Gameday Tigers

2020 LSU Football Commitments

Herb

LSU Recruiting: Little room in the Den for Tigers amid national fervor over offense

LSU head coach Ed Orgeron gestures as he leads his team on the field prior to their NCAA college football game against Mississippi State in Starkville, Miss., Saturday, Oct. 19, 2019. LSU won 36-13. (AP Photo/Rogelio V. Solis)
LSU head coach Ed Orgeron gestures as he leads his team on the field prior to their NCAA college football game against Mississippi State in Starkville, Miss., Saturday, Oct. 19, 2019. LSU won 36-13. (AP Photo/Rogelio V. Solis)
ROGELIO V. SOLIS, AP

GLENN GUILBEAU | LAFAYETTE DAILY ADVERTISER | 13 hours ago

icon-sms_24.svg icon-facebook_24.svg icon-twitter_24.svg icon-mail_24.svg

BATON ROUGE — LSU is not only ranked higher than Alabama in one of the national polls at the moment, its class of 2020 also has remained ranked higher than the Crimson Tide's class, as the Tigers are at No. 1 to Alabama's No. 4 in the Rivals.com rankings.

No. 1 LSU (8-0, 4-0 Southeastern Conference) plays at No. 2 Alabama (8-0, 5-0 SEC) on Nov. 9 at 2:30 p.m. on CBS.

2e79b2cb-e629-410e-91f9-1af81b950ced_poster.jpg
LSU coach Ed Orgeron has 24 commitments for his Class of 2020, but the limit is 25. And he could probably sign 30
GLENN GUILBEAU, USA TODAY NETWORK

The Tigers have 24 commitments, including four of the top level, five-star prospects — No. 1 cornerback Elias Ricks of IMG Academy in Bradenton, Florida, via Mater Dei High in Santa Ana, California; No. 1 tight end Arik Gilbert of Marietta High in Marietta, Georgia; No. 3 inside linebacker Antoine Sampah of Woodbridge Senior High in Woodbridge, Virginia; and No. 3 receiver Rakim Jarrett of St. John's College High in Washington, D.C.

Alabama is at 23 commitments with just one five-star commitment so far in No. 2 outside linebacker Chris Braswell of St. Frances High in Baltimore. 

LSU has not finished higher than Alabama in the Rivals.com rankings since February 2007 — just weeks after Nick Saban arrived at Alabama as head coach from the Miami Dolphins — when LSU coach Les Miles' class finished No. 4 to the Tide's No. 10.

The early signing period is Dec. 18-20 with the later date on Feb. 5, 2020.

The Tigers, who are ranked No. 1 in the Associated Press media poll and No. 2 in the USA TODAY coaches' poll, are probably the hottest team in the country because of their new, pass-heavy offense.

LSU is No. 2 in the nation in scoring with 46.8 points a game, No. 3 in the nation in total yards with 535.9 a game, and quarterback Joe Burrow is No. 2 in the nation in passing yards a game with 350.6 behind new pass game coordinator Joe Brady. Before this season, LSU was frequently toward the bottom in the nation in such statistics.

When LSU nabbed a commitment from the Gilbert, the top-ranked tight end in the country from Marietta, Georgia, away from Alabama, Georgia, Florida, and Clemson, he mentioned Brady as one of the reasons.

"It has made a great impact on recruiting," LSU coach Ed Orgeron said Wednesday on the SEC teleconference about his offense. "Great players want to come. Great players are already on this recruiting class that we have, and we're getting more response because of the success of the offense."

Orgeron saw this happen when he was an assistant coach at USC from 1998-2004 when the Trojans won national championships in 2003 and '04.

"It opened up the national recruiting for us, and that's what we're starting to see here," he said.

LSU is trying to win its first SEC championship since the 2011 season, which is the last year it reached the national championship game.

Unlike his predecessor at times, Orgeron is no longer dependent upon the type of year the state of Louisiana is having as far as ranked prospects to have a top recruiting class because he is going national.

In LSU's 2020 class, 17 of the 24 commitments are from out of state, including five from the Washington, D.C., area, two from California, and one from Colorado — all new territory for the Tigers.

One problem, though, may be the fact that LSU entered its breakthrough 2019 season with 21 of a possible 25 commitments before its first kickoff. LSU has only room for one more at the moment and is still recruiting four top targets, including the No. 1 tailback in the nation — Zachary Evans of North Shore High in Houston.

