Gameday Tigers

LSU vs Auburn ..... 2:30 ..... CBS

Nutriaitch

That was a helluva game!  Great effort by both teams.  Big difference in the game was at the QB position, our 5th year Sr. outplayed their freshman.  It was meant to be.  We have a very good d-line, they have an elite d-line, and their defense kept them in the game.  Kept me on the edge of my seat.  I don't think Stingley has a concussion or we would not have seen him re-enter the game.  I'll still take our secondary over any in the nation.  I like the players back there.  My biggest concern is Delpit's ankle.

I think we have to give a shout out to our o-line.  They were really in a dog fight, and they fought all afternoon.  They won some and they lost some, but they fought enough to win the game.  I don't think anyone left anything on the field.

• Like 1

Just now, dachsie said:

Ok - so here is my thing about why I was complaining about the running.  I feel like we were trying to not lose the game instead of winning the game.  Same thing that has bit us in the ass many times before.

at the time we were running, it was the absolute right decision. 

and actually on our 2nd to last possession i would have run 3 times rather than 2 passes. 

My only complaint about the actual play calling was the red zone crap.  Run run run there was NOT the right call IMO.  Especially when we went on 4th and THEN threw the flanker screen.  That should've been used on 2nd down IMO. 

Just re-watched the end of the game.  Sting did not return.  Nobody on defense did.  He got hurt, they scored, they attempted onside kick, we recovered, ball game. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fishhead said:

And.........why tf were we handing the ball off at all at the very end?  3 knees and go home. Why risk that?

needed to run on first snap.

but once there was a penalty that repeated first down (combined with time burned on first snap), 3 knees wins it. 

5 minutes ago, Fishhead said:

My only complaint about the actual play calling was the red zone crap.  Run run run there was NOT the right call IMO.  Especially when we went on 4th and THEN threw the flanker screen.  That should've been used on 2nd down IMO. 

Just re-watched the end of the game.  Sting did not return.  Nobody on defense did.  He got hurt, they scored, they attempted onside kick, we recovered, ball game. 

yeah didn’t agree with that sequencing. 

also didn’t care that we didn’t try to run wide at least once instead of into the stacked deck down that close 

• Like 1

Point is, you can't nitpick about running the ball when it DOESN'T work and praise it when Clyde completely crams the ball down their throats to essentially put the game away with that last TD.  It may not be as "fun" to watch, but it's the right call and Clyde had the hot hand. I just think we needed more variety in the red zone instead of straight up the middle 3 times straight. 

5 minutes ago, Fishhead said:

Listening to post game show.  

Per them, Delpit came back out of locker room, but no word.  Cholly doesn't think it's "terrible" but we need to wait til tomorrow. 

Trying to find word on Sting now. 

Sting looked like he was holding his eye area.  then they showed him on bench with rest of secondary and nobody looking over him.   Judging strictly by looks, looked like the unit (including Sting) was ready to enter the game if they had gotten the ball back. 

Delpit absolutely came back to sideline and was seen running/jogging on it.  Hel feel it over next couple days though so we gonna have to keep an eye on it. 

2 minutes ago, Fishhead said:

Point is, you can't nitpick about running the ball when it DOESN'T work and praise it when Clyde completely crams the ball down their throats to essentially put the game away with that last TD.  It may not be as "fun" to watch, but it's the right call and Clyde had the hot hand. I just think we needed more variety in the red zone instead of straight up the middle 3 times straight. 

in 2nd half once they started wearing down, i would have given them an even healthier dose of Clyde and Davis-Price. 

you could see they were really close to the point of not wanting anymore of that coming at them. 

Just now, Nutriaitch said:

in 2nd half once they started wearing down, i would have given them an even healthier dose of Clyde and Davis-Price. 

you could see they were really close to the point of not wanting anymore of that coming at them. 

Yeah, but they stopped us that one time on 3rd and it seems like it rejuvenated them.  They were wearing down. 

