solution is to play him when we can (AU and the Gumps), and sit him when it's less likely to affect the outcome of the game.  (assuming the "coach's decision" is 6 games as I've suspected all season)

The running game.  

Clyde has been solid all season, and seems to be getting better with each passing game.  Speaking of passing game, the #1 reason Clyde is RB1 is because of his ability to protect QB1.  

Freshman John Emery came in most heralded, but due to his inability to master that simple aspect of the game, it's unlikely he'll be a factor at all in the next two games.  

Fortunately, Ty-Davis Price also came in quite heralded, and has lived up to the expectations.  Most recently, he has solidified the #2 spot behind CEH and is running more confidently.  He is a "one cut" back, and has burst and power after that one cut.  What was maybe unexpected is, he also has speed.  He gets going North/South immediately following that "one cut" and takes what's available to him.  He finishes runs hard and can prove to be a deadly weapon against tired defenses later in games.  Emery needs to take notes and quit looking for the home run every time he touches the ball.  Take what's there.

46 minutes ago, Fishhead said:

He is a "one cut" back, and has burst and power after that one cut.  What was maybe unexpected is, he also has speed.  He gets going North/South immediately following that "one cut" and takes what's available to him.  He finishes runs hard and can prove to be a deadly weapon against tired defenses later in games. 

Yeah that's what Coach O says and compares him to Jeremy Hill, which I'll take!!!!

Q. Davis-Price looks like he's giving you some power in the running game. Where is your confidence level with him as opposed to the beginning of the year?
ED ORGERON: Very high. He's learning the offense, getting in his groove, he has some confidence. The last two touches he made, that touch against Florida, the touch he made against Mississippi State were very impressive.

The thing I like about him is one cut, he's north and south. He's going to fall forward. He reminds us a lot of maybe Jeremy Hill type back we used to have here. Maybe good, maybe better, we don't know yet. I think he's going to have a great career here.

https://247sports.com/college/lsu/LongFormArticle/LSU-Tigers-football-head-coach-Ed-Orgeron-media-press-conference-what-he-said-Auburn-game-week--137342828/#137342828_8

Archived