Other prospects on LSU's radar are No. 8 defensive tackle and No. 13 national prospect Jacobian Guillory of Alexandria Senior High, No. 14 offensive tackle Marcus Dumervil of St Thomas Aquinas High in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, and No. 18 guard Xavier Hill of Olive Branch High in Olive Branch, Mississippi. Orgeron visited Hill on Monday.

Orgeron was asked if he wishes he had not gathered so many commitments so early, considering the season LSU is having.

"No," he said. "No. I think it all works out. It all works out at the end. Things happen like academics. Some guys decide to go other places. Some guys de-commit. I think we're right where we need to be. Obviously, we need to be very selective, but I think it's all going to shake out."

Should LSU get Evans out of Houston, for example, it would need to have room through an academic or another issue with a previous commitment or make room for Guillory of Alexandria. Sometimes a coach who may find himself overbooked will ask a player to walk on for a season to give up a scholarship.

Such a problem would be new for Orgeron, who lost the nation's No. 1 cornerback to Alabama in 2018 in the 11th hour when Patrick Surtain of Plantation, Florida, switched from LSU. And Orgeron had to scramble to fill out his class with a cornerback.

"Usually, the night before signing day, I'm always searching for one guy or two when something falls out," he said.

Not this year.

"I'm not really worried about it," he said.

Maybe next Feb. 4, someone will be calling Orgeron and begging to join the class instead of telling him he will be going elsewhere.

"I'm not worried about numbers," Orgeron said.

LSU's Class of 2020

• Arik Gilbert, TE, Marietta, Georgia, Marietta High

• Antoine Sampah, LB, Woodbridge, Virginia, Woodbridge Senior High

• Rakim Jarrett, WR, Washington, D.C., St. John's College High

• Elias Ricks, CB, Santa Ana, Calif., Mater Dei High, IMG Academy, Bradenton, Fla.

• BJ Ojulari, DE, Marietta, Georgia, Marietta High

• Malcolm Greene, S, Highland Springs, Virginia, Highland Springs High

• Koy Moore, WR, Metairie, Rummel High

• Jaquelin Roy, DT, Baton Rouge, University High

• Kole Taylor, TE, Grand Junction, Colorado, Central High

• Jalen Lee, DT, Watson, Live Oak High

• Eric Taylor, DT, Trussville, Alabama, Trussville High

• Jordan Toles, S, Baltimore, St. Frances Academy

• Major Burns, CB, Baton Rouge, Madison Prep Academy

• Jermaine Burton, WR, Calabasas, California, Calabasas High

• Josh White, OLB, Houston, Cy Creek High

• Lorando Johnson, CB, Lancaster, Texas, Lancaster High

• Demon Clowney, DE, Baltimore, St. Frances Academy

• Alec Bryant DE, Pearland, Texas, Shadow Creek High

• CamRon Jackson, DT, Haynesville, Haynesville High

• Max Johnson, QB, Watkinsville, Georgia, Oconee County High

• Kayshon Boutte, WR, New Iberia, Westgate High

• T.J. Finley, QB, Ponchatoula, Ponchatoula High

• Ali Gaye, DE, Edmonds, Washington, Woodway High, Garden City (Kan.) Jr. College

• Marlon Martinez, OT, Fort Lauderdale, Florida, St. Thomas Aquinas High

• Like 1

Per Dandy Don, DT Jacobian Guillory (6' 2", 331) from Alexandria High has committed to LSU! 

Jacobian was rated the #2 prospect in the state by Dandy Don, and that gives LSU winning the commitment of all 5 of the top 5 recruits in the state.  Jacobian is rated as a 4*.

LSU only has one commitment from the second 5 players in-state, but has done better than usual with out of state recruits this year.

Geaux Tigers!!!

Edited by houtiger
  • Like 2

Photo: Mike Scarborough, TigerBait.com

LSU Football Recruiting

BREAKING: Jacobian Guillory commits to LSU

By Mike Scarborough
November 10, 2019

It's over! High four-star defensive tackle Jacobian Guillory‍ of Alexandria Senior High school has announced his commitment to LSU. 