1 hour ago, dachsie said:

Ok - so here is my thing about why I was complaining about the running.  I feel like we were trying to not lose the game instead of winning the game.  Same thing that has bit us in the ass many times before.

Not really.  We were 10 points up with 7 minutes in the game.  Our biggest enemy was the clock.  The more we run it down and take it away from Auburn, the better our chance to win.  Their offense was not a quick strike offense.  When Miles used to go into that routine, many times we were only ONE score in front of the opponent, because Miles shut our offense down too early in the game, when teams actually had a chance to score, and Miles turned the game over to the defense.  Then sometimes we lost.  O played it right, and we won.

When you have over 500yds of offense against that level defense, the play calling wasn't the issue. 

Execution lacked at times,  including Joe with that God awful interception and missing a couple (literally) throws.

Red zone playcalling and execution sucked after Marshall's TD early

Joe Burrow extends two LSU passing records, but red zone streak falls in Auburn win

• BY SHELDON MICKLES | Staff writer
  • PUBLISHED OCT 26, 2019 AT 10:36 PM | UPDATED OCT 26, 2019 AT 10:52 PM

BR.lsuauburnmain1348.102719 bf.jpg

LSU quarterback Joe Burrow (9) looks for a receiver downfield during the first half of LSU's football game against Auburn at Tiger Stadium Saturday Oct. 26, 2019, in Baton Rouge, La.

STAFF PHOTO BY BILL FEIG

Every time Joe Burrow steps on the field this season, there's a good chance he leaves it with some form of new LSU record. 

In LSU's 23-20 win over Auburn, the senior quarterback simply extended what he's already claimed.

Burrow went of 32-of-42 passing for 321 yards and a touchdown to Terrace Marshall in the second quarter. The passing score was his 30th on the season, extending the mark single-season record he set against Mississippi State a week ago.

Burrow has also completed at least 20 passes in 11 consecutive games, which now bests the previous mark by eight games. Former LSU quarterback Tommy Hodson previously held the record with three such games in a row by back in 1987.

Burrow tied Hodson's mark when he had at least 20 completions in the final three games of the 2018 season, then broke it in the season opener against Georgia Southern.

But on the opposite end, a run that's helped identify LSU's dominant offense did fall in the game. When a 4th-down attempt failed deep in Auburn territory in the second half, a streak of 45 consecutive red zone trips resulting in points came to an end. LSU had previously scored points on every trip inside its opponents' 20-yard line, a streak that started with its final four possessions last season.

image.png

I looked at the game again, and I have the feeling that the game was not as close as the score indicated.  LSU left a couple of TD's out there, and handed Auburn some points (uncharacteristically).  This should be just the game to have before InbredGumps, as it will show the need to polish up, improve execution, hang onto the ball. 

• Like 1

LSU-Auburn Game Most Watched on Saturday

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Story Links

BATON ROUGE – For the second time in three weeks, LSU and Tiger Stadium were home to the most-watched college football game of the week on Saturday when the Tigers beat Auburn, 23-20 in Death Valley.

Televised on CBS, the LSU-Auburn game drew 7.175 million viewers, easily the most-watched college football game on Saturday. The contest delivered a 13 percent increase in viewership over last year's comparable game (Georgia vs. Florida).

Three week ago, the LSU-Florida telecast on ESPN was the most-watched college football game on that network in nearly two years as the contest averaged 6.45 million viewers.

Birmingham was the top-rated market for the game with a 40.3 rating, followed by New Orleans at 27.7. Columbus, Ohio, registered a 13.0, followed by Atlanta (12.4) and Jacksonville (11.3).

LSU returns to action on Nov. 9 when the top-ranked Tigers travel to Tuscaloosa to face second-ranked Alabama in one of the most anticipated games of the college football season. CBS will once again televise the LSU-Alabama game, which will kickoff at 2:30 p.m. CT from Bryant-Denny Stadium.