Gameday Tigers

The Analysts

houtiger

OK, its bye week.  We have not talked about the impact of LSU expanding the number of analysts on the Tiger staff.  These guys must be looking at film, finding tendencies, writing reports to the coaching staff, maybe participating in game planning.  Then you have John Robinson, who O can talk to about head coaching things, how to handle situations.

Does anybody know what is going on with these guys?  Can you see any influence?  We will probably win more games this year, with perhaps our toughest schedule in years.  Well Moo U, Ole Piss, Arky are down from recent history...  But, InbredGumps will be our fourth top 10 team this year, that's pretty stout.  Has there been one offensive analyst and one defensive analyst dedicated to watching InbredGumps games each week and writing reports (I might do that if I had a bunch of analysts).

4 hours ago, houtiger said:

OK, its bye week.  We have not talked about the impact of LSU expanding the number of analysts on the Tiger staff.  These guys must be looking at film, finding tendencies, writing reports to the coaching staff, maybe participating in game planning.  Then you have John Robinson, who O can talk to about head coaching things, how to handle situations.

Does anybody know what is going on with these guys?  Can you see any influence?  We will probably win more games this year, with perhaps our toughest schedule in years.  Well Moo U, Ole goldenshower, Arky are down from recent history...  But, InbredGumps will be our fourth top 10 team this year, that's pretty stout.  Has there been one offensive analyst and one defensive analyst dedicated to watching InbredGumps games each week and writing reports (I might do that if I had a bunch of analysts).

Of course all are focused on InbredGumps now.  That's a good question if any were focused on InbredGumps prior to today.  I'm sure game films were reviewed for all of our upcoming opponents.  By how many of the analysts is a good question.

• 1 month later...

OK, we're through the season 13-0, SEC Champs.  The most analysts on the staff.  One thing about O, he has been aggressive about trying new things, and not afraid to copy what works.  This he copied from Saban.  If you can't beat them, join them.  O got his hands on the InbredGumps analyst scouting report on LSU (suspect it came from Kiffin), and O said he was amazed that they had LSU so well scouted, far beyond what LSU had done on InbredGumps.  Then O went out and got himself a bunch of analysts.  It appears to me that it is one of the reasons we did so well this season.  Game plan wise, we always looked well prepared.

Here's to the analysts, and to being prepared!

So, they are working over OK, and I would have a couple of them working on Ohio St. and Clemson.

• Like 3

I’ll tell you what I know, anytime we are on offense, look for the guy with the headsets, glasses, in on all calls. When the offense huddles near the sidelines, he’s the guy in the middle. I’ve been wanting to get to him for a while, I know Fish was asking about a QB Coach, check his resume out. This too, was a major hire, 

A little more info...

Former Cajuns offensive coordinator Jorge Munoz hired by LSU as offensive analyst

UL offensive coordinator Jorge Munoz speaks to media members Wednesday.
UL offensive coordinator Jorge Munoz speaks to media members Wednesday.
SCOTT CLAUSE/THE ADVERTISER

GLENN GUILBEAU | USA TODAY NETWORK | 4:29 pm CST February 1, 2018

icon-sms_24.svg icon-facebook_24.svg icon-twitter_24.svg icon-mail_24.svg

BATON ROUGE — The more the merrier for LSU's latest  "new" offense is how coach Ed Orgeron sees it.

Orgeron has hired former University of Louisiana at Lafayette offensive coordinator Jorge Munoz as an offensive analyst, Munoz said on his Twitter account, which was in turn confirmed by a LSU contact.

"GOD answers Prayers. On to the next chapter. Excited and honored to join the staff at LSU Football. Geaux Tigers," Munoz said on his Twitter account Wednesday night.

His claim was confirmed Thursday morning.

Munoz, 42, will be one of many set to assist with LSU's offense under newly promoted offensive coordinator Steve Ensminger, newly hired passing game coordinator Jerry Sullivan, newly hired offensive line coach/run game coordinator James Cregg, running backs coach Tommie Robinson and wide receivers coach Mickey Joseph.

Ensminger replaced the fired Matt Canada after one season as offensive coordinator shortly after LSU's loss to Notre Dame in the Citrus Bowl on Jan. 1. Ensminger is LSU's fourth offensive coordinator since early in the 2016 season.  

44483291001_5708676867001_5708648867001-vs.jpg?pubId=44483291001
"Great moments are born on great opportunity"
/GLENN GUILBEAU/USA TODAY NETWORK

Munoz was the Cajuns' offensive coordinator in 2016 before a demotion back to wide receivers coach in 2017 by coach Mark Hudspeth, who was fired after the past season and is now the associate head coach/tight ends coach at Mississippi State. Munoz was not retained by new UL coach Billy Napier.

Munoz was successful as the Cajuns' wide receivers coach from 2011-15 as UL set the school record for passing offense in 2011 with 3,503 yards, for total offense in 2012 with 5,914 yards and for touchdowns with 59 in 2013. He was retained from previous Cajuns' coach Rickey Bustle's staff by Hudspeth, who took over after the 2010 season.

Munoz was the Cajuns pass game coordinator and quarterbacks coach from 2008-10 under Bustle, and UL set the then record for total offense with 5,390 yards and 54 touchdowns in 2008.

Former UL record setting quarterback Blaine Gautier of Lutcher was coached by Munoz from 2008-11. Gautier was hired as an administrative intern with the LSU football program in 2015 and was an analyst in the 2017 season.

Munoz was previously the offensive coordinator at Eastern Illinois in 2007 and previously coached at Charleston Southern, Anderson College, Southeast Missouri and Bethany College, where he was an All-American quarterback.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Rabalais: Analysts like Jorge Munoz big part of LSU football's ascendency the past two seasons

1 of 3
burrowheisman.121519 HS 871.jpg

A video in Times Square honors LSU quarterback Joe Burrow after he won the Heisman Memorial Trophy, Saturday, December 14, 2019, in New York City.

• STAFF PHOTO BY HILARY SCHEINUK

Jorge.Munoz.jpg

LSU offensive analyst Jorge Munoz

• PHOTO PROVIDED BY LSU SPORTS INFORMATION

image.png.62625b58f6b689754374e362e8f6101b.png

Wide receivers Coach Jorge Munoz works with players during a University of Louisiana at Lafayette football practice Monday, July 31, 2017, in Lafayette, La.

• Advocate staff photo by LESLIE WESTBROOK

ATLANTA — His name announced as the Heisman Trophy winner, LSU quarterback Joe Burrow stood up and hugged his fellow finalists, then his parents and his coach, Ed Orgeron. He worked his way down a row, shaking hands with Gov. John Bel Edwards and athletic director Scott Woodward, embracing passing game coordinator Joe Brady and offensive coordinator Steve Ensminger.

Before heading back across the room for a moment with Ohio State coach Ryan Day, then taking the podium, there was one more hug. One for a man a lot of people probably didn’t recognize, unless they were true scholars when it comes to college football in Louisiana: LSU offensive analyst and former UL wide receivers coach Jorge Munoz.

“Congrats, my boy,” Munoz told Burrow in his ear. “I’m proud of you.”

At the post-ceremony news conference, Burrow fussed at himself for forgetting to mention tailback Clyde Edwards-Helaire (no, he still hasn’t practiced here this week at the Peach Bowl), but Burrow made a point to thank his offensive coaches, including his offensive analyst.

“Coach Joe, coach Steve, coach Munoz are all here,” Burrow said. “You guys have helped me through so much, understanding the game, putting so much on my plate. I couldn’t ask for a better group of coaches to help me be successful.”

That Burrow invited an analyst, one of the largely unseen football support staff, to be with him in New York on one of the biggest nights of his life spoke volumes about the role a coach like Munoz and LSU’s other analysts have played in the program’s ascendence over the past two seasons.

In 2017, LSU had five off-the-field analysts — coaches who work the data but don’t actually coach a position — and the program was way behind. Orgeron convinced then-athletic director Joe Alleva to budget for 10 in 2018, helping LSU win 10 games and make its first New Year’s Six appearance in the Fiesta Bowl.

This season, LSU has 15 analysts — mostly former NFL and college assistant coaches like Munoz — plus two consultants: former Los Angeles Rams and Southern California coach John Robinson and ex-Saints special teams coordinator Bobby April.

That LSU’s record the past two seasons, a combined 23-3, has coincided with the expanded support staff is no accident, Orgeron said.

“These guys have made all the difference in the world,” Orgeron said Thursday during Peach Bowl media day at the College Football Hall of Fame.

“I think it’s a direct result in our success. We were so behind. Now we have the power, the knowledge, the advanced scouting, analysts breaking down everything we’re doing. We have answers for our players. Our coaches are able to get more information a lot quicker, put in the game plan a lot quicker.”

The analysts dig through tons of videotape on upcoming opponents, charting trends. Identifying tendencies. Their work frees up the position coaches to focus on game-planning. Think of the on-the-field coaches as people sitting at a terminal in mission control at NASA. Behind each of those seats is a support team feeding them information, the analysts.

“We’re not having the success we’ve had without them,” said passing game coordinator Joe Brady, the wunderkind addition to the staff who won this year’s Frank Broyles Award as the nation’s top assistant coach. “It makes our lives easier. You’re learning about stuff instead of having to figure it out.”

The work these analysts do veers headlong into minutiae territory. Munoz, who spent 10 seasons in a variety of positions at UL, including offensive coordinator, specializes in blitz protections.

“While we’re game-planning on Monday and Tuesday and setting up our first- and second-down game plan, Jorge is kind of setting up our blitz package on first and second down that we can send to Joe (Burrow),” Ensminger said. “On Tuesday, he’ll put together our third-down blitz package to present to Joe. The stuff he stays ahead of for me and Brady is outstanding.”

As the season went on and LSU remained at the top of the national offensive stats, teams tried again and again to change up their defensive schemes in an effort (often futile) to cross up the wires of the Tigers’ attack.

Munoz helps Burrow snip through those wires and remain prolific game after game.

“He’s meant so much to me,” Burrow said. “He helps me get those third-down blitzes picked up every week. So many teams have super-exotic packages, and he narrows it down to one, two, three things that my eyes have to look at so I can get these blitzes picked up. That’s a big reason why we’re one of the top third-down teams in the country.”

LSU, which ranks No. 1 nationally in total offense, ranks No. 6 in converting third downs at a 50.6 percent clip, just a step behind Oklahoma at 50.7.

“He’s the MVP in my room,” Ensminger said of Munoz.

Burrow said he expects Munoz to get a full-time coaching job again soon, so whether he is back in an analyst role after the College Football Playoff is an unknown.

But Munoz has already had an impact on LSU’s quarterbacking future. Nikki Johnson, mother of incoming freshman quarterback Max Johnson, recently named the coaches their family got to know during her son’s recruitment.

She mentioned Orgeron, of course, and Ensminger and Brady.

And Munoz.

LSU football analysts

Roy Anderson, lead analyst — Former Chicago Bears assistant defensive back coach

Kevin Cosgrove — Former New Mexico defensive coordinator

Kevin Coyle — Former Cincinnati Bengals defensive backs coach

Blaine Gautier — Former UL quarterback, wide receivers analyst

Mark Hutson — Former Cleveland Browns assistant offensive line coach

Dennis Johnson — Defensive line coach, moved to analyst role this season while recovering from serious knee injuries

DJ Mangas — Former William & Mary offensive coordinator

August Mangin — Defensive analyst, former LSU player and former Alabama analyst

Jeff Martin, lead player personnel analyst — LSU graduate and former LSU player personnel assistant

Jorge Munoz — Former Louisiana wide receivers coach, passing game analyst

Aaron Schwanz — Former Southeastern Louisiana linebackers coach/special teams coordinator

Tyler Spotts-Orgeron — Former LSU volunteer assistant, stepson of LSU coach Ed Orgeron

Kenechi Udeze — Former Southern California defensive line coach, All-American defensive end under Orgeron at USC

Ronnie Wheat, lead defensive analyst — Former coach at Millsaps

Caleb Young — Former SLU linebacker and assistant coach at Sam Rayburn High School, Pasadena, Texas

Consultants

John Robinson — Former head coach of USC and Los Angeles Rams

Bobby April — Former Saints special teams coordinator

image.png

image.png

Edited by LSUDad
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

It has been said before, one of Orgeron's better traits is his willingness to change and adapt.  He did not invent the use of a large staff of analysts, I think Nick did that.  But O is smart enough to look over at what works and incorporate (OK...., COPY) and use it himself.  Thankfully the AD approved the positions, that was supporting Ed.  Looks like it has helped, to me.

Many have said lately that Miles was stubborn, I heard commentators on TV say it in the run-up to the game.

Edited by houtiger