“First and foremost I want to thank every single coach that recruited me in this process. I’m thankful and blessed to be a part of everything that everyone has offered me. I would like to announce that in August of 2020 I will be attending Louisiana State University. Geaux Tigers!”

See what LSU is getting in Jacobian Guillory.  TigerBait exclusive action video (premium)

Guillory has attended every single LSU home game this season and he was in Tuscaloosa to watch LSU beat Alabama, 46-41.  

With the 6-foot-3, 320-pound Guillory on-board with the Tigers, LSU now has 25 commitments for the class of 2020.  

Guillory’s  addition gives LSU one of the nation’s most elite defensive line units as he joins fellow commitments Jaquelin Roy, Jalen Lee, Eric Taylor, Ali Gaye and CamRon Jackson.

LSU football gains another four-star recruit following Saturday's big win over Alabama

Jacobin Guillory
Billy Embody (247sports)

After LSU’s first win over Alabama in eight years, the Tigers gained another highly-touted recruit to help round out the 2020 class. 

Four-star defensive lineman from Alexandria, Louisiana, Jacobian Guillory verbally committed to the Tigers Sunday morning after LSU’s 46-41 win over Alabama. Guillory is the 25th verbal commit for the Tigers. 

Guillory had been considering both the Tigers and the Tide, but ultimately chose LSU. Guillory planned on announcing his collegiate decision at the All-American Bowl in January, but that was short-lived after his visit to the LSU-Alabama game. 

Guillory, the 6-foot-2, 330 pound Alexandria native is ranked as the No. 12 defensive tackle in the country, the No. 5 ranked prospect in Louisiana and the No. 154 overall recruit in the 2020 class, according to 247Sports Composite. Guillory was the highest uncommitted prospect from Louisiana. 

The Tigers have five defensive tackle commits in their 2020 class, and Guillory joins an LSU recruiting class that ranks No. 2 in the country, according to 247Sports. With Guillory’s commit, LSU is now within fractions of a point for jumping Clemson for the No. 1 class

Following huge win over InbredGumps, players went to recruits section to tell them to come to LSU

Teddy Rydquist | 3 hours ago

Topping the Crimson Tide for the first time since 2011, No. 2 LSU held off No. 3 Alabama on Saturday, 46-41.

Earning the top spot in Sunday’s AP Poll with the victory, Tigers players took the opportunity to deliver a message to some Alabama recruits.

00:23

Here’s a look at what freshman Marcel Brooks, junior Grant Delpit and redshirt junior Thaddeus Moss had to say:

The moment when @Thaddeusmoss @realgrantdelpit @MarcelBrooks_5 and his @LSUfootball teammates come over to the @AlabamaFTBL recruitment section to suggest they consider an alternative option in Baton Rouge 😂! Gotta ❤️@SEC @Geaux247 @TomVH @JibrilleFewell

Embedded video

Jumping out to an early 10-0 lead, sophomore Ja’Marr Chase got the Tigers on the board first when redshirt senior Joe Burrow found him from 33 yards out. Hauling in six passes, Chase led LSU with 140 receiving yards.

Largely thanks to junior Clyde Edwards-Helaire, the Tigers took a 33-13 lead into the halftime break. Showcasing his skills in both facets of the offense, Edwards-Helaire finished with 180 yards and four touchdowns on 29 touches.

After back-to-back scores by junior Najee Harris, Alabama cut the deficit to six points, 33-27, early in the fourth quarter.

Edwards-Helaire’s final touchdown with 1:43 to play extended LSU’s lead back to 12 points and the Tigers were able to hang on and move to 9-0.

Their second straight road game, LSU will travel to Oxford to battle Ole Piss (4-6) on Saturday.

Dropping to 8-1 with the loss, the Crimson Tide will head to Starkville to face Mississippi State (4-5).

My thoughts sitting at 25...

Burch,  Dumervil, Webb, and Evans are guys we'd take. Burch is the longest reach, while the rest are ours.

We'll take the best 25, not the first 25. ANY potential issues (grades, qualifying, off field stuff) within the current 25 will be processed. It'll start happening this week. 

Unpopular opinion...

I don't think we take both QBs currently committed, or if we do, one wears a GRAY SHIRT.

Not out of the question another QB jumps on the scene, along with a second RB.

We'll sign almost all of them in December.  More than 20 for sure.

I'll do another recruiting podcast soon enough. 

• 2 weeks later...

When you have better players waiting to sign, what to do? We have waited on a player right up to signing day, only to have them flip to another school. Some won’t have grades, one has other problems , etc. This will take care of itself. This is the recruiting game, but to coaches, their job. When your job hinges on a 18 year old kid, anything can happen. 

aTm only has 5 graduating Sr’s, they will sign 25 this year. Some will be processed. 

As for LSU, we will work the numbers, as always. If you don’t sign in the early signing period, you are right Fish, we move on. Can’t keep waiting for a kid to pull a hat out of a bag. You give us a verbal, then want to take another visit? We move on. O and the staff don’t have to play games anymore. 

• Like 1

LSU suffers second decommitment of the week as 4-star defender reopens his recruitment

Lucas Panzica | 6 hours ago

LSU is one of the hottest teams in college football, blazing a path towards the College Football Playoff with a Heisman frontrunner at quarterback after starting the season 11-0.

Head coach Ed Orgeron has always been a relentless and talented recruiter, but this run could aid him in hauling in one of his top classes ever at LSU, with several blue-chip prospects already on board.

00:14
04:39

00:02

However, this week has not been kind to LSU on the recruiting trail, as the Tigers saw a second prospect retract his verbal pledge.

This time, it was 2020 prospect Alec Bryant from Pearland, Texas. A four-star defensive end per the 247 Sports Composite, Bryant decommitted and reopened his recruitment on his Twitter page on Sunday.

Pearland has an impressive offer list, but Vanderbilt and Arkansas are the only other two programs with offers on the table for the defensive prospect.

Bryant’s decommitment comes less than a week removed from in-state, four-star defensive tackle Jalen Lee’s decision to back off his commitment to LSU. Following these two decommitments, the Tigers have 23 players committed in the 2020 recruiting cycle, leaving them with two spots open in the class.

• Like 1

Take Two: Should LSU be concerned with decommitments?

Alec Bryant

Alec Bryant (Sam Spiegelman)
Adam Gorney, Mike Farrell, Sam Spiegelman
Rivals.com

Take Two returns with a daily offering tackling an issue in the college football landscape. Rivals.com National Recruiting Analyst Adam Gorney lays out the situation and then receives takes from Rivals.com National Recruiting Director Mike Farrell and an expert from the Rivals.com network of team sites or a regional analyst.

THE STORYLINE

LSU is No. 1 in the team recruiting rankings and was No. 1 in the College Football Playoff rankings until it dropped a spot on Tuesday night. 

Yet this past week the Tigers endured two decommitments.

Four-star defensive end 

Alec Bryant from Pearland (Texas) Shadow Creek backed off his LSU pledge as Oklahoma and others pursue, but the bigger surprise was when four-star defensive tackle 
Jalen Leedecommitted in recent days.

Rated as the No. 16 defensive tackle nationally and a Rivals250 prospect, Lee is from Watson (La.) Live Oak, which is fewer than 20 miles from LSU’s campus. He had been in LSU’s class since the summer and has closely watched the Tigers dominate college football this season.

But now another SEC school could benefit from Lee’s decision as LSU looks to fill out its class, possibly with even higher-rated prospects. Five-star running back 

Zachary Evans is a top target. High four-star 
McKinnley Jackson remains very much in the mix. There’s an outside shot at five-star 
Jordan Burch and others.

Elite prospects should come flocking to LSU.

Were the recent decommitments, especially that of Lee, a concern for this Tigers’ recruiting class or was room needed for even more high-end prospects as LSU works toward its first team recruiting title since 2003?

Jalen Lee

Jalen Lee (Sam Spiegelman)

FIRST TAKE: SAM SPIEGELMAN, TEXAS & LOUISIANA ANALYST

“You can look at it from both sides. LSU has to make room for some of its final targets, but the Tigers were extremely high on Lee. He lives just a couple minutes from campus, but Lee wanted to further investigate his other options as well. It works out for both sides. 

"The benefactor is Florida. He’s already scheduled his official visit there. Defensive line coach David Turner has continued to recruit him despite his commitment to LSU over the summer and the opportunity for Florida to load up on D-linemen in 2020 benefits Lee, so this looks like a match waiting to be made.”

SECOND TAKE: MIKE FARRELL, NATIONAL RECRUITING DIRECTOR

“When you get into a situation that a lot of people didn’t expect you to get into, which means the No. 1 class in the country and the No. 1 team in the country (until Tuesday night), you get more kids contacting you. I’m not saying LSU dropped them, but it could be something that helps the Tigers down the line.

“LSU will not have a problem filling that scholarship. Florida is the team that’s going to take advantage of this with Lee, but it’s not a big loss at all. LSU will use that scholarship to get somebody equally as good or even better or even pocket it for the transfer portal.”

BREAKING: Xavier Hill commits to LSU

By Mike Scarborough
November 28, 2019

Class of 2020 offensive guard Xavier Hill‍ has given LSU and Ed Orgeron a Happy Thanksgiving commitment.  

The 6-foot-3, 325-pound Hill from Olive Branch, Missisippi gives LSU 24 commitments for the class of 2020.  He was at one time committed to Alabama but back off of that pledge.  

“I would like to thank my family for always beliving in me and supporting me through this process. I would also like to thank my coaches for developing me and keeping my head on straight through this process. With that being said I will be playing for Coach O and will be commiting to THE Louisiana State University. Geaux Tigers!”

LSU beat out Mississippi State, Ole Piss, Auburn and many others for Hill. 

• Like 1

Big-time Mississippi prospect, former Alabama pledge Xavier Hill, commits to LSU

SDS Staff | 12 hours ago

Ed Orgeron and LSU will certainly have a Happy Thanksgiving!

Three-star offensive lineman Xavier Hill (Olive Branch, Mississippi) committed to LSU over offers from Alabama, Mississippi State and Ole Piss, among others. The 6-3, 325-pound lineman had been previously committed to Alabama; however, he backed off that pledge in early October.

00:04
04:39

Hill is ranked as the nation’s No. 25 overall offensive guard and the state of Mississippi’s No. 9 overall prospect for the class of 2020, according to 247Sports Composite Rankings.

While this is a big commitment for LSU, it’s a huge loss for both Ole Piss and Mississippi State … even on the day of the Egg Bowl game.

Hill shared his commitment via Twitter below:

You can watch Hill’s high school highlights below:

LSU Football’s 2020 Class Is Hitting A Crunch

By Paul Crewe@ATVS_PaulCrewe  Nov 25, 2019, 4:26pm CST

LSU v MississippiPhoto by Jonathan Bachman/Getty Images

A month ago, I put together a look ahead of what’s to come as national signing day rapidly approaches for the 2020 LSU signing class. This came shortly after LSU pulled three high profile commits to add to their already overstocked list of verbal pledges. Since the new rules strictly limit schools to signing just 25 players a class, it is transparently obvious that LSU would have to do some pruning to their current commit list to nab all the players on their wish list. 

It’s been only a month and though we have more data, things are murkier than they’ve ever been. So let’s work backwards through the headlines to try and make sense of where things stand.

Jalen Lee Decommits

This one came as a little bit of a shocker. Lee visited Ole Piss unofficially for the LSU game but quickly came out and re-affirmed his commitment to LSU. Days later, he opened things back up. Ole Piss, Alabama and Florida could all be at play here.

To me, this reeks of LSU feeling bigger fish are on the way. That’s not intended as a slight on Lee’s ability, as he’s still an SEC caliber player. In most years, Lee would be a lock to sign with this class, especially as he plays just up the road in Watson (shout out to Adam Henderson). But it’s clear LSU surveyed their remaining targets, surveyed their current verbal commitments and identified the pieces they felt most comfortable moving on from. He fits LSU’s scheme as a true 3 or 4 tech end, with good size, too. So why move on?

First, let’s talk about Jordan Burch. If LSU were to add DL targets, it didn’t make sense for the attrition to come from other parts of the class. So this is the staff making a play for what they feel are upgrades. Burch is the no. 2 overall player in the class. He’s been heavily rumored to be a Clemson lean throughout the process, but quietly murmurs are rising that LSU are surging. What’s the smoke? Well, Burch’s good friend just committed to the LSU baseball team:

God is good!! Humbled to announce that I will be continuing my education and athletic career at Louisiana State University, I want to thank my family, my coaches, my friends, and my teammates for pushing me to be the best player and person I can be!@dirtbag_swag

View image on Twitter

Burch visited LSU officially for the Auburn game, with his mother in tow. He took in Alabama fortunately to watch us beat them. Those are his only official visits to date and he’s since canceled a planned trip to Clemson. Burch is committing on the first day of the early signing period, December 19th and as of today has no further visits planned. This would be an astonishing recruiting pull and Burch is a truly elite DL talent. 

The other name to keep an eye on is McKinnley Jackson. Jackson once committed to LSU as a sophomore, but eventually wound up opening things back up. Jackson won’t pull the trigger until February and he’s been a tough read throughout the process. He visited Alabama in September and trips to Auburn, LSU, Ole Piss and Texas A&M loom. I’ve seen predictions range from InbredGumps to Texas A&M, but LSU seems to keep coming up in the conversation. Jackson’s more of a true 0-tech, which LSU just landed when Jacobian Guillory went public, but building a deep DL rotation remains a constant priority for Coach O. Where things will get interesting is if another of LSU’s DL commits, Eric Taylor, really starts shopping. There’s rumors he may be eyeing some visits to SEC schools and while he may not publicly decommit like Lee, his status may be in the exact same position. 

If Taylor leaves, it’s clear the staff is angling to swap Lee and Taylor for Burch & Jackson. Or, more matter of factly, swapping a pair of top 300 players for a top 10 and top 100 one. That’s a trade off any coach in America would make.

Alec Bryant Decommits

The other piece here is EDGE Alec Bryant re-opening his process yesterday. Bryant committed to LSU back in February. There’s probably a little more nuance to Bryant’s case, though it’s eerily similar to Jalen Lee. LSU kept pursuing top talents nationally, once the picture cleared and they emerged as favorites for several top targets, Bryant became a redundancy. There’s also the potential that he’s not as clear of a scheme fit as their other targets. While Bryant’s build matches Ojulari and Clowney (LSU’s two other EDGE commits), he doesn’t offer near the athleticism. Now that Phillip Webb, another 5-star type of talent, looks increasingly more likely, that makes four players at the same role, three of which offer a more total package than Bryant.

The other path for Bryant is to bulk him way up and make him a 3 or 4 tech DE, but that seems just as unlikely. Bryant looks more like a vintage 4-3 DE, the type of guy in a John Chavis scheme. It’s one of those things where the staff probably felt he was good enough to take and use as an OLB but as soon as better options seemed viable, they decided to walk that path. 

What this means is that Webb is a near lock to pick LSU. The crystal ball is tilted heavily in our favor these days. And his only remaining visit is to Florida this weekend. They aren’t considered a real contender for his services. By the by, if we pull this off... hat tip to Dave Aranda, whose recruiting is often maligned. He’s the primary recruiter and main reason Phillip Webb is interested in LSU and the primary recruiter for Antoine Sampah, a Virginia LB. Two top 50 OOS players with a litany of top tier offers. The guy can recruit.

Remaining 2020 Targets

The list isn’t terribly different from a month ago. Zach Evans is the RB target the staff would like to close with. Marcus Dumervil is atop the OT board. Guys like Ty’Kieast Crawford, Xavier Hill and Edgerrin Cooper are worth monitoring, but my guess is all would be more backup type options at this stage in the game. 

LSU’s close is going to be epic and their class is already near tops in the nation.

2022 Commitment!

To cap it all off, LSU nabbed the no. 1 CB from the 2022 class, Khamauri Rogers. Long way to go here, but here’s some highlights:

IF Rogers stays as the no. 1 CB in America for 2022 AND he stays committed to LSU, it would be the 3rd straight season LSU inked one of the top 2 overall CBs in a given signing class. From Stingley (1) to Ricks (2) to Rogers (1). It’s too bad Pat Surtain Jr. went to Alabama and will miss out on the fun.

One More Nugget

The nation’s no. 1 ranked dual threat QB for the 2021 cycle, Caleb Williams, is heading to Baton Rouge for an unofficial visit starting Wednesday. He will stay in town through the Thanksgiving holiday and to watch LSU square off with Texas A&M this weekend. Georgia’s been the early favorite here, but momentum is starting to pick up for LSU. I can imagine the hot stadium and watching Joe Burrow light things up could stir some emotions. Could LSU kickstart that 2021 class with a major pull this early?

• Like